PDA

View Full Version : Veteran Posters vs Noobs.

Anime Forum
05-13-2012, 08:45 PM
THIS HAS 0 RELATION TO AF. Just capping that to avoid any uneeded questions.

Every forum I join nowadays it seems like veteran posters are able to get away with things newer members cannot. For example I've seen a member from Feb 2012 get banned for a simple: shut yo mouth.. and a user from 2005 saying far worse things and avoiding a ban. I can see new users having to respect ones who came before them, its like that usually anywhere but where do you draw the line and whats your opinion on veteran posters getting away with things noobs cannot? Are veteran posters just able to because their opinions can mean more?

Thoughts?

Hanamaru Kunikida
05-13-2012, 08:51 PM
It's about demand.

If the Veteran member gets banned, you can expect war from the other members who respect that member. It's a popularity contest...nobody gives a crap about the new member so nothing is gonna happen.

But to be honest, that's kind of stupid. People be talking the Internet seriously.

blueangel06661
05-13-2012, 08:55 PM
Non veteran members.
http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lylwm4qDxR1qhp1v5o1_500.gif

veteran members.
http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lz0mi9NCVN1r6aoq4o1_250.gif

....Seriously... Bunch of newbs post stupid stuff sometimes... Not our problem.

Anime Forum
05-13-2012, 08:59 PM
Non veteran members.
http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lylwm4qDxR1qhp1v5o1_500.gif

veteran members.
http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lz0mi9NCVN1r6aoq4o1_250.gif

....Seriously... Bunch of newbs post stupid stuff sometimes... Not our problem.

Let me ask you this. Let's say you joined an anime forum and got banned for practically nothing while veteran members laughed at you and said: newbs and their retarded posts. Never happened to me but would you accept it without a single care?

Hanamaru Kunikida
05-13-2012, 09:01 PM
In this other forum I go, if a respected member gets banned, you will find a bunch of FREE (VETERAN MEMBER} threads.

I got like 2-3 of them when I got banned in this other forum a long time ago. 2006-ish

blueangel06661
05-13-2012, 09:02 PM
Let me ask you this. Let's say you joined an anime forum and got banned for practically nothing while veteran members laughed at you and said: newbs and their retarded posts. Never happened to me but would you accept it without a single care?

If I was posting stupid stuff yeah.... Trust me, I got in trouble quite a few times by older members by posting stupid stuff in wrong areas and just stuff that I didn't know what I was talking about then I first joined AF at the tender age of 16... Didn't really argue with it and learned from it and didn't do it again.........

Anime Forum
05-13-2012, 09:06 PM
If I was posting stupid stuff yeah.... Trust me, I got in trouble quite a few times by older members by posting stupid stuff in wrong areas and just stuff that I didn't know what I was talking about then I first joined AF at the tender age of 16... Didn't really argue with it and learned from it and didn't do it again.........

I remember I first joined AF and posted Total Drama Island Spoilers. Loool. But I agree if you post stupid stuff but sadly this isn't always the case on forums.

blueangel06661
05-13-2012, 09:12 PM
I remember I first joined AF and posted Total Drama Island Spoilers. Loool. But I agree if you post stupid stuff but sadly this isn't always the case on forums.

I tried to gather a group for a cosplay skit for an upcoming con...
Yeah, this is an international forum xD I was pretty naive

Hanamaru Kunikida
05-13-2012, 09:24 PM

You probably don't remember this but this reminds me when you showed me a thread where someone ask about people's favorite radio station. xD

Anime Forum
05-13-2012, 09:25 PM

Now newer posters will laugh at us and point fingers. D : .. Yes. We made mistakes too.

blueangel06661
05-13-2012, 09:36 PM
You probably don't remember this but this reminds me when you showed me a thread where someone ask about people's favorite radio station. xD

I REMEMBER THAT!! Ahaha that was funny... If radio stations didn't change depending on different area's, car travels would be so much easier.. My car's radio is divided, number one is dedicated to a station Tally (which is static here in orlando) the rest are Orlando stations which are static in Tally :/ So you have to search for different stations manually... And forget about listening to the radio in-between destinations @_@ It's either static, or what you're listening to is now a country or gospel station instead of rock/pop.

