PDA

View Full Version : Nintendo Power is coming to an end.

MegaAnimeFan
10-15-2012, 09:00 PM
I just got a notice in my latest Nintendo Power mag. This December, the last issue EVER of Nintendo power will be released. I guess the recession is hurting the big N finally eh? So now they have to get all cheap and cut off production of their game magazine?

demonix
10-16-2012, 03:23 PM
But Nintendo doesn't publish that magazine, and it was their decision not to renew the licensing agreement with future US (and it looks like from one article that nintendo wasn't that interested in renewing the contract and were being referred as being difficult to work with).

I wonder what this would mean for the UK's official nintendo magazine which is also published by future publishing.

.:neuko:.
10-16-2012, 09:01 PM
The recession affects the entire video games industry, and there's no reason for Nintendo to be immune from its ill effects just because it's the world's largest gaming company. But as demonix pointed out, Nintendo does not publish Nintendo Power; it used to, but contracted the publishing role to Future US as of issue #222; therefore, it was Future US's decision to stop publishing Nintendo Power, not Nintendo's. However Nintendo did announce that it would not be redirecting the magazine to another publisher (so as to continue its life), and there seems to be no confirmation that Nintendo will take up publishing the magazine internally as it did once before.

The end of NP is more likely a reflection of the struggling US magazine industry, not so much the video games industry--and quite probably, sibling gaming magazines from the same publisher (and others likely) will follow suit. As times have become harder, magazine publishers have had to come up with more innovative, cost-saving, and instant ways of publishing information since the number of magazine subscribers have fallen; not all that surprising considering that more up-to-date and free information can be found on the internet. Therefore, the Magazine industry has had to adapt (and is doing so) to a shifting trend towards instant (i.e. online) information; the recession has not helped, granted, since people will also be looking to save money, so luxuries (such as magazine subscriptions) will likely be the first targets for cut-backs--but the end of Nintendo Power is probably more due to the former than the latter.

It's interesting that Nintendo seem reluctant to continue NP internally though; but knowing the big N, they've always got something up their sleeves, and I wouldn't mind betting that future Nintendo gaming information will be made accessible through other means (perhaps through that built-in virtual themepark/lobby (or whatever its called...) featured with the forthcoming Wii-U). So I'm not worried about the future of Nintendo regarding the loss of NP; for I doubt that this would have a significant impact on Nintendo; if anything, only magazine collectors. As far as gaming's concerned, Nintendo's the first video games company I'd expect to rise to new challenges and the last to cop out (like other publishers I could mention would and do, but I won't because the list would be silly...) when the going gets tough.

PinkGalaxies
10-16-2012, 11:56 PM
Neukifly

"The end of NP is more likely a reflection of the struggling US magazine industry, not so much the video games industry"

It's definitely that. Even Wal-Mart has cut production of stuff. Like now they no longer give pay stubs, and if the workers want a copy, they have to print it out with their own ink and stuff.

Btw, I'm at an expo right now, and I can say there's not much new cool stuff coming from Nintendo. The best game from them so far, in my opinion, is Sticker Star. It's the only game from them right now that has actually got me wanting to play it more after demos and stuff.

Nintendo's "status" has dwindled in the past few months though. Sony actually topped them for a little bit with sells and things. So Nintendo is hurting just like anyone else, but they have nothing to do with the magazine. Now if a company like Game Informer stopped with their mags, then you could say something was wrong. Lol.

Kaleohano
10-17-2012, 12:07 AM
Nintendo shall crumble!

bahahahah!

PinkGalaxies
10-17-2012, 12:13 AM
Nintendo shall crumble!

bahahahah!

Nah. There are too many whiney, spoiled kids for that.

Kaleohano
10-17-2012, 12:42 AM

in that case, we must dispose of all the kids!

10-17-2012, 12:53 AM
Nintendo shall crumble!

bahahahah!

Not before Sony and Microsoft! =P

Yeah, and many of which are Pokemon fans, I bet; so, can't see Nintendo going under unless someone personally goes out of their way to kill them off. Oh wait... I think I'm just giving Kaleohano ideas now...

PinkGalaxies
10-17-2012, 12:58 AM
in that case, we must dispose of all the kids!

Yeah, and many of which are Pokemon fans, I bet; so, can't see Nintendo going under unless someone personally goes out of their way to kill them off. Oh wait... I think I'm just giving Kaleohano ideas now...

Great thinking. I'm sure Kale won't mind us using his 'ol van.

MegaAnimeFan
10-17-2012, 01:01 AM
Maybe they'll continue it online at Nintendo.com or NintendoPower.com, thus converting to electronic format rather than paper format. My bank did the same thing. They started charging fees for paper "bank statement" mailings, so I had to switch to "paperless" online banking to get my bank statements without that extra fee. I guess even banks are starting to hurt in this economy, and they seem to also see the internet as a way to save money.

PinkGalaxies
10-17-2012, 01:03 AM
Maybe they'll continue it online at Nintendo.com or NintendoPower.com, thus converting to electronic format rather than paper format. My bank did the same thing. They started charging fees for paper "bank statement" mailings, so I had to switch to "paperless" online banking to get my bank statements without that extra fee. I guess even banks are starting to hurt in this economy, and they seem to also see the internet as a way to save money.

Banks print the money. They're not hurting. They're just the definition of greed.

Kaleohano
10-17-2012, 01:51 AM

the way things are looking, Nintendo will be the first to go. And continuing RROD's with the 360s will make them next. leaving only the grandeur of the sony PS3.

---------- Post added at 11:51 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:50 PM ----------

Great thinking. I'm sure Kale won't mind us using his 'ol van.

my van?
The rape van belongs to MegaAnimeFan, not me. I drive Miss Leah Lude using extreme bass to turn peoples vital organs into liquid s**t :P

PinkGalaxies
10-17-2012, 01:53 AM
the way things are looking, Nintendo will be the first to go. And continuing RROD's with the 360s will make them next. leaving only the grandeur of the sony PS3.

---------- Post added at 11:51 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:50 PM ----------

my van?
The rape van belongs to MegaAnimeFan, not me. I drive Miss Leah Lude using extreme bass to turn peoples vital organs into liquid s**t :P

I feel bad that I laughed. Shame on you. >.>'

Kaleohano
10-17-2012, 02:01 AM
I feel bad that I laughed. Shame on you. >.>'

bwaahahahahaaahaahaaaaa!
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_9ddYpOXc4Is/SYkb-ydDzOI/AAAAAAAAAwU/WfHGApqJ8O4/s400/evil+laugh

you will give in to your darkness soon enough heh heh heh....

10-17-2012, 03:58 AM

Lol! Even if that should happen, there's no way I'll be defecting to The Empire Sony for gaming. =P And as capable as the PS3 might be, I still think it's an over-hyped console that game publishers are only really interested in because of the profitable success of its predecessor (and then only because of the profitable success of the predecessor behind that (Sony PlayStation) which ironically was originally intended to be a Nintendo console); it's certainly not because of its hardware, which is difficult and costly to work with for many game developers--not that the PS2's is much easier. Then there's the fact that most PS3 games are actually 720p (not much of a leap over SD imo) rather than 1080p; perhaps not a big deal to most, but as far as I'm concerned, an insult to a high-end, 1080p plasma panel sitting in my house. Also, I really got stung when I saw the technical difference between Collin MacRae on my bro's gaming PC and then the "equivalent" on the PS3; that was the deal-breaker for me. Sure, I wasn't expecting the latter to be superior, but it wasn't even close: blurry textures, slowdown on top of an already cut down framerate, clunky features etc.. And then there's the general standard of the software, many of which under-utilise the PS3's graphics potential since many are lousy Xbox 360 ports; the Sony-published games for the most part are nothing to shout about either, especially the title's based on that ugly, boggly-eyed mascot, Crash Bandicoot. That said, if I had a helpless craving for half-baked, glitchy, casual games based on sports and movie licences, then for sure I'd put the PS3 at the top of my Christmas list.

I saw the photo of the sound system in your car btw--looks awesome! I like my sound too, although I'm more of an audiophile-headphones person. But anyway, wouldn't it suck to have such a sound system and yet no material to do it justice? That's how I feel with the current gen of half-baked consoles... although, at least with Nintendo and the Wii I don't get the sense that it's pretending to be something its not.

