PDA

View Full Version : DEV TEAM TOURNEY MATCH 7, CIRCUIT 1: Volition, Inc. vs. Platinum Games

Hanamaru Kunikida
05-08-2012, 10:26 PM
Welcome to the seventh match of the Dev Team Tournament, please take a little of your time to read the small rules I have set.

FOR THE LIST OF ALL COMPETING DEV TEAMS, RULES AND OTHER INFO, CLICK HERE (http://www.animeforum.com/showthread.php?108290-Dev-Teams-Tournament-Discussion-Thread).

Volition, Inc. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Volition,_Inc.)
Saints Row series
Red Faction series
The Punisher
(please click the team's name for the entire list of games)

(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pandemic_Studios)Platinum Games (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Platinum_Games)
Madworld
Infinite Space
Bayonetta
Vanquish
(please click "list" for the entire list of games)

-Bear in mind that we are voting for the best dev team and not necessarily the the team with the best games. Of course game quality will be the major deciding factor, but try to remember that your vote should also be based on such factors as: customer service, how quickly the devs put out games, DLC, etc.

NOTE: We have a lot of development teams to go through so please be patient.
__

Oh crap, this is a difficult one for me. I enjoyed Saints Row games a lot and Red Faction games to a extend. Platinum games really takes the cake for me with Madworld, Bayonetta, Infinite Space and Vanquish. Not to mention the Anarchy Reigns is looking like a hell of a game.

Can't comment on Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance but I can say that they might do well on it as well.

Platinum Games it is for me.

FluffyDango
05-09-2012, 08:26 AM
Platinum Games ftw. xD
Bayonetta is great.

Hanamaru Kunikida
05-09-2012, 09:04 PM
Not even Light Buster or BoldMushroom?

Light Buster
05-09-2012, 09:17 PM
Kaitou+ Did not play any games from these developers so can't express my opinion.

Hanamaru Kunikida
05-09-2012, 09:19 PM
Light Buster
Fair enough but wait...

You never ever played any of the Saints Rows or Bayonetta?

Light Buster
05-09-2012, 09:20 PM
Light Buster
Fair enough but wait...

You never ever played any of the Saints Rows or Bayonetta?

Nope, was never interested in their games in the first place.

Hanamaru Kunikida
05-09-2012, 09:21 PM
Nope, was never interested in their games in the first place.

Not even Bayonetta or Vanquish, really?

Alrighty then, lol. xD

Light Buster
05-09-2012, 09:22 PM
Not even Bayonetta or Vanquish, really?

Alrighty then, lol. xD

I know right, I was only attracted to more of the competitive games, such as UMvC3 and MW3.

Hanamaru Kunikida
05-09-2012, 09:25 PM
I know right, I was only attracted to more of the competitive games, such as UMvC3 and MW3.

As much as I don't like UMvC3...Well I do, but I'm not much into it.

MW3...Yeah, I don't wanna thread drift this thread. You're my bro, you know that...but I LOL'd in real life.

But you should really check those games out...you're literally missing out on a lot. If you got a Wii, you should also play Madworld.

Light Buster
05-09-2012, 09:29 PM
As much as I don't like UMvC3...Well I do, but I'm not much into it.

MW3...Yeah, I don't wanna thread drift this thread. You're my bro, you know that...but I LOL'd in real life.

But you should really check those games out...you're literally missing out on a lot. If you got a Wii, you should also play Madworld.

The reason I got into MvC3 in the first place is because it is (you're going to hate me) easy and I'm close to Super where they hold weekly competitions and I also made friends there (Clockwork, Combofiend, Mike Ross, Fanatiq, Justin Wong).

MW3, can't say much, but once again, made a bunch of friends.

If I get bored somehow, I may give single player games my time but chances of that happening is next to nothing.

Hanamaru Kunikida
05-09-2012, 09:32 PM
The reason I got into MvC3 in the first place is because it is (you're going to hate me) easy and I'm close to Super where they hold weekly competitions and I also made friends there (Clockwork, Combofiend, Mike Ross, Fanatiq, Justin Wong).

MW3, can't say much, but once again, made a bunch of friends.

