PDA

View Full Version : Bike helmets

SuXrys
08-26-2012, 01:53 PM
What do you think of bike helmets? Do you use one, why / why not?

Ranshiin
08-26-2012, 01:56 PM
I don't think I ever used one outside of cycling lessons.

They're too much of a pain to get on and make you look stupid if you're just going down a few streets to a shop. So I would never bother.

Likely thank the fact I grew up in a quiet area and have never been hit by a car when on a bike. Doesn't mean I've not been hit by a car >.> but not whilst on a bike.

Kaleohano
08-26-2012, 02:17 PM
I use one when i ride my dirt bike. I've never worn one on a Bicycle. With a motorcycle, the danger of your head getting effed in the A is extremely high. I just don't see it being that bad on a little bike. and besides, Dirt Bike helmets look dope as hell

KyouFalls
08-26-2012, 02:29 PM
I own a motorcycle helmet does that count? But i don't have a motorcycle... lol

RyuTama
08-26-2012, 02:30 PM
I only wore them for about a year after I started learning to ride. After that, nope. Even though the law here says it's illegal for people under 18 to ride without em, I don't think I've worn one since I was 12. >_> Never got caught though, or the cops just didn't care.

As for motorcycles, they're kind of a necessity. I know in Arizona and some other states in the US they're not mandatory, but I would rather use one because I don't really fancy seeing a hundred tiny splattered bugs all over my face when I get home after a long ride. That and your face freezes up almost instantly on cold nights without one.

Ranshiin
08-26-2012, 03:05 PM
Well, I can only go on bicycle helmets since I've never been able to ride a motorcycle and never will ride one.

o¬o

Mystelinth
08-26-2012, 03:07 PM
Hmhh maybe i should've weared one when cycling since i've been hit by a car already =/. Just bashed right into the front of the car and made a front flip. Wasn't hurt or anything though :D. As far as on my moped. Yeah i do wear a helmet. Its kinda necessary.

blueangel06661
08-26-2012, 05:00 PM
No?.....

I never even wore one for riding an ATV like a madwoman.... Flipped it once... Turned over a golf cart once too..... No helmets plz. >:]

Though if it was for a dirt bike or motorcycle (which I never plan on riding, then yes)

Dr. Evil
08-26-2012, 05:16 PM
I use helmets when paintballing, riding my cousin's ATV, and football. Other than that, the helmet is a pain in the arse.

ARKphoenix
08-26-2012, 06:27 PM
When I was a kid I would never wear a helmet even though I fell off multiple times (once breaking hard and I flung over the handle bars). Thinking back, none of my friends wore helmets... I guess we thought they were uncool.

Today I still own a push bike but I rarely ride it and when I do... I still don't wear a helmet.

FatalEnd21
08-26-2012, 08:17 PM
I never wanted to wear a helmet while riding a bike because I think I look goofy wearing one, I was like 12. No one around my neighborhood wears a helmet while riding a bicycle. As a matter of fact, I noticed people even stop wearing helmets for motorcycles too.

TheThunderBringer
08-26-2012, 09:24 PM
I bike home from school every day and don't wear a helmet. Haven't since I was like 10. I dunno, they're just kind of inconvenient/have the illusion of being unnecessary.

Only ever regretted it once when my shoes were wet and, when I stood up to petal faster, slipped and hit my head pretty hard on the pavement. Nothing serious, but I had a headache for a few hours as well as a couple scrapes.

T-Stew
08-26-2012, 10:23 PM
I usually wear a helmet. Most adults around here do, kids maybe not so much. The country roads are popular with cyclists around here. Must be some clubs or something because you'll often see a group of 10 or more go by all with technical shirts and tights and stuff. All the roads around here are also 55mph, and narrow (most dont even have painted lines), and some drivers arent very considerate of cyclists. I dont really care if they are cool or not, I am past being concerned about looking cool. Maybe if something was hideous looking I might be concerned but bike helmets are far from that IMO, I'd say they were pretty normal around here.

http://i903.photobucket.com/albums/ac235/kc2ebm/biking/IMG_8801_800.jpg

Even on the trail when cars aren't a concern I still usually wear a helmet if its rugid terrain... I'm just as likely to wipe out and bash my head on a rock lol. That shot is in the Adirondack Mountains nearer where I grew up.

Albear
08-27-2012, 12:00 AM
I wear one. After reading some posts here, I feel uncool for wearing one, since I think you guys are kewl. Lol.
In my case though, it sort of necessary since I tend to do alot more than move the bicycle forward.