Now thinking all radio stations were the same around the world was pretty naive xD

Sir Yorick of Vincent
05-13-2012, 09:38 PM
Should I be insulted by anything in the thread?
Or should I just smile and nod?

XD

Hanamaru Kunikida
05-13-2012, 09:38 PM
I REMEMBER THAT!! Ahaha that was funny... If radio stations didn't change depending on different area's, car travels would be so much easier.. My car's radio is divided, number one is dedicated to a station Tally (which is static here in orlando) the rest are Orlando stations which are static in Tally :/ So you have to search for different stations manually... And forget about listening to the radio in-between destinations @_@ It's either static, or what you're listening to is now a country or gospel station instead of rock/pop.

Now thinking all radio stations were the same around the world was pretty naive xD

Good. I thought it was funny too. While you can actually listen to other region's radio station nowadays...it still was a pretty retarded question as even with that, there would be THOUSAND of stations.

We got the same radio stations. xD
95.3??? =P

But to be honest, I just hook me up iPhone and pump up some music. Screw radio.

Anime Forum
05-13-2012, 09:43 PM
Should I be insulted by anything in the thread?
Or should I just smile and nod?

XD

Hey. Eventually you'll be able to join in these type of conversations. Maybe 2015'. Its the walk of passage. No offense intended.

Syaoran
05-13-2012, 09:43 PM
I guess when you've been around long enough, people will start tolerating your misbehavior as long as its kept on the same level for the most part.

Anime Forum
05-13-2012, 09:54 PM
I guess when you've been around long enough, people will start tolerating your misbehavior as long as its kept on the same level for the most part.

And that is what annoys me. Rule wise everyone is equal.

Ωmega
05-13-2012, 10:17 PM
I think veteran members get away with more because the staff already knows who they are and what theyre capable of, whereas new members could be an up and coming videogamer5555

GameGeeks
05-13-2012, 11:05 PM
Never really had any problems since joining here. But then, this is far from my first forum. Though I can agree, rule wise everyone should be equal it'll just never work that way when you have a small community. People get complacent.

CrimsonMoon
05-14-2012, 03:44 AM
Some new posters can really be annoying, like VG, or Ilovepuppies who just keep coming back to spam. -_- But aside from spamming, it seems that tolerance level for older members are higher than newer members. Maybe because it's really his usual attitude, or people don't want to retaliate because he's a veteran, or he's just being mean-nice, I don't know. I would say I tolerate some level of rudeness, but after that I just ignore the person.

Rozenberg
05-14-2012, 07:50 AM
Well, the thing called "Join Date" for me doesn't affect whether you are noob or veteran
If you know how to act properly in a forum, then that means you've grown up and so, not a noob

some new people might be annoying, don't know with a purpose or just a joke but if that annoys you, then go beat 'em up

example; my local game forum was opened in november 2009 and my ID was made exactly at that time
so they could call me a "veteran"
but I was banned several times, once for posting a kissing scene from the anime Yosuga no Sora *lol*
that I know I was wrong so I had no complaint, even though there are no rules stating "no posting kissing pic or whatever"
also sometimes the moderator is inconsistent with the rule, when I did something that is maybe a little wrong but not on the rule, they would banned me for a period of time and then update the rules, which was the thing that I did for getting banned. how unfair >.<

Hollow Ichigo
05-14-2012, 09:00 AM
I've been banned before as a vet when.I typed in the word, stuff that shoots out your rear, in an RPG when my character was killed off. What made mad waa thw fact that the CO- Admin used.bad language like in every post but necause he was a 'vital' part of the site he never got the banhammer. Yeah. Kinda sucks.

Chigumi
05-14-2012, 09:32 AM
I've experienced this on my previous forum.
I said some inappropriate word, BUT covered up with some *'s.
That I did, because... because the veteran poster did so too.
I was the only one who got a punishment for that.

Forums are ALWAYS friends politics if you ask me.
Same thing how popular people can be a mod/admin and
people who are (slightly) different than others can't for some reason.
On that other forum I've actually been denied a mod fuction because
THEY DON'T LIKE WHO I AM AS A PERSON.

http://i1.kym-cdn.com/profiles/icons/big/000/116/326/You%20don't%20say.png

Trinity Muse
05-14-2012, 09:47 AM
I've gotten my fair share of hate from the veterans. The same year I joined I threatened one of the leading admins I'd find out where they lived.