Kaleohano
10-17-2012, 11:15 AM
Lol! Even if that should happen, there's no way I'll be defecting to The Empire Sony for gaming. =P And as capable as the PS3 might be, I still think it's an over-hyped console that game publishers are only really interested in because of the profitable success of its predecessor (and then only because of the profitable success of the predecessor behind that (Sony PlayStation) which ironically was originally intended to be a Nintendo console); it's certainly not because of its hardware, which is difficult and costly to work with for many game developers--not that the PS2's is much easier. Then there's the fact that most PS3 games are actually 720p (not much of a leap over SD imo) rather than 1080p; perhaps not a big deal to most, but as far as I'm concerned, an insult to a high-end, 1080p plasma panel sitting in my house. Also, I really got stung when I saw the technical difference between Collin MacRae on my bro's gaming PC and then the "equivalent" on the PS3; that was the deal-breaker for me. Sure, I wasn't expecting the latter to be superior, but it wasn't even close: blurry textures, slowdown on top of an already cut down framerate, clunky features etc.. And then there's the general standard of the software, many of which under-utilise the PS3's graphics potential since many are lousy Xbox 360 ports; the Sony-published games for the most part are nothing to shout about either, especially the title's based on that ugly, boggly-eyed mascot, Crash Bandicoot. That said, if I had a helpless craving for half-baked, glitchy, casual games based on sports and movie licences, then for sure I'd put the PS3 at the top of my Christmas list.

I saw the photo of the sound system in your car btw--looks awesome! I like my sound too, although I'm more of an audiophile-headphones person. But anyway, wouldn't it suck to have such a sound system and yet no material to do it justice? That's how I feel with the current gen of half-baked consoles... although, at least with Nintendo and the Wii I don't get the sense that it's pretending to be something its not.

Most games on PS3 being 720 and not 1080 is simply false. Every large game developer that makes something for the PS3 does it in 1080. and before you start ragging on developers not properly utilizing the PS3's capabilities, come to my place and play Gran Turismo 5 or Killzone 3 or God of War 3 on my 55" 240hz 3D TV. Once we reattach your jaw, we'll continue that conversation.

But thank you, i'm glad you like the system lol :)
the Wii is nice and honest about being a total pile of S**t. At least the 360 is trying to be something. The PS3 is the only one who has the potential to actually go further. Its capabilities aren't yet fully unlocked and they're already doing crazy s**t with it. Wii and 360 are pretty dated already.

10-17-2012, 05:12 PM
Most games on PS3 being 720 and not 1080 is simply false. Every large game developer that makes something for the PS3 does it in 1080. and before you start ragging on developers not properly utilizing the PS3's capabilities, come to my place and play Gran Turismo 5 or Killzone 3 or God of War 3 on my 55" 240hz 3D TV. Once we reattach your jaw, we'll continue that conversation.

But thank you, i'm glad you like the system lol :)
the Wii is nice and honest about being a total pile of S**t. At least the 360 is trying to be something. The PS3 is the only one who has the potential to actually go further. Its capabilities aren't yet fully unlocked and they're already doing crazy s**t with it. Wii and 360 are pretty dated already.

If I didn't know better (and I don't), I'd say that you rely too much on game box info for game resolutions, or otherwise, sources quoted by game publishers themselves--and of course, many would be reluctant to state the true native resolutions of their games (and quite probably because they are far less than full HD (and in some cases, slightly even less than 720p)).

Console manufacturers such as Sony and Microsoft ultimately decide which output resolutions are displayed on game boxes and on much media linked to advertising; however, there's no legal requirement for either of them to specify the native (i.e. meaningful) resolutions of the games themselves. This lack of standardisation opens up an exploit through which both manufacturers can legally (and do) get away with quoting meaningless and misleading game resolutions; and misleading they are, because--while it's true that each console is capable of outputting HD video signals, it's game developers who ultimately decide the native resolutions for their created games; that is, the actual resolutions to be rendered from the GPUs in those consoles. Like the Xbox, the PS3 includes a scaler (referred to as "Pure Video" which resides in its GPU and deals with rescaling pre-rendered native-resolution images to HD (as well as SD) -standard resolutions (much like a HDTV does for SD TV signals)) which can upscale a lower native resolution to that which is compatible with a target display device. Scalers do not handle resolution in the same way as renderers in GPUs; the former basically interpolates native pixels to a resolution that can be accepted by the recieving display device (i.e. the image is merely stretched in a 2D fashion, hence no real increase in definition); the latter renders actual pixels (typically based on 3D geometry as opposed to pre-rendered 2D images) and determines the maximum definition potential of in-game graphics (I say "potential" because a scaler can also downscale as well as upscale native resolutions, resulting in a lower output resolution). Scalers can do certain things to increase image quality (or rather, minimise otherwise noticeable pixellation) but ultimately can not create detail that's absent begin with.

Also, just to prove to you that my argument is not baseless, I extracted a list of PS3 games along with their native resolutions (crossing length and breath of the Internet in order to do so) [See Spoiler]. Sadly, the list doesn't include all PS3 games released to date; however, it does cover many of the best PS3 titles, and more relevantly, the games which you implied as so great that my jaw would detach from my face--and btw, none of those are truly full HD either, which just goes to reinforce the suspicion that either the PS3 hardware is not all that powerful, or still (and after some 6 years) has yet to be pushed; either way, it feels like I'm being ripped off by Sony. Also, this (http://www.mcvuk.com/news/read/new-super-mario-bros-u-will-run-in-native-1080p/0104355) more recent link would imply that even to this day, only a handful of PS3 games natively output to full HD while the majority do not; same with Xbox 360. As for the existing list I extracted, here (http://forum.beyond3d.com/showthread.php?t=46241)'s the link to the source in which you'll also find a list of PS3 (along with Xbox 360) hardware features, a number of which are exploited by game developers to create illusions of full HD graphics (and higher framerates), many of which I didn't know existed.

Bottom line: As far as game developers are concerned, skimping on native resolution is the easiest way to ensure consistency with games targeted at hardware-limited/developer-unfriendly consoles; especially when it comes to FX-hungry games like God of War 3 or games designed to run at 60fps such as GT5 (Yeah, I've seen them, and although they looked great by PS3 standards, my jaw remained intact, I assure you). I can also confirm through my bro's PS3 that GT5 is not consistently full HD; the resolution for the most part is horizontally much less (only the menus and car gallery are natively output to full HD), also, it can only support 720p in 3D mode (although the latter is something I can live with...), and then there's frequent framerate dips whenever the player goes to in-car view (most dissapointing considering that this option gives the most realistic view and feel of racing). For a game given such hype, public anticipation, and piss-taking development times, it's unacceptable.

Unfortunately, native resolutions with consoles like PS3 and Xbox 360 cannot be flushed out without the use of certain monitors (one's that allow 1:1 pixel mapping for example) and methods that can get around the output resolutions of scalers. You could therefore dispute the validlity of my sources, but claims of full HD games from console manufacturers are just as (if not more) questionable, and then vague at best. In any case, I'd be interested to see which sources you can drag up elsewhere to counter mine--in fact, I welcome it.

Also, I'd be more than happy to come over to your place, but really only because I'm more interested in hearing that sound system! (and perhaps because I'd like to compare the specs of my TV to yours...) XD

