PDA

View Full Version : Your favorite childhood books!

Tiel
04-16-2013, 10:56 AM
As a kid, I read a lot of books, many of which I still adore nowadays.

I was quite fond of series such as Redwall, the Adventure series by Enid Blyton, many of E. Nesbit's books, much of Roald Dahl's works, the Oz series, lots of books by Louisa May Alcott, and then seperate books such as Sherlock Holmes, The Secret Garden, Alice in Wonderland... the list goes on and on!

So my question to you now is: Which books were your favorites when you were a kid?

Pirouette
04-16-2013, 07:08 PM
Dr. Seuss - The Cat in the Hat, Green Eggs and Ham, One Fish Two Fish Red Fish Blue Fish, etc.

Robert Munsch - The Paper Bag Princess, Murmel Murmel Murmel, Mortimer, Thomas' Snowsuit, Stephanie's Ponytail, etc.

Ann M. Martin's Baby-Sitters Little Sister series.

J.K. Rowling's Harry Potter series.

Lewis Carroll's Alice in Wonderland

ChibiLovett
04-17-2013, 02:24 AM
When I was little?

The Witches of Friar's Lantern by Sandra Forrester is the only one I can actually still remember the title of, since I still own it so I'm looking at it right now. There was also some choose-your-own-adventure book I used to get from the bookmobile all the time that I honestly cannot remember the title of (I have the worst memory in the world for most things.), but it was a horror one that had something to do with Elizabeth Bathory at some point. There was another one that my teacher in 5th grade had that I used to read all the time, but again, my memory fails. I remember it was horror as well and there was some sort of shadow or hooded figure killing things, including a graphic scene with some dogs that it was not kind to.

Oh and I loved the Cirque du Freak series by Darren Shan! I still read those too. <3

Man I was a twisted child. .-. lol The only innocent one listed there was the first one!

ghostthegreat
04-17-2013, 12:41 PM
Surprised no one mentioned all those R.L. Stine books. I think I must have read every single one.

Raven Stargaryen
04-21-2013, 08:55 PM
I read Baby Sitters Club books as a kid. And then I got into Harry Potter....

Ravenclaw Isabella Riddle
05-15-2013, 01:15 AM
That would have to be the Nancy Drew Series! The originals not the newer versions!

Tiel
05-17-2013, 05:34 PM
That would have to be the Nancy Drew Series! The originals not the newer versions!

Excellent taste!
Aha, I raised meself on those.., see, my aunt had almost all of them, so when I visited her during the summer I would just plow through them like a starving man at a banquet!

tsuraiokami123
05-19-2013, 04:53 PM
The series I used to read were The Redwall Series, The Magic Tree House Books, The Goosebumps books were always some of my favorites, and probably the weirdest one was the Captain Underpants Books.

Vaida
05-26-2013, 07:59 PM
I think....my favourite childhood book was The Winter Prince by Elizabeth Wein. <3 I must've checked that book out 500 times. I also was big on Dracula by Bram Stoker and I really loved to read Beowulf. Beowulf in it's original format, I didn't care for the versions where they tried to story-ify it. Oh, I was also really big on Grimm's fairytales...D: Really big on them.

iLXAke4#P#AW^cEtbz%tB6vV
05-27-2013, 08:12 AM
I used to always read the Junie B Jones series, by Barbara Park.

RainyDayMan
07-08-2013, 12:00 AM
How about "A Wrinkle In Time" by Madeline L'engle?

Rusty Blade
09-07-2013, 07:22 PM
Oh and I loved the Cirque du Freak series by Darren Shan! I still read those too. <3

Yes! Darren Shan still remains one of my favourite authors but when I was a kid I freaking loved Cirque du Freak. I'd never followed a series properly until then and I religiously awaited each new book as it came out, pestering my parents to buy them for me. Ah, memories...I have almost everything he has ever written now, except for Zom-B but it's only a matter of time.

Also another one worth mentioning is Skullduggery Pleasant. I actually only ever read the first one as a child, but about two months ago I noticed it in a book store and there were like ten other books all of a sudden so I got the 2nd one, read it in a single night. The next day I bought the 3rd one. Finished it in another night. Next day I bought 4 and 5. Each time the same girl at the counter had coincidentally served me, looking more and more suspicious each day. Three days later I just bought everything else and now I'm completely up to date and eagerly awaiting the new one out this month!

Oh and Maximum Ride, I still need to finish that series.

And the Alex Rider series. They were pretty damn good too.

There were other books I read as a child that I never should have though. Evil, twisted, depraved and sickly violent stuff that I could only get away with by borrowing it from the library, sandwiched between more innocent looking books so my parents wouldn't see them. But those ones were the most fun to read!

