PDA

View Full Version : Strange...the Offtopic/Miscellaenous Subforums of Forums is Usually the Most Popular

AmandaNerdBot
09-21-2013, 11:59 AM
Almost every forum I've posted on, I noticed this interesting pattern. The Offtopic/Miscellaenous forums are the most popular by far.

The offtopic sub-forum has by far the most posts. Way more posts than any of the other sub forums. I think this is because people like to discuss offtopic things which deviate from the main topic of the forum. This site's offtopic forum has 600,000 posts (it compromises of 1/4 of all of this forum's posts).

Anyone has explanations for this interesting phenomenon?

GameGeeks
09-21-2013, 12:10 PM
Because people like to talk about things other then the main theme of the forum. Especially one like this where it covers a wide range of sub genres and not not everyone enjoys the same shows. People also seem to only post on a small number of forums with one in particular being the main one they post on. So the inevitability is that misc/general sections tend to end up being popular. People like to talk about day to day happenings or random things that interest them that don't fall into a particular category.

ZombieWolf2508
09-21-2013, 12:15 PM
Offtopic has no limit, where say a forum category called "Moose Noises" has a limitation to only a specific subject and targets only a small group of people. Off topic includes anything the the forum doesn't civer in it's categories.

AmandaNerdBot
09-21-2013, 12:17 PM
Because people like to talk about things other then the main theme of the forum. Especially one like this where it covers a wide range of sub genres and not not everyone enjoys the same shows. People also seem to only post on a small number of forums with one in particular being the main one they post on. So the inevitability is that misc/general sections tend to end up being popular. People like to talk about day to day happenings or random things that interest them that don't fall into a particular category.
I also tend to post on other forums (other than this). Unfortunately I forgot the log in credentials for those forums and for some strange reason, those forums have stopped people from registering (probably because they were receiving way too many troll accounts so the admins had to inevitably stop registrations. I say that is very sad and disappointing). I wish I could go back to those forums, but unfortunately I cannot. I feel lots of pain and sorrow right now because my inability to post on those forums... I cannot post on it anymore since I changed my email address...which for some strange reason renders me unable to post on it. LOL WHAT!

Albear
09-21-2013, 06:26 PM
Miscellaneous is basically everything else, including certain anime topics.
This section was also the first to be popular.

marvelangga
09-21-2013, 07:19 PM
Miscellaneous Miscellany:

Movie Dave
09-21-2013, 07:59 PM
It's usually the more socializing part of each forum. Which covers a variety amount of random topics. Of course its the most popular. For example, I don't watch anime any more, so it's not like I can go into any part of a forum and talk to people about it. Thus, most of my recent posts are here or Other Animations.

Glies
09-21-2013, 08:57 PM
Sometimes we get bored of talking about anime all the time, or we have more things to talk about in real life than in an anime.

Like say something about Australia, or what about how when we notice that our nose is always within the eye's view, or something like your favorite color, or how about when the Universe has a black hole nearby...

Science, socialites, Topics, or whatever... it all happens more often than the production of anime, or manga, these both draw from only one thing here on this earth, Media. Not to mention it all only comes from one Country Japan, anime and manga strictly originate from there.

While everything else is... Everywhere. I confused myself...

ChibiLovett
09-22-2013, 01:45 AM
I generally don't actually go to any part of the forum specifically. I just look at new posts since my last visit and answer any that I feel like posting in, though this one does definitely get the majority of my posts it seems.

I'd say it's probably because, while I still love anime, don't get me wrong, I have never been one to keep up on what's popular with anything. So I generally end up watching ones most people don't seem to care much about, or at least not anymore. I also don't like the really long ones that drag on forever, which eliminates at least half of anime discussion anywhere. I also don't watch near as much as I used to, and I try to avoid watching it online.

So the misc section is the one I can contribute to the most. Obviously I can't speak for everyone, but that's my reasoning why at least.

Sympathy
09-22-2013, 06:51 AM
people need a place to ejaculate their stupidity

Anime Forum
09-23-2013, 01:12 AM
Obviously. I wih the anime sections were more popular, but this forum section being the most popular is a no brainer.

Plus, it has had numerous famous threads over the years. Ones that the newer AF members would of loved to see.

.:neuko:.
10-01-2013, 09:49 PM
It's not that strange if you think about it. By nature, Misc forums tend to be more accessible, more inclusive, and more flexible in that they do not ask too much of members who'd post in them. Other forums on the other hand tend to be the opposite; for example, a forum dedicated to a specific anime series may (effectively) require that its members have prior access to and/or sufficient knowledge of that series in order to ensure compelling threads or good posts.

In my case, though I like anime, I have precious little time to watch it, much less comment on particular anime series for the respective AF anime forums--especially since my key interest lies in digital art, which already takes up a lot of my time. If ever I do get round to posting in said forums, I end up referring to anime series that have been aired several years ago (by which time most forum members have moved on to newer anime series for discussions), because the nature of my work is such that I neither have the time nor the resources to keep up with the latest anime series--and any on-going and long-running anime such as Naruto, DBZ, or Bleach is simply out of the question.

sunnyside
10-02-2013, 11:45 AM
Almost every forum I've posted on, I noticed this interesting pattern. The Offtopic/Miscellaenous forums are the most popular by far.

The offtopic sub-forum has by far the most posts. Way more posts than any of the other sub forums. I think this is because people like to discuss offtopic things which deviate from the main topic of the forum. This site's offtopic forum has 600,000 posts (it compromises of 1/4 of all of this forum's posts).

Anyone has explanations for this interesting phenomenon?

I'll agree with some of the things people have said above. I do find this to be the trend for what I might call "fan" forums. Most of us probably came here wanting something specific (recomendations, to find something out about or to discuss a specific series, or maybe something related to one of the other the subforum).

But once here what you've got are people who are, to at least some degree, like minded and sharing in some common ground and knowledge. So it's natural to want to chat about all manner of things.

Forums focused on something more ongoing (game forums, political forums) tend to have other boards more active than their off topic boards. Some may not even have an off topic section (gun forums).

дух
10-02-2013, 11:51 AM

International 4-8818
10-02-2013, 12:15 PM

http://cdn.respect-mag.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/Pooh-Man-Funky-as-I-wanna.jpg

дух
10-02-2013, 03:24 PM
http://cdn.respect-mag.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/Pooh-Man-Funky-as-I-wanna.jpg

LOL YES!!!!!!!!!! POOH-MAN RULES! lmao