View Full Version : When does Gintama get good?

04-30-2014, 03:03 PM
Watching Gintama and so far it hasn't captured my attention. Its a bit different because its episodic, but it has received great reviews. Im on episode 34, so how long should I keep this up? When do i say that it isn't for me?

I've watched a lot of anime's, and I've liked almost all of them. Animes take a while to get into, but for some reason gintama seems different. For some reason I think I would prefer less comedy and more plot.

1. Bleach - captured my interest around episode 20 (soul society arc)

2. Naruto - captured my interest during chunnin exam arc

3. Fairy tail - was more gradual, liked it from start

4. One piece - took till the Alablasta Arc but one of my favorites.

Should I keep going with Gintama or should I try something else? Any other recommendations?

04-30-2014, 03:38 PM
Well, i've watched all of those you named. So i guess the least i can do is give my opinion on this matter.

If you've seen 34 episodes of gintama and don't really like it yet, i'm quite sure you won't like the rest either. As you probably know it has a pretty specific kind of humor. So you either like or dislike it. There are moments in Gintama where they throw in some plot, so maybe you'll like those episodes. But if you don't like the gag like 1 story episodes then i can say you probably won't like the rest very much either.

The characters do "connect" better as the anime progresses. So it feels like they're getting closer together than they initially were. Although most characters still have the same interaction with each other as before. Except for a select few.

In the end, all i can say is that the story progresses very slowly, and the story is maybe 10% of the anime. While the "intense weird humor situation episodes" are on the other 90%

If this doesn't clarify my opinion, please send me a message or something. I've seen everything of Gintama so i'd love to talk about it.

Anime Forum
05-02-2014, 08:15 PM
My friend said in the 50s range. Or at least around that!