ChibiLovett
09-09-2013, 02:49 AM
Yes! Darren Shan still remains one of my favourite authors but when I was a kid I freaking loved Cirque du Freak. I'd never followed a series properly until then and I religiously awaited each new book as it came out, pestering my parents to buy them for me. Ah, memories...I have almost everything he has ever written now, except for Zom-B but it's only a matter of time.

Also another one worth mentioning is Skullduggery Pleasant. I actually only ever read the first one as a child, but about two months ago I noticed it in a book store and there were like ten other books all of a sudden so I got the 2nd one, read it in a single night. The next day I bought the 3rd one. Finished it in another night. Next day I bought 4 and 5. Each time the same girl at the counter had coincidentally served me, looking more and more suspicious each day. Three days later I just bought everything else and now I'm completely up to date and eagerly awaiting the new one out this month!

There were other books I read as a child that I never should have though. Evil, twisted, depraved and sickly violent stuff that I could only get away with by borrowing it from the library, sandwiched between more innocent looking books so my parents wouldn't see them. But those ones were the most fun to read!
It literally took me years before I could get a hold of a copy of the 4th Cirque du Freak book anywhere, libraries or otherwise, without buying it, so eventually I gave up. Then I discovered the library here now has all of them sometime last year and started reading them again. I'm slowly making my way up since I have issues with my library card (Not my fault!) so I can't actually check anything out. ^^;

Judging from your taste, methinks I should check out that Skullduggery Pleasant. :3 The title makes it sound....odd....which is perfect. lol And I completely agree! Evil and twisted stories are the best. ;D

I can't believe I forgot to mention The Looking Glass Wars! That's still my favorite series ever, to this day. I got the first one out of a book order in school in sixth grade and read it while on vacation to my aunt's house (ended up ignoring everyone all night while I read it). How can you go wrong with something like that? Within the first few chapters there's a giant battle as Redd assassinates both royals, including binding her sister with thorny rose vines and then beheading her, and Alyss and Hatter get sent to our world. Meanwhile The Cat died at least once in the process. When I discovered there was a second one, I flipped! Then it said a third one was coming and I waited so impatiently for that thing to be released. Now I own them all in hardcover, have Princess Alyss of Wonderland, and still plan on getting the Hatter M. graphic novels once I can, even though I've already read most of them at the library. :D

Karirie
09-09-2013, 05:26 PM
I used to always read the Junie B Jones series, by Barbara Park.

Junie B Jones was my all time favorite as a kid. I really miss that series :).

Rusty Blade
09-10-2013, 12:22 AM
It literally took me years before I could get a hold of a copy of the 4th Cirque du Freak book anywhere, libraries or otherwise, without buying it, so eventually I gave up. Then I discovered the library here now has all of them sometime last year and started reading them again. I'm slowly making my way up since I have issues with my library card (Not my fault!) so I can't actually check anything out. ^^;

That's weird, I had trouble finding the 4th book too. For a while it wasn't in any stores or libraries or anywhere! Though I eventually found it about 6 or 7 months after it came out so I was still in time for the next one, but that only happened with number 4. Strange...

ChibiLovett
09-12-2013, 12:24 AM
That's weird, I had trouble finding the 4th book too. For a while it wasn't in any stores or libraries or anywhere! Though I eventually found it about 6 or 7 months after it came out so I was still in time for the next one, but that only happened with number 4. Strange...
Really? o.O That's odd. I guess it's the curse of Vampire Mountain! haha

AmandaNerdBot
09-13-2013, 01:27 AM
I absolutely loved Where's Waldo. I just loved searching for Waldo when I was a kid.

marisauna
12-08-2013, 12:07 AM
I always read my father's books as a kid, so I surprisingly read a lot of Tom Clancy and Ken Follett. I also had a more normal taste for Mark Twain.

RyuTama
12-08-2013, 03:36 AM
I loved Roald Dahl. Especially Matilda and James and the Giant Peach. Then there was Island of the Blue Dolphins by Scott O'Dell, the Animorphs series by K.A. Applegate, some original German Grimm's tales like Aschenputtel (Cinderella) and Rumpelstilzchen.

And of course, Harry Potter and some manga like Yu-Gi-Oh!: Duelist (so much darker than the anime) and InuYasha.

Then there's the more politically serious books that I was forced to read for school, but ended up loving. Like Night by Elie Wiesel, Roll of Thunder Hear My Cry by Mildred D Taylor, and The Clay Marble by Minfong Ho.