50 Cent = 1280x720 (blur filter)
Afro Samurai = 1280x720 (QAA)
Alice: Madness Returns = 1280x720 (MLAA)
Aliens Vs Predator = 1120x630 (custom AA)
Alone in the Dark = 1120x630 (no AA)
Army of Two = 1280x720 (no AA)
Assassin's Creed = 1280x720 (QAA)
Assassin's Creed 2 = 1280x720 (QAA), 960x720 (QAA) -> 1080 mode.
Assassin's Creed 2: Bromance = 1280x720 (QAA)
Avatar = 1280x692 (QAA, black borders)
Azura's Wrath = 1280x720 (no AA)
Backbreaker = 1152x640 (2xAA + blur filter)
Batman: Arkham Asylum = 1280x720 (no AA)
Batman: Arkham City = 1280x720 (no AA)
Battle Fantasia = 1280x720 (no AA, toggable blur filter)
Battlefield 3 = 1280x704 (MLAA) black bars
Battlefield: Bad Company = 1280x720 (no AA)
Battlefield: Bad Company 2 = 1280x720 (no AA)
Bayonetta = 1280x720 (no AA)
Beijing 2008 = 1024x768 (no AA)
Beowulf = 1280x720 (no AA)
Bionic Commando = 1120x640 (no AA)
Bioshock = 680p (no AA, blur filter pre-patch)
Bioshock 2 = 1280x720 (no AA)
Bioshock Infinite =
Binary Domain =
Blacksite: Area 51 = 1280x720 (no AA)
BlazBlue: Calamity Trigger = 1280x720 (QAA background, no AA characters )
Blur = 1280x720 (2xAA + half-pixel, bilinear-filtered edge blur)
Bodycount = 1024x640 (FXAA?)
Borderlands = 1280x720 (no AA)
Borderlands 2 = 1280x720 (no AA)
Bourne Conspiracy, The (demo) = 1280x720 (no AA)
Brink = 1280x720 (no AA)
Brutal Legend = 1152x720 (no AA)
Bulletstorm = 1280x720 (no AA)
Burnout: Paradise = 1280x720 (2xAA)
Call of Duty 3 (screenshot) ~1088x624 (2xAA)
Call of Duty: Black Ops = 960x544 (2xAA)
Call of Duty: Modern Warfare = 1024x600 (2xAA)
Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 = 1024x600 (2xAA)
Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 = 1024x600 (2xAA)
Call of Duty: World at War = 1024x600 (2x AA)
Call of Juarez: Bound in Blood = 1152x640 (4x2 custom edge AA)
Call of Juarez: The Cartel = 1280x720 (custom edge AA)
Cars Mater-National = 1280x720 (QAA), 1920x1080 (QAA)
Castlevania: Lord of Shadow = 1280x720 (no AA)
Catherine = 1280x720 (QAA)
Chronicles of Riddick: Dark Athena = 1024x720 (QAA)
Command & Conquer: Red Alert 3 = 1280x720 (no AA)
Conan (demo) = 1024x576 (no AA)
Condemned 2 = 1280x720 (no AA)
Conflict: Denied Ops = 1280x720 (no AA) or 960x1080
Crysis = 1024x720 (TAA + edge post-process)
Crysis 2 = 1024x720 (TAA + edge post-process))
Dante's Inferno = 1280x720 (no AA)
Dark Sector = 1152x640 (no AA)
Darksiders = 1152x648 (no AA)
Darkness, The (demo) = 1024x576 (no AA)
Darkness II, The = 1152x600 (FXAA)
Dark Souls = 1024x720 (2xAA)
Dead Island = 1280x720 (custom edge filter)
Dead or Alive 5 = dynamic up to 1280x720 (no AA in-game)
Dead Rising 2 = 1024x576 (2xAA)
Dead Space = 1280x720 (no AA)
Dead Space 2 = 1280x720 (no AA)
Dead to Rights: Retribution = 1072x603 (2xAA) ?
de Blob 2 = 1280x720 (2xAA)
Def Jam Icon (screenshot) = 1152x648 (no AA)
Demon's Souls = 1280x720 (no AA)
Deus Ex: Human Revolution = 1280x720 (MLAA)
Devil May Cry 4 = 1280x720 (2xAA, temporal)
Dirt = 1280x720 (QAA)
Dirt 2 = 1280x720 (QAA)
Dishonoured = 1280x720 (post-AA)
Dragon Age: Origins = 1280x720 (AA ?)
Dragon Age II = 1280x720 (MLAA)
Dragon Ball: Raging Blast 2 = 1280x720 (no AA)
Dragon's Dogma = 1280x608 (black bars, FXAA)
Driver: San Fransisco = ~1120x720 (2xAA)
Duke Nukem Forever = 1152x640 (no AA)
Dynasty Warriors 6 = 1280x720 (no AA)
Dynasty Warriors 7 = 1280x720 (no AA)
EDF: Insect Armageddon = 1280x720 (QAA)
El Shaddai = 1152x576 (no AA)
Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion = 1280x720 (no AA)
Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim = 1280x720 (likely FXAA, more aggressive edge detection than 360 iteration)
End of Eternity/Resonance of Fate = 1088x720 (2xAA)
End War = 1280x720 (2xAA)
Enslaved = 1280x720 (no AA)
F.E.A.R. = 1280x720 (blur filter)?
F.E.A.R. 2 = 1280x720 (no AA)
F.E.A.R. 3 = 1280x720
F1 2010 = 1280x720 (QAA)
F1 2011 = 1280x720 (MLAA)
FaceBreaker = 1280x720 (QAA), 960x1080
Fallout 3 = 1280x720 (no AA)
Fantastic Four: Rise of the Silver Surfer = 1280x720 (no AA)
Far Cry 2 = 1274x692 (QAA, black borders)
Fifa 2008 = 1280x720 (no AA)
Fifa 2010 = 1280x720 (QAA)
Fifa 2011 = 1280x720 (QAA)
Fifa Street 3 = 1920x1080 (no AA)
Fight Night Champion Online =
Fight Night Round 4 = 1280x720 (QAA)
Final Fantasy XIII = 1280x720 (2xAA)
Full Auto 2 (demo) = 1920x1080 (4x AA)
Fracture = 1152x648 (no AA)
Ghostbusters = 960x540 (QAA, pre-patch), 1024x576 (2xAA, post-patch)
Ghost Recon: Advanced Warfighter 2 = 1280x720
Ghost Recon: Future Soldier = 1024x600 (FXAA)
G.I. Joe: The Rise of the Cobra = 1280x720 (QAA)
Godfather II = 1200x720 (blur filter)
God of War: Origins Collection = 1280x720 or 1920x1080 (no AA), 3D is 1280x720
God of War Collection Volume II = 1280x720 or1920x1080 (no AA)
God of War III = 1280x720 (MLAA)
Golden Axe: Beast Rider = 1280x720 (no AA, blur filter)
Golden Compass = 1280x720 (no AA)
Grand Theft Auto IV = 1152x640 (QAA)
Gran Turismo 5: Prologue = 1080p mode is 1280x1080 (2xAA) in-game while the garage/pit/showrooms are 1920x1080 with no AA. 720p mode is 1280x720 (4xAA)
Gran Turismo 5 = 1280x720 (4xAA), 1280x1080 (QAA, TAA selectable), 1280x720 (QAA) in 3D mode
Guitar Hero 3 = 1040x585 (no AA)
Guitar Hero Aerosmith = 1040x585 (no AA)
Guitar Hero World Tour = 1040x585 (no AA)
Guitar Hero 5 = 1024x576 (no AA)
HAWX = 1280x720 (no AA, horizontal blur)
HAWX2 = 1280x720 (2xAA, full screen blur filter)
Haze (demo) = 1024x576 (2xAA)
Heavenly Sword = 1280x720 (4xAA)
Heavy Rain = 1280x720 (2xAA)
Homefront = 1024x576 (no AA)
Ico = 1280x720 or 1920x1080 (MLAA)
IL2 Sturmovik = 1280x720 (QAA)
Infamous = 1280x720 (no AA)
Infamous 2 =
Incredible Hulk = 1280x720 (no AA), 960x1080 (no AA)
James Bond 007: Blood Stone = 1280x720 (2xAA + blur filter, half pixel, bilinear edge filter)
Jericho (demo) = 996x560 (2x AA)
Juiced 2: Hot Import Nights = 1280x720 (QAA)
Killzone 2 = 1280x720 (QAA)
Killzone 3 = 1280x720 2D, 640x716 3D, (both MLAA )
Kingdoms of Amalur = 1280x720 (no AA)
Kung Fu Panda = 1280x720 (no AA), 960x1080 (no AA)
Lair = 800x1080 (2xAA) - AA buffers are merged to produce 1600x1080 for further scaling
Legend of Spyro: Dawn of the Dragon, The = 1280x720 (no AA)
Legendary = 1280x720 (no AA)
LEGO: Batman = 1280x720 (no AA, slight blur filter)
LEGO: Harry Potter 1-4 = 1280x720 (no AA)
LEGO: Indiana Jones = 1280x720 (no AA), 960x1080 (no AA)
LEGO: Star Wars III = 1280x720 (edge detect blur filter)
Little Big Planet = 1280x720 (2xAA)
Little Big Planet 2 = 1280x720 (MLAA)
Lord of the Rings: Conquest = 640p (no AA)
Lost Planet = 1280x720 (temporal 2xAA)
Lost Planet 2 = 1280x720 (no AA)
Madden NFL '09 = 1280x720 (no AA)
Mafia 2 = 1280x720 (no AA)
MAG = 1280x720 (2xAA)
Marvel: Ultimate Alliance = 1280x720 & 1920x1080 (no AA)
Marvel: Ultimate Alliance 2 = 1024x576 (2xAA)
Marvel Vs Capcom 3 = 1280x720 (no AA)
Mass Effect 2 = 1280x720 (no AA)
Mass Effect 3 = 1280x720 (FXAA)
Mercenaries 2: World in Flames = 1280x720 (no AA)
Metal Gear Online = 1024x768 (2xAA, temporal)
Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriot = 1024x768 (2xAA, temporal)
Midnight Club: Los Angeles = 960x720 (QAA)
Mirror's Edge = 1280x720 (no AA)
MotoGP '10/'11 = 1280x704 (no AA)
Mortal Kombat 9 = 1280x720 (edge blur filter), one of the levels appears to be 680p. 1/2x1/2 transparencies, 960x720 in 3D mode
Mortal Kombat vs DC = 1040x624 (QAA)
MLB08: The Show = 1280x720 (2xAA) - The rendering window is adjustable down to 576p without upscaling to 720p i.e. the frame has black borders
MLB09: The Show = 1280x720 (2xAA) or 1920x1080 (no AA)
Motorstorm = 1280x720 (2xAA)
Motorstorm Apocalypse = 1280x1080 (dynamic) 2D, 1024x720 3D (MLAA)
Motorstorm Pacific = 1280x720 (dynamic down to 576p, 2xAA)
MX vs ATV: Alive = 1280x720 (no AA)
MX vs ATV: Reflex = 1280x720 (no AA)
MX vs ATV: Untamed = 1024x576 (no AA)
Nail'd = 1152x640 (4x2 custom edge AA)
Naruto Ninja Storm 2 = 1280x720 (no AA)
NBA07 (demo) = 1920x1080 (no AA)
NBA08 (demo) = 1920x1080 (no AA)
NBA Live '08 = 1280x720 (no AA)
NBA Street Home court (screenshot) = 1920x1080 (no AA)
Need For Speed: Hot Pursuit = 1280x720 (2xAA on cars, no AA on environment)
Need For Speed: Pro Street = 1280x720 (QAA)
Need For Speed: Shift = 1280x720 (QAA)
Need For Speed: Shift 2 =1280x720 (MLAA)
Need For Speed: The Run = 1280x704 (MLAA) black bars
Need For Speed: Undercover = 1280x720 (QAA)
NFL Tour = 1280x720 (no AA, poor framerate)
NHL '09 = 1280x720 (4xAA)
Ninja Gaiden: Sigma = 1280x720 (no AA, has weird scaling to support 1080p)
Ninja Gaiden: Sigma 2 = 1280x718 (dynamic 2xMSAA, black borders)
Ninja Gaiden 3 = dynamic up to 1280x720 (FXAA)
Operation Flashpoint 2 = 1280x720 (QAA)
Orange Box, The = 1280x720 (QAA or full screen blur...)
Overlord = 1280x720 (no AA)
Overlord II = 1280x720 (no AA)
Pirates des Caraibes (screenshot) = 768x1080 (no AA), 960x720 en mode 720p
Portal 2 = 1280x720 (MLAA)
Prince of Persia = 1280x720
Prince of Persia: The Forgotten Sands = 1280x720 (2xAA + blur? or quincunx)
Pro Evolution Soccer 2008 = 1280x720 (QAA)
Pro Evolution Soccer 2010 = 1280x720 (2xAA in-game, no AA cut-scenes)
Pro Evolution Soccer 2011 = 1280x720 (no AA)
Prototype = 1120x640 (QAA)
Quake Wars: Enemy Territory = 1280x720 (no AA)
Race Driver: GRID = 1280x720 (2xAA)
Rage = 640x720 up to 1280x720 (no AA)
Rainbow Six Vegas 2 = 1280x720 (2xAA)
Ratchet & Clank: Tools of Destruction = 960x704 (2xAA, AA samples used to reconstruct 720p)
Ratchet & Clank: A Crank in Time = 960x704 (2xAA, AA samples used to reconstruct 720p)
Red Dead Redemption = 1152x640 (QAA)
Red Faction: Armageddon = 960x540 (MLAA)
Red Faction: Guerrilla = 1280x720 (no AA)
Resident Evil 5 = 1280x720 (dynamic 0-QAA)
Resident Evil 6 = 1280x720 (Post-AA)
Resistance: Fall of Man = 1280x720 (QAA)
Resistance 2 = 1280x720 (QAA)
Resistance 3 =
Ridge Racer 7 (demo) = 1920x1080 (no AA)
Rise of the Argonauts = 1280x720 (no AA)
Risen 2: Black Waters = 1120x640 (no AA)
Rock Band = 1280x720 (2xAA, post-fx or lighting usually resulting in "no AA")
Rock Band 2 = 1280x720 (2xAA, post-fx or lighting usually resulting in "no AA")
Rock Band: The Beatles = 1280x720 (2xAA, post-fx or lighting usually resulting in "no AA")
Rock Band: Green Day = 1280x720 (2xAA, post-fx or lighting usually resulting in "no AA")
Ryu Ga Gotoku 3 = 1024x768 (no AA)
Saboteur = 1280x720 (edge detect)
Sacred 2: Fallen Angel = 1280x720 when sub-HD output selected, 1920x1080 for any HD output (no AA)
Saint's Row 2 = 640p (QAA)
Saint's Row 3 = 1280x720 (800x450 lighting)
SCORE International Baja 1000 = 1280x720 (no AA)
SEGA: All Stars Racing = 1280x720 (2xAA)
SEGA: Rally Revo = 1280x720 (4xAA, alpha blend)
SEGA: Superstars Tennis = 1280x720 (QAA, 30fps)
Shadow of the Colossus = 1280x720, 960x1080 (MLAA), 720p for 3D
Shadows of the Damned = 1280x720 (no AA, higher AF)
Silent Hill: Homecoming = 1024x576 (no AA)
Simpsons, The = 1280x720 (no AA)
Singularity = 1280x720 (no AA)
Skate = 1280x720 (no AA)
Skate 3 = possibly 1152x640 (2xAA, super blur filter makes it difficult to determine exact res)
Sleeping Dogs = 1152x640 (FXAA)
Soldier of Fortune: Payback = 1280x720 (no AA)
Sonic Unleashed = 880x720 (blur filter)
Soul Calibur IV = 1280x720 (no AA), 1280x576 in 1080p mode
Soul Calibur V = 1280x720 (MLAA)
Spec Ops: The Line = ~1120x640 (light FXAA?)
Spiderman: Web of Shadows = 1280x720 (no AA)
Spiderman: Shattered Dimensions = 1120x630 (no AA)
Split-Second = 1280x720 (2xAA)
SSX = 1120x585 (FXAA)
Star Ocean 4: The Last Hope = 1024x720 (2xAA, in field), ~930x512 (2xAA, in battle)
Star Wars: The Force Unleashed = 1280x720 (no AA)
Stormrise = 1280x720 (2xAA)
Street Fighter IV = 1280x720 (no AA), 1120x630 (in up-close character view)
Super Stars V8: Next Challenge = 1280x720 (2xAA)
Super Street Fighter IV = 1280x720 (no AA)
Supercar Challenge = 960x1080 (no AA)
Syndicate = 1280x720 (post-AA, dynamic res)
Tekken 6 = 1024x576 (2xMSAA w/o motion blur, no AA w/motion blur)
Terminator: Salvation = 1152x648 (blur filter)
Test Drive Unlimited = 1280x720 (QAA?)
Test Drive Unlimited 2 = 1280x720 (MLAA)
Tiger Woods PGA Tour '09 = 1280x720 (no AA)
Tiger Woods PGA Tour '11 = 1280x720 (no AA)
Tomb Raider: Underworld = 1280x720 (QAA)
Tony Hawk's Project 8 = 1280x720
Tony Hawk's Proving Ground (demo) = 1024x576 (no AA)
Top Spin 3 = 1280x720 (QAA)
Top Spin 4 = 1280x720 (QAA) 2D, 1024x720 (no AA) 3D
Transformers = 960x1080 (no AA)
Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen = 1120x720 (blur filter)
Transformers: War for Cybertron = 1024x600 (no AA)
Tron = 1280x720 (no AA)
Turning Point: Fall of Liberty = 1280x720 (no AA)
Turok = 1280x720 (no AA)
UEFA Euro 2008 = 1280x720 (no AA)
UFC 2009: Undisputed = 1280x720 (no AA in-game, 4xAA cutscenes)
Uncharted: Drake's Fortune = 1280x720 (2xAA)
Uncharted 2 = 1280x720 (2xAA)
Uncharted 3 = 1280x720 (edge detect) in 2D, 896x504 in 3D
Unreal Tournament III = 1280x720 (no AA)
Vanquish = 1024x720 (2xAA)
Viking: Battle for Asgard = 960x720 (2xAA) - AA buffers are merged to a 1920x720 framebuffer, which is then downscaled to 1280x720
Virtua Fighter 5 = 1024x1024 (no AA)
1024x768 en mode 1080p
Virtua Tennis 2009 = 1280x720 (QAA)
Virtua Tennis 3 = 1920x1080 (2x AA)
Virtua Tennis 4 = 1280x720 (2xAA) for 2D and 3D, 640x720 in 3D for cut-scenes
WALL E = 1280x720 (no AA)
Wanted = 1120x640 (no AA)
Warhammer 40,000: Space Marine = 1138x640 (post-AA)
Wheelman = 1280x720 (no AA)
Wolfenstein = 1280x720 (no AA)
World Series Of Poker 2008 = 1920x1080 (2xAA)
WWE 08 = ? 640x720 ? (2x AA) - les edges ont l'aparence du 1280x720 mais d'apres certain artefact il semble que ce soit le resultat de la fusion de 2 buffers MSAA 640x720
translation StefanS: "The edges give the impression of being 1280x720p, but because of a certain artifact it seems that it is the result of the fusion of 2 MSAA buffers of resolution 640x720"
WWE All-Stars = 1152x640 (no AA)
XCOM: Enemy Unknown = 1280x720 (FXAA)
X-Men Origins: Wolverine = 1280x720 (no AA)

