PDA

View Full Version : Most racist cartoon of the decade

Animedude5555
09-03-2013, 12:13 AM
It's Xiaolin Showdown.

Talk about using racial stereotypes in cartoons. WOW! The main character, who's supposed to be Asian, literally has YELLOW SKIN. I'm not kidding!

http://i.imgur.com/qrt4SPC.jpg

ChibiLovett
09-03-2013, 01:10 AM
Looking back, yeah the show was pretty racist. Kimiko as the quintessential cutesy Japanese girl, Clay the cowboy, it was pretty bad.

I still liked it, though. :3 Probably still would even now, if I watched it again.

I actually believe they recently made (or are making, not sure) a new series of it.

Movie Dave
09-03-2013, 01:13 AM
I wouldn't call it racist. Yeah, sure it was very stereotypical, most things are in entertainment these days though.

Anime Forum
09-03-2013, 01:28 AM
Racist? Almost actually, but this show was more stereotypical than anything. Honestly though, him being colored yellow was borderline jawdropping and was no better than Jynx from Pokemon being black and having big lips. We all know what the makers had in mind making this without a doubt, but racist? Eh. Nah.

Animedude5555
09-03-2013, 02:36 AM
Yes it's stereotyping, but it is also racist because such stereotyping is known to offend Asians (referring to them as having yellow skin is very offensive to many Asians). So it is an offensive stereotype. That's why I called it racist. Depicting the American guy as a cowboy though is not racist, because even though it's stereotyping, most Americans are not offended by this kind of portrayal.

Showing Asians with yellow skin is like showing Blacks eating fried chicken and watermelon, or being lazy, or with exaggerated big lips. It's the very same type of stereotyping that got the "censored 11" cartoons completely censored/banned (pulled from normal distribution, such that you can only find them on Youtube now).

DeathBlade/13.666
09-03-2013, 03:59 AM
Ever give thought to maybe he's just tanned? Please give note to the other Asian in this picture and the other Asians in the show.
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/6/6a/Xiaolin_Showdown.jpg
She's not yellow at all.
In fact of the other Asians characters, only Grand Master Dashi is also yellow, though less yellow than Omi.

KyouFalls
09-03-2013, 04:59 AM
lolwut?

Sympathy
09-03-2013, 06:26 AM
reading this dude's threads gives me heartburn. think i won't do it anymore.

Animedude5555
09-03-2013, 06:27 AM
Ever give thought to maybe he's just tanned? Please give note to the other Asian in this picture and the other Asians in the show.
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/6/6a/Xiaolin_Showdown.jpg
She's not yellow at all.
In fact of the other Asians characters, only Grand Master Dashi is also yellow, though less yellow than Omi.

The Japanese girl is very pale, almost pure white in color. This is also a stereotype. It's bases on Geishas, who wore white makeup.

.:neuko:.
09-03-2013, 10:58 AM
Well if comic books are considered as cartoons (to allow the broader definition of the term), then I'd say that the Tintin books were pretty much borderline racist, and they make some of the other "racist" cartoons seem almost politically correct by comparison...

I mean, come on; we don't all wear daft hats like that!

http://resources2.news.com.au/images/2007/07/18/va1237257312087/Racist-Tintin-not-for-children-5572951.jpg

Edit: I just remembered: Tintin is an animated cartoon as well!

DeathBlade/13.666
09-03-2013, 02:57 PM
The Japanese girl is very pale, almost pure white in color. This is also a stereotype. It's bases on Geishas, who wore white makeup.Still doesn't explain the other Asians in the show, dude. And that's not really a stereotype, Asians have a myriad of skin tones much like White people. Those who are poorer and live in more rural areas tend to be more tanned due to working in the sun all day. Those in more urban areas and have some level of income tend to be much whiter. I haven't see all that many tanned Asians that are of Chinese, Korean, and Japanese descent. Those in more poorer and rural nations like Laos, Taiwan, Cambodia, tend to be more tanned. At the same time you have to consider the geographical climate of where they live and where their ancestry lived. Most Asians in Alaska are damney whiter than me. But many that trace their roots to the Polynesian Islands, Phillipines, Taiwan, Thailand, and more are still fairly tanned despite the climate.

