PDA

View Full Version : Do you like or hate Harem Anime?

Clayton_n
08-07-2014, 04:47 PM
Personally I used to like it, but then I realized that 99% of the time they leave us hanging and it NEVER ends!

I'm beginning to hate the indecisive losers.

http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSaILp6s9buUQ09VmLuy9tWHH4z0ZSjC Pzfyl9TXCxuH2Gu00p1nQ:i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy113/Automatic_PWNage/Random%2520Anime/Pregnant%2520Anime/1216.jpg
WE HAVE A WINNER!

lethargy
08-08-2014, 12:25 AM
They generally aren't my cup of tea, but I take them for what they're worth.

Zainox
08-08-2014, 02:08 AM
I generally don't enjoy most, but I don't hate them. I watch anything, so if it looks interesting and it's harem I'll watch it.

Albear
08-08-2014, 04:28 PM
Personally I used to like it, but then I realized that 99% of the time they leave us hanging and it NEVER ends!

I'm beginning to hate the indecisive losers.

http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSaILp6s9buUQ09VmLuy9tWHH4z0ZSjC Pzfyl9TXCxuH2Gu00p1nQ:i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy113/Automatic_PWNage/Random%2520Anime/Pregnant%2520Anime/1216.jpg
WE HAVE A WINNER!

Listen foo, if the main guy was not indecisive, then the anime would finish because there is no more competition. If it continues after he picks someone right off the bat, it won't be a harem anime anymore.

Ceris
08-08-2014, 07:06 PM
I don't like or dislike harem anime, so it's not a genre I will go for/avoid, or even think twice about. Actually, looking at my list, I tend to enjoy a lot of the harems I have watched, but not because they were harems, but usually because of the characters.

Which brings me to something that harems have that's a positive: They have a diversity of characters normally; each heroine has their own character type to appeal to different viewers.

RedPandanCake
08-09-2014, 11:47 AM
harem is not my favourite genre but i have watched/read quite a few series of anime/manga harem genre and i still do, but only if the main character is male. I do not like reverse harem. The only two i have watched and read that are reverse harem were fruit basket (in the end i stopped) and high school host club (cos haruhi is likeable and cool x) - the rest i do not like. Reverse harem always makes me get annoyed at the girl for some reason lol i enjoyed The Wolrd God only Knows, Nisekoi and Yamada to Nana non no Majo xxx etc… but it is quite rare that i would start reading/watching a harem genre though, i would be hesitant x

Lhyunsu
08-09-2014, 01:44 PM
Its not my favorite genre but theyre not bad either

Highschool DxD wasnt exactly my type of harem but shows like Heavens Lost Property and Infinite Stratos are all pretty good
Other than the main character in Infinite Stratos

Albear
08-09-2014, 11:24 PM
Highschool DxD.. i have yet to to see that one.

otakuuuu345
08-10-2014, 02:00 AM
I don't like harem. Some harem anime with an obvious choice of who she/he will end up with is annoying. Some harem anime that ends with a cliffhanger that don't reveal who she/he will end up with is also annoying. I rephrase. I hate harem.
(Bitter person over here xD)

DenjaX
08-10-2014, 04:07 PM
Highschool DxD.. i have yet to to see that one.
watch the blu-ray version or ATX xDD to avoid light beams xDD

Albear
08-11-2014, 01:29 AM
watch the blu-ray version or ATX xDD to avoid light beams xDD

Will do. :)

Clayton_n
08-11-2014, 12:09 PM
Listen foo, if the main guy was not indecisive, then the anime would finish because there is no more competition. If it continues after he picks someone right off the bat, it won't be a harem anime anymore.

That's what villains are form

Capitán
08-11-2014, 06:44 PM
Love it.

Clayton_n
08-13-2014, 04:45 PM
I don't know. I'm just tired of them not choosing in the last episode. Like Tenchi. Great series... but come on! They brougt is back after 10 years and they stillhad him marry everybody! And let's not even get started on how many girls his brother ended up with when he should have picked the elf princess.

churchill291
11-14-2014, 02:13 AM
I don't like harems for one reason. I get in the mind set of rooting for one set to have a relationship. If any of the other girls interfered I normally didn't like it ha ha! I'm just not cut out for watching stuffz like that.

