PDA

View Full Version : Decent Americanime?

Sky Hedgehogian Maestro
07-30-2013, 09:16 AM
I'm just curious about this phenomenon, and I don't mean to drag anime into the Western Animation section, but seriously= besides Teen Titans, Avatar, and The Boondocks, what other anime-inspired show made in the West is worth your time? And has there been an Americanime that actually attempts to emulate the traditional anime styles we're used to seeing?
I feel that the first little wave of "Americanime" was more or less the West responding to anime with the edgier styles and longer plots. If there's a second wave, I bet it would more closely follow the tropes without flanderizing them to death.
I say this because, currently, there's not much in Western Animation that's really drawing my attention. In fact, a lot of it is pissing me off. Anime, on the other hand, still has its hits and misses but I find it more tolerable. If America, the UK, France, whatever- someone in the West makes a decent Anime-influenced show that proves that animesque can only be of quality even if it's it's not made in Japan (sans the "It's Japan's culture, ya' knob!" argument) then I'd feel better about Non-Major Release CGI Movie animation. Because now Western shows are just getting... getting meh. Regular Show's OK to me, but I've always been intrigued by Americanime.
So long story short, is there any decent Americanime out there, or are one of you planning on making one that doesn't suck? If I'm just wasting my time, go ahead and copy and paste that and use that as a sardonic answer.

DeathBlade/13.666
07-30-2013, 01:57 PM
Well are you looking for a decent show or for a decent movie? Or simply anything animated outside of Japan that's good?

Movie Dave
07-30-2013, 02:22 PM
The Legend of Korra and The Last Airbender are as close as "americanime" as it gets. there are other great shows like Young Justice, Avengers: Earth's mightiest heroes, Tron: Uprising, I've been watching Ultimate Spiderman is actually pretty damn entertaining... why not expand your horizons more? There's good stuff out there if you really pay attention. Also, keep in mind that animation for western television is mainly focusing for a younger audience, which is why they have so many restrictions on violence, thick plots and death. but only because they have those restrictions, doesn't mean it can't be good.

Clayton_n
07-30-2013, 04:27 PM
Megas XLR

Afro Samurai

Stitch!

Courtney Crumrin

Dramacon

Ninja Highschool

What else... let me think a while. I'll have more.

Sky Hedgehogian Maestro
07-31-2013, 08:33 AM
The Legend of Korra and The Last Airbender are as close as "americanime" as it gets. there are other great shows like Young Justice, Avengers: Earth's mightiest heroes, Tron: Uprising, I've been watching Ultimate Spiderman is actually pretty damn entertaining... why not expand your horizons more? There's good stuff out there if you really pay attention. Also, keep in mind that animation for western television is mainly focusing for a younger audience, which is why they have so many restrictions on violence, thick plots and death. but only because they have those restrictions, doesn't mean it can't be good.
No,no,no,no, wait a sec...
I didn't mean to come off as "I hate Western Animation." Because I kinda do as this point.
The reason I'm looking for Americanime is just because I like looking at Westerners' attempts at mimicking anime, often with their own unique mixes thrown in, and wondering if any of them has ever went the whole nine yards and tried making something that could be definitely called anime, if not Japanese. But as for Western Animation as a whole, I've tried several of those shows you mentioned to little effect.
I would give them leeway had I been in a more forgiving mood. But after they canceled Young Justice and DEFINITELY after they canceled this lovely modern masterpiece https://encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRBsbG5DXqPlfYSOrXKHKXEvU5NHAAW0 ad_BLiPLfKZQMouP5mvJQ I just lost all interest. Mainly, I'm lurking around the older shows, such as Animaniacs and Courage the Cowardly Dog and Powerpuff Girls (itself Animesque) while the only 'new' show I'm invested in has to be Regular Show as I mentioned. I want to jump into Legend of Korra, but I want to get into Avatar first (I've never been able to catch the first few episodes, which is where I always have to start with an arcing story or else I just won't be interested for some reason). Unless Korra works on its own, which no one has told me yet.