PSN GAMES

1942: Joint Strike = 1280x720 (4xAA) or 1920x1080 (2xAA)
After Burner Climax = 1280x720 (no AA)
Battlefield 1943 = 1280x720 (no AA)
Blast Factor = 1920x1080 (no AA)
Bionic Commando: Rearmed = 1280x720 (no AA)
Calling All Cars (screenshot) = 1920x1080 (4x AA)
Commando 3 = 1280x720 (4xAA) or 1920x1080 (2xAA)
Dead Nation = 1280x720 (no AA)
Echochrome = 1920x1080 (2xAA)
Elefunk = 1920x1080 (4xAA)
Explodemon = 1280x720 (no AA)
Fat Princess = 1920x1080 (no AA)
Forbidden Siren = 1024x512 (4xAA)
Go Puzzle = 1920x1080
GTHD = 1440x1080 (no AA) - Vehicle selection is rendered at 1920x1080
Hard Corps: Uprising = 1280x720 (no AA)
High Velocity Bowling = 1920x1080 (no AA)
Lara Croft and The Guardian of Light = 1024x576 (QAA)
Locoroco Cocoreccho = 1920x1080 (2x AA)
Mainichi Issyo = 1440x1080 (4xAA)
Pixel Junk Monsters/Racers/Eden = 1920x1080
Puddle = 1280x720 (post-AA)
Red Faction: Battlegrounds = 1280x720 (QAA)
Rocketmen = 1920x1080 (2xAA)
Rub'a'dub = 1600x1080 (no AA)
Snakeball = 1280x1080 (no AA)
Stacking = 1152x720 (custom edge filter)
Stardust HD = 1280x1080 (no AA) pre-update, 1920x1080 (no AA) or 1280x720 (4xAA) post-update
Sudoku = 1920x1080
Super Rub-a-Dub = 1600x1080
Tekken 5 Dark Resurrection (screenshot) = 1920x1080 (no AA), not always?
TMNT:TiT Re-shelled = 1280x720 (no AA)
Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown = 1280x720 (FXAA)
Warhawk = 1280x720 (4xAA)
Wipeout HD = dynamic-framerate-dependent 1080p framebuffer (1280x1080 to 1920x1080)
Wolf of the Battlefield: Commando 3 = 1920x1080 (2xAA)

Kaleohano
10-17-2012, 06:24 PM
If I didn't know better (and I don't), I'd say that you rely too much on game box info for game resolutions, or otherwise, sources quoted by game publishers themselves--and of course, many would be reluctant to state the true native resolutions of their games (and quite probably because they are far less than full HD (and in some cases, slightly even less than 720p)).

Console manufacturers such as Sony and Microsoft ultimately decide which output resolutions are displayed on game boxes and on much media linked to advertising; however, there's no legal requirement for either of them to specify the native (i.e. meaningful) resolutions of the games themselves. This lack of standardisation opens up an exploit through which both manufacturers can legally (and do) get away with quoting meaningless and misleading game resolutions; and misleading they are, because--while it's true that each console is capable of outputting HD video signals, it's game developers who ultimately decide the native resolutions for their created games; that is, the actual resolutions to be rendered from the GPUs in those consoles. Like the Xbox, the PS3 includes a scaler (referred to as "Pure Video" which resides in its GPU and deals with rescaling pre-rendered native-resolution images to HD (as well as SD) -standard resolutions (much like a HDTV does for SD TV signals)) which can upscale a lower native resolution to that which is compatible with a target display device. Scalers do not handle resolution in the same way as renderers in GPUs; the former basically interpolates native pixels to a resolution that can be accepted by the recieving display device (i.e. the image is merely stretched in a 2D fashion, hence no real increase in definition); the latter renders actual pixels (typically based on 3D geometry as opposed to pre-rendered 2D images) and determines the maximum definition potential of in-game graphics (I say "potential" because a scaler can also downscale as well as upscale native resolutions, resulting in a lower output resolution). Scalers can do certain things to increase image quality (or rather, minimise otherwise noticeable pixellation) but ultimately can not create detail that's absent begin with.

Also, just to prove to you that my argument is not baseless, I extracted a list of PS3 games along with their native resolutions (crossing length and breath of the Internet in order to do so) [See Spoiler]. Sadly, the list doesn't include all PS3 games released to date; however, it does cover many of the best PS3 titles, and more relevantly, the games which you implied as so great that my jaw would detach from my face--and btw, none of those are truly full HD either, which just goes to reinforce the suspicion that either the PS3 hardware is not all that powerful, or still (and after some 6 years) has yet to be pushed; either way, it feels like I'm being ripped off by Sony. Also, this (http://www.mcvuk.com/news/read/new-super-mario-bros-u-will-run-in-native-1080p/0104355) more recent link would imply that even to this day, only a handful of PS3 games natively output to full HD while the majority do not; same with Xbox 360. As for the existing list I extracted, here (http://forum.beyond3d.com/showthread.php?t=46241)'s the link to the source in which you'll also find a list of PS3 (along with Xbox 360) hardware features, a number of which are exploited by game developers to create illusions of full HD graphics (and higher framerates), many of which I didn't know existed.

Bottom line: As far as game developers are concerned, skimping on native resolution is the easiest way to ensure consistency with games targeted at hardware-limited/developer-unfriendly consoles; especially when it comes to FX-hungry games like God of War 3 or games designed to run at 60fps such as GT5 (Yeah, I've seen them, and although they looked great by PS3 standards, my jaw remained intact, I assure you). I can also confirm through my bro's PS3 that GT5 is not consistently full HD; the resolution for the most part is horizontally much less (only the menus and car gallery are natively output to full HD), also, it can only support 720p in 3D mode (although the latter is something I can live with...), and then there's frequent framerate dips whenever the player goes to in-car view (most dissapointing considering that this option gives the most realistic view and feel of racing). For a game given such hype, public anticipation, and piss-taking development times, it's unacceptable.

Unfortunately, native resolutions with consoles like PS3 and Xbox 360 cannot be flushed out without the use of certain monitors (one's that allow 1:1 pixel mapping for example) and methods that can get around the output resolutions of scalers. You could therefore dispute the validlity of my sources, but claims of full HD games from console manufacturers are just as (if not more) questionable, and then vague at best. In any case, I'd be interested to see which sources you can drag up elsewhere to counter mine--in fact, I welcome it.

Also, I'd be more than happy to come over to your place, but really only because I'm more interested in hearing that sound system! (and perhaps because I'd like to compare the specs of my TV to yours...) XD