I don't think I ever liked the more "children-oriented" books like Junie B Jones or Captain Underpants. o.o;

And... after reading through some other posts... I NEVER REALIZED THERE WERE MORE BOOKS TO SKULLDUGGERY PLEASANT ASDFHJDF. I have like 8 books checked out from the library right now lol, but once I turn those in I NEED to have a look at those!

safeguard
01-05-2014, 10:51 AM
Anything and everything by L.M. Montgomery. The Hobbit and Lord of the Rings. And This Time of Darkness by H.M. Hoover really influenced my interest in science fiction. I also started reading Daphne du Maurier and the Brontes as a kid, now I just don't have the mental stamina to read those.

Excel Zero
01-15-2014, 03:43 PM
if we are talking like young young then the Little Mister books

As I got older I didn't read much but we had these old bound books full of fairy tales...I think like three whole volumes chocked full of the tales

Teagan
01-16-2014, 08:48 AM
De grote vriendelijke reus.

Lol it's a dutch book. English: The big kind giant.

S o l o
01-17-2014, 12:17 AM
Hank The Cowdog series.
(they don't know bout dat life.)

GameGeeks
01-17-2014, 12:21 AM
Narnia, Animorphs, Hobbit (Actually read this in the 4/5th grade), Goosebumps and that's pretty much all I can remember right now.

Blue Spirit
09-26-2015, 03:49 AM
Reading all the posts, it seems like that I'm the first and only one to say that I grew up with the Wakefield twins from Sweet Valley High by Francine Pascal. I don't know if I should hide in shame or what? They were very popular back in the day when I was a little girl, but I mostly read when the twins were in their senior year and other books that didn't follow any specific book series. I think I only read one or two from the university years because I couldn't find the rest and therefore stopped looking. I used to belong to a book club so I would buy books from that, borrow books from the library or buy from a store. I wasn't a fan of any other author until I eventually start reading The Lord of the Rings trilogy including The Hobbit, but by that time I was in my teens so I don't count that.

SaraG25
11-29-2015, 12:00 AM
The Rowan Hood series by Nancy Springer, Harry Potter, Bloody Jack series by L.A. Meyer, R.L. Stine, Eragon series and a bunch of others.

Intenigious
12-05-2015, 05:54 AM
pffshhttt books, anime all the way

lol nah I wasn't much of a reader but I read

Harry Potter Series - Jk Rowling

(you know it....) Deltora Quest - Emily Rodda

Three doors trilogy - Emily Rodda

Them Zac power books (Aussies know what im talkin bout)- HI Larry

And of course - Diary of a Wimpy Kid, taught me that popularity was everything from even before high school (yrs 7 and up for Australia)

kaufen
12-06-2015, 03:28 AM
The Mennyms. I don’t know anyone else who’s read this series but I absolutely loved it.

Nephthys
12-08-2015, 04:33 PM
Harry Potter of course.

Goosebumps.
The Giving Tree
The Bearstain Bears

DeathBlade/13.666
12-09-2015, 09:03 AM
The True Story of the Three Little Pigs was an all-time favorite of mine.
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-sRCodcjzVDc/T8Rsss2Q_CI/AAAAAAAACPk/n_Kwes97YSU/s1600/The+True+Story+of+the+3+Little+Pigs_Cover.jpg

But so was The Three Little Hawaiian Pigs and the Magic Shark.
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/61Q5hnk%2BMoL._SX258_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Nephthys
12-09-2015, 12:15 PM
Oh my God I remember having that book!! It was all because that poor wolf had a cold and wanted a cup of sugar!!! So he was huffing and puffing because he was so sick!! Poor misunderstood wolf!

DeathBlade/13.666
12-09-2015, 12:18 PM
I know right! Those pigs were jerks, and deserved to be eaten.

Nephthys
12-09-2015, 12:18 PM
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/b/b5/HungryCaterpillar.JPG and https://i.ytimg.com/vi/Gyk55GYnGl0/maxresdefault.jpg

Digimon_Sommelier
12-12-2015, 02:00 PM
The Very Hungry Caterpillar by Eric Carle was and is one of the best children's books to read.

On my end, I love all the Harry Potter books by J.K. Rowling, plus I remember reading The Phantom Tollbooth by Norton Juster way back when.

Holocast
01-01-2016, 02:09 PM
I really liked those really short Disney books, I used to have a million of them. I also really liked The Dish Ran Away With the Spoon, my school did a whole thing where the author came and read it to us then signed our copies of it. I still have it on my bookshelf today.

Estraya
03-28-2016, 08:11 PM
My favorite book as a child was Ping the duck XD

Vaishu
04-21-2016, 03:51 AM
Matilda by Roald Dahl was my absolute favourite as a kid.The Chronicles of Narnia by C.S. Lewis
and Series of unfortunate events by Lemony Snicket were good reads as well.Also the occasional Secret Seven and Nancy Drew~_~

KatyRet
07-10-2016, 07:58 AM
J.K. Rowling's Harry Potter