PDA

View Full Version : High School Students Lose Fingers in Tug-o-War Accident

Tarkenfire
02-06-2013, 06:57 PM
http://www.thepostgame.com/blog/dish/201302/teens-lose-fingers-game-tug-war

Yeah. I was programming and watching anime during my school's spirit week, which may have been a good choice, I guess.

Also, yeah, I know, just reposting a news story is a bit meh...but this one just got to me.

nrL
02-06-2013, 07:13 PM
btw, tug-of-war is a stupid name

Albear
02-06-2013, 09:49 PM
Wow. And Ouch.

This is rare and perfectly timed.. unfortunately.
I've seen many accidents on tv and real life that seem worse to someone's fingers, but without this kind of damage.

darkrider21
02-07-2013, 10:27 PM
Poor students

CrimsonMoon
02-08-2013, 01:31 AM
That's nasty, ouch. :s

Miss Moonlight
02-08-2013, 10:35 AM
Wow. Well, it would have been a great idea to wear thick gloves, yea?

Although thinking about it, since they wrapped the cords around their fingers/hands that probably wouldn't have made a difference ...

Tarkenfire
02-08-2013, 10:42 AM
Wow. Well, it would have been a great idea to wear thick gloves, yea?

Although thinking about it, since they wrapped the cords around their fingers/hands that probably wouldn't have made a difference ...

Well, generally speaking, most Tug-o-war rules prohibit wrapping the rope, because there is a world championship, for the dual purpose of preventing injury and to have a contest of open-palm grabbing strength rather than whom can entwine themselves the best in rope.

...the "entwining in rope" contest is held at the BDSM convention in New Jersey, after all.

Cantelope
02-08-2013, 11:44 AM
I enjoyed the comments more than the article. "Now they will ban tug-of-war along with peanuts and anything that denotes violence. What's ironic is that, as kids, in the 40's and 50's we survived all of this PC, allergy, and environmental B.S."

Old people make me laugh.

Tarkenfire
02-08-2013, 01:19 PM
I enjoyed the comments more than the article. "Now they will ban tug-of-war along with peanuts and anything that denotes violence. What's ironic is that, as kids, in the 40's and 50's we survived all of this PC, allergy, and environmental B.S."

Old people make me laugh.

It's a yahoo-based blog, so many of these "old people" are actually middle aged people who barely remember the 80's, much less the 50's, making their pointless political statements because if they yell loud enough that their foolish delusion of a halcyon age of yore that exists only on celluloid.

...I'm a bit of a cynic.

Ranshiin
02-08-2013, 02:09 PM
It's a yahoo-based blog, so many of these "old people" are actually middle aged people who barely remember the 80's, much less the 50's, making their pointless political statements because if they yell loud enough that their foolish delusion of a halcyon age of yore that exists only on celluloid.

...I'm a bit of a cynic.
They're like that on every article, too.

And when there's nothing within the article for them to complain about, they instead just complain about Yahoo 'once again reporting about nothing'.

Granted, sometimes the comments are hilarious. A bit like Cracked. Anyways, on this subject I probably would agree with the whole 'omg now helf n saefty will ban tug-a-wor n all skool recreashun activetiez ppl shud man up 40 yrs ago u just suckd it up n got on wit it' thing that I daresay the comments are spewing. (I haven't read the comments but I knew of the story before it was posted here so I can second-guess most of the responses).

... To be fair, compared to even like 10-20 years ago society has gotten a bit soft. Was never anything wrong with getting your backside smacked for misbehaving; taught me right from wrong. Now you do it these days and the kids can sue you for domestic assault. Pathetic. /grumpy_old_man

nrL
02-08-2013, 02:58 PM
They're like that on every article, too.

And when there's nothing within the article for them to complain about, they instead just complain about Yahoo 'once again reporting about nothing'.

Granted, sometimes the comments are hilarious. A bit like Cracked. Anyways, on this subject I probably would agree with the whole 'omg now helf n saefty will ban tug-a-wor n all skool recreashun activetiez ppl shud man up 40 yrs ago u just suckd it up n got on wit it' thing that I daresay the comments are spewing. (I haven't read the comments but I knew of the story before it was posted here so I can second-guess most of the responses).

... To be fair, compared to even like 10-20 years ago society has gotten a bit soft. Was never anything wrong with getting your backside smacked for misbehaving; taught me right from wrong. Now you do it these days and the kids can sue you for domestic assault. Pathetic. /grumpy_old_man

So..do you agree that they should ban tug-of-war?

Tragic~Romance
02-09-2013, 02:06 AM
Hmm, it would be difficult to lead a life with no fingers... Aside from being unable to eat and drink normally and grasp objects, I would be devestated to not be able to write or draw, or play music =x

nrL
02-09-2013, 06:02 AM
Hmm, it would be difficult to lead a life with no fingers... Aside from being unable to eat and drink normally and grasp objects, I would be devestated to not be able to write or draw, or play music =x

look at the bright side
masturbation would be hilarious!

Kaleohano
02-09-2013, 07:20 AM
synthetic line snapback! look it up. that what we call it in the Navy.

Ranshiin
02-09-2013, 11:56 AM
So..do you agree that they should ban tug-of-war?
No.

I was agreeing with the general consensus that modern society is too soft on the younger generation and those who repeatedly cause trouble. Hence my whole comparison on what I deem 'appropriate parental punishment' in today's society, and what it was like when I was a kid.

I mean sure, I HATED getting smacked. They still had those huge rulers when I first started school, too (the kind that the teacher hit your hands with if you misbehaved). I learned pretty quickly as a result that being bad = painful.

These days? Nothing. Not allowed to physically punish your children. Ground them from using their xbox? Sure. they'll just go to someone else's house and play on theirs, or just end up out late at night causing trouble. Ground them in their bedrooms with no console access? Phones. Ground them from their phones? They just end up shouting and swearing and using physical violence. And they get away with it because they're kids.

I'm derailing from the original topic. I was never a big fan of tug-of-war anyway (although back when I was a kid I -was- fairly decent at it - and yes, we were told the whole 'don't wrap it around your fingers' thing. Teams got disqualified for holding it that way so meh).

nrL
02-09-2013, 11:59 AM
No.

k.

tl;dr'd the rest