PDA

View Full Version : Have you ever heard of peak oil? Modern civilization is screwed lol.

AmandaNerdBot
10-11-2014, 08:05 AM
I think modern industrialized civilization is doomed because of peak oil. What is peak oil you might ask? Peak oil is basically when you reach your maximum oil (petroleum) production. At peak oil, you can't produce anymore oil than you are already producing.

Why does peak oil matter? It is because we recently reached it. We can't produce anymore oil than we are currently producing. After you reach peak oil, your oil production will decrease, because oil is a finite resource. Once you use up our oil, it is essentially gone forever because oil is a nonrenewable resource. We only have a few more decades of oil left in the ground.

This is why peak oil REALLY matters. Our modern day civilization is totally and utterly reliant on oil. Simply without oil, our modern civilization will collapse. Even our food production is totally and utterly reliant on oil. Without oil, we can't even produce enough food to feed our current population. Without oil, we will have billions of people starve to death. Yes, according to my research, we can't even feed our present population without oil. That's why peak oil is so important. When we run out of oil, our global population will most likely decrease because we can't feed our present (or future) population without oil.

Our economy is also totally and utterly reliant on oil. When you take oil out of the equation, our economy will also totally collapse. I expect an economic depression as bad, if not worse, than the Great Depression, once we run out of oil. The upcoming depression resulting from the absence of oil will be much worse than the Great Depression because this depression is caused by nature rather than being a speculative bubble. Like I mentioned before, we have already reached peak oil. Expect our oil production to soon decline after reaching the peak of oil production. And our economy and food production will decline once our oil production starts to decline. Expect food prices to increase and unemployment to increase. There is NO WAY our economy will get better once our oil production decreases after peak oil.

We will not instantly run out of oil. Instead, the price of oil will gradually increase as the supply decreases. The price of oil will eventually become so expensive that we can't afford it anymore. And once oil becomes too expensive for anyone to afford it, modern industrialized civilization will completely collapse...food production will halt, and massive famine and starvation will ensure.

Don't expect alternative energies to oil to save the day because alternative energies to oil are very highly underdeveloped at the current moment. Also, alternative energies to oil (i.e. wind, solar, hydroelectricity, biofuels, and geothermal) are not going to be enough to compensate for the void left by the absence of fossil fuels (i.e. oil, coal and natural gas). There is NO alternative energy that can make up for the energy void left by the absence of fossil fuels, so when we run out of fossil fuels, we are truly screwed.

Expect a complete collapse of human civilization within the next couple of decades as our oil supply decreases. Like I already said, we will probably completely exhaust our oil supply within the next couple of decades at the current rate of consumption, and once we exhaust our oil supplies, we are completely screwed. Expect overpopulation to completely reverse, as our current human population plummets as our oil supply is completely exhausted. Food production will go down as our oil supply decreases, until there is massive famine and starvation across our globe once we run out of oil.

Expect modern civilization to collapse once we run out of oil. Don't expect humanity to reach the stars one day because we destroyed our one and only planet before we could leave it. Humanity is pathetic. All we do is overpopulate this planet and exhaust its limited natural resources, which results in our eventual demise. If only humanity was wiser and didn't overpopulate this planet and exhaust its natural resources, I would actually have hope for humanity. But I have no hope for humanity, as humanity is nothing more than a pathetic cancer to this planet. We are killing this planet through overpopulation, and we will be purged off this planet once we run out of natural resources.

DeathBlade/13.666
10-11-2014, 12:59 PM
First off, I've changed your thread title. Foul language isn't kosher here, regardless of the dire straights we may be in. Second off, though you present a logical argument it's lacking in facts. You say we've reached a point of usage in resources that the effects will not be reversible, but what do you have to prove it? I don't see any statistical evidence, nor anything that shows how much in reserve or yet untapped still left on the planet. You claim you have research, show us. Otherwise there's nothing more than an impassioned anecdotal argument.