50 Cent = 1280x720 (blur filter)
Afro Samurai = 1280x720 (QAA)
Alice: Madness Returns = 1280x720 (MLAA)
Aliens Vs Predator = 1120x630 (custom AA)
Alone in the Dark = 1120x630 (no AA)
Army of Two = 1280x720 (no AA)
Assassin's Creed = 1280x720 (QAA)
Assassin's Creed 2 = 1280x720 (QAA), 960x720 (QAA) -> 1080 mode.
Assassin's Creed 2: Bromance = 1280x720 (QAA)
Avatar = 1280x692 (QAA, black borders)
Azura's Wrath = 1280x720 (no AA)
Backbreaker = 1152x640 (2xAA + blur filter)
Batman: Arkham Asylum = 1280x720 (no AA)
Batman: Arkham City = 1280x720 (no AA)
Battle Fantasia = 1280x720 (no AA, toggable blur filter)
Battlefield 3 = 1280x704 (MLAA) black bars
Battlefield: Bad Company = 1280x720 (no AA)
Battlefield: Bad Company 2 = 1280x720 (no AA)
Bayonetta = 1280x720 (no AA)
Beijing 2008 = 1024x768 (no AA)
Beowulf = 1280x720 (no AA)
Bionic Commando = 1120x640 (no AA)
Bioshock = 680p (no AA, blur filter pre-patch)
Bioshock 2 = 1280x720 (no AA)
Bioshock Infinite =
Binary Domain =
Blacksite: Area 51 = 1280x720 (no AA)
BlazBlue: Calamity Trigger = 1280x720 (QAA background, no AA characters )
Blur = 1280x720 (2xAA + half-pixel, bilinear-filtered edge blur)
Bodycount = 1024x640 (FXAA?)
Borderlands = 1280x720 (no AA)
Borderlands 2 = 1280x720 (no AA)
Bourne Conspiracy, The (demo) = 1280x720 (no AA)
Brink = 1280x720 (no AA)
Brutal Legend = 1152x720 (no AA)
Bulletstorm = 1280x720 (no AA)
Burnout: Paradise = 1280x720 (2xAA)
Call of Duty 3 (screenshot) ~1088x624 (2xAA)
Call of Duty: Black Ops = 960x544 (2xAA)
Call of Duty: Modern Warfare = 1024x600 (2xAA)
Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 = 1024x600 (2xAA)
Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 = 1024x600 (2xAA)
Call of Duty: World at War = 1024x600 (2x AA)
Call of Juarez: Bound in Blood = 1152x640 (4x2 custom edge AA)
Call of Juarez: The Cartel = 1280x720 (custom edge AA)
Castlevania: Lord of Shadow = 1280x720 (no AA)
Catherine = 1280x720 (QAA)
Chronicles of Riddick: Dark Athena = 1024x720 (QAA)
Command & Conquer: Red Alert 3 = 1280x720 (no AA)
Conan (demo) = 1024x576 (no AA)
Condemned 2 = 1280x720 (no AA)
Conflict: Denied Ops = 1280x720 (no AA) or 960x1080
Crysis = 1024x720 (TAA + edge post-process)
Crysis 2 = 1024x720 (TAA + edge post-process))
Dante's Inferno = 1280x720 (no AA)
Dark Sector = 1152x640 (no AA)
Darksiders = 1152x648 (no AA)
Darkness, The (demo) = 1024x576 (no AA)
Darkness II, The = 1152x600 (FXAA)
Dark Souls = 1024x720 (2xAA)
Dead Island = 1280x720 (custom edge filter)
Dead or Alive 5 = dynamic up to 1280x720 (no AA in-game)
Dead Rising 2 = 1024x576 (2xAA)
Dead Space = 1280x720 (no AA)
Dead Space 2 = 1280x720 (no AA)
Dead to Rights: Retribution = 1072x603 (2xAA) ?
de Blob 2 = 1280x720 (2xAA)
Def Jam Icon (screenshot) = 1152x648 (no AA)
Demon's Souls = 1280x720 (no AA)
Deus Ex: Human Revolution = 1280x720 (MLAA)
Devil May Cry 4 = 1280x720 (2xAA, temporal)
Dirt = 1280x720 (QAA)
Dirt 2 = 1280x720 (QAA)
Dishonoured = 1280x720 (post-AA)
Dragon Age: Origins = 1280x720 (AA ?)
Dragon Age II = 1280x720 (MLAA)
Dragon Ball: Raging Blast 2 = 1280x720 (no AA)
Dragon's Dogma = 1280x608 (black bars, FXAA)
Driver: San Fransisco = ~1120x720 (2xAA)
Duke Nukem Forever = 1152x640 (no AA)
Dynasty Warriors 6 = 1280x720 (no AA)
Dynasty Warriors 7 = 1280x720 (no AA)
EDF: Insect Armageddon = 1280x720 (QAA)
El Shaddai = 1152x576 (no AA)
Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion = 1280x720 (no AA)
Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim = 1280x720 (likely FXAA, more aggressive edge detection than 360 iteration)
End of Eternity/Resonance of Fate = 1088x720 (2xAA)
End War = 1280x720 (2xAA)
Enslaved = 1280x720 (no AA)
F.E.A.R. = 1280x720 (blur filter)?
F.E.A.R. 2 = 1280x720 (no AA)
F.E.A.R. 3 = 1280x720
F1 2010 = 1280x720 (QAA)
F1 2011 = 1280x720 (MLAA)
FaceBreaker = 1280x720 (QAA), 960x1080
Fallout 3 = 1280x720 (no AA)
Fantastic Four: Rise of the Silver Surfer = 1280x720 (no AA)
Far Cry 2 = 1274x692 (QAA, black borders)
Fifa 2008 = 1280x720 (no AA)
Fifa 2010 = 1280x720 (QAA)
Fifa 2011 = 1280x720 (QAA)
Fight Night Champion Online =
Fight Night Round 4 = 1280x720 (QAA)
Final Fantasy XIII = 1280x720 (2xAA)
Fracture = 1152x648 (no AA)
Ghostbusters = 960x540 (QAA, pre-patch), 1024x576 (2xAA, post-patch)
Ghost Recon: Advanced Warfighter 2 = 1280x720
Ghost Recon: Future Soldier = 1024x600 (FXAA)
G.I. Joe: The Rise of the Cobra = 1280x720 (QAA)
Godfather II = 1200x720 (blur filter)
God of War: Origins Collection = 1280x720 or 1920x1080 (no AA), 3D is 1280x720
God of War Collection Volume II = 1280x720 or1920x1080 (no AA)
God of War III = 1280x720 (MLAA)
Golden Axe: Beast Rider = 1280x720 (no AA, blur filter)
Golden Compass = 1280x720 (no AA)
Grand Theft Auto IV = 1152x640 (QAA)
Gran Turismo 5: Prologue = 1080p mode is 1280x1080 (2xAA) in-game while the garage/pit/showrooms are 1920x1080 with no AA. 720p mode is 1280x720 (4xAA)
Gran Turismo 5 = 1280x720 (4xAA), 1280x1080 (QAA, TAA selectable), 1280x720 (QAA) in 3D mode
Guitar Hero 3 = 1040x585 (no AA)
Guitar Hero Aerosmith = 1040x585 (no AA)
Guitar Hero World Tour = 1040x585 (no AA)
Guitar Hero 5 = 1024x576 (no AA)
HAWX = 1280x720 (no AA, horizontal blur)
HAWX2 = 1280x720 (2xAA, full screen blur filter)
Haze (demo) = 1024x576 (2xAA)
Heavenly Sword = 1280x720 (4xAA)
Heavy Rain = 1280x720 (2xAA)
Homefront = 1024x576 (no AA)
Ico = 1280x720 or 1920x1080 (MLAA)
IL2 Sturmovik = 1280x720 (QAA)
Infamous = 1280x720 (no AA)
Infamous 2 =
Incredible Hulk = 1280x720 (no AA), 960x1080 (no AA)
James Bond 007: Blood Stone = 1280x720 (2xAA + blur filter, half pixel, bilinear edge filter)
Jericho (demo) = 996x560 (2x AA)
Juiced 2: Hot Import Nights = 1280x720 (QAA)
Killzone 2 = 1280x720 (QAA)
Killzone 3 = 1280x720 2D, 640x716 3D, (both MLAA )
Kingdoms of Amalur = 1280x720 (no AA)
Kung Fu Panda = 1280x720 (no AA), 960x1080 (no AA)
Lair = 800x1080 (2xAA) - AA buffers are merged to produce 1600x1080 for further scaling
Legend of Spyro: Dawn of the Dragon, The = 1280x720 (no AA)
Legendary = 1280x720 (no AA)
LEGO: Batman = 1280x720 (no AA, slight blur filter)
LEGO: Harry Potter 1-4 = 1280x720 (no AA)
LEGO: Indiana Jones = 1280x720 (no AA), 960x1080 (no AA)
LEGO: Star Wars III = 1280x720 (edge detect blur filter)
Little Big Planet = 1280x720 (2xAA)
Little Big Planet 2 = 1280x720 (MLAA)
Lord of the Rings: Conquest = 640p (no AA)
Lost Planet = 1280x720 (temporal 2xAA)
Lost Planet 2 = 1280x720 (no AA)
Madden NFL '09 = 1280x720 (no AA)
Mafia 2 = 1280x720 (no AA)
MAG = 1280x720 (2xAA)
Marvel: Ultimate Alliance = 1280x720 & 1920x1080 (no AA)
Marvel: Ultimate Alliance 2 = 1024x576 (2xAA)
Marvel Vs Capcom 3 = 1280x720 (no AA)
Mass Effect 2 = 1280x720 (no AA)
Mass Effect 3 = 1280x720 (FXAA)
Mercenaries 2: World in Flames = 1280x720 (no AA)
Metal Gear Online = 1024x768 (2xAA, temporal)
Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriot = 1024x768 (2xAA, temporal)
Midnight Club: Los Angeles = 960x720 (QAA)
Mirror's Edge = 1280x720 (no AA)
MotoGP '10/'11 = 1280x704 (no AA)
Mortal Kombat 9 = 1280x720 (edge blur filter), one of the levels appears to be 680p. 1/2x1/2 transparencies, 960x720 in 3D mode
Mortal Kombat vs DC = 1040x624 (QAA)
MLB08: The Show = 1280x720 (2xAA) - The rendering window is adjustable down to 576p without upscaling to 720p i.e. the frame has black borders
MLB09: The Show = 1280x720 (2xAA) or 1920x1080 (no AA)
Motorstorm = 1280x720 (2xAA)
Motorstorm Apocalypse = 1280x1080 (dynamic) 2D, 1024x720 3D (MLAA)
Motorstorm Pacific = 1280x720 (dynamic down to 576p, 2xAA)
MX vs ATV: Alive = 1280x720 (no AA)
MX vs ATV: Reflex = 1280x720 (no AA)
MX vs ATV: Untamed = 1024x576 (no AA)
Nail'd = 1152x640 (4x2 custom edge AA)
Naruto Ninja Storm 2 = 1280x720 (no AA)
NBA07 (demo) = 1920x1080 (no AA)
NBA08 (demo) = 1920x1080 (no AA)
NBA Live '08 = 1280x720 (no AA)
NBA Street Home court (screenshot) = 1920x1080 (no AA)
Need For Speed: Hot Pursuit = 1280x720 (2xAA on cars, no AA on environment)
Need For Speed: Pro Street = 1280x720 (QAA)
Need For Speed: Shift = 1280x720 (QAA)
Need For Speed: Shift 2 =1280x720 (MLAA)
Need For Speed: The Run = 1280x704 (MLAA) black bars
Need For Speed: Undercover = 1280x720 (QAA)
NFL Tour = 1280x720 (no AA, poor framerate)
NHL '09 = 1280x720 (4xAA)
Ninja Gaiden: Sigma = 1280x720 (no AA, has weird scaling to support 1080p)
Ninja Gaiden: Sigma 2 = 1280x718 (dynamic 2xMSAA, black borders)
Ninja Gaiden 3 = dynamic up to 1280x720 (FXAA)
Operation Flashpoint 2 = 1280x720 (QAA)
Orange Box, The = 1280x720 (QAA or full screen blur...)
Overlord = 1280x720 (no AA)
Overlord II = 1280x720 (no AA)
Pirates des Caraibes (screenshot) = 768x1080 (no AA), 960x720 en mode 720p
Portal 2 = 1280x720 (MLAA)
Prince of Persia = 1280x720
Prince of Persia: The Forgotten Sands = 1280x720 (2xAA + blur? or quincunx)
Pro Evolution Soccer 2008 = 1280x720 (QAA)
Pro Evolution Soccer 2010 = 1280x720 (2xAA in-game, no AA cut-scenes)
Pro Evolution Soccer 2011 = 1280x720 (no AA)
Prototype = 1120x640 (QAA)
Quake Wars: Enemy Territory = 1280x720 (no AA)
Race Driver: GRID = 1280x720 (2xAA)
Rage = 640x720 up to 1280x720 (no AA)
Rainbow Six Vegas 2 = 1280x720 (2xAA)
Ratchet & Clank: Tools of Destruction = 960x704 (2xAA, AA samples used to reconstruct 720p)
Ratchet & Clank: A Crank in Time = 960x704 (2xAA, AA samples used to reconstruct 720p)
Red Dead Redemption = 1152x640 (QAA)
Red Faction: Armageddon = 960x540 (MLAA)
Red Faction: Guerrilla = 1280x720 (no AA)
Resident Evil 5 = 1280x720 (dynamic 0-QAA)
Resident Evil 6 = 1280x720 (Post-AA)
Resistance: Fall of Man = 1280x720 (QAA)
Resistance 2 = 1280x720 (QAA)
Resistance 3 =
Rise of the Argonauts = 1280x720 (no AA)
Risen 2: Black Waters = 1120x640 (no AA)
Rock Band = 1280x720 (2xAA, post-fx or lighting usually resulting in "no AA")
Rock Band 2 = 1280x720 (2xAA, post-fx or lighting usually resulting in "no AA")
Rock Band: The Beatles = 1280x720 (2xAA, post-fx or lighting usually resulting in "no AA")
Rock Band: Green Day = 1280x720 (2xAA, post-fx or lighting usually resulting in "no AA")
Ryu Ga Gotoku 3 = 1024x768 (no AA)
Saboteur = 1280x720 (edge detect)
Sacred 2: Fallen Angel = 1280x720 when sub-HD output selected, 1920x1080 for any HD output (no AA)
Saint's Row 2 = 640p (QAA)
Saint's Row 3 = 1280x720 (800x450 lighting)
SCORE International Baja 1000 = 1280x720 (no AA)
SEGA: All Stars Racing = 1280x720 (2xAA)
SEGA: Rally Revo = 1280x720 (4xAA, alpha blend)
SEGA: Superstars Tennis = 1280x720 (QAA, 30fps)
Shadow of the Colossus = 1280x720, 960x1080 (MLAA), 720p for 3D
Shadows of the Damned = 1280x720 (no AA, higher AF)
Silent Hill: Homecoming = 1024x576 (no AA)
Simpsons, The = 1280x720 (no AA)
Singularity = 1280x720 (no AA)
Skate = 1280x720 (no AA)
Skate 3 = possibly 1152x640 (2xAA, super blur filter makes it difficult to determine exact res)
Sleeping Dogs = 1152x640 (FXAA)
Soldier of Fortune: Payback = 1280x720 (no AA)
Sonic Unleashed = 880x720 (blur filter)
Soul Calibur IV = 1280x720 (no AA), 1280x576 in 1080p mode
Soul Calibur V = 1280x720 (MLAA)
Spec Ops: The Line = ~1120x640 (light FXAA?)
Spiderman: Web of Shadows = 1280x720 (no AA)
Spiderman: Shattered Dimensions = 1120x630 (no AA)
Split-Second = 1280x720 (2xAA)
SSX = 1120x585 (FXAA)
Star Ocean 4: The Last Hope = 1024x720 (2xAA, in field), ~930x512 (2xAA, in battle)
Star Wars: The Force Unleashed = 1280x720 (no AA)
Stormrise = 1280x720 (2xAA)
Street Fighter IV = 1280x720 (no AA), 1120x630 (in up-close character view)
Super Stars V8: Next Challenge = 1280x720 (2xAA)
Super Street Fighter IV = 1280x720 (no AA)
Supercar Challenge = 960x1080 (no AA)
Syndicate = 1280x720 (post-AA, dynamic res)
Tekken 6 = 1024x576 (2xMSAA w/o motion blur, no AA w/motion blur)
Terminator: Salvation = 1152x648 (blur filter)
Test Drive Unlimited = 1280x720 (QAA?)
Test Drive Unlimited 2 = 1280x720 (MLAA)
Tiger Woods PGA Tour '09 = 1280x720 (no AA)
Tiger Woods PGA Tour '11 = 1280x720 (no AA)
Tomb Raider: Underworld = 1280x720 (QAA)
Tony Hawk's Project 8 = 1280x720
Tony Hawk's Proving Ground (demo) = 1024x576 (no AA)
Top Spin 3 = 1280x720 (QAA)
Top Spin 4 = 1280x720 (QAA) 2D, 1024x720 (no AA) 3D
Transformers = 960x1080 (no AA)
Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen = 1120x720 (blur filter)
Transformers: War for Cybertron = 1024x600 (no AA)
Tron = 1280x720 (no AA)
Turning Point: Fall of Liberty = 1280x720 (no AA)
Turok = 1280x720 (no AA)
UEFA Euro 2008 = 1280x720 (no AA)
UFC 2009: Undisputed = 1280x720 (no AA in-game, 4xAA cutscenes)
Uncharted: Drake's Fortune = 1280x720 (2xAA)
Uncharted 2 = 1280x720 (2xAA)
Uncharted 3 = 1280x720 (edge detect) in 2D, 896x504 in 3D
Unreal Tournament III = 1280x720 (no AA)
Vanquish = 1024x720 (2xAA)
Viking: Battle for Asgard = 960x720 (2xAA) - AA buffers are merged to a 1920x720 framebuffer, which is then downscaled to 1280x720
Virtua Fighter 5 = 1024x1024 (no AA)
1024x768 en mode 1080p
Virtua Tennis 2009 = 1280x720 (QAA)
Virtua Tennis 3 = 1920x1080 (2x AA)
Virtua Tennis 4 = 1280x720 (2xAA) for 2D and 3D, 640x720 in 3D for cut-scenes
WALL E = 1280x720 (no AA)
Wanted = 1120x640 (no AA)
Warhammer 40,000: Space Marine = 1138x640 (post-AA)
Wheelman = 1280x720 (no AA)
Wolfenstein = 1280x720 (no AA)
World Series Of Poker 2008 = 1920x1080 (2xAA)
WWE 08 = ? 640x720 ? (2x AA) - les edges ont l'aparence du 1280x720 mais d'apres certain artefact il semble que ce soit le resultat de la fusion de 2 buffers MSAA 640x720
translation StefanS: "The edges give the impression of being 1280x720p, but because of a certain artifact it seems that it is the result of the fusion of 2 MSAA buffers of resolution 640x720"
WWE All-Stars = 1152x640 (no AA)
XCOM: Enemy Unknown = 1280x720 (FXAA)
X-Men Origins: Wolverine = 1280x720 (no AA)