But favouritism amongst admins is a normal thing, especially for folks who've grown roots into the community. Yet, let me tell you, not all veterans are treated the same. Admins are much less tollerant to trolls with a record than unexperienced ones.

Eris
05-14-2012, 11:41 AM
It's pretty hard to actually get banned on AF. You really have to go out of your way in terms of being an idiot and/or breaking the rules. Once you've been banned once, though, it's a lot easier to get a repeated ban. And sockpuppets of banned members will be kicked out on sight. Though it should be pointed out that older members will know the nuances of how rules are enforced, and exactly what is and what isn't allowed in a way that, to new members, will make it appear that they're getting away with breaking rules they just got chastised for breaking themselves.

That being said, your word carries a lot more weight if you've been around for a while. When you get to a new forum, you're supposed to keep a low profile until you've gotten used to the lay of the lands. There will be plenty of opportunity for stirring up a ruckus. You just gotta lurk enough to figure out when is appropriate.

Explorer Oak
05-15-2012, 06:15 PM
Logicaly speaking, the "veteran posters" should follow all the rules the same as the noobs but also should be alowed more
Slack. But personally i think that the majority of the "veteran posters" should get off there high horses and stop thinking they are entitled to everything. I also think there are alot of respectable veteran posters like kagami sama and also Jasanime to name a few.

This being my first forum, this post is 100% directed at AF.

.Tatty.
05-15-2012, 06:29 PM
What exactly constitutes a veteran member?

Post Count? Length of Time Since Joining? Friends List?

Nion
05-15-2012, 10:20 PM
I think veteran members get away with more because the staff already knows who they are and what theyre capable of, whereas new members could be an up and coming videogamer5555

^^^ This.

What I noticed is that AF is actually more laid back and friendlier than other forums, which is the reason why you'll rarely see a ban happen before someone just losing interest in the forum, compared to say 4Chan where it's free for all and the new people more likely than not becomes fodder for the vets.

What makes a vet and a noob? Well, like someone mentioned, a vet's post counts and their sign up date are raw indicators, but it doesn't necessarily mean they're better/smarter/stronger/faster than a newb. It just means vets are long-time members who have shown some sort of self-control to not flame everyone including Jesus out of these forums. Newbs, or Noobs, are two totally different members who are new to the forums. Where a newb has the potential to become, say, a regular or "family" to a forum, a noob is usually someone who 1) doesn't read the rules or any txt/ignorant, which leads to 2)more ignorance, or 3) causes trouble not too much later than their join date indicating that they're more likely to cause trouble or 4) all of the above which will eventually lead to a ban or suspension of an account.

I guess whoever can be tolerable for a long amount of time becomes a vet.

blueangel06661
05-16-2012, 06:53 AM
^^^ This.

What I noticed is that AF is actually more laid back and friendlier than other forums, which is the reason why you'll rarely see a ban happen before someone just losing interest in the forum, compared to say 4Chan where it's free for all and the new people more likely than not becomes fodder for the vets.

Thank you!.... I've seen starter members [and even some older members] whine and complain about some things said here which really were not that bad. I've been to forums 10x's worse and survived. AF is pretty darn sheltered compared to most of the internet so I never understood why they were complaining. I came from a forum that girls and people under the age of 18 were not welcomed. I however survived (with a bunch of ridicule) and earned respect over the years from the older guys. They still ridicule me, but it's all in good fun.

Faux Angel
05-16-2012, 10:36 AM
lol this is only one of hundreds of forums on the net... just because someone wasnt here doesnt actually make them a "noob" ne ne

Meenah
05-16-2012, 12:51 PM
I think the community here is more friendlier than any others I had been in. Some will not be so kind towards the new people and you had to do so much to gain a certain image to that particular place. When I joined here, it was just easy and I don't have much of problems with anything. Seems hard to get banned here unless you really do something. :] And when I'm a newbie in other places, I just spend the time looking around, being familiar with the place, the rules, etc. followed by just being myself and a good member.