If I get bored somehow, I may give single player games my time but chances of that happening is next to nothing.

You never played Devil May Cry then? xD

Also, I feel you about friends though...I made a lot of friends through playing BB and KoF.

But screw it...just grabbed a SP game....I literally mean that you're missing out on a lot. If you're gonna skip all SP games, I dunno...you're missing out on a lot of quality games.

BoldMushroom
05-09-2012, 09:36 PM
Oops, forgot to vote in this earlier today.

Not a huge fan of either developer, but I'm giving the edge to Volition because I played a lot of Red Faction II when I was younger. Plus, for being such a straight GTA clone, Saint's Row is pretty decent. Platinum Games is an interesting company, but none of their games have really wowed me so far. MadWorld is more style than substance, Bayonetta is too similar to DMC, and Vanquish has some great ideas but isn't ambitious enough with them.

Hanamaru Kunikida
05-09-2012, 09:43 PM
Oops, forgot to vote in this earlier today.

Not a huge fan of either developer, but I'm giving the edge to Volition because I played a lot of Red Faction II when I was younger. Plus, for being such a straight GTA clone, Saint's Row is pretty decent. Platinum Games is an interesting company, but none of their games have really wowed me so far. MadWorld is more style than substance, Bayonetta is too similar to DMC, and Vanquish has some great ideas but isn't ambitious enough with them.

Whoa, let me stop you right there.

Saints Row is a GTA clone? Since when? While they have similar gameplay...They are not clones since GTA has a more series approach while SR is more wacky/goofy approach. GTAV isn't out but let's compare SR3 and GTAIV. I mean, GTAIV has more serious side quests for example...while in SR3, it has a mission where you shoot damn mascots...>.> The gameplay are similar, sure but when you play both games, they still both give different feels.

Bayonetta was an excellent game but yeah, won't argue about that. Madworld was really fun but still, I couldn't agree more. Vanquish was a good game, especially with it's arcade system integrated into Story Mode, but that's really not too innovative. I wouldn't call the game generic and it was fun as well but it's nothing too new either, yeah.

But overall, my most fun lays on Plat Games since I'm not fan of Red Faction and it went downhill by the installment.

BoldMushroom
05-09-2012, 09:50 PM
That's why I called it "pretty decent." It distinguishes itself with its tone, and some gameplay mechanics are more conducive to sandbox wackiness than GTA (physics, side missions, customization). But like you said, the core gameplay is very similar between the two franchises, and that's a big deal to me. Every GTA since GTA3 has had the same core gameplay style, and I'm sick enough of that, so I'm not eager to play another franchise that emulates the same gameplay style. I'd rather see new kinds of sandbox games, or new variations on the open-world format. Crackdown, for example, was a decent attempt to try something different than "open-world crime simulator." Even though it was still largely "open-world urban city gang member shooter", the superhero mechanics (strength, climbing, leaping) were pretty novel.

Hanamaru Kunikida
05-09-2012, 09:58 PM
That's why I called it "pretty decent." It distinguishes itself with its tone, and some gameplay mechanics are more conducive to sandbox wackiness than GTA (physics, side missions, customization). But like you said, the core gameplay is very similar between the two franchises, and that's a big deal to me. Every GTA since GTA3 has had the same core gameplay style, and I'm sick enough of that, so I'm not eager to play another franchise that emulates the same gameplay style. I'd rather see new kinds of sandbox games, or new variations on the open-world format. Crackdown, for example, was a decent attempt to try something different than "open-world crime simulator."

Well, Crackdown 2 was a disappointment though. The story was weak at best.

It's gameplay was good though and when you went to your friend's world to help him/her out finish story. Kind of an MMO feel, but not exactly. Yeah.

BoldMushroom
05-09-2012, 10:23 PM
Yeah, I didn't bother with Crackdown 2 because I heard it wasn't so hot. I had a blast with the first Crackdown, even though the difficulty curve spiked about 2/3 of the way through.

Munchman
05-10-2012, 04:40 PM
Im voting for Volition , because seriously , Red Faction was awesome.

Hanamaru Kunikida
05-11-2012, 02:26 PM
I wish more people participated on this...=\