Kaleohano
08-27-2012, 02:28 AM
Heres when to wear a helmet
Trying to hydroplain
http://i.imgur.com/Iberf.jpg
looks good, but going too slow
http://i.imgur.com/osUYp.jpg
Then you fall (water isn't bad at all to fall in, i'm more concerned about the bike)
http://i.imgur.com/zVGax.jpg
Step 1. Take out Andrew for throwing off your mojo
http://i.imgur.com/WReJp.jpg
Step 2. Have andrew help you get the bike out
http://i.imgur.com/QHS9x.jpg

consider yourselves edumicated.

Syndicate
08-27-2012, 02:56 AM
Helmet's are for the rich people >.>
Just like health care..
:p

Na i kid.. but helmet's are annoying that make my hair nappy and sweaty, so when i go to the skate parks i never take them.. i free ball it :p THATS HOW U DO IT! :3

DOOM!
08-27-2012, 04:23 AM
Bicycle helmets? Plllllease. Every time I see a grown man or kid over 10 riding on skates or any type of device wearing helmet/elbow/kneepads, it just makes me laugh.

Now, motorcycle helmets; I hate it because they're mandatory, but I don't mind wearing one; I know what it's like to have a 200 Kg engine block under your crotch that could project you at high speed against ... anything. I have a kevlar and expory resin helmet and carbon fiber one and I hate their design. I wish I could personalize them, but the laws here say I can't even paint them.

T-Stew
08-27-2012, 10:17 AM
Bicycle helmets? Plllllease. Every time I see a grown man or kid over 10 riding on skates or any type of device wearing helmet/elbow/kneepads, it just makes me laugh.

Now, motorcycle helmets; I hate it because they're mandatory, but I don't mind wearing one; I know what it's like to have a 200 Kg engine block under your crotch that could project you at high speed against ... anything. I have a kevlar and expory resin helmet and carbon fiber one and I hate their design. I wish I could personalize them, but the laws here say I can't even paint them.

That fancy helmet might not amount to much at high speeds. Required, yeah, but your neck will snap with or without one. They are going to be more effective at lower speeds. And heck, even on my mountain bike I have been to highway speeds a few times. But regardless if you are going fast or not even moving you can be in a high speed collision...

And what the heck is expory resin? Someone shouldn't be laughing at grown men when they can't even spell...

Hanamaru Kunikida
08-27-2012, 10:31 AM

Like Mormons?

Now that's just funny.

sunnyside
08-27-2012, 10:49 AM
Personally I think we ought to provide some more freedom for noble cyclists of all types to not wear helmets, at least so long as they are up for organ donation.

Historically they were a source of primo organs as they'd get thwacked while still young and healthy, and frequently the head trauma would leave them braindead but they'd still have a heartbeat and all that, allowing for the doctors to get prepped for donation.

So they get to look cool while alive, and a bunch of people get a new lease on life. And unlike drunk driving a helmet doesn't make you more likely to hurt someone else.

Why do we have these laws?

I salute the brave members of AF without helmet and their lifesaving efforts (though seriously, do agree to organ donation, and inform your loved ones or fill out a medical directive if over 18 so that if your brain is turned to blenderized pudding don't just lay in a hospital bed until you rot and your organs can't help anybody. Actually that should really apply to everybody regardless.)

Kaleohano
08-27-2012, 11:43 AM
Personally I think we ought to provide some more freedom for noble cyclists of all types to not wear helmets, at least so long as they are up for organ donation.

Historically they were a source of primo organs as they'd get thwacked while still young and healthy, and frequently the head trauma would leave them braindead but they'd still have a heartbeat and all that, allowing for the doctors to get prepped for donation.

So they get to look cool while alive, and a bunch of people get a new lease on life. And unlike drunk driving a helmet doesn't make you more likely to hurt someone else.

Why do we have these laws?

I salute the brave members of AF without helmet and their lifesaving efforts (though seriously, do agree to organ donation, and inform your loved ones or fill out a medical directive if over 18 so that if your brain is turned to blenderized pudding don't just lay in a hospital bed until you rot and your organs can't help anybody. Actually that should really apply to everybody regardless.)

But you forget my level of not caring about the lives of other people. If theres a way i can set it up so that my organs get donated to a specific list of people, then i'm all for it. But strangers have earned neither my trust, nor my respect. Therefore my organs, when placed in said devious piece of scheming dog dirt, would go in "Aw hell naw!" mode and release an acidic green goo which would then melt away the host body within seconds. So i guess i am protecting lives in some way as well...by not being an organ donor.

