PDA

View Full Version : [TV Series] Angel Beats!

Blade_Runner95
04-22-2012, 11:46 PM
http://animeretrospective.files.wordpress.com/2012/04/angelbeatfin.jpg?w=300

“No matter what happens, I will be by your side”
—————————————-
Year of production:2010
Number of episodes: 13eps
Produced By: P.A Works and Aniplex
Content: Contains violence and select moments of bad language (usually for a reason)
Genre: Action, School Life, Comedy, Supernatural
—————————————-
Story:
The story of Angel Beats follows Yuzuru Otonashi, a young man on the way to his university entrance exam. On the way there, the train he is riding on crashes in the train tunnel, and inevitably, he dies. Afterwards, he wakes up in Limbo, face to face with a young red-haired girl with a sniper pointed downwards. The girl’s name is Yuri, and she invites him to join the Afterlife Battlefront (SSS), a group which fights against the cruel fate given to them by God. She also tells him about Angel, a girl who is believed to be working for God, and is the mortal enemy of the SSS. With Otonashi now a member of the SSS, he goes upon his mission of defeating Angel…..

Artwork:
What else can I say, other than the artwork is beautiful? P.A Works has absolutely set a high standard for this show, as seen in the picture at the start of this post. Everything from the environments to the images used in the OP/ED, to even the characters looks superb. School uniforms are detailed immensely, and almost look like a direct translation from reality to the anime medium. The “assailants” introduced towards the latter half of the show are animated quite well, with much detail being paid to them.
I liked the attention paid to the hipster character, T.K. His headband was pretty well done, and the peace necklace chained around his neck, was animated perfectly during the fight scenes in which it was constantly flung around XD

Sound:
The voice cast for this show was quite impressive, each delivering their roles quite well. Hiroshi Kamiya as Otonashi and Harumi Sakurai as Yuri both play their roles of the main leads superbly, giving emotion to the main characters. Even though Angel was a quiet character and was not of the talkative type, Kana Hanazawa managed to bring to the surface her hidden emotions, and the secrets hidden away behind her quiet exterior. The weaponry displayed throughout the series sounded as it should, no doubt being helped by their real-life counterparts.
The OP has to be one of my most favourite anime opening songs of all time. The beautiful melody of the piano, accompanied by the imagery of Angel playing said piano, was simply incredible. The insert songs throughout the series was, often enough, matched to suit the scene being displayed, and helped to enhance the feelings given off by the scene in question. While the ED will not stay in my head for very long, it is still a noteworthy song that should be remembered, if only for its subtlety and beauty