PDA

View Full Version : Need Ideas On Background

MuZ0NaZ
07-02-2004, 06:29 PM
yeah, it's still a work in progress, and the unfinished extraction is just for reference(still lots of work to do, as you see), but i just can't think of anything to make the left side not so empty...any comments/ideas would be appericated

edit: made water more realistic - looks at least like a river (yet still needs fixing)
grass looks likes grass :) *needs to sleep*

escaflownemoon
07-03-2004, 06:29 PM
Some minor prespectives. Your grass should be blowing in the other direction because her hair is. The sky can be bluer or the river be lighter because the water's colour is the reflection of the sky. Nice looking rocks though. You have a nice bg but you just gotta put the image in the right place. She looks odd standing behind the rocks. I don't think you need the flower bush behind the tree but you can have some flowers around the rocks though..in between the cracks anyways.

gadgetgirl16
07-04-2004, 12:31 AM
it looks pretty good, and u need to eddit the edges her....

MuZ0NaZ
07-04-2004, 10:20 AM
i know, it was just for reference... still lotsa work to do, extraction is a pain in the ***, bg needs to be redone & cleaned up... *tries to kill himself* :wacko:

edit: redid pretty much everything - should i add the bush(redone)/tree?
edit2: duh, forgot to flip it

DDR Pip
07-05-2004, 12:12 AM
It seems kinda plain with just grass stretching across. The tree/bush at least brought out some life.

WeyrDragon
07-05-2004, 01:48 AM
better yes, but in my opinion, there is way to much contrast between the animation of the bg and the character itself.

escaflownemoon
07-05-2004, 10:03 AM
:lol: did you realized when you flip the wallpaper you also flipped your name and the date backward. Let me see, it does look better than the first one. ^^ Still needs work tho..I like the river it has a nice flow to it now.

MuZ0NaZ
07-05-2004, 10:13 AM
:ph34r: :ph34r: whoops....thats what you get when you do something @ 4o'clock in the morning....
anyway, i'm just trying to get it right, and i just haven't got the patience sometimes(chobits & haibane renmei don't really make me wanna start photoshop).
at least the perspective is ok & it's not so flat

MuZ0NaZ
07-05-2004, 07:46 PM
done(but still suxs), so bash it as much as you want.

MistressPookyChan
07-05-2004, 10:50 PM
Very pretty! The far back background looks pretty plain. The trees and bush help, but there is still something missing. How about hills? clouds? birds?

akachan
07-06-2004, 07:29 AM
I feel your pain...I'm usual to natural water-grass-flowers bg...when it's qiuet and dreamy I call it "enya style" :^_^:
anyway back to the wall:the concept is beautiful, both in the first and the second one exactly I like the second but also the tree in the first, so imho use the second and put the tre in the extreme foreground.The problem is only one:it still seems a collage.. °.° but Don't Mind! it's easy to make it more realistic:try to think as a photographer(I don't know if it's the exact word... :blink: '')
you have the tree in the foreground, the girl in the middle and the rest in the bg.
when you photograph someone and u want to give a dreamy effect you make a blurred photo...so imho:
gaussin blur the tree of a 4-6 point, and gaussian the grass in the bg of a 3 point and leave the girl and the middle of the wall as it is.
you should have something like this:
background(grass near the sky) blurred
^
:
:
middle(girl,stone etc) as is it now
:
:
v
foreground(the tree) really blurred(as you see her beneath the tree)

I know I've talked very much...but I hope you could use some of my suggestion :blink: :) .oh! try to add a lens flare on the topleft!

MuZ0NaZ
07-06-2004, 08:14 AM
i love you akachan! that was always bothering me, and im a n00b photographer so didn't even think of blurring(all the photos used in the wp, except the clouds/flowers near the bottom-right rock are taken by me).
i thought of adding butterflies, but it would be too busy i suppose. maybe i'll try that later, i don't have time right now.

akachan
07-06-2004, 09:22 AM
I'm glad If I can help someone :) it was a simple suggestion but I'm happy :^_^:
anyway:the only thing I still don't love so much are the rocks and the bush:try putting only one thing at time
only the rocks/ only the flowerbush(<--maybe decrease a bit the size of it also)
good work&#33;

escaflownemoon
07-06-2004, 09:44 AM
It looks way better than the first one. It soo dreamy. I like the stars. I still think the flower bush is a little too eye catching..maybe because its the vivid colour pink/red. ;)

MuZ0NaZ
07-06-2004, 01:27 PM
:blink: removed teh lovely bush, looks way better. i wouldnt have thought of something that simple as blurring akachan :) thanks again.
i don&#39;t doubt that it looks wayyy better than the first try because it took wayyy longer to redo most of the stuff

escaflownemoon
07-06-2004, 02:49 PM
ok one last thing. I think you should get some moss covering around some of the rocks or add a couple more of the pink flowers there and I think you should get rid of that red flower on the rock, it just looks too eye catching to complement the bg or make the colour not so vivid. I do like this one. The river looks nice still I think something is wrong with it but i know its not easy to make so good job. :)