Physco Fish
11-14-2014, 04:20 AM
I love them.

Minion
11-14-2014, 08:36 AM
It depends. I enjoy more serious "Harem" Anime which is rare to actually find.

GS 1.0
11-21-2014, 05:57 AM
I find it interesting when visual novels that have a harem element get turned into animes - Clannad and Rumbling Hearts to name a couple - because they often choose just one girl for the protagonist to end up with at the end and it can bring on a proper drama if the fans of other girls don't agree with it! I love the Rumbling Hearts anime, but the ending was pretty unprecedented cos they actually took elements from two different girls' endings and mashed them together to make a new one, and a lot of people weren't happy with it, so they did a separate 'parallel universe' style OVA afterwards with an alternate ending for one of the girls. They did that with Clannad too, having the Tomoyo alternate episode, and the Kyou and Ryou one. It's interesting to see how they convert the visual novels into one finite story.

Sustainna
11-21-2014, 11:06 AM
This depends. The harem is definitely good if done RIGHT! If the main character is just a boob-seeking missle then theres a problem. My favorite anime genre is romantic comedy so Ive come across many good ones, as well as many bad.

Clayton_n
11-21-2014, 05:18 PM
My problem is they never FINISH. Pick one. Pick them all. But do it before the show ends darn it!

http://www.mangauk.com/gallery/albums/album-19/lg/drifters_of_the_dead.jpg

http://images4.fanpop.com/image/photos/20600000/Strawberry-Cake-highschool-of-the-dead-20667161-2560-1814.jpg

atonement
11-30-2014, 01:48 PM
I honestly HATE HAREM. It has ruined some anime that I really liked because of the ending. Rosario + Vampire, Nisekoi, Akikan are just some. There are harem which are just stupid and concentrated on comedy and don't care for but there are those with a good story which I liked. How can you tell me after the main male character gets depressed when 1 particular girl gets harmed, goes away or is taken and ignores the rest of the girls that he doesn't care more for her? How can a good anime end with no conclusion after all the action and development? Shuffle and hoshizora e kakaru hashi may not have been very good anime, but are the only harem I know where the guy chooses a girl at the end. How is that a bad thing? I am a sucker for a love ending. You have different expectations for different genders of anime. But for ROMANCE I expect a love confession at least at the and.
In conclusion I tend to avoid any anime that has HAREM in it. I don't want frustration as an ending.

a l i c e
12-12-2014, 04:42 PM
Depends on the anime. Some of them are pretty much no-plot-ecchi-rubbish and then some are actually very good, so I don't really know.

Clayton_n
12-18-2014, 04:05 PM
I honestly HATE HAREM. It has ruined some anime that I really liked because of the ending. Rosario + Vampire, Nisekoi, Akikan are just some. There are harem which are just stupid and concentrated on comedy and don't care for but there are those with a good story which I liked. How can you tell me after the main male character gets depressed when 1 particular girl gets harmed, goes away or is taken and ignores the rest of the girls that he doesn't care more for her? How can a good anime end with no conclusion after all the action and development? Shuffle and hoshizora e kakaru hashi may not have been very good anime, but are the only harem I know where the guy chooses a girl at the end. How is that a bad thing? I am a sucker for a love ending. You have different expectations for different genders of anime. But for ROMANCE I expect a love confession at least at the and.
In conclusion I tend to avoid any anime that has HAREM in it. I don't want frustration as an ending.

Gotta agree. I mean look at Tenchi. So should have picked Ryoko. Instead I had to wait YEARS for the new series and what does he do? Marries everyone! Gah!

-Flashback-
01-01-2015, 04:52 PM
I don't like harems for one reason. I get in the mind set of rooting for one set to have a relationship. If any of the other girls interfered I normally didn't like it ha ha! I'm just not cut out for watching stuffz like that.

Exactly. It depends a lot on the ending. Sometimes the girl that the main character chooses to be his girlfriend (or whatever) in the end makes me wanna punch a snake in the balls.

