PDA

View Full Version : "Auto Correctors"

Zainox
04-02-2014, 01:25 AM
I think we have all experienced that one person who just has to correct something you say, whether it be online or off. What is your take on them? Are they annoying? Are you one of them? Do you agree with what they do?

Personally it pisses me off, though I can't say too much because I do troll with it sometimes online.

Recently I was on this Pokemon group on Facebook trying to make a trade for a Pokemon I needed. I just typed out what I was saying without thinking and of course someone picked up on the errors. Well, it got so bad that they lost focus of what my original intent was and it became some fiasco to constantly correct my grammer. In the end the trade never happened because the chat was spammed by tools, so I just left.

Anything like this happen to you?

Anime Forum
04-02-2014, 01:29 AM
Yeah, it happened to me recently to me on here actually. While spelling something wrong does make your argument look less convincing, it also makes the person doing the correcting in an argument appear very desperate.

Zainox
04-02-2014, 01:32 AM
Yeah, it happened to me recently to me on here actually. While spelling something wrong does make your argument look less convincing, it also makes the person doing the correcting in an argument appear very desperate.

Very true, it seems like the final resort come back for a lot of people online these days.

GameGeeks
04-02-2014, 01:54 AM
I do it to mess with people from time to time. But otherwise I could care less. People that actually nitpick need to find a hobby as it's just sad.

Anime Forum
04-02-2014, 02:28 AM
I do it to mess with people from time to time. But otherwise I could care less. People that actually nitpick need to find a hobby as it's just sad.

Yeah. I can understand why they correct sometimes because I've seen some really bad spelling, but over doing it gets really annoying. I tend to make some mistakes on my 360, but never on my computer.

Riverflower
04-02-2014, 02:41 AM
I once had a friend who corrected me at almost every turn, and it got me sooooo mad everytime. He still kept doing it, though, but after a good long while I realized that I actually learned alot from it, and so at the end I began asking him for advise. He actually taught me alot about grammar, spelling, and such. Now I do realize this, and that you're experiencing are two different things, in a way, but I would just tell you to ignore them. Like Yoko pointed out it makes the person seem desperate

Zainox
04-02-2014, 03:03 AM
I once had a friend who corrected me at almost every turn, and it got me sooooo mad everytime. He still kept doing it, though, but after a good long while I realized that I actually learned alot from it, and so at the end I began asking him for advise. He actually taught me alot about grammar, spelling, and such. Now I do realize this, and that you're experiencing are two different things, in a way, but I would just tell you to ignore them. Like Yoko pointed out it makes the person seem desperate

I have a mate who does the same thing. I can agree that I have learnt a fair bit due to it, but it still annoys the hell out of me..

Same with online, where it still annoys me. I'm able to just ignore it and move on. Like I did with my Pokemon problem I typed above. When I realized I wasn't going to get anywhere, I left. I don't understand why people let internet troubles get too them so much when it is so easy too just leave.

Riverflower
04-02-2014, 04:55 AM
I have a mate who does the same thing. I can agree that I have learnt a fair bit due to it, but it still annoys the hell out of me..

Same with online, where it still annoys me. I'm able to just ignore it and move on. Like I did with my Pokemon problem I typed above. When I realized I wasn't going to get anywhere, I left. I don't understand why people let internet troubles get too them so much when it is so easy too just leave.

Yeah, I don't understand that either. Still it is too bad that you had to leave, if only they would get serious, but I guess some people are just beyond reach :b

Qoco
04-02-2014, 06:42 AM
I do it to myself a lot. I feel like making typos makes my argument less valid and makes me look stupid. People take me less seriously if I mess up somewhere and they notice it. So I correct myself.

blueangel06661
04-02-2014, 07:59 AM
u well nvr win an arquemant typen lyke dis yo. I am da elit of all and iz supar intelegente.

Quite frankly I run into quite a few people who talk like that yet try to prove they are smart enough to hold a mature conversation

They're not

Yung A$$eroya
04-02-2014, 08:31 AM
I am that guy ;3

Sympathy
04-02-2014, 03:05 PM
it usually only happens to me when i'm in an argument with someone and the other party is losing badly. so they'll start harping on my typos as though it proves their point completely. like others have said, it's a matter of desperation.

SGI
04-02-2014, 03:05 PM
http://www.quickmeme.com/img/20/208403b45f512a856ea37c8d6e717b56e3073c5da919d10817 1686c262c78bb7.jpg

Nope, never seen this behavior before. Not in TV nor real life.

