PDA

View Full Version : Do you prefer Dubs or Subs?

Яequiem
05-29-2014, 02:22 PM
Which do you prefer watching anime in, Subtitles or Dubbed? Personally I absolutely refuse to watch an anime in English. I feel that it takes a lot away from the show when you watch it in English. Most of the time, things don't translate well or it feels like the voice actor just isn't as into it as when you listen to it in Japanese.

Yung A$$eroya
05-29-2014, 02:38 PM
I prefer watching dubbed, although most of the subbed ones are way better, because:

1. A lot of the action gets lost when you have to read so much text

2. Most of the subs are awful, and certain things get lost in translation, whereas in the dubs, they rewrite the lines, so that they actually make sense

Anime Forum
05-29-2014, 03:08 PM
Subs.

Dubs are stupid yo.

Kaitou+
05-29-2014, 03:48 PM
Subs, I'll quote a friend of mine:

Here is my view. Stories are created, written, and acted based on the partnership of the director, writers, and actors. To rewrite and recast the story without the original cast and crew, well ... the best you can ever hope to accomplish is faithful homage. Which is still a step down.

Whenever i watch a Hollywood, Hong Kong, or Japanese production. It's with the respect for the original creators vision, and thus in subbed form.

KyouFalls
05-29-2014, 04:22 PM
Sub.

All animes I've heard in dub are awful, Except FMA... They're an exception.

blueangel06661
05-29-2014, 04:34 PM
I watch them in subs.
Not because subs are better than dubs. I'm just deaf.

Also: Americans squeal too much in anime or get the names wrong..
Why the heck is Ahiru's name translated into Duck for English dub... That's just messed up.

Jasanime
05-29-2014, 05:10 PM
Shouldn't even be a question. Of course anime is better in Japanese! We sell anime where I work, and I sometimes get people returning it because they didn't release it wasn't dubbed!! You can imagine the rage :angry1::angry1::banghead::banghead:

Anime Forum
05-29-2014, 06:10 PM
Have you guys heard the Watamote dub trailer? Oh man, horrible. Though, dub fans surely will be glad I guess.. o_O ..

ParaParaJMo
05-29-2014, 06:16 PM
Can watching raws be an option for Japanese speakers?

Ceris
05-29-2014, 11:33 PM
For a majority of anime I watch, I watch it subbed. But for very select few series, I watch dubbed (e.g. Death Note because Japanese pronunciation of "Light" annoyed me.) but the number of anime I watch in English is very small.

Anime Forum
05-30-2014, 07:59 PM
For a majority of anime I watch, I watch it subbed. But for very select few series, I watch dubbed (e.g. Death Note because Japanese pronunciation of "Light" annoyed me.) but the number of anime I watch in English is very small.

Yeah, I watched Death Note in dub also. It was IMO a pretty well made dub (same as Cowboy Bebop and Lucky Star). Not ALL dubs are bad, but there are plenty of really bad ones.

AnimeBboy
05-30-2014, 10:42 PM
I watch both subs and dubs. Some anime are better in my opinion as dubs (Trigun, Samurai Champloo, Cowboy Bebop, and Gurren Lagan) while subs fit better for other anime. As long as the story is good, I could care less what language is being spoken.

Albear
05-30-2014, 10:46 PM
Doesn't matter to me.
I have watched anime dubbed, subbed, and raw.

Яequiem
05-30-2014, 11:36 PM
The only anime's I watch Dubbed are Cowboy Bebop, Dragonball Z and Pokemon back when it first came out, and now I'd only watch it dubbed because it was what I grew up on and actually hearing it in Japanese sounds weird. Bebop not so much, I watched it in Japanese and actually did like it better. Dragonball Z though, the voices sound really weird in Japanese to me, and I strongly dislike Goku's. It was fine in Dragonball but a grown ass man shouldn't have a voice like that.

Death Cab for Cutie
05-31-2014, 12:21 AM
Subs. I read fast so it's not a bother to me, and when anime is dubbed in English a lot of the original stuff gets taken away. I'd personally rather watch the original version than what is essentially a remake of the same thing.

Ai-no-Miko
06-02-2014, 10:16 PM
Dubs, and my main argument is this:
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/dub-track/2003-04-29

Also I multitask like crazy when I watch TV, so to transfer attention to watch subtitles on a TV is a little difficult and I miss way too much story line.

KageNoNeko
06-02-2014, 11:43 PM
I like both because sometimes I want to pay attention to the art or multitask. However, if I watch a dub and it is terrible, I will do subtitles.

ParaParaJMo
06-03-2014, 06:51 PM
In my case, most anime I watch these days or back in the day wouldn't have a US release for years and none at all. But I live in Japan now so raw is what I am stuck with.

Splitzle
06-03-2014, 07:03 PM
I used to like dubbed anime, but now it doesn't matter to me. I either start at dubbed or subbed, and stay like that. I just don't like switching mid way (i've tried that before) because I'm already used to that voice.