Clayton_n
09-05-2013, 12:45 PM
Actually it's not racist, just cliche. They were meant to represent people in certain areas and well there are people like them in the places they were supposed to have come from. I mean you wouldn't expect a Rastafarian being raised in a xiaolin temple in China, now would you?

Animedude5555
09-07-2013, 02:18 PM
What's rastafarian?

DeathBlade/13.666
09-07-2013, 03:06 PM
What's rastafarian?
1953 (Rastafarite), from Rastafari, Jamaican religion built around writings of Marcus Garvey and belief that Haile Selassie (1892-1975), former emperor of Ethiopia, was God. From Ras Tafari, Selassie's title from 1916 to his accession in 1936, from Amharic ras "chief, head" (from Arabic ra's) + tafari
"to be feared." Shortened form Rasta is recorded from 1955.
http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/rastafarian?s=t

Kaleohano
09-08-2013, 01:36 AM
so does that mean that black characters having brown skin, jews wearing yamakas, rednecks driving big trucks, germans drinking beer, russians being tough, mongolians breaking walls, japanese people attacking the whales in seaworld, people from amsterdam smoking a lot of pot, americans eating cheeseburgers, british people hiding in subways, women from thailand having boy-parts downstairs, and arabs making police car noises followed by a loud bang in cartoons now is also racist?

dang, just where the heck have i been for the last decade? I never received a memo or anything.

https://i.chzbgr.com/maxW500/4029348864/h4167927E/

Clayton_n
09-09-2013, 03:54 PM
Are you saying Cyborg is a racist stereo type (and not just because his body has a built in stereo)?

http://www.headinjurytheater.com/forces%20of%20nature%20face%20off.jpg

BrittonPatrick
09-10-2013, 06:37 AM
Yeah that does looks like racist..i hope they don't air it someday..that would create a lot of controversies.

wolfgirl90
09-11-2013, 01:34 PM
It's Xiaolin Showdown.

Talk about using racial stereotypes in cartoons. WOW! The main character, who's supposed to be Asian, literally has YELLOW SKIN. I'm not kidding!

First, if your best shot at racist cartoons is Xiaolin Showdown, a cartoon that came out ten bloody years ago, then you must not have a life. At the very least, use a cartoon that actually runs on racism, like Drawn Together, which actually has a character that is basically a racist caricature.

http://images1.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20071004023137/drawntogether/images/e/e0/Linglingbattle.jpg

Second, Omi having yellow skin should actually be one of your least concerns. How about the fact that he speaks in broken English and butchers most idiomatic phrases? Hell, most of the main characters are stereotypical: Kimiko is Japanese and tech-savvy, Clay is Texan and speaks in metaphors, and Raimundo is a street smart rebel. This isn't unique to Xaiolin Showdown; cultural stereotypes are present in most cartoons.

Now, while stereotypes of this type are inherently racist, this doesn't mean that the cartoons, in and of themselves, are racist (well, with the exception of Drawn Together) or that the people that they represent actually give a damn. In fact, some of these "racist" cartoons have people of that race working on the show. Hell, the creator of Xiaolin Showdown is a Chinese-American woman. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christy_Hui) :rolleyes::rolleyes:

If you are going to stick unnecessary racism into cartoons, be better prepared for an argument. Do a little better than "X character's skin is yellow.":rolleyes:

http://morethings.com/fan/drawn_together/foxxy_love_vs_board_of_education/10ling_ling_asian_test_taker15.jpg

Clayton_n
09-11-2013, 03:56 PM
I liked when they gave Princess Clara the Japanese eye test.