The point I was makin' with the thread, though, was that I was just curious as to if Americans/Westerners ever made a good anime. Esque. Animation. And looking at Clayton_n's post, I totally forgot about Afro Samurai and Megas XLR.
The restrictions don't matter to me. In fact, it makes for good "Getting Crap Past The Radar" when it works (again, Animaniacs is almost as brilliant as Looney Tunes, and Regular Show is just... did they really do that?). It's just that I haven't seen too many shows that are that appealing.
It's like, to me, all new 'toons are like Modern Spongebob-relying too much on shock and gross humor and "Really, Bro?" kind of jokes- and the ones I like the most are like Classic Spongebob- where the stuff's actually entertaining and funny.
As for action shows, it seems that no one's willing to give full-on action a shot anymore. Ben 10: Ultimate Alien and Alien Force were cool, but Omniverse just doesn't hold my attention. Johnny... Effi'in.... Test. No, just... And Young Justice? I thought it was like Teen Titans, but darker and more focused with wondrous light hearted moments interspaced. Not too much longer later, it's canceled, pretty much replaced by Teen Titans Go!.... God. Jesus. Allah. Satan.
And don't worry, Beware The Batman is goin' down soon, trust me. Probably by the Sonic version of Pacman and the Ghostly Adventures (Sonic Boom). So, to me right now, besides Regular Show (and maybe Gravity Falls), there's just not much going for kid-oriented Western Animation and adult-oriented WA I have the same feelings for as live action shows= mixed, depending on the show.

But enough about that; still looking for Westerners animatin' some anime.

Animedude5555
08-06-2013, 06:18 AM
There's one really good "americanime" (or at least "western made anime") that Disney made, called "W.I.T.C.H.". It's a really good series. Too bad the DVD released in the US has season-1 only. The UK DVD release has both seasons. I think both seasons aired in the US (though I'm not sure), but only the first season was released on DVD in the US.

Also you can try Magi Nation. That's a pretty good one.

Kaleohano
08-06-2013, 07:23 AM
the boondocks
and ummm... family guy

Animedude5555
08-06-2013, 01:51 PM
the boondocks
and ummm... family guy

Family Guy is a cartoon. It's not even done in anime style. So it doesn't count as "Americanime" I've never seen the boondocks cartoon though, so I can't say about it.
But would I recommend watching familly guy at all? NO. It's way too foul and full of dirty humor that I don't think is good to listen too

Kaleohano
08-06-2013, 09:10 PM
Family Guy is a cartoon. It's not even done in anime style. So it doesn't count as "Americanime" I've never seen the boondocks cartoon though, so I can't say about it.
But would I recommend watching familly guy at all? NO. It's way too foul and full of dirty humor that I don't think is good to listen too

lol sure whatever you say. Anime is short for animation. Family guy is animated. Japanese "anime" is just a fancy looking cartoon. Anyways, ever consider not talking like a total jerk and developing a sense of humor?
oh, and boondocks is not a cartoon by your standards, its an "anime."

WARNING: Explicit Language
Video are gone. Find a clean(er) one to watch. There are some in The Boondocks thread

Anime Forum
08-07-2013, 02:03 AM
Red vs Blue created cartoons with anime visuals recently. Check them out!

sunnyside
08-07-2013, 11:32 AM
What exactly are you asking about?

Do you mean the art style where actually drawing noses on the girls is optional and the guys sometimes look rather like the girls?
Do you mean some of what is fairly unique to anime in terms of plotting and execution (i.e. the world is in danger, and only a certain curvey 14 year old girl and her shimapan can save it)?

In any case I don't feel like western media for adults has been all that influenced by anime. I can think of western animated shows for adults like Aeon Flux, Spawn the animated series, Heavy Metal,The Animatrix, and to a degree Gargoyles. However they don't seem particularly "anime like" and in any case in the west it seems to be felt that if something is worth doing, than it's worth doing live action.

Movie Dave
08-11-2013, 11:43 PM
No,no,no,no, wait a sec...
I didn't mean to come off as "I hate Western Animation." Because I kinda do as this point.
The reason I'm looking for Americanime is just because I like looking at Westerners' attempts at mimicking anime, often with their own unique mixes thrown in, and wondering if any of them has ever went the whole nine yards and tried making something that could be definitely called anime, if not Japanese. But as for Western Animation as a whole, I've tried several of those shows you mentioned to little effect.
I would give them leeway had I been in a more forgiving mood. But after they canceled Young Justice and DEFINITELY after they canceled this lovely modern masterpiece https://encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRBsbG5DXqPlfYSOrXKHKXEvU5NHAAW0 ad_BLiPLfKZQMouP5mvJQ I just lost all interest. Mainly, I'm lurking around the older shows, such as Animaniacs and Courage the Cowardly Dog and Powerpuff Girls (itself Animesque) while the only 'new' show I'm invested in has to be Regular Show as I mentioned. I want to jump into Legend of Korra, but I want to get into Avatar first (I've never been able to catch the first few episodes, which is where I always have to start with an arcing story or else I just won't be interested for some reason). Unless Korra works on its own, which no one has told me yet.