Space Cowboy 2112
04-02-2014, 09:29 PM
http://www.bajiroo.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/ugly-weird-strange-funny-people-girls-men-world-pictures-black-images-pics-humor-photos-9.jpg

Zainox
04-03-2014, 12:06 AM
http://www.bajiroo.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/ugly-weird-strange-funny-people-girls-men-world-pictures-black-images-pics-humor-photos-9.jpg

Oh boy! I love nightmares! :D

RyuTama
04-03-2014, 03:25 PM
I love it most when, you're in an argument and someone has to start resorting to correcting your grammar because they're failing so badly.

And then it turns out their "corrections" are incorrect anyway lolol.

Anyhow, I can be a bit of a Grammar Nazi, but I do it lightheartedly, and with friends. Besides, they usually come to me when they need to spell something correctly on a resume or something similar, so I don't think it's very out of line for me to correct them now and then. :p

People who think they're the grammar police of the internet can be annoying though.

.:neuko:.
04-04-2014, 12:02 PM
If a person "auto-corrects" another, then they must have already figured what the other person was trying to say beforehand--in which case, there was no need for the auto-correcting lecture in the first place. I see spelling and grammatical errors all time (my own included); but I can usually work out from the surrounding context what a person is saying, and that's really what matters. Interestingly, I've found that most people who religiously go round auto-correcting others over the internet do not genuinely contribute to any debate and seem to know a lot about nothing. It's almost as if they spend much of their internet life auto-correcting other people to deflect communities from what might be otherwise valid arguments. Sure, some auto-correctors are smart-Alecs as well, except most of them are also smart enough to realise that auto-correcting presumed statements is a waste of life.

HOWEVER...

It goes both ways. Just because a person may make spelling and/or grammatical errors in their statements, that does not mean I should always be expected to know what they actually mean, and by implication, feel forced to make assumptions in place of erroneous words. In such instances I might ask the author for clarification, but am perfectly entitled to simply ignore them--because I don't see why I should do all the legwork to decipher that for which the author had adequate correction resources. You wouldn't buy a book that contained numerous spelling and grammatical errors, so why put up with lazily-constructed posts? Moreover, it really comes to something when spelling errors are still made in the light of convenient spell checkers actually built into web browsers. I mean seriously, is it really that hard to simply right-click over a red-lined word and then replace it with the correctly-spelt equivalent? It's called having some consideration for other readers.

Still, I never resort to auto-correcting a poster; because as I said before, to auto-correct someone is to know more or less what they were talking about in the first place; and if you do that, you probably just do it out of pleasure of discrediting people rather than willingness to face a proper debate. And by the way, if your defense for auto-correcting people is something like "I do this for the good of the community", that's pathetic. You have no authority to speak for a group of individuals who can perfectly decide for themselves whether or not certain statements that personally annoy you make sense to them. After all, you are not, as Trouillefou adequately put it: the "grammar police".

CrimsonMoon
04-08-2014, 07:11 AM
I am actually a grammar Nazi offline, but only towards my sisters. Online, well, I could care less, as long as I understand what they're saying, then it's fine with me, unless they want grammar checking or we're practising English. Anyway, I'm not a native English speaker, so I admit I do make mistakes here and there. That's why I tend to be reserved about correcting others when I know I make mistakes too.

DOOM!
04-08-2014, 11:56 AM
But otherwise I could care less.

It's couldn't care less, DAMMIT! And yeah, I hate it when they do that OTI, but IRL, I usually thank them for straightening my speech.

GameGeeks
04-08-2014, 01:51 PM
It's couldn't care less, DAMMIT! And yeah, I hate it when they do that OTI, but IRL, I usually thank them for straightening my speech.
Surprised that it took someone this long to notice that.

Kaleohano
04-09-2014, 05:22 AM
My phone likes to say i do a lot of ducking. I guess I'm alright with that.

DOOM!
04-10-2014, 12:37 PM
Surprised that it took someone this long to notice that.

I just came in as I rarely, usually do, and I was all like: Yo, dat infedel just committed grammar Zina, take him down!

Sympathy
04-10-2014, 02:19 PM
i don leik wen ppl kerrekt mai grammerz cuz i tak like i tak aint nuffin rong wit it

darksky967
04-10-2014, 07:16 PM
those people are just smart asses who want to appear to be elitist when in actual fact, it's just lame and pointless (unless you are writing a resume or something)