That's why harems usually have visual novels. So that you can do the ending right :p

Kuroh
01-01-2015, 06:21 PM
I like it I like it not. I want to watch it I don't. Something like that but I have seen few, can't say it was good or bad I have only tasted few there is mile to go. but yeah, ending do really kill the mood.

Clayton_n
01-05-2015, 11:54 AM
I'd be okay with a harem story if at the end the guy manned up and just said he was dating all of them.

Like at the end of Kanokon where the wolf girl admits he's in love with the fox girl, but is going to be his mistress and they okay that.

http://cdn2-b.examiner.com/sites/default/files/styles/image_content_width/hash/81/25/Kanokon.jpg?itok=JqMJZEf1

version15
01-15-2015, 03:28 PM
What always has happened to me is that whichever character I want the main character to end up with...generally isn't the one thats usually set up as the "number 1" so to speak.

Mizore :( :( :(

Bambi _
02-14-2015, 06:30 PM
I only like it if the main character likes one certain guy/girl more than the rest.

Anime Forum
02-14-2015, 07:45 PM
I like them, I guess.

Astral_Mage
02-16-2015, 08:20 AM
I agree with you guys, harem is not much my thing either, probably because of some scenes which I consider cheap, but rather than that, if the anime is of good quality & have a good story then I don't mind, also it shouldn't keep us hanging at the end either :)

Mystelinth
02-17-2015, 01:25 PM
I like them too, most of the harem anime i see, are being watched together with friend of mine. It makes more often than not up for the .. rather bland story telling (not all harem have boring storylines but, imho opinion compared to other anime they quite often do.)
Or should i say predictable story telling? .. Doesn't matter. If i can get a good laugh while watching it with someone else it makes it all good for me.

aniteka
02-24-2015, 07:12 AM
I love Absolute Duo

Kirito
02-24-2015, 10:13 AM
I don't mind it. Looking at it now, a lot of the anime I like has a harem in it. Though they're all Action/Harem so the action makes up for it. Plus they tend to give me a good laugh!

FrankyShogun
02-24-2015, 01:09 PM
I think it come down to the story and characters, if the characters are really well done and the story STARTS and ENDS in a way that doesn't annoy me then I'll like whether it is a Harem or not.

haku10110101
02-24-2015, 01:43 PM
I like it but I have to agree with Clayton. They tend to have no ending. I like harem anime when it has a good story though.

Clayton_n
02-27-2015, 11:54 AM
Harem works better without men

http://images4.fanpop.com/image/photos/23700000/megara-and-de-bimbettes-disney-crossover-23733634-720-576.jpg

Albear
02-27-2015, 10:16 PM
No Clayton, you're wrong.
The most popular harem always had one male, multiple females vying for his attention. What you describe is full on yuri and if you prefer that, it's fine. But saying harem works better without a guy? You don't know what your talking about.

Clayton_n
03-02-2015, 01:00 PM
No Clayton, you're wrong.
The most popular harem always had one male, multiple females vying for his attention. What you describe is full on yuri and if you prefer that, it's fine. But saying harem works better without a guy? You don't know what your talking about.

Which woman wrote that fantasy?

You know King Solomon had 700 wives and 300 mistresses. Do the math and tell me you honestly believe he made love to all of them without any of the others helping out.

Even Kenshi had at least one confirmed lesbian to take up the slack.

https://encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQij7j_oBLq0Qx0Hgct6Bgjm6sMbA16p idxcWpX3aoC_VY0LU-l
http://upic.me/i/zx/0zzzz.jpg
https://data.archive.moe/board/a/image/1337/62/1337627770777.jpg
One in five women is gay. Guess which ones.

https://yurination.files.wordpress.com/2011/05/sp-main-cast.jpg
http://anime.astronerdboy.com/wp-content/uploads/blogger/-vcC4YKCKoXk/SvZn5FpchWI/AAAAAAAAQlU/LTm5lQKO_fc/s1600/05%2BKenshi%2Bwins.jpg
http://upic.me/i/zs/xszzz.png

Too bad Barbie dolls don't work like voodoo dolls...

syde9000
03-04-2015, 06:04 AM
i like to watch them if they are good....

