PDA

View Full Version : Artemis Fowl

Kleio
01-22-2013, 10:10 AM
Has anyone else read this series? It's about a criminal boy genius who pretty much steals fairy magic. I'm rereading the series because I remember liking it as a kid. Who doesn't love child prodigies who are criminal masterminds? So far I'm not sure if I still like it. I don't like how it's written, I don't like how it sounds aloud, and I can't say I'm too terribly wild about the characters. I can't explain this new dislike for the series, but I'm going to reread the whole thing. Maybe I'm just in a bad mood today.

What are your thoughts on this series?

Kaleohano
01-22-2013, 10:18 AM
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-z9D2ojLQDn0/T2DGJ8PTetI/AAAAAAAAAUI/o4WLKrpEtRM/s1600/I+approve.jpg

You have gained a portion of my respect. You should be very proud of yourself.

I loved these books. The characters were all interesting and the way the story wove around and the way Artemis always did what he did was just awesome! haha

Kleio
01-22-2013, 03:31 PM
I think my problem with the book is that is written for kids. It has a sort of matter-of-fact tone to it. I'm so used to reading 400+ page novels about rape, murder. pillaging, plundering, and the supernatural that I can't get back into the swing of children's books. The more I look at it from a child's POV the more I can tolerate the book.

Bulf
01-22-2013, 03:37 PM
I actually really liked the series. Refused to drop it and finally finished the last book a month or so ago. I'm not happy with the ending, but still a pretty solid series.

Although ftr, a book on rape doesn't sound very enjoyable.

Kleio
01-22-2013, 04:09 PM
I've not read a book specifically about rape, but sometimes it's included in the stories. For instance Kiss The Girls, Jewels of the Elvish, and a few other novels. I'm pretty sure Anne Rice's Sleeping Beauty trilogy has copious amounts of rape in it, but I have yet to read it. I'm still holding judgement on Artemis Fowl until I finish it.

(_YvOnSo_)
01-24-2013, 02:02 PM
Much enjoyed the series. If I had the money I would buy the entire series, just so I can read the entire series over again. Didn't enjoy the Atlantis Complex book though, probably because Artemis wasn't himself, so it was less enjoyable, and less scheming than the books before. But that's my opinion.

CrimsonMoon
01-26-2013, 03:55 AM
I like this series very much. I've read it since I was a kid. I read other sci-fi books, but this is by far the best I've ever read. Right now, I'm thinking of buying the latest one, since I haven't read it yet. Artemis Fowl and The Last Guardian, I think.

Kronicula
09-26-2013, 01:08 PM
At first when I started reading it I wasn't that much impressed, but the farther I read the more this series got me.

Tenrou Nogitsune
10-21-2013, 06:35 AM
Honestly, the last book was absolutely terrible. Eoine Colfer didn't really write a good setting/theme for 'Atlantis Complex'. The one he wrote about the demons was a lot better.