PDA

View Full Version : in anime whats the meaning of being dark style? texhnolyze = example

Greyd
09-13-2014, 07:01 PM
when I watch texhnolyze people says its dark why its dark? whats its mean? and when I watch it I notice that something's odd that is different from other anime it even said few words and most of scenes are speechless

DeathBlade/13.666
09-13-2014, 07:17 PM
It typically means that the featured presentation contains material in it's plot and/or storyline that can be seen as gritty, dirty, or showing a more immoral/amoral side of society and humanity as a whole. When people submit that something is dark, they usually mean that this type of affect is fairly present and open/used throughout a show/movie.

ZombieWolf2508
09-13-2014, 07:38 PM
To me it means that it's more evil or deals with evil things. I'm terrible at explaining, so examples.

Hellsing Ultimate is dark because it features an extreme amount of killing. Even though it's for a good reason, killing is still morally wrong. Tha main characters, despite being on the good side, are portrayed as being evil.

Attack on Titan is dark for similar reasons. It involves a lot of killing and is very serious. It's not really humorous nor is it intended to be. It points out the flaws of humanity and how weak we can be at times.

Something like Space Dandy, on the other hand, isn't dark at all. It's very upbeat, the characters are happy, and bad things rarely happen. And when they do, it's not really a big deal. There aren't really any hardships and it's a lot more comedic. It's just all fun and games.

Kumagawa
09-16-2014, 04:21 AM
To me it means that it's more evil or deals with evil things. I'm terrible at explaining, so examples.

Hellsing Ultimate is dark because it features an extreme amount of killing. Even though it's for a good reason, killing is still morally wrong. Tha main characters, despite being on the good side, are portrayed as being evil.

Attack on Titan is dark for similar reasons. It involves a lot of killing and is very serious. It's not really humorous nor is it intended to be. It points out the flaws of humanity and how weak we can be at times.

Let me interject for a moment. Neither Hellsing nor SnK are really dark at all.
If something is dark, generally the characters show very human emotions, and the conflict is presented in a realistic way, even if the source material is scifi (for example).
None of the characters in either shows act or react like real humans would, and I'd say they are more action oriented than truly dark.
For example, the film "Die Hard" features a lot of people dying, but it's not dark at all. Characters don't, or hardly react to killing. Same in SnK. Sure, the characters get angry and sad, but none of them get traumatized to the point of being dysfunctional, like real humans would if they experienced the same things the characters do.
I think a show like Welcome to the NHK is a lot darker than SnK or Hellsing. It doesn't feature mass killings but instead handles topics that are actually serious, such as drug abuse, pedophilia, suicide, narcissism and hermit behavior, and how people deal with it.