AngelKrystal
03-04-2015, 07:41 PM
They are not my favorite but i also don't dislike them. I read/watch what sounds interesting.

Albear
03-05-2015, 11:41 PM
Clayton_n
You misinterpreted my post. I don't care what happens in a harem.. I'm just saying that a guy's presence in one won't hurt the show.

Jasanime
03-07-2015, 01:54 AM
I usually find harems pretty boring. Unless it's by Key. Key is amazing. I prefer reverse harems ;-)

version15
03-07-2015, 08:48 PM
To be honest, while I would never put a harem at the top of any list of anime quality, they can be entertaining. Like Kirito up there said, I've found a good amount of animes I've seen pretty much have a harem in them, even if they're not the main focus.

Clayton_n
03-09-2015, 02:55 PM
Clayton_n
You misinterpreted my post. I don't care what happens in a harem.. I'm just saying that a guy's presence in one won't hurt the show.

Watch Strawberry Panic and then tell me that.

Clayton_n
03-10-2015, 01:54 PM
I've got to know, what exactly does the ONE guy involved in these situations bring to the harem that could not be done better by a hot woman? Usually he's not even attractive or even interested in having sex with all of them even when they throw themselves at him.

http://www.frikipedia.es/images/9/9d/Harem.jpg
http://i87.photobucket.com/albums/k138/Clayton_n/Harem_zps2vdqiwsc.jpg?t=1425927397

SNEAKYmASquerade
04-13-2015, 06:49 AM
Don't hate me for saying this but I totally hate Harems. They have no particular plot which is why I hate it. That's all. Why waste you time on anime that doesn't exactly give an exact message anyway? -.-

P.S
I'm just stating my opinion here..

Metaphasic
04-13-2015, 11:53 AM
I don't have much thought one way or the other. I don't mind it, but it isn't my forte. I think it is kind of weak as a main plot, but if it is something else, and the main character has a few love interests, then that's fine.

yourseo
07-08-2015, 02:21 AM
xoc dia (http://cali88.net/xoc-dia/), I hate it, but for ROMANCE I expect a love confession

Jean Markale
07-08-2015, 10:47 AM
I've got to know, what exactly does the ONE guy involved in these situations bring to the harem that could not be done better by a hot woman? Usually he's not even attractive or even interested in having sex with all of them even when they throw themselves at him.

SPOILER ALERT RE: TORADORA SEKIREI AND ZERO NO TSUKAIMA SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS
Whiskey tango foxtrot, the guy said one thing to disagree with you--one thing, and it was neither disrespectful nor all that controversial--and you post and post in reply, going so far as to violate forum rules by double-posting in order to do so, even after he clarified his totally non-controversial statement even further, and that was still not good enough for you?
There's nothing wrong with having a one-track mind. Nothing at all. But I see no utility in going on and on just because somepony else might not have the same track, or might even have multiple tracks.
Harem animes are great.
Reverse harem animes are also great. I believe it highly probable that I would think they were even greater if I were a girl.
I have, however, never seen a harem anime in which the guy was plagued with indecisiveness. He knows what he wants, and the girls know what they want, too. There is always a definitive ending to them, so I don't get why people think that's an issue. Just because he doesn't bed them all doesn't mean he doesn't know what he wants.

SPOILER ALERTS FOR TORADORA, SEKIREI, AND ZERO NO TSUKAIMA DO NOT READ PAST THIS LINE
and after that you need a line or so of meaningless text so the big letters don't draw their eyes to the very thing you're trying not to spoil here we go this should do nicely
Sekirei , Zero no Tsukaima, and Toradora [yes, Toradora! Minorin, Ami and Taiga all like Ryuji] [yes, "like" in that way] [all of them] [Taiga just takes longer] are the only ones I can recall having seen at this early hour. Ryuji and Taiga, Saito and Louise, Minato and Musubi--some may complain about how the pairings worked out, but they are the pairs we end up with nonetheless.
Harem animes are tons of fun.