PSN GAMES

1942: Joint Strike = 1280x720 (4xAA) or 1920x1080 (2xAA)
After Burner Climax = 1280x720 (no AA)
Battlefield 1943 = 1280x720 (no AA)
Blast Factor = 1920x1080 (no AA)
Bionic Commando: Rearmed = 1280x720 (no AA)
Calling All Cars (screenshot) = 1920x1080 (4x AA)
Commando 3 = 1280x720 (4xAA) or 1920x1080 (2xAA)
Dead Nation = 1280x720 (no AA)
Echochrome = 1920x1080 (2xAA)
Elefunk = 1920x1080 (4xAA)
Explodemon = 1280x720 (no AA)
Fat Princess = 1920x1080 (no AA)
Forbidden Siren = 1024x512 (4xAA)
Go Puzzle = 1920x1080
GTHD = 1440x1080 (no AA) - Vehicle selection is rendered at 1920x1080
Hard Corps: Uprising = 1280x720 (no AA)
High Velocity Bowling = 1920x1080 (no AA)
Lara Croft and The Guardian of Light = 1024x576 (QAA)
Locoroco Cocoreccho = 1920x1080 (2x AA)
Mainichi Issyo = 1440x1080 (4xAA)
Pixel Junk Monsters/Racers/Eden = 1920x1080
Puddle = 1280x720 (post-AA)
Red Faction: Battlegrounds = 1280x720 (QAA)
Rocketmen = 1920x1080 (2xAA)
Rub'a'dub = 1600x1080 (no AA)
Snakeball = 1280x1080 (no AA)
Stacking = 1152x720 (custom edge filter)
Stardust HD = 1280x1080 (no AA) pre-update, 1920x1080 (no AA) or 1280x720 (4xAA) post-update
Sudoku = 1920x1080
Super Rub-a-Dub = 1600x1080
Tekken 5 Dark Resurrection (screenshot) = 1920x1080 (no AA), not always?
TMNT:TiT Re-shelled = 1280x720 (no AA)
Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown = 1280x720 (FXAA)
Warhawk = 1280x720 (4xAA)
Wipeout HD = dynamic-framerate-dependent 1080p framebuffer (1280x1080 to 1920x1080)
Wolf of the Battlefield: Commando 3 = 1920x1080 (2xAA)

I'm sorry, but this falls under TLDR. It'll have to be postponed until i am extremely drunk so that i can better absorb the information.
i do gather that it is largely graphical quality and that list tells me you're looking at screen resolutions. Its safe to assume that you're relating graphics to resolution. A big mistake to make. Cuz the graphical quality has little to with the screens actual resolution. A simple example would be any PS3 game displayed in 480p vs and PS1 or 2 game displayed in 1080p. The 480p game will look better. However, same game, same system, different resolutions, in that scenario, the highest resolution will be the best looking. But long before resolution comes into play, its the capabilities of the system its self that'll really make the difference. Graphics-wise, theres nothing that'll keep up with a PS3 other than a very expensive computer rig.

Also, i haven't had any performance issues with GT5. that seems to be a problem unique to your bro.

You're welcome to come. sheeeeiiit if you're a hot chick i'd probably pay for your flight lol

MegaAnimeFan
10-17-2012, 07:37 PM
Is the PS3 itself capable of outputting true 1080p or not?

10-17-2012, 11:30 PM
I'm sorry, but this falls under TLDR. It'll have to be postponed until i am extremely drunk so that i can better absorb the information.
i do gather that it is largely graphical quality and that list tells me you're looking at screen resolutions. Its safe to assume that you're relating graphics to resolution. A big mistake to make. Cuz the graphical quality has little to with the screens actual resolution. A simple example would be any PS3 game displayed in 480p vs and PS1 or 2 game displayed in 1080p. The 480p game will look better. However, same game, same system, different resolutions, in that scenario, the highest resolution will be the best looking. But long before resolution comes into play, its the capabilities of the system its self that'll really make the difference. Graphics-wise, theres nothing that'll keep up with a PS3 other than a very expensive computer rig.

Also, i haven't had any performance issues with GT5. that seems to be a problem unique to your bro.

You're welcome to come. sheeeeiiit if you're a hot chick i'd probably pay for your flight lol

I'll admit, 'tis quite a read, but putting things briefly has never been my strong point; besides, I'm in no particular hurry to recieve your reply should you make one; but I do strongly suggest that you read all of my post before making assumptions as to how I define graphics quality.

For the record, my argument's not really based on screen resolutions at all; for I do not consider any screen resolution to be an indication of graphics quality whatsoever. The pixel dimensions included in that list of PS3 games are based on native, not screen resolutions, and the former can certainly affect graphics quality.

As far as consoles go, the PS3's main graphical prowess lies in its superior floating point performance thanks to its Cell processor, and that's about it... The NVidea-based GPU is okay, but is weak next to the Cell and so a weak link. The PS3 architecture is still difficult to work with according to many game developers, not to mention, costly. Now I could forgive all that if Sony hadn't hyped the PS3 as something of a full HD solution; but they do, and it's not.

Technically, yes it is--however, the majority of games available for the PS3 natively output resolutions much lower than 1080p--and it's the game developer's choice as to whether a game forces the PS3's GPU to output the maximum 1920x1080 pixels or not (My ealier post covers all this btw).

Btw, don't be fooled into thinking that you're getting true 1080p (i.e. 1920x1080) graphics just because there's a mention of 1080p on the game box. The resolutions specified there (typically 480, 720 or 1080p) are merely based on the video output signals that the PS3 can pass through HDMI; the same is true of the Xbox 360. Many PS3 games make use of the PS3's scaler, which can upscale lower native resolutions to full HD (1920x1080); this creates some impression of full HD visuals but does not change the underlying native resolution of the GPU's graphics. The effect is about as clever as using some image editor to blow up a 2D image with a nice filter slapped over the top.

Kaleohano
10-18-2012, 12:57 AM

blu-ray. watch it. Especially Avatar. holy f'knut it looks amazing!

---------- Post added at 10:57 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:50 PM ----------

I'll admit, 'tis quite a read, but putting things briefly has never been my strong point; besides, I'm in no particular hurry to recieve your reply should you make one; but I do strongly suggest that you read all of my post before making assumptions as to how I define graphics quality.

For the record, my argument's not really based on screen resolutions at all; for I do not consider any screen resolution to be an indication of graphics quality whatsoever. The pixel dimensions included in that list of PS3 games are based on native, not screen resolutions, and the former can certainly affect graphics quality.

As far as consoles go, the PS3's main graphical prowess lies in its superior floating point performance thanks to its Cell processor, and that's about it... The NVidea-based GPU is okay, but is weak next to the Cell and so a weak link. The PS3 architecture is still difficult to work with according to many game developers, not to mention, costly. Now I could forgive all that if Sony hadn't hyped the PS3 as something of a full HD solution; but they do, and it's not.

But the PS3 is full HD resolution. Its the games that are not. Play a Badass blu-ray movie on it and it will make it look its absolute best.

theres more but i don't feel like looking through it anymore.
The system has the performance capabilities, its just the developers who're holding it back right now.

10-18-2012, 02:01 AM
But the PS3 is full HD resolution. Its the games that are not. Play a Badass blu-ray movie on it and it will make it look its absolute best.

I never said that the PS3 can't do full HD if that's what you're implying; but anyways... I do agree that it does a cracking job with Blu-ray; has a fine (perhaps the finest) DVD upscaler too. But still, I like my Panny Blu-ray player too much... the SD to HD upscaler's not quite as good, but it kicks total a*s when it comes to native 1080p blu-ray movies, both visually and sonically. It also features a nice set of analog multi-channel audio outs, which is something of a rare feature with BD players these days.

Ranshiin
10-18-2012, 05:10 AM
I've had my Xbox for two years and not one hiccup with it. Just throwing that out there.

As for the PS3, pretty sure it plays blu-rays in 1080p, but that's because the system has to do far less graphics and CPU processing for streaming a 40-megabit video over computing real-time graphics. Both the PS3 and 360 are capable of outputting 1080p video, but the PS3 upscales from 720p, the 360 from 480p. I have a few games on both consoles (Blur and NFS: The Run) and I can see the difference in the post-process FX quality.

So ... old story, bro? No more arguments, bro.

Also the PS3 isn't as great as people claim. Yes, its online service is free ... but at what cost? For someone like myself who has large hands, the controllers are too small and despite having grown up on the Playstation, modern games are too fiddly to play on the layout. The online servers suck, are slow as molasses (2 hours to download a 500MB update?), and constantly boot me from whatever game server I connect to after 15-20 minutes. The PS3 system iOS is confusing (and I have a PSP ... I can find everything on the PSP!). Load times are horrendously slow due to the blu-ray disc format and that's even with the majority of game data having to be forced to be saved on hard disk on first run. The blue-tooth headsets are no better than anything else.

Not saying the xbox is any better. Overpriced membership, dashboard updates are slowly turning the main menu into a tedious iPad-esque layout of annoying adverts for Netflix, the online networks are full of 14-year-old weed addicts and people that are no better at playing games they've stolen than they are insulting everyone else for being better than them.

... In fairness had the PS3 not been $800 here at launch (seriously, they were at one point £450 - go research it), I would have got a PS3. I did eventually get one, but only to play Motorstorm. Motorstorm's like the only Sony-exclusive racing game worth getting - it's pretty much only Motorstorm, Wipeout and Gran Turismo that really show off what performance the PS3 actually has; everything else is just upscaled 720p ports of the xbox versions ... which tend not to be optimized very well for the console due to it being difficult to work with (which is why developers tend to use 360 for devving - easier system to work with, and porting to/from PC is also easier).

But come on - MOTORSTORM. FREAKING MOTORSTORM. Pacific Rift on 1080p is just ... amazing.