The point I was makin' with the thread, though, was that I was just curious as to if Americans/Westerners ever made a good anime. Esque. Animation. And looking at Clayton_n's post, I totally forgot about Afro Samurai and Megas XLR.
The restrictions don't matter to me. In fact, it makes for good "Getting Crap Past The Radar" when it works (again, Animaniacs is almost as brilliant as Looney Tunes, and Regular Show is just... did they really do that?). It's just that I haven't seen too many shows that are that appealing.
It's like, to me, all new 'toons are like Modern Spongebob-relying too much on shock and gross humor and "Really, Bro?" kind of jokes- and the ones I like the most are like Classic Spongebob- where the stuff's actually entertaining and funny.
As for action shows, it seems that no one's willing to give full-on action a shot anymore. Ben 10: Ultimate Alien and Alien Force were cool, but Omniverse just doesn't hold my attention. Johnny... Effi'in.... Test. No, just... And Young Justice? I thought it was like Teen Titans, but darker and more focused with wondrous light hearted moments interspaced. Not too much longer later, it's canceled, pretty much replaced by Teen Titans Go!.... God. Jesus. Allah. Satan.
And don't worry, Beware The Batman is goin' down soon, trust me. Probably by the Sonic version of Pacman and the Ghostly Adventures (Sonic Boom). So, to me right now, besides Regular Show (and maybe Gravity Falls), there's just not much going for kid-oriented Western Animation and adult-oriented WA I have the same feelings for as live action shows= mixed, depending on the show.

But enough about that; still looking for Westerners animatin' some anime.

Well, The Last Airbender is as close as you'll get. First season may lack but I assure you it gets good. other than that, there isn't anything. Otherwise you'd have heard about it. You can jump into Legend Of Korra with out watching the first series, you'll just miss a few of the references, none plot wise though.

FluffyDango
08-12-2013, 05:38 PM
Afro Samurai

Stitch!

Afro Samurai was made in Japan, by Gonzo.

I hope you don't mean Lilo and Stitch.
That cartoon doesn't have an anime style :P

Hanamaru Kunikida
08-13-2013, 12:08 AM
Afro Samurai was made in Japan, by Gonzo.

I hope you don't mean Lilo and Stitch.
That cartoon doesn't have an anime style :P

He means this
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stitch!

So I guess he's wrong, twice.

FluffyDango
08-13-2013, 04:25 AM
He means this

So I guess he's wrong, twice.

That link just sent me to a page with may refers.
But I'm guessing it's the Marvel comic one?
So if it's that one, yeah he got it wrong twice :P

Hanamaru Kunikida
08-13-2013, 07:10 AM
That link just sent me to a page with may refers.
But I'm guessing it's the Marvel comic one?
So if it's that one, yeah he got it wrong twice :P

No, trying adding "1" to the link.

For some reason it cuts it off but if anything just click "Stitch!, an anime produced by Disney and Madhouse debuting in 2008".

DeathBlade/13.666
08-13-2013, 09:28 AM

For some reason it cuts it off but if anything just click "Stitch!, an anime produced by Disney and Madhouse debuting in 2008".Fixed it for you. Just so you know for future reference, if you're having this problem. You go to "edit post" and just move the character that's outside the [/url] to inside the [/url]. I have this issue a lot with wiki url's ending with ).

Hanamaru Kunikida
08-13-2013, 09:36 AM
Fixed it for you. Just so you know for future reference, if you're having this problem. You go to "edit post" and just move the character that's outside the [/url] to inside the [/url]. I have this issue a lot with wiki url's ending with ).

Was thinking that but seem like too much effort just for this.

Thanks for fixing it though.:)

FluffyDango
08-13-2013, 10:36 AM

For some reason it cuts it off but if anything just click "Stitch!, an anime produced by Disney and Madhouse debuting in 2008".

Oh that one.

Also, instead of posting the link, you could've written Stitch!, marked it and put the link on the word.
Stitch! on Myanimelist (http://myanimelist.net/anime/5027/Stitch!)

Sky Hedgehogian Maestro
08-13-2013, 12:33 PM
Oh that one.

Also, instead of posting the link, you could've written Stitch!, marked it and put the link on the word.
Stich! on Myanimelist (http://myanimelist.net/anime/5027/Stitch!)

Its sole review there isn't promising, and I decided to take a few ganders of it on some online videos just to see if it's really that bad; totally agree with the childish dialogue but I can't say it necessarily looks bad. Though

Seriously, how do I talk about something that feels like it’s from America in storyline, characters, and concept? felt more like "it's not Japanese so don't bother watching it."

DeathBlade/13.666
08-13-2013, 12:39 PM
Was thinking that but seem like too much effort just for this.

Thanks for fixing it though.:)
No problem. ^.^

Clayton_n
08-14-2013, 03:21 PM
I saw a Sabrina Manga in Barnes and Noble yesterday.