Nesh
07-08-2015, 12:51 PM
As far as harem anime goes I have watch Rosario to Vampire ....the rest was reverse harem. I gotta say I don't mind it, it's good.

Feravel
07-09-2015, 12:54 PM
I like it when the protagonist doesn't make a discussion about with who should he end, I mean... Boy, make a decision already, it isn't too hard.
Same applies for girls, it's okay that she's around pretty boys, but she need only one.
Oooor, he/she can be a king/queen and keep all of them, right?

Clayton_n
07-13-2015, 04:13 PM
That's why we don't like them. They rarely do that.

Macura Frost
07-22-2015, 01:16 PM
I think it is hilarious, due to the hijinks that ensue. However, it bothers me when the main love interest is a B---. Acho-absolute of zero. Sorry I sneezed there.

SaraG25
09-07-2015, 09:43 PM
It's not on the top of my list, but I don't mind it.

RyuTama
09-08-2015, 01:23 AM
Harems are meh. Not really my thing but I'll watch a few episodes if the actual story looks interesting (if there even is one). The only one I really enjoy so far is Monster Musume. (Rachnee and Suu ftw)

I watched Rosario Vampire about a year ago, and my God I couldn't stand it. All the characters were just so obnoxious.

SaraG25
09-12-2015, 12:57 AM
I watched that too and couldn't get into it either. It gave me a headache. I watched another one called Diabolik Lovers not too long ago and watched all the episodes, even though the plot was pretty bleh. I think I watched it because the characters entertained me a bit more. I don't know what it was exactly.

Clayton_n
10-05-2015, 02:59 PM
It might be better if the person with the harem ever actually GOT the whole harem, rather than beaten up by all the others if they even think they've tried with one of them.

duo02
10-14-2015, 05:07 PM
Neutral, they are good for alot of slap stick comedy and shenanigans but the stories are generally lacking. Usually good for a "filler" or background series to watch.

Clayton_n
10-15-2015, 12:34 PM
Harems are meh. Not really my thing but I'll watch a few episodes if the actual story looks interesting (if there even is one). The only one I really enjoy so far is Monster Musume. (Rachnee and Suu ftw)

I watched Rosario Vampire about a year ago, and my God I couldn't stand it. All the characters were just so obnoxious.

Actually I did like the succubus's mom.

Kriking
10-16-2015, 09:04 AM
As long as there are anime tiddies in the show, I like it.

Yasui Tadashi
10-29-2015, 09:41 PM
honestly i like harem because i love romance anime, if there is even a hint of some sort of romance then i will most likely watch it, but honestly i wouldn't watch it because of how perverted it is, because in anime that isn't really important to me

Clayton_n
11-14-2015, 04:00 PM
That's just it though, Harem gets in the way of romance. Right when our guy (or girl) is about to get somewhere with one of them, BAM!, the other one comes in and shuts it down!

https://animeamour.files.wordpress.com/2015/01/isekai-no-seikishi-monogatari.jpg

http://i.kinja-img.com/gawker-media/image/upload/akzk0qqr3kicubrzfxx2.jpg
http://img11.deviantart.net/b87b/i/2013/031/9/b/_vid_link__mmd_cockblock_by_eripmav_darkness-d5tdxkh.png
https://thenullset.files.wordpress.com/2012/06/rice15574.jpg

Anime Forum
11-17-2015, 07:23 PM
Disliking harem has generally become some anime fanbase cliche. If you're watching harem for romance then obviously you're going to end up in dissapointment because very rarely does it occur and end with in a true love and one woman rules route.

I watch it because its anime is all.

Kumagawa
11-18-2015, 08:40 PM
To me, harem anime really is the bottom of the barrel when it comes to story telling. It's see through and obvious that every single person involved in creating it is just out to gabble up as many shekels as they can from lonely otaku which just makes me feel disgusting as I'm watching.
On top of that I think they're totally boring too since any and all development between characters comes to a steady halt in order for another character to take over.

Unless it has the balls to actually go through with the best (and also morally most wrong) ending like Yosuga no Sora, I usually don't bother with harem anime.