MuZ0NaZ
07-06-2004, 04:20 PM
it&#39;s still not good &#39;cause i&#39;m posting here :D
made things softer, warmed the tones, corrected some old overlooked stuff, removed the moss. i&#39;m too lazy to add something new for now...
edit2:proper moss & colours

WeyrDragon
07-06-2004, 07:51 PM
alright, i like the last one the best so far because of the blur, it made the bg seem less rendered and more like it belonged with the character, earlier it just seemed way to three dimensional to go with the character.

escaflownemoon
07-07-2004, 09:57 AM
It looks great. Well improved. The river flows nicely and everything else blend together and fits with the character. One more thing and don&#39;t hate me :) Does the rock in the middle there seems to be floating to you? I&#39;m not sure if its just me so I&#39;m asking ^^ It just seems its not well grounded to me for some reason.. maybe if you had some longer grass in the front of it might help. ;) Other than that I like it.

MuZ0NaZ
07-07-2004, 04:44 PM
fixed the grass (i suppose), added lazy-mans &#39;flowers&#39;... looking nice now, pretty much finished i think, unless i won&#39;t be lazy to draw some real flowers :D

akachan
07-08-2004, 03:35 AM
muuuuuch better&#33; :D
(oh, I&#39;m not a cow, anyway... :blink: :lol: )
back to the wall: the last one is the bestest ^^ .
now, was there&#39;s still something to fix..:maybe those two squares rocks on the left are too "squared" ..try to remove them or just move all the rocks to the left till you don&#39;t see them anymore and in this way there are less rocks(Imho it&#39;s better ;) ) .I can&#39;t see the glass-reflection on the river :blink: make it as in the second wall.a question: why on a bank there are only purple flower and on the other one only yellow flowers? :blink: :^_^: mix them or make them all purple(it fits more with the colors of the girl). good work&#33;&#33;&#33; :D

escaflownemoon
07-08-2004, 09:50 AM
omg beautiful wallpaper. I think we pick this apart well ^^ and reconstructed like a master piece. You made a lovely bg. I agree also that the two rocks in behind are too squared :lol: but hey I think it looks good. I love the grass..it makes me wanna go play in it or munch on it :lol: no no..True why is it all yellow flowers on one side and all purple on the other side of the river? I think all yellow would look nice.. like buttercups. ^^

MuZ0NaZ
07-08-2004, 11:14 AM
hehe, i just wanted to find out which color works better :) i liked them both...it&#39;s too hard to choose one and it is better to show than to ask - caught your attention, didn&#39;t it?:D mixing them looks kinda weird though :(
well, it&#39;s WAY different now from the initial &#39;sketch&#39; i had in my head before - it would suck if you didnt help me :)
*runs away to punish himself for not painting grass under the rocks*

escaflownemoon
07-08-2004, 02:48 PM
I didn&#39;t really do much. I just suggested mostly; too bad I can&#39;t do that on my own wallpapers. :) The skills and the work is you that put the most effort in to polishing it. :^_^: :D Great job.

MuZ0NaZ
07-08-2004, 03:29 PM
but your and akachans suggestions were damn good&#33; i just can&#39;t realize some stuff by myself and i am still new @ making wp&#39;s, though i want to learn more about photoshop&graphics :rolleyes:

made the final touching up, there *shouldn&#39;t* be anything horribly wrong now :^_^: (oh well...i just think so :<_<: )
edit: i was wrong...again... and the shadows may still need some work :wacko:

escaflownemoon
07-09-2004, 06:57 PM
I still think keep the two square rocks there but make it not so squared hehe. It just seems plain without it to me. ^^ The second last shadow was best, right now the middle rocks seems too molded into the grass or vice versa.

Raven
07-13-2004, 02:13 AM
I&#39;ve been watching the progress, and wow, that wp looks great. a few minor things though: (yes, I am painfully nit-picky) her wisps of hair still have a blue edge on it.
somethings been bothering me about the rocks, they look great, but very rendered looking. maybe add some cross texture to it or something.
and lastly is she behind the tree? there are leaves that go over her hat, but not over her, i understand you wouldnt want her face interfered with, but it looks alittle too.. convenient. did that make sense? well, i know what i meant. ^_^

but other than those, i really like it a lot, good job.