Faux Angel
05-16-2012, 01:04 PM
when i join.... i take over O_O omg its happening [aka i have no life and post all day]

Arrisu
05-16-2012, 05:54 PM
Yeah, some forums are just filled with immature "veterans" that go around and behave like newbies are pieces of dirt. If you stick around long enough, you tend to realize that these "veterans" are just a bunch of teenagers who are seeking popularity from the internet.
And I don't think it's right when moderators are more aloof with these people. Forums are so clique-ish. It's like highschool all over again (most of them).

blueangel06661
05-16-2012, 06:03 PM
And I don't think it's right when moderators are more aloof with these people. Forums are so clique-ish. It's like highschool all over again (most of them).

Funny though, people say college is like HS all over again, people say dealing with people at work is like HS all over again.... Think life may just be like highschool? ._.

Arrisu
05-16-2012, 06:11 PM
Funny though, people say college is like HS all over again, people say dealing with people at work is like HS all over again.... Think life may just be like highschool? ._.

That depends who you hang around with. Since some people never grow out of their highschool trend. -shrugs.- People just enjoy drama and subconciously wish their lives to be as such. I supposed it because we are all exposed to such lifestyles by the media, especially television.

Nion
05-18-2012, 03:12 AM
I think for a handful, life doesn't really move beyond hs but merely rides on the wave of it. Others seek higher grounds and self-perfection/improvement. The former will take it's toll once you pass 30 years old, garunteed.

Ranshiin
05-18-2012, 03:48 AM
My first thread here was literally: "Is Shinji Gay?" xD Neon Genesis. Oh, good times.

I can understand what newbies feel about the forum but in honesty, AF is a cakewalk compared to other sites. But what other people have said is probably correct; you have to learn your place when you're new. Senior users SHOULDN'T really be any more exempt from the law than rookie users but a senior and more respected user is more likely to have a mod overlook the occasional borderline inappropriate post. It's just one of those unwritten rules, unfortunately.

But then again it's like I'm friends with Flash and I still get told off in Chat sometimes. lol.

Faux Angel
05-18-2012, 09:16 AM
Yeah, some forums are just filled with immature "veterans" that go around and behave like newbies are pieces of dirt. If you stick around long enough, you tend to realize that these "veterans" are just a bunch of teenagers who are seeking popularity from the internet.

lol thats what i said to suxrys about not being sure when i first got here if i was going to stay
^.^ but i find this place pretty mellow and inviting XD i ended up here because my old favorite forums got dramatized to the max O_O wars and such about admins and staffies and mods banning certain "big" names

Rozenberg
05-18-2012, 09:38 AM
yup I feel it too.
This AF can be said, open-hearted?

whereas my local forum is only filled with the same person everyday in the lounge.
and the lounge was full with conversation about AKB48, only between 4 people.
It feels like the noob that try to join the conversation was ignored.

fortunately I'm a veteran member there so I can say what I want *lol
maybe being a veteran member feels like that the forum is our own home (online)

Faux Angel
05-18-2012, 09:43 AM
yup I feel it too.
This AF can be said, open-hearted?

whereas my local forum is only filled with the same person everyday in the lounge.
and the lounge was full with conversation about AKB48, only between 4 people.
It feels like the noob that try to join the conversation was ignored.

fortunately I'm a veteran member there so I can say what I want *lol
maybe being a veteran member feels like that the forum is our own home (online)

yeah... one time, on mangafox, i had a new accnt [for legit reasons >.>] and decided not to tell my friends, and just started talking to them, AND THEY ALL IGNORED ME!!! ... rudeness... and then when they found out who i was, suddenly i was reincluded in conversations OTL

definitely highschool all over again.

DeathBlade/13.666
05-18-2012, 10:10 AM
I dunno, Is there that much isolation between new and old? Frankly, I don't have a problem with any n00b or oldie, and it's not just me being staff saying that. I've never had an issue with someone because of how long they've been a member. If I had an issue with someone, it's usually because they're acting stupid, being a jerk, or breaking a rule.

As for it being High School all over again, Faux Angel, Keep in mind that a lot of the members are in Middle School, Junior High School, High School, and College. The average age puts folks right around 9th-10th grade. So of course High Schooler's will be High School mentality with.

Faux Angel
05-18-2012, 10:16 AM
I dunno, Is there that much isolation between new and old? Frankly, I don't have a problem with any n00b or oldie, and it's not just me being staff saying that. I've never had an issue with someone because of how long they've been a member. If I had an issue with someone, it's usually because they're acting stupid, being a jerk, or breaking a rule.