AmandaNerdBot
10-11-2014, 03:26 PM
First off, I've changed your thread title. Foul language isn't kosher here, regardless of the dire straights we may be in. Second off, though you present a logical argument it's lacking in facts. You say we've reached a point of usage in resources that the effects will not be reversible, but what do you have to prove it? I don't see any statistical evidence, nor anything that shows how much in reserve or yet untapped still left on the planet. You claim you have research, show us. Otherwise there's nothing more than an impassioned anecdotal argument.
You want proof that human civilization is going to collapse in the absence of oil? Here it is. Watch this Youtube video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IVd-zAXACrU

Qoco
10-11-2014, 04:34 PM
This reminds me of Jesse Ventura's theory of why the US is in the middle east. Supposedly there's a vein of lithium over there, and lithium is used for cellphones, computers and note: "soon-to-be electric cars". Basically batteries.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f__5d7k9qUU

Cross Avantgarde
10-11-2014, 06:10 PM
Some of the valid and factual points you made include the following:

Oil is a finite resource (fossil fuels are technically renewable, but take so long to develop that they are considered finite)

Many countries have a huge economic stake in oil

Alternative energy is underdeveloped at the moment

The grand irony of it all, however, is that the world oil market is currently overflowing. There is plenty of oil being refined as well as being discovered. As DeathBlade/13.666 said, we’re going to need some sources for the more strident of your claims. The film you provided has Michael Ruppert claiming that pretty much all commodities are at their “peak” and this claim is simply not true (though it has been true for a few things already in human history). He makes this bold claim at the beginning of the 57 minute mark.

Here’s an excellent source, and you can also follow daily costs of a barrel of oil at this site: http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2014-10-10/wti-oil-extends-bear-market-tumble-on-global-glut.html (http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2014-10-10/wti-oil-extends-bear-market-tumble-on-global-glut.html)

In that article you can find the very clear claim that there is an overabundance of oil right now. Oil is still being discovered in many places, and American entrepreneurs are actually afraid that the low cost of oil right now (it’s the lowest in 2 years, in fact) will slow down the process of drilling for new sources as oil has hit a 2-year low in terms of cost. Low risk, low reward, as they say.

I suppose it could be said that this is part of the peak oil phenomenon, as this could be the highest production of oil we’ll ever see and everything else will be the decline. The analysts on the site I provide are disagreeing, but the fact does remain that peak oil could happen without us noticing it. I’ll definitely give you that much. The facts do not seem to match our current situation, however, as the link I provided and many of the links found at that site will aptly show.

There’s always the next big thing that will kill civilization, be it Y2K, an imminent meteor foretold by a Mayan calendar that somehow missed the coming of the Spanish conquistadors, or Ebola-fueled zombies. Don’t get swept away in this one. At least, not yet. We should be conscious of our energy use, and good stewards of it, but not to the point of being alarmist.

Let me end on this note: the use of finite energy is a concern, as much for the pollution of its use as for the depletion of the fuel itself. I applaud your efforts to bring something to our attention that you care about, and it certainly has more substance than many a banal thread here at this dear site that I hate to see being inundated with bad threads. In other words, I thank you for a good topic and also a video that made some excellent points . The idea that this is an imminent threat, however, is incorrect.

dragoninja
12-23-2014, 04:02 AM
what i want to know is what happens to the earth when we suck all the juice out of her

Animedude5555
12-25-2014, 06:19 AM
First off, I've changed your thread title. Foul language isn't kosher here, regardless of the dire straights we may be in.

But you failed to change it in the subject headers of all the replies in this thread. LOL
I still see the F-bomb in the subject header of every single post in this thread. LOL

DeathBlade/13.666
12-25-2014, 03:27 PM
But you failed to change it in the subject headers of all the replies in this thread. LOL
I still see the F-bomb in the subject header of every single post in this thread. LOL

1) 3 out of 7 subject headers doesn't constitute every single post.
2) Cute point, should've noticed and fixed that in the beginning.
3) It's the holiday season. Quit trying to act all superior to everyone because you happened to notice a mistake. You're still an idiot that marvels at the simplest of things and makes them out to be the greatest things ever (ie: your hacking skills). I'd prefer not to get Grinchy this year because of some tool, and if you believe it's too late for me to ruin/steal Christmas because it's the day of; think again.
4) God damn I need some coffee... >.<! 4PM is way too early for this crap...

Sympathy
12-25-2014, 03:33 PM
i'm still waiting for a mod to snap and permaban VG out of spite

DeathBlade/13.666
12-25-2014, 07:20 PM
i'm still waiting for a mod to snap and permaban VG out of spiteWhy don't you ask VG how many usernames he has that have already been permabanned?

Sympathy
12-25-2014, 09:21 PM
Why don't you ask VG how many usernames he has that have already been permabanned?

yeah i guess there's nothing stopping him.