PDA

View Full Version : Music I can listen to when writing my next story.

Alice Lost
04-21-2014, 12:36 PM
It was once said...

"Music is the soundtrack to our lives."

Right now, I.m looking for some grim music or sounds to listen to during my next story. So far, all I have is Evanescence and the last musical of instrumental music from Eminem's Bad Guy.

The story is about a 16 year old girl who is experimented on by a corporate company who escaped and is now fighting for a revolution to save a corrupt city. It's a superheroine type story but I don't want any upbeat moments. It's pretty sad, really.

Can anyone help?

Yung A$$eroya
05-03-2014, 07:36 AM
Try using Halo 3: ODST's OST, I guess?

freyalewis
07-25-2014, 04:49 AM
You can listen, slow romantic track while writing the story, Slow music gives peace of mind and then you will write a best of your conception.

Rocketpop
07-27-2014, 10:49 PM
I mostly write poetry, and music is often an inspiration...often either tinged with a sad or spiteful tone. Nine Inch Nails' gentle versions of some of its harder songs, on the LP Still, make for a great, gentle, but melancholy backdrop.

Since you're writing about a revolution, something like an epic, sweeping piece may help. There are some especially great instrumentalist groups that are exceptional with long, sweeping soundscapes, like Explosions In The Sky, Sigur Ros (well, I like their earlier stuff a lot more than their newer stuff), Orbital (especially the albums In Sides and Snivilisation), and classic, old-school punk rock like Sonic Youth. Those would be my top "inspiring" music.

Cross Avantgarde
08-06-2014, 06:51 PM
If you’re still writing your story (as this post comes almost 4 months after your request), I might be able to lend a hand with some music. I’ve chosen 3 pieces that have no lyrics so that you might be able to work better. I know it always helps me write when there are little to no words to catch my attention, so here’s hoping.
You wanted something a bit “grim,” so this could be a little off but I’m trying to get close to the target.
Beethoven’s “Moonlight Sonata” (most YouTube uploads of it are splendid).
“Promontory” (Last of the Mohicans Soundtrack). If you like this, know that there’s also one with solely a violin with later orchestra instruments called “The Kiss” on the same soundtrack.
Hope those 3 suggestions are of some use.