As for it being High School all over again, Faux Angel, Keep in mind that a lot of the members are in Middle School, Junior High School, High School, and College. The average age puts folks right around 9th-10th grade. So of course High Schooler's will be High School mentality with.

ah shucks, ... read ur whole post and all i found important to reply is: junior high school and middle school are the same thing.

<.< >.> <.< >.>

DeathBlade/13.666
05-18-2012, 03:12 PM
ah shucks, ... read ur whole post and all i found important to reply is: junior high school and middle school are the same thing.

<.< >.> <.< >.>Not quite. To different people they're different things. Mainly they serve as 5-8, but some Middle Schools are 5-6 and Jr. Highs are 7-8. Others have it backwards. I know one town had a Middle School 5-7 and a Jr. High 7-9. Then by the time my got to 5th grade it was changes to 5-6 MS, 7-8 Jr. High, and 9 became apart of 12th. Many other places have stuff similiar and others have stuff very different. Especially when talking about people that live outside the U.S. that may have completely different scholastic systems.

Sir Yorick of Vincent
05-18-2012, 03:48 PM
The worse is when you join a gaming clan that has a ranking structure. Veterans destroy new members just for fun.

DeathBlade/13.666
05-18-2012, 03:49 PM
The worse is when you join a gaming clan that has a ranking structure. Veterans destroy new members just for fun.That's jsut a sign of a really crappy gaming clan.

Faux Angel
05-18-2012, 03:49 PM
Not quite. To different people they're different things. Mainly they serve as 5-8, but some Middle Schools are 5-6 and Jr. Highs are 7-8. Others have it backwards. I know one town had a Middle School 5-7 and a Jr. High 7-9. Then by the time my got to 5th grade it was changes to 5-6 MS, 7-8 Jr. High, and 9 became apart of 12th. Many other places have stuff similiar and others have stuff very different. Especially when talking about people that live outside the U.S. that may have completely different scholastic systems.

how interesting ^.^
.___. in the US public school system, im pretty sure middle and jr high are overlapping and u can only either have one or the other, not elem ->mid ->jr -> high. but ne ne who cares ja?

Sir Yorick of Vincent
05-18-2012, 03:53 PM
That's jsut a sign of a really crappy gaming clan.

Yeah, the clan was huge and only one part of the five clan community.

Here. (http://www.xiledgaming.com/)

Whenever I was promoted to General I told my senior members to treat recruits with respect so I tried helping.

DeathBlade/13.666
05-18-2012, 04:04 PM
At least you tried, Mr. Meme.

And Faux Angel, Like I said, it all depends on where you go in the U.S.. Presonally, I went through 1-4 = Elementary -> 5-6 = Middle School -> 7-8 = Junior High -> High School. Regardless, it's not like the mentality changes that much from grade to grade, to include college.

Faux Angel
05-18-2012, 04:09 PM
At least you tried, Mr. Meme.

And Faux Angel, Like I said, it all depends on where you go in the U.S.. Presonally, I went through 1-4 = Elementary -> 5-6 = Middle School -> 7-8 = Junior High -> High School. Regardless, it's not like the mentality changes that much from grade to grade, to include college.

.... sounds like wasted money, makes much more sense to build only 3 schools o___o

*has a very hard time admitting shes wrong about anything*

DeathBlade/13.666
05-18-2012, 04:21 PM
.... sounds like wasted money, makes much more sense to build only 3 schools o___o

*has a very hard time admitting shes wrong about anything*As a former government employee, I can tell you that if it makes sense in the slightest way, We won't don't it. We'll do the opposite and beat around the bush about it. ^.^

Anywho, back to the topic at hand.... How many new folks feel like they are being mistreated on this site? and How many oldies just don't want to deal with the new folks here?

sataned
05-18-2012, 04:39 PM
meh. the mods are ok around here. some people just deserve to get banned . BESIDES only a limited supply of us are allowed the immature crude semi mentally challenged humor so you newbs BAC K THE #@(#*@FF :D jk. <3 stop being mean to the noobies mods. make stem cells with them instead.

