PDA

View Full Version : Pupa: Series Review by Yoko Littner

Hanamaru Kunikida
03-29-2014, 09:41 PM
Synopsis: The "life-and-death sibling" story follows Utsutsu and Yume Hasegawa, a boy and his little sister who find themselves all alone. One day, Yume sees a mysterious red butterfly and her body undergoes a strange metamorphosis—into a creature that eats humans. Utsutsu struggles to find a way to restore his sister.

Source: http://myanimelist.net/anime/19315/Pupa

Pupa, many call it a failure due to each episode being cut down to four minutes and some say it was doomed from the start. My opinion? Read on to find out!

I'd by lying if I didn't say I wasn't excited for the anime debut of Pupa. This was easily one of the big five considered by me for Winter 2014, but that early prediction was quickly turned away when I found out each episode was cut to a four episode length. The reason behind this? Not even I'm sure, but what were the animators hoping to accomplish by possibly ruining a possible good series? Okay, true. Some short anime are actually pretty good. See Aiura and Miss Monochrome, I enjoyed both of them and gave both of them a 10, a mighty rating. Pupa though, just didn't work out as well as those though. Each episode felt like a mess and just got worse as the series went on. Literally, one episode was ONLY about Yume (the sister) eating her brother Utsutsu. Yes, a laughable and ugly episode it was and IMO is considered the worst episode of anime by far not counting failures like Mars of Destruction.

This anime COULD of worked, and that is a huge COULD. Don't limit yourself to four minutes and take your show seriously. If you do those simple things you wouldn't have lower than a 5.00 on myanimelist, which is a terrible score.

Characters: 4/10: The characters were actually pretty alright, but my personal favorite was Utsutsu. I really felt bad for him throughout the series due to how much pain he took from his sister and from others. Did you know there was an episode where people took the time to dissect him? Poor guy. Yume was pretty alright, but nothing special to be honest.

Music: 3/10: The opening was alright, but nothing more to be really said.

Enjoyment: 5/10: 5/10? Yes, I actually enjoyed Pupa a bit, but that doesn't take away from the show being a complete mess. I wonder what this anime could of been with more effort and more minutes per episode? Will we ever find out?

Well, not much else to say. Each episode is only four minutes really. Hope you enjoyed. Maybe you can try Pupa out for yourself?