Sky Hedgehogian Maestro
09-11-2013, 05:10 PM
I'm still struggling to see 'yellow skinned' Asians. Most look pretty white to me. Just more olivey-skinned.
Yeah, stereotypes are inevitable in children's cartoons because kids see the world through stereotypes.

DeathBlade/13.666
09-11-2013, 05:53 PM
I'm still struggling to see 'yellow skinned' Asians. Most look pretty white to me. Just more olivey-skinned.
Yeah, stereotypes are inevitable in children's cartoons because kids see the world through stereotypes.Go back to the 1800's and it might make more sense.

Animedude5555
09-12-2013, 09:59 PM
First, if your best shot at racist cartoons is Xiaolin Showdown, a cartoon that came out ten bloody years ago, then you must not have a life. At the very least, use a cartoon that actually runs on racism, like Drawn Together, which actually has a character that is basically a racist caricature.

http://images1.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20071004023137/drawntogether/images/e/e0/Linglingbattle.jpg

Second, Omi having yellow skin should actually be one of your least concerns. How about the fact that he speaks in broken English and butchers most idiomatic phrases? Hell, most of the main characters are stereotypical: Kimiko is Japanese and tech-savvy, Clay is Texan and speaks in metaphors, and Raimundo is a street smart rebel. This isn't unique to Xaiolin Showdown; cultural stereotypes are present in most cartoons.

Now, while stereotypes of this type are inherently racist, this doesn't mean that the cartoons, in and of themselves, are racist (well, with the exception of Drawn Together) or that the people that they represent actually give a damn. In fact, some of these "racist" cartoons have people of that race working on the show. Hell, the creator of Xiaolin Showdown is a Chinese-American woman. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christy_Hui) :rolleyes::rolleyes:

If you are going to stick unnecessary racism into cartoons, be better prepared for an argument. Do a little better than "X character's skin is yellow.":rolleyes:

http://morethings.com/fan/drawn_together/foxxy_love_vs_board_of_education/10ling_ling_asian_test_taker15.jpg

Well yeah Drawn Together is meant to be offensive, it parodies stuff. And satire often involves offensive humor, and of course this is the route Drawn Together takes with its more "adult" humor. Kids shows like Xiaolin Showdown are NOT supposed to be offensive though.

And yes it may be an old cartoon, but I recently saw an add for it on Cartoon Network (I think that was the channel). I think that they are restarting the series of something. When I saw in that ad, the Asian kid with the yellow face, I was considering reporting the TV station to the ACLU or Anti-Defamation League, or other group that is known for being against racism/stereotypes/bigotry, on account of them running this cartoon. Until I'd seen that ad, I'd not known what the cartoon was about, nor had I seen any pics of it (just heard of its name). After seeing that ad, I was shocked and offended. And I'm not even Asian. I'm white.

---------- Post added at 07:59 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:53 PM ----------

Yeah that does looks like racist..i hope they don't air it someday..that would create a lot of controversies.

What show are you talking about?

wolfgirl90
09-14-2013, 05:58 PM
Well yeah Drawn Together is meant to be offensive, it parodies stuff. And satire often involves offensive humor, and of course this is the route Drawn Together takes with its more "adult" humor. Kids shows like Xiaolin Showdown are NOT supposed to be offensive though.

I picked Drawn Together as an example because if you are going to talk about "the most racist cartoon of the decade", Drawn Together is a much better candidate. It isn't exempt because it isn't kid's show. Hell, we can put South Park and Family Guy on that list too while we are at it.

And when it comes to cartoons not being offensive...well, we will get to that in a bit.

When I saw in that ad, the Asian kid with the yellow face, I was considering reporting the TV station to the ACLU or Anti-Defamation League, or other group that is known for being against racism/stereotypes/bigotry, on account of them running this cartoon. Until I'd seen that ad, I'd not known what the cartoon was about, nor had I seen any pics of it (just heard of its name). After seeing that ad, I was shocked and offended. And I'm not even Asian. I'm white.