DeathBlade/13.666
05-18-2012, 04:57 PM
meh. the mods are ok around here. some people just deserve to get banned . BESIDES only a limited supply of us are allowed the immature crude semi mentally challenged humor so you newbs BAC K -------------@FF :D jk. <3 stop being mean to the noobies mods. make stem cells with them instead.

How are we being mean to new people?

Faux Angel
05-18-2012, 05:12 PM
As a former government employee, I can tell you that if it makes sense in the slightest way, We won't don't it. We'll do the opposite and beat around the bush about it. ^.^

Anywho, back to the topic at hand.... How many new folks feel like they are being mistreated on this site? and How many oldies just don't want to deal with the new folks here?

ME omg.... ive only been here like... 3 days... already ppl telling me im wrong about stuff D: how about that.
seriously tho... why such a strict chat O_O

sataned
05-18-2012, 05:26 PM
ME omg.... ive only been here like... 3 days... already ppl telling me im wrong about stuff D: how about that.

to be honest this forum isnt soo strict anymore. you shouldve seen it a few years ago. my infractions is proof of how humorless and stuck up it was.

and i was just kidding deathblade you guys are ok by me. sometimes not really though.

DeathBlade/13.666
05-18-2012, 05:27 PM
Faux Angel Meh, don't take it as being wrong, just think if it as getting facts straight to lessen confusion.

As for the Chat. Simply put http://www.tuxedomask.com/chat/rules.htm Read'em. Those were the rules for the chat since before I was even coming to the chat (2001). The political answer to your question would be because we have had and still have young people from ages 11 on up coming into the chat. Because there is such young kiddies around, we like to keep it clean for them, and for their parents. Many parents like to follow up on what their kids are doing and check us out to make sure we're not some site filled to freaky-deaky people spewing all sorts of adult things that young ones shouldn't see/hear until they're older.

Now as for the strictness, that varies admin to admin. Some are more lax than others, and allow certain things that others don't provided what is being allowed isn't be abused. Some admins aren't too knowledgeable of various slang words, terms, and phrases from various languages, countries, and cultures. So bear with them, and if you must explain yourself, don't get mad. Just calmly explain to them what you meant.

As for further clarification and understanding, or an actual answer and not just my opinion of the matter, I suggest you talk to Kaitou Ace, Jakiao, FlashD, or any other Site or Chat Admin. Preferably somewhere other than this thread because it's not on topic with the thread. ^.^

Fair enough, sataned

Faux Angel
05-18-2012, 05:33 PM
to be honest this forum isnt soo strict anymore. you shouldve seen it a few years ago. my infractions is proof of how humorless and stuck up it was.

and i was just kidding deathblade you guys are ok by me. sometimes not really though.

lol the only flaw around here is taking me seriously >.> ... im not used to ppl doing that

*bows to deathblade* ty >.<

DeathBlade/13.666
05-18-2012, 05:39 PM
lol the only flaw around here is taking me seriously >.> ... im not used to ppl doing that

*bows to deathblade* ty >.<
lol Well it is Serious talk. ;P

And No problem, I'm just doing what I can.

sataned
05-18-2012, 05:47 PM
HEY! this is a serious matter and should be taken seriously at all times! ! ! !

Anime Forum
05-18-2012, 06:05 PM

Place was much stricter before but I still find a lot of newer members humorless and just defensive. Maybe this is why I'm not too social anymore on here.

Bamboobowl
05-19-2012, 11:45 PM
Knowledge comes from experience.
If this is your first time on a forum, I think you're bound to make mistakes.
But, we all do.
When I first joined another site, which was four years ago, I was always in trouble with mods and/or vets.
Then, when I joined here, I had pretty much straightened my act.
However, sometimes users don't change and keep being total noobs even with a large post count.
Just depends, really.

CrimsonMoon
05-20-2012, 02:40 AM

I'd been in chats before, but I got picked on by the bots, lol. It gave me warn level 1, though it's not too bad. Actually AF is pretty much lax, and even most of the members are nice. Veteran or no veteran, we pretty much respect one another, unless you're a known troll.

Kaleohano
05-20-2012, 07:28 PM
I got banned over some really stupid s**t from the Signature section. was only supposed to be temporary is what the mod told me. Said it'll last "a week or two," been over a month now and i'm still banned. That a s**ty mod cuz, A. he lied to me. or B. messed something up and didn't bother to tell me.