Yukako
11-19-2015, 03:00 PM
I usually enjoy harem anime every once in a while, as long as it dont follow the bland formula of harem animes, and its easy on my mind since the story is usually easy to follow, plus free fanservice.

brownie5620
11-25-2015, 08:27 PM
It depends to be honest :/ i usually dont like the harems where all they have is fanservice and not a decent plot. I like harems where they have realistic relationship between the other people.

Anime Forum
11-25-2015, 09:30 PM
It might be better if the person with the harem ever actually GOT the whole harem, rather than beaten up by all the others if they even think they've tried with one of them.

How would that be better? I think most of you guys and other anime fans have a major misconception with harem anime and its better for you guys to realize if you're looking for good romance then watch one w/o a harem tag.

Peppermint Hearts
12-30-2015, 01:35 PM
Oh I just love harem anime like Tenchi Muyo!, Ramna 1/2, Oniai, To Love Ru and Haginai. Usually there are a lot of wacky, funny, entertaining female characters in the harem that are fun to watch. The lead male character isn't always a loser either, Tenchi is very heroic in Tenchi Muyo, (also Infinate Stratos has heroic characters) Most of these series are adult orientated and not some kiddie cartoon like you would see on CN or Nick, etc. (PS Tenchi and AYEKA:broken:!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I like her better anyway, or even Sasami when she grows up)

Holocast
12-30-2015, 01:59 PM
I like harem anime just fine, but like this guy said --->

My problem is they never FINISH. Pick one. Pick them all. But do it before the show ends darn it!

They never actually finish them properly. It's the most frustrating thing to me when anime, in general, are never finished and they're just kind of left for the dogs.

Clayton_n
01-04-2016, 01:32 PM
Oh I just love harem anime like Tenchi Muyo!, Ramna 1/2, Oniai, To Love Ru and Haginai. Usually there are a lot of wacky, funny, entertaining female characters in the harem that are fun to watch. The lead male character isn't always a loser either, Tenchi is very heroic in Tenchi Muyo, (also Infinate Stratos has heroic characters) Most of these series are adult orientated and not some kiddie cartoon like you would see on CN or Nick, etc. (PS Tenchi and AYEKA:broken:!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I like her better anyway, or even Sasami when she grows up)

Ranma actually got his girl.

Umaru4life
01-05-2016, 10:53 PM
I like harems but the guy NEEDS to end up with someone at the end. Negima is a harem but no one really knows from the ending who he ended up with. So that was disappointing. And Nisekoi is taking too long for an update lol, but I still love it.

Na11
01-25-2016, 03:55 PM
Never watched harem

Holocast
01-25-2016, 04:09 PM
Never watched harem

Well. You should definitely give it a try, my friend.

Reina
01-25-2016, 05:10 PM
For me, harem = abomination. I really cannot stand it. I have tried a few and all of them were a waste of time.

Zeed
01-26-2016, 07:14 PM
It depends really

Holocast
01-26-2016, 09:17 PM
It depends really

Depends on what?

_CTA_
01-27-2016, 08:20 AM
I live for (reverse) harem. Especially when they're from otoge, but I'm very selective as well. For example, the anime for Amnesia was so bad compared to the game. Also Starry Sky.

RyuTama
01-27-2016, 09:30 AM
I live for (reverse) harem. Especially when they're from otoge, but I'm very selective as well. For example, the anime for Amnesia was so bad compared to the game. Also Starry Sky.

I think you are the only person I have ever seen mention Starry Sky on this forum. I never really watched the anime, but I played all the VNs several years ago. Most of the characters were pretty adorable (aside from Iku, gtho), but Kazuki is da besto~.

ScaledBlue
01-28-2016, 09:05 PM
When I was little just getting into anime I had watched a pretty decent amount of shows and I didn't really look at the description of them. (Plus I was on youtube at the time so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯) But I had watched a few harems and didn't know that they were... they all left me squeaky. I kept asking question like: "Why does she want to get in his pants so much?" "What does he have down there that she wants so badly?" "Why is he staring at her body for that long?" "Why does he want to touch booty so badly?" I was 11 at the time.