Xian Pu
07-13-2004, 02:27 AM
No kidding. I&#39;ve been watching this progress from blah, to ehhh, to mediocre to, wow&#33; Getting so much better. Keep it up man, keep it up. :D

akachan
07-13-2004, 02:57 AM
I&#39;m back&#33;
even if for some days, till the 19th, you won&#39;t see me cause I&#39;ve got 2 exams..horrible summer till now
anyway MuZ0NaZ I&#39;m glad that mine and escaflownemoon suggestion helped you :) I&#39;m not so waller-skilled, but it&#39;s like drawing:when you make a sketch everyday you won&#39;t became Leonardo Da Vinci but unless Piero Della Francesca( :rolleyes: beautiful colors and perspection)...
There was a lot of potential in your wall, and also in you :lol:
Now last things to fix:the shadow of the rockson the grass:if u want to make it realistic, don&#39;t make a shadow on the grass, but a grass shadowed(I Mean, make a darker grass on the bottom of the rocks, then add grass of the same color so there isn&#39;t a sharp border between darker and normal grass)enough clear? :^_^: I agree with Raven about the rocks, but move them to the left, because there&#39;s a blanck space in the left ;)
Good work

MuZ0NaZ
07-13-2004, 05:06 PM
that should be better, though i haven&#39;t added the rocks(too damn lazy right now; unless it will still rain tomorrow). only those two, which were square, should be moved more to the left? and the blue-ish hair will still remain, unless someone finds a better way to extract them from this scan (http://gallery.minitokyo.net/view/8637/). or i&#39;ll have to change the colours myself some other time :unsure:

escaflownemoon
07-14-2004, 09:57 AM
You still didn&#39;t fix the shadows around the rocks...that&#39;s my only problem hehe.

akachan
07-15-2004, 03:28 AM
*agrees with escaflownemoon*
about the rocks:only move all of them to the left, till there&#39;s no empty space on the left ;)

MuZ0NaZ
07-15-2004, 06:16 PM
moved the &#036;%*#@^&#036; rocks

wizz-o-matic
07-15-2004, 07:09 PM
Nice, the last one is the best :^_^:

Xian Pu
07-15-2004, 07:15 PM
Dunno, the rocks feel a little too blurred IMO, that and she&#39;s hiding behind the tree, why not put her in front of it? Otherwise-- yeah this is teh bezt one yet. :blink:

MistressPookyChan
07-15-2004, 07:28 PM
my major issue with the wallpaper is the extraction; there are blue parts around the edge of the character. one idea to fix it is to:

make a new layer and put it right abover the character&#39;s layer
use paintbrush/pencil in black and paint over where the blue outlines are
choose that layer&#39;s setting as "color" (if you&#39;re on photoshop)
viola&#39;, the blue outlines are now grey and don&#39;t stand out nearly as much

This technique is also used by those that want to recolor a character. Ever wonder what pikachu would look like as a lovely shade of blue? What Chii&#39;s hair would look like red? ;)

Xian Pu
07-15-2004, 07:48 PM
Originally posted by [email protected] 15 2004, 06:28 PM
my major issue with the wallpaper is the extraction; there are blue parts around the edge of the character. one idea to fix it is to:

make a new layer and put it right abover the character&#39;s layer
use paintbrush/pencil in black and paint over where the blue outlines are
choose that layer&#39;s setting as "color" (if you&#39;re on photoshop)
viola&#39;, the blue outlines are now grey and don&#39;t stand out nearly as much

This technique is also used by those that want to recolor a character. Ever wonder what pikachu would look like as a lovely shade of blue? What Chii&#39;s hair would look like red? ;)
Nope, sorry... the thought never crossed my mind... though Chii wearing a plug suit and.... :drool: Heh, yeah... Red hair Chii... Mmmm....

*cough*

What?&#33;

escaflownemoon
07-16-2004, 10:06 AM
:lol: Chii with red hair nope never imagine that. About the wallpaper yea I totally didn&#39;t see the blue on her hair in the last couple of wallpaper but I didn&#39;t see it in the recent one. One thing from me again is the rock on the far left has flowers smudge on it coming out of the rock so it just look a bit funny. Its alright though if you don&#39;t want to fix it. Just the hair seems to be the major problem now. :) Good job&#33;

MuZ0NaZ
07-16-2004, 10:24 AM
thanks pookie, never thought of using color blending mode to recolor something :) hue/saturation adjustment layers can be a pain sometimes.
edited: fixed one stupid rock :^_^:

Xian Pu
07-16-2004, 12:43 PM
*thumbs up* Bestest yet. ^_^

escaflownemoon
07-16-2004, 03:04 PM
thank you..the rock looks purty :) I mean the whole wallpaper. hehe

MistressPookyChan
07-16-2004, 09:55 PM
im very impressed. it looks really cool

gadgetgirl16
07-16-2004, 10:20 PM
wow....it looks better....good job on it ^^

wizz-o-matic
07-17-2004, 06:36 AM
Agree with others :^_^:

MuZ0NaZ
07-17-2004, 01:44 PM
i guess it&#39;s finished now :) thanks a lot for all the comments, suggestions & patience :)