Well, that's a problem for two reasons. One, it is one thing to find something offensive and another thing to be personally offended by it. Since you are white, you can only be "offended" by this show by a certain amount since it doesn't apply to you. Being offended as a third-party makes no sense to me. You can be sympathetic sure, but being offended is silly.

Second, as I have said before, stereotypes are inherently racist, however, their "offensiveness" is judged by the people being stereotyped. If those people don't care, why should anyone else? Xiaolin Showdown was on the air for three years and I don't remember hearing about people being offended by it, particularly since the creator of the show is Asian (surely she isn't using a kids show to push stereotypes...about herself). Omi being yellow isn't the best decision, but it doesn't make Xiaolin Showdown the most racist cartoon.

Plus, there is honestly no pleasing some people. Even if Omi had the typical "crayola-apricot" skin color, people would complain that we were making Asians white (and whitewashing is very typical in Hollywood, so this argument could happen) or put some other spin on it. Hell, you think that Kimiko's white skin is some connection to geishas. It can't be for any OTHER reason. That is about as bad as when some people were complaining that Jake from American Dragon: Jake Long was shorter than his love interest Rose, saying that it was using the stereotype that Asians are short.

http://images.wikia.com/disney/images/3/3c/American_Dragon_Jake_Long_Adjl_The_Academy_3_3_-_VidoEmo_-_Emotional_Video_Unity3.jpg

Of course, it can't be because they are both teenagers and Jake would go through puberty later than Rose and therefore be shorter than her.:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Omi's skin color is a bit racist, but isn't the most racist thing on television. And it is really silly that despite everything else in the show, his skin color has to derail everything. God help us if we ever decide to pair up an Asian with the color yellow.:rolleyes:

http://blondesearch.ru/img/28/288/In_Memory_Of_Trini_Kwan_The_Original_Yellow_Ranger .jpg

Oh crap...:mellow:

Animedude5555
09-15-2013, 02:21 AM
I picked Drawn Together as an example because if you are going to talk about "the most racist cartoon of the decade", Drawn Together is a much better candidate. It isn't exempt because it isn't kid's show. Hell, we can put South Park and Family Guy on that list too while we are at it.

And when it comes to cartoons not being offensive...well, we will get to that in a bit.

Well, that's a problem for two reasons. One, it is one thing to find something offensive and another thing to be personally offended by it. Since you are white, you can only be "offended" by this show by a certain amount since it doesn't apply to you. Being offended as a third-party makes no sense to me. You can be sympathetic sure, but being offended is silly.

Second, as I have said before, stereotypes are inherently racist, however, their "offensiveness" is judged by the people being stereotyped. If those people don't care, why should anyone else? Xiaolin Showdown was on the air for three years and I don't remember hearing about people being offended by it, particularly since the creator of the show is Asian (surely she isn't using a kids show to push stereotypes...about herself). Omi being yellow isn't the best decision, but it doesn't make Xiaolin Showdown the most racist cartoon.

Plus, there is honestly no pleasing some people. Even if Omi had the typical "crayola-apricot" skin color, people would complain that we were making Asians white (and whitewashing is very typical in Hollywood, so this argument could happen) or put some other spin on it. Hell, you think that Kimiko's white skin is some connection to geishas. It can't be for any OTHER reason. That is about as bad as when some people were complaining that Jake from American Dragon: Jake Long was shorter than his love interest Rose, saying that it was using the stereotype that Asians are short.

http://images.wikia.com/disney/images/3/3c/American_Dragon_Jake_Long_Adjl_The_Academy_3_3_-_VidoEmo_-_Emotional_Video_Unity3.jpg

Of course, it can't be because they are both teenagers and Jake would go through puberty later than Rose and therefore be shorter than her.:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Omi's skin color is a bit racist, but isn't the most racist thing on television. And it is really silly that despite everything else in the show, his skin color has to derail everything. God help us if we ever decide to pair up an Asian with the color yellow.:rolleyes:

http://blondesearch.ru/img/28/288/In_Memory_Of_Trini_Kwan_The_Original_Yellow_Ranger .jpg

Oh crap...:mellow:

That last one though was offensive. I read on the net in fact that's why the next time they had an Asian power ranger, they didn't use a yellow costume. In fact I don't think there's been another yellow power ranger since who's been Asian.