---------- Post added at 06:43 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:41 PM ----------

'ta hell kinda backwards communist hell hole are you from? Here you can add a friggin ricer spoiler to your helmet if you wanted to lol

ACBlackJ0ck
08-27-2012, 12:45 PM
Not biked in quite a while actually. I usually wore my helmet then

DOOM!
08-27-2012, 05:15 PM
But you forget my level of not caring about the lives of other people. If theres a way i can set it up so that my organs get donated to a specific list of people, then i'm all for it. But strangers have earned neither my trust, nor my respect. Therefore my organs, when placed in said devious piece of scheming dog dirt, would go in "Aw hell naw!" mode and release an acidic green goo which would then melt away the host body within seconds. So i guess i am protecting lives in some way as well...by not being an organ donor.

---------- Post added at 06:43 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:41 PM ----------

'ta hell kinda backwards communist hell hole are you from? Here you can add a friggin ricer spoiler to your helmet if you wanted to lol

It's called Europe, man, and its a nation of pussie faggots who think that having the most taxative standards will set an example to the world; code of the street says that re-painting a helmet damages it's structure and thus, no longer makes it liable to the norms it follows stated by the European patent it displays under the label, unless you order a personalized one that's been omologated by the vendor.
Once, my buddies laughed when they heard I got my motorcycle license, they were all like "what, you wanna be an organ donor?" I'm not from SWEDELANdEN, so I didn't get what they meant. But I felt uncomfortable with the idea of people taking my guts for free, after my misfortune and giving them to only to those who can "afford" them and not leave the choice to me or letting me rot in pieces; I agree with you, KalehaleKHAN guy.

Kaleohano
08-27-2012, 05:22 PM
It's called Europe, man, and its a nation of pussie faggots who think that having the most taxative standards will set an example to the world; code of the street says that re-painting a helmet damages it's structure and thus, no longer makes it liable to the norms it follows stated by the European patent it displays under the label, unless you order a personalized one that's been omologated by the vendor.
Once, my buddies laughed when they heard I got my motorcycle license, they were all like "what, you wanna be an organ donor?" I'm not from SWEDELANdEN, so I didn't get what they meant. But I felt uncomfortable with the idea of people taking my guts for free, after my misfortune and giving them to only to those who can "afford" them and not leave the choice to me or letting me rot in pieces; I agree with you, KalehaleKHAN guy.

come to 'Murika! you'll fund our standard much more tolerable and much easier to fight. lol

SuXrys
08-27-2012, 05:28 PM

If you are talking about Sweden [since I saw the "swedelanden" and I assumed you meant Sweden], then your organs won't be donated unless you have written yourself up on a specific list, or if your family says to the doctors that they think you would've wanted that.

animeyay
08-27-2012, 07:35 PM
No. I don't even have a bike lol.

CrimsonMoon
08-27-2012, 09:44 PM
I don't even know how to ride a bike, so I don't have the need to wear bike helmets. :x

Xeyuzio
08-27-2012, 10:01 PM
Nope, mainly because I haven't ridden a bicycle since I was 6 and was nearly killed by an oncoming car but I managed to move at the last second and instead I hit a pot hole, my bike flipped, and I landed on my arm or hand causing my wrist to break. Also I kind of forget how to ride bikes, the last time I rode one I was nearly falling. Also helmets look dorky and would ruin my hair.

DOOM!
08-28-2012, 12:36 PM
If you are talking about Sweden [since I saw the "swedelanden" and I assumed you meant Sweden], then your organs won't be donated unless you have written yourself up on a specific list, or if your family says to the doctors that they think you would've wanted that.
Ja, Sverige. And it's a good thing it takes prior permission; I'd've felt rather uncomfortable with that.

come to 'Murika! you'll fund our standard much more tolerable and much easier to fight. lol
And that's one of the few things I like about the remnants of old American law: not afraid to take a chance. I've traveled through so many non-english speaking countries... I dunno if I'll fit in... in the States.

Kaleohano
08-28-2012, 01:42 PM
Dr.LeDoom!
you'll be fine, just stay away from Louisiana.

DOOM!
08-28-2012, 04:20 PM
Dr.LeDoom!
you'll be fine, just stay away from Louisiana.
But why? It sounds like a nice place to me. And chilly peppers.

Kaleohano
08-28-2012, 04:29 PM
But why? It sounds like a nice place to me. And chilly peppers.

cuz thats deep southern country and they don't like foreigners lol

wolfgirl90
08-28-2012, 06:59 PM
I like bike helmets, mostly because they keep my squishy brain parts inside of my skull thingy. :)

~Travis
08-28-2012, 09:29 PM
I wear one when I mountain bike.
And well... pretty much all the time because I live on a busy street.