PDA

View Full Version : Super Sonico: Series Review

Hanamaru Kunikida
03-26-2014, 09:16 AM
Synopsis: A Series featuring Super Sonico, the mascot girl of NitroPlus.
Source: http://myanimelist.net/anime/20555/Super_Sonico_The_Animation

Summary: What do you get when you take K-On and fully remove any plot and replace the cute girls with obvious fan service shots that remove any possible seriousness from the anime? Failure. Yes. Failure.

Winter 2014 has been a really solid season for anime and as anime viewers we got to experience the the debut of several new anime series that either wowed us or left us wondering what could of been. If I had to go through the list of the 17+ anime shows I decided to watch this season and find the bottom five that really left me wondering what went wrong then the boobalicious anime Super Sonico would surely be on that list. What started out as a possible average K-On clone really crashed and burned a few episodes in and really only got worse as the series dragged on. Some people say it was the fanservice that destroyed this anime and some people say it was having no plot, but I tend to disagree with those assumptions or rather feel like there is way more to the story than that. Super Sonico suffered from trying to be K-On, but just with boob jiggling and the idea of her being a model added into it. There are a lot of people who feel that moe anime are the cancer to anime and are dragging the industry down, but I very much disagree with that. Moe is not destroying anime, rather the fanbase who think that are, K-On did a very good job at what it was and clearly delivered on almost everything aspect of being a cute anime with little plot, but Super Sonico just wasn't as lucky.

An anime doesn't need a plot to be good. People often think that if an anime doesn't have a plot then it is garbage and not worth the watch, well that is clearly wrong. It is all about the execution and how well the viewer can relate/bond to the characters in the anime which Super Sonico clearly just doesn't have that formula down right. Anime like K-On, Lucky Star, Non Non Biyori are all moe type anime and deliver with likable characters and a soothing plot that calms the the viewer with a strange sensation of peace, but some anime like I stated earlier do it better than others. Super Sonico is sadly, that others.

Characters: 2/10. You can tell whoever decided to animate this were not just looking for fanservice shots, but were also extremely lazy in what they were doing. Never before have I seen a girl in any anime NEVER remove equipment EVER. Sonico would wear her trademark headphones while in school, sleeping, modeling, singing and so on. I know there are some who defend this idea saying it is her trademark and removing them would be going against her character (lolwut?), but I don't buy it for a second. The animators were just lazy, end of story. I know this is anime and I am down with fantasy and everything, but her NEVER removing the headphones was completely stupid and made no sense to me. Sonico may be pretty cute in a sense, but damn remove those headphones at least once! Fuuri though, is even worse. In my opinion she is a total waste of a character and her boob size is actually the only time in this show where I felt the size of her chest was just not natural. She would look much better with a smaller chest and also her eating habits is pretty much all she offers to the show in terms of what she is. Obvious fan service character is completely obvious and she is just not likable. I would actually go on a limb and say she may just be the WORST character of the entire anime because she was just placed there to be Sonico's friend and have literally no personality. Suzu is really the only character I liked on this anime, but that isn't saying much. She is pro skimpy clothing of course and seems like the smartest of the girls. At least though, she looks more natural and doesn't have size DDDD breasts. Other than that, there are really no notable characters to really discuss. Ouka was alright, but never got a moment to actually shine and all the old guy were perverts, how annoying.

Music: 1/10. Completely horrible. Did you know this anime was marketed as a music anime? If it is supposed to be one then why does nearly everyone song either put me to sleep or just suck? Couldn't they pick better songs? Is this all Nitroplus can offer? I'm not Nitroplus expert so I can't really comment, but just bad all around.

Enjoyment: 3/10. I just didn't enjoy this minus like three episodes. The zombie episode and murder episode were probably the only decent ones of the anime because nearly every episode felt like it was written by a different writer in terms of quality and execution. I'd love to see the writers for this actually, was it actually written by homo-sapians like ourselves? Either way, just not very enjoyable. I wish the music was better and I wish they stopped giving us obvious fanservice every fifteen seconds. I'm not against ecchi completely, but this just didn't need the ecchi added in.

Overall: Skip it unless you just want to add an extra anime to your completion list. It isn't the worst anime this season, but it was one of them.