PinkGalaxies
09-15-2013, 02:56 AM
Why of the decade? Let's go back to Disney in the 40s. >.> Ironically, nobody thought things like this were racist.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UacUR7bPnMM

On topic: I really haven't seen many cartoons that were super racist, but just about everything has something someone takes offensively, even if it's not meant to be offensive. I think people who worry about racism in cartoons have too much time on their hands and really are thinking too far in depth with it. It's kinda like saying Daffy and Bugs is a racist thing because Daffy always loses and Bugs always wins. Kids don't even care about those things anyway. If anything, people should be worried about the sexual content that gets thrown into cartoons.

Sky Hedgehogian Maestro
09-15-2013, 10:00 AM
In this age of political correctness, everything is racist. The fact that the font on an anime forum is yellow- must be a racist stab at Asians, huh? And then people get bent out of shape to change it to make it "safe."
Deal with it.
If there's one thing I ever agreed with conservatives/reactionaries on, it's that white liberals are insane and often the most hilariously racist people there are. That and gun control sucks. Then again, I doubt most cons even consider the thought that com... well, never mind, lest a flame war starts.

DeathBlade/13.666
09-15-2013, 04:41 PM
In this age of political correctness, everything is racist. The fact that the font on an anime forum is yellow- must be a racist stab at Asians, huh? And then people get bent out of shape to change it to make it "safe."
Deal with it.
If there's one thing I ever agreed with conservatives/reactionaries on, it's that white liberals are insane and often the most hilariously racist people there are. That and gun control sucks. Then again, I doubt most cons even consider the thought that com... well, never mind, lest a flame war starts.
Hey, the voices in my head take offense to that. Not all white liberals are crazy (just a good number of them).

wolfgirl90
09-17-2013, 01:31 AM
That last one though was offensive. I read on the net in fact that's why the next time they had an Asian power ranger, they didn't use a yellow costume. In fact I don't think there's been another yellow power ranger since who's been Asian.

You missed my point with the Ranger thing, so I will make it a bit more clear.

Indeed, there hasn't been another Yellow Ranger depicted by an Asian (as far as I know), but that is only because of the backlash due to the supposed "racism" of having Thuy Trang as the Yellow Ranger. Its not as if Saban chose Trang as the Yellow Ranger because of her race. In fact, the very first person they chose to be the Yellow Ranger (used only in a pilot) wasn't Asian (she asked for a raise; Saban said no and chose Trang instead).

My point was that people only see the "racist" aspect when they are being hyper-PC and see racism that isn't there. If Trang was ANY OTHER color of Ranger, no one would have said a thing. Its only a problem if she is the Yellow Ranger and the reason that she is the Yellow Ranger apparently HAS to be the fact that Saban is racist and for no other reason.:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Also, again, the PC factor only seems to be coming from people who are not members of that race and don't know much about the show. I mean, people are complaining about Saban's choice in Yellow Ranger when, technically, every single Yellow Ranger is Asian. In case you have forgotten, Power Rangers based on a Japanese show called Super Sentai. Hell, just to blow your mind, there is a reason why Trini's uniform doesn't have a skirt and she's flat-chested. The Yellow Ranger in Kyōryū Sentai Zyuranger (the Super Sentai series used for Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers) is a dude.
http://spd.fotolog.com/photo/45/36/40/ranger_mania_23/1208328793_f.jpg

http://images.wikia.com/powerrangers/images/6/61/TigerRanger02.jpg

The same thing applies for Omi. If he had been any other color under the sun, it would have been fine. However, the fact that he is yellow, and ONLY that fact, apparently makes the show racist, regardless of who created it and anything else that happens in the show. Yeah, that makes no sense.

