PDA

View Full Version : Student rerimanded for stopping knife wielding bully.

Anoleis
06-02-2013, 12:50 PM
I asked: ‘In the time it would have taken him to go get a teacher, could that kid’s throat have been slit?’ She said yes, but that’s beside the point. That we ‘don’t condone heroics in this school.’ Instead of getting a pat on the back for his bravery, Briar was made to feel as if he had done something terribly wrong. The police were called, the teen filed a statement and his locker was searched.

Rest of the story. (news.nationalpost.com/2013/05/31/briar-maclean-reprimanded-for-stopping-a-knife-wielding-bully-at-school/)

So, sticking up for people is not okay any longer, dully noted.

CapnJack
06-02-2013, 01:22 PM
http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lttlqkqJ511qeham5o1_500.jpg

Ranshiin
06-02-2013, 01:58 PM
I just lost my last ounce of hope for modern society.

Light Buster
06-02-2013, 05:08 PM
People need to look into situations a little bit more before jumping to conclusions.

aether
06-02-2013, 05:15 PM
Its saddening really to see society is getting into this state of things

Albear
06-02-2013, 05:24 PM
The kid did the right thing. He intervened and stopped a potential tragedy instead of waiting or leaving.
Handled it like a baws.

Eris
06-02-2013, 05:50 PM
No good deed goes unpunished.

Kaleohano
06-03-2013, 08:26 AM
is the school serious? Thats some bs right there. Kid did a good job. I'd take him out and buy him whatever he wanted if he were my kid. I'd be proud as hell.

sunnyside
06-03-2013, 11:08 AM
I generally agree with the sentiments here. And frankly I'm quite disturbed in that this is also often the case for adults in much more serious situations and if kids are raised this way I've got a bad feeling those laws are just going to get worse. Already it's pretty much official policy that if some woman is being raped you should just call the police and let it happen (that varies by state though). And it's the case in my state that a criminal essentially has more right to your property than you do because if you try to physically stop them from taking whatever they want you're likely to go to jail.

That said I do appreciate that too often sticking up for someone else or even sticking up for yourself is just an excuse for escalating a fight.

Acnologia
06-04-2013, 03:37 AM
And this is why people are afraid to stand up to others, and why no one will help someone being bullied, because of systems like this. It just makes it harder for those being bullied. The kid could have been stabbed.

On the other hand, what are 7th graders doing with knives?

iLXAke4#P#AW^cEtbz%tB6vV
06-04-2013, 03:00 PM
He was punished for saving someone who could have died, and their excuse is that they "don't condone heroics"? That's a very awful school.

.:neuko:.
06-04-2013, 03:51 PM
If I could speak to that teacher I would have said this:

"Suppose that person being threatened was your own child, would you tell them that you can't help them because "we don't condone heroics in this school"?

Of course you wouldn't.

ParaParaJMo
06-04-2013, 04:14 PM
Zero tolerance policies suck

HeroValor
06-04-2013, 06:55 PM
I could understand a little bit if he was reprimanded because of the risk of his safety, but the fact that he's reprimanded for actually doing something is pretty pathetic.

We need people who actually do something, instead of ignoring the problem and walking away. My upmost respect goes out to that kid, hopefully he won't get convinced into thinking he needs to be apathetic like everyone else.

Hadokant
06-04-2013, 09:16 PM
Seriously wtf, apparently saving someone's life is not good enough for an excuse. If I was the freakin principal I would've given this guy an award for saving a innocent life. But now he is being treated like scum just because he saved somebody. Well guess what board of Calgary education. You kinda ****ed yourself over (excuse me for my language) because apparently they haven't learned that stuff like that does go online and when they open their mouths and say something stupid, we see who the real hero is. *slowly claps* nice job guys no seriously thanks

CapnJack
06-05-2013, 04:08 AM
What's next, don't save a drowning person? Don't save someone in a burning building? Wait for payed authority figures that are moderately trained by text books instead of acting on human instinct and sense of justice? Does this not further show an already screaming sign that certain powers in the world are trying all they can to control people so that oppression isn't fought back against?

Anoleis
06-05-2013, 12:22 PM
What's next, don't save a drowning person? Don't save someone in a burning building?
Sort of. (http://thelibertarianrepublic.com/san-antonio-police-use-taser-on-father-for-attempting-to-save-infant-son-from-house-fire/)

Hanamaru Kunikida
06-05-2013, 01:24 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VK3fjJqeVu4

In all seriousness though, this discourages doing the right thing.

Hood Rat Music
06-06-2013, 08:26 PM
It's called a "Zero tolerance policy".

ZTP is a crockpot of absurdity. They teach kids not to get involved and find an adult (they even have cartoon network flushing it into kid's brains, no wonder Green Lantern and Young Justice got canned lolol). Sadly, In my experience when I was kid the adults would rarely do anything other then report the incident to another source. Adults rarely care, and the kids who do the bullying rarely care about the punishment themselves, they just come back and do the same thing. It's rare you find a person who WILL do something and shrug off the punishment.

Oh, and by the time you get an adult who's not to busy to help some kid who's getting that schoolyard beat down, that victim has a black eye or two and is really bloodied up....Fairly flawed system.

@Acnologia (http://www.animeforum.com/member.php?u=61680)

"On the other hand, what are 7th graders doing with knives? "
It's not rare, I had a decent collection by the time I was 12, but I never took them to school.
The parents messed up somewhere.

On a somewhat related note: http://imgur.com/D1VBbsT Always be kind to a person you see in need!

SolanaNight
06-07-2013, 11:28 AM
Ughh.... what is wrong with society? Which is worse? The kid not telling an adult or letting the kid being bullied be stabbed? Honestly, the more of these stories I hear, they angrier I get. Before we know it, criminals are going to start being treated as heroes.

Speaking of which, there was another story similar to this not too long ago. Some thug was trying to break into a veteran's house, so the veteran fired a warning shot. He didn't even shoot the guy he just fired a warning, yet he now finds himself being charged. I don't know exactly what the charges are, but either way it's ridiculous. If someone is breaking into your house, what choice do you have than to believe that they're going to kill you if they find you? Are you just going to sit there and let yourself be murdered?

Overall, the people who deserve credit are losing it to those who deserve justice. Real justice. Not this bull being spewed out in modern society.

Grey Acumen
06-08-2013, 12:07 AM
That knife-wielding (jock?) bully is just lucky I wasn't there. All it would've taken is one slash of Moon Cleaver and he would be taken care of.

Hood Rat Music
06-08-2013, 01:47 AM
That knife-wielding (jock?) bully is just lucky I wasn't there. All it would've taken is one slash of Moon Cleaver and he would be taken care of.

http://www.fairfaxunderground.com/forum/file.php?2,file=40752,filename=say_that_to_my_face _fucker.jpg