~In short... no, It messed with my mind too much into a suggestive subject I didn't understand and didn't want to. But I'm 17 and unfortunately had to anyhow lol.

_CTA_
02-03-2016, 06:57 AM
I think you are the only person I have ever seen mention Starry Sky on this forum. I never really watched the anime, but I played all the VNs several years ago. Most of the characters were pretty adorable (aside from Iku, gtho), but Kazuki is da besto~.

Do not watch the anime. It's so bad, it was upsetting.

scotty.mogal
02-08-2016, 07:40 PM
where to begin. I LOVE ANIME GIRLS! What's not to love about being the only alpha male in a group. sometime I fantasize about it when I'm in high school.

Ota "The Cutest Otaku"
02-14-2016, 04:32 PM
With harems it's a hit-or-miss with me. There are however a few elements that I hate about them and a few I like. The things that make me drop most harem animes are the annoyingly boring, cliche guy who's only redeeming quality is he's NICE. The girls fall for him for little to know reason and then this lucky bastard proceeds to act clueless the entire time. The petty rivalries and at times sickening amounts of fanservice which make me think it's more of a hentai piss me off to no end. But, however when a interesting character is introduced it makes me stick around a little longer and makes me want the best for them. And I adore the fanservice..to an extent. So really it's all in how it presents itself and the plot that makes me stick around. :3

Clayton_n
09-21-2016, 02:19 PM
At least with Oh My Goddess while he had women from three worlds throwing themselves at him he stuck with and eventually married Belldandy.

Yan Chan
09-22-2016, 06:20 AM
In short, no. It's more on the lines of infuriating because half the time the guy won't choose. Funny to admit, but my first ever anime was Zero no Tsukaima (Familiar of Zero). The dumb bitter rivalries the girls had was just... It's just not my thing. And yes I'm talking specifically about Siesta and Louise. I personally feel that in harem anime, in general, tend to make the guys clueless idiots who can't control themselves from the sheer amounts of fanservice. Again that's just me.

Then I guess there's reverse harem. I watched Amnesia back in... What 2014? I liked the character designs and the visuals, but I kind of didn't like how the main character was a girl who barely said one word. I get it, the Heroine has amnesia but it was really annoying just to hear half her dialogue be gasps and whatnot. And it's not like she ever chooses anyway. I feel like with reverse harem anime it's either the girl is too clueless to choose, or she's just not interested at all.

I think the ways she died were just stupid too. A boat tips over and she's seen sinking to the bottom? And she's fully conscious, why doesn't she swim up?

But that's enough of my ranting. I apologize for losing focus on the topic at hand. Perhaps it's just me watching mediocre harem anime. I just never really liked the genre. Just not my cup of tea.

Jean Markale
10-08-2016, 08:17 AM
786 Oh man, I loved Zero no Tsukaima! Yea, Saito can be an idiot, but at the end of the day we know who ends up with whom. Even Siesta gets on his case at one point for being insensitive to Louise.

Vintniv
10-08-2016, 09:25 AM
Honestly, they're just annoying if anything. They really have to grasp that most harem animes are developed based upon an original game. The part that simply cannot be transitioned over is what you, the player, would actually do in the context of the game itself. So either A) they leave it on a cliff hanger with nothing resolved. Or B) the girl you would have chosen doesnt get picked or drops off the radar completely (I would have gone with Nerine from Shuffle!)

Alternatively, you get harem based animes that have a really interesting premise, but become bogged down. Take for instance the Fate Series. Here you have a very interesting setup: Heroes from the past (King Arthur, Alexander the Great, Gilgamesh, etc) are going to fight to the death for one wish from the Holy Grail. There's a whole bunch of rules and mechanics like mage craft, Reality Marbles, command spells that play a role in the story, and doesnt that sound awesome? But, is that what FSN is about? No, not really. The majority of the anime(s) are so dialogue heavy (because of the harem source material) that its almost not worth watching. And the scenes that display either the character development or the battles themselves are just a chore to wait to finally see.