PDA

View Full Version : nazis in anime

Clayton_n
08-20-2013, 05:44 PM
Why are there so many Nazis in anime?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t2Gus8Fk9yg

darkrider21
08-21-2013, 08:05 PM
i do recall episodes of black lagoon where the crew go up aginst neon nazis over a painting *suposidley* painteed by hitler himself episodes 4-6

Sky Hedgehogian Maestro
08-21-2013, 09:25 PM
Because they're near-universally considered the ultimate human evil, I guess. What better subject for someone to fight than something that's instantly recognizable as evil?

Prince Darien
08-22-2013, 04:49 AM
The Nazis are pretty much transcended being just historical figures and have entered the realm of pop culture as the ultimate evil. They are a familiar trope to fall upon that does not require much of a back story or character development. Even anime/manga that does feature Nazis directly has villains who influenced by the Nazis. Mobile Suit Gundam would fall into the category.

Clayton_n
08-24-2013, 12:46 PM
Yeah, but weren't the Japanese their allies?

Sky Hedgehogian Maestro
08-25-2013, 12:28 PM
The Russians were their allies at one point as well.
And the Nazis spoke of racial purification for the Aryan race. The Japanese don't fit in their superiorist world view, and I'm stunned that so many people think that the Germans, Italians, and Japanese would've been Sporty Ol' Chums if they won the war.

Sympathy
08-26-2013, 07:30 AM
Clayton, you're saying some really stupid sh*t. Nazis are a part of pop culture, not just anime. ever notice that in the globally popular franchise Indiana Jones, the bad guys are usually nazis? they're internationally recognized bad guys, and are used as villains in every form of media and entertainment imaginable.

and yes, Japan was allied with Nazi Germany in world war two, but we're not living in 1942. also, i don't see what in hell the fact that they were allies in world war 2 has to do with... anything.

Darksocks
08-26-2013, 11:53 AM
I seem to remember the creator of hellsing (Kohta Hirano) as saying that nazis are great to use as a villian because of their instant recognition as evil. Also they are one of the few historical figures who you can write any crazy old thing about because they were insane. Something along those lines anyway. I can't find the direct quote. (^ ^;)

---------- Post added at 05:53 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:52 PM ----------

uuuuuugh goddamn smilies

Clayton_n
08-26-2013, 03:30 PM
Clayton, you're saying some really stupid sh*t. Nazis are a part of pop culture, not just anime. ever notice that in the globally popular franchise Indiana Jones, the bad guys are usually nazis? they're internationally recognized bad guys, and are used as villains in every form of media and entertainment imaginable.

Sorry, it's just they ruin everything. I mean seriously look at shows like Full Metal Alchemist and Hellsing, which have versions with nazis and without. The versions without are ALWAYS more entertaining. There are plenty of bad guys who could replace them in ANY anime. I mean racial purity is all well and good for a bad guy, but they don't have to wear a freaking swastika to do it and they certainly don't need the accent. Show some originality here. As much fun as it is seeing nazis die by the thousands (Joke: What do you call 1000 dead nazis? A good start.) but come on. You don't need to rip off one of histories biggest losers to do it.

Now if there were an anime with GOOD nazis, that might be original and cool.

Sympathy
08-26-2013, 05:17 PM
i preferred the hellsing manga (nazis included) over the anime, which is sans nazis. all just a matter of personal preference, people must still enjoy seeming them targeted because they're still showing up in pop culture.

Clayton_n
08-28-2013, 03:17 PM
True. Nobody feels bad about killing Nazis.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YssMT0qXYOw

ParaParaJMo
08-29-2013, 02:42 PM
It's funny in the original Ringu ni Kakero manga, the German team was Nazis and they were kind of good guys.

In the second story arc of Jojo's Bizarre Adventure, Joseph, the main character of the story arc, has to team up with a cyborg nazi and that nazi would be the inspiration of Guile from Street Fighter