PDA

View Full Version : Shine Down Vs.censorship

Manhattan_Project_2000
08-15-2004, 01:17 AM
OK, I was watching Rock Countdown on MTV2 not to long ago. Shine Down, a local band that recently hit it big comes on. I'm not a fan of their music, but I do like the song "Staring Down the Barrel of a .45," so I listen to it. MTV butchered it.

The chorus lyrics were changed from "Staring down the barrel of a .45" to "Staring down the ... of a ... 5." How feakin' stupid is that?

It wouldn't be near so aggravating, but it combines with the fact that later on the countdown comes Linkin Parks "Breaking the Habit," A song about Suicide/Drug Use that shows anime characters (including an anime Chester) jumping off buildings, doing drugs, and cutting themselves with glass. (I do like the song, but thats besides the point.)

Why the frickin' double standard? Its bad for Shine Down to sing about a gun suicide, but its OK for Linkin Park to have Chester jump off of roofs while other people do drugs and mutilate themselves?

Gjallarhorn
08-15-2004, 01:33 PM
hm... that has been bugging me for a while now....MTV censors some videos until they are barely music, and yet they show an anime girl on 'breaking the habit' slit her wrists.......although, they never show chester jumping in the video, just flying back up the side of the building.......but then again, consider the things they get away with on "headbangers ball"

Eris
08-16-2004, 09:48 PM
Seriously, MTV sucks, what did you expect?

They only play crap, and if they occationally do play a song worth while they dissect it to peices with pesky censorship.

nanakitoff
08-16-2004, 09:53 PM
Mtv is all rap anyway, and rap sucks.

Manhattan_Project_2000
08-16-2004, 10:08 PM
Well there are still 2 good things about MTV 2.

1) Aeon Flux
2) When the show video's that were banned/edited from MTV late nights. Granted, it's a rare event, but its nice to see things like Aphex Twin video's or the unedited NIN's "Closer" on TV.

Still, I think the censorship present on MTV sucks. And I hate how the level of censorship is mostly popularity based.

Rem
08-16-2004, 10:58 PM
i suggest you watch fuse the dont destroy the songs and they dont play alot of rap.

Manhattan_Project_2000
08-16-2004, 11:11 PM
Yeah, but Fuse only avoids the censorship by exclusively playing Vanilla, watered-down pop-punk. Which is great if you like that stuff.

But I don't.

The Enigmatic Noir
08-19-2004, 09:17 AM
Ah, that seriously sucks. 'besides, I would not call MTV it's given name anymore, I would call it Show Television as they show a lot more lame TV shows than anything else in this day and age. ..what!? They still air Aeon Flux? I thought that was gone off the air long ago. ::Laughs::

3n1
08-25-2004, 09:53 PM
Ever since MTV went on air, music was ruined