BronyBradyBuddyKiller
10-09-2013, 02:27 PM
I didn't see the show as being racist. Heck, I enjoyed it thoroughly and I probably would if I ever watched it again. Sure, now that I look back on it I guess it was a little bit stereotypical, but racist? Nah.
But hey, what do I know?

Swaggy Missy-Chan
12-08-2013, 04:39 AM
It's Xiaolin Showdown.

If not black skin?? White? Obviously u mentioned asian u give him the asian skin la.

OhMyAmethyst
12-09-2013, 10:44 PM
It's Xiaolin Showdown.

You know what. Now that you point that out, it's kinda -m*ssed- up and disturbing. Guess I never looked at it that way... O-o

---------- Post added at 12:33 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:31 AM ----------

You missed my point with the Ranger thing, so I will make it a bit more clear.

Indeed, there hasn't been another Yellow Ranger depicted by an Asian (as far as I know), but that is only because of the backlash due to the supposed "racism" of having Thuy Trang as the Yellow Ranger. Its not as if Saban chose Trang as the Yellow Ranger because of her race. In fact, the very first person they chose to be the Yellow Ranger (used only in a pilot) wasn't Asian (she asked for a raise; Saban said no and chose Trang instead).

My point was that people only see the "racist" aspect when they are being hyper-PC and see racism that isn't there. If Trang was ANY OTHER color of Ranger, no one would have said a thing. Its only a problem if she is the Yellow Ranger and the reason that she is the Yellow Ranger apparently HAS to be the fact that Saban is racist and for no other reason.:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Also, again, the PC factor only seems to be coming from people who are not members of that race and don't know much about the show. I mean, people are complaining about Saban's choice in Yellow Ranger when, technically, every single Yellow Ranger is Asian. In case you have forgotten, Power Rangers based on a Japanese show called Super Sentai. Hell, just to blow your mind, there is a reason why Trini's uniform doesn't have a skirt and she's flat-chested. The Yellow Ranger in Kyōryū Sentai Zyuranger (the Super Sentai series used for Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers) is a dude.
http://spd.fotolog.com/photo/45/36/40/ranger_mania_23/1208328793_f.jpg

http://images.wikia.com/powerrangers/images/6/61/TigerRanger02.jpg

The same thing applies for Omi. If he had been any other color under the sun, it would have been fine. However, the fact that he is yellow, and ONLY that fact, apparently makes the show racist, regardless of who created it and anything else that happens in the show. Yeah, that makes no sense.

That.... is..... Hilarious. I swear, you don't notice things when you're younger.

---------- Post added at 12:44 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:33 AM ----------

You want RACIST?

Don't forget Tom and Jerry chalked full of racist stereotyping.

Example: Episode, Old Rockin' Chair Tom

I hope you know exactly what I'm pointing out. Yes, the heavy set, short-tempered black house keeper.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/4/40/Mammytwoshoes.jpg

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=-W8WmsrVRtE

Mammy Two Shoes (sometimes Mrs. Two Shoes) is a fictional character in MGM's Tom and Jerry cartoons. She is a heavy-set middle-aged black woman who often has to deal with the mayhem generated by the lead characters.

Voiced by the lovely Lillian Randolph
herself. This controversial and frankly offensive episode aired in the early 50's (shocker.)
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/6/68/Lillian_Randolph_Beulah_Radio_1952.JPG I can't believe the voice actor herself can't see through how 'not okay' this is. Makes me wonder what they brainwashed with, good lord. The fact that they would even allow certain things to be aired on television really makes me question whether or not each generation just doesn't see to how much of a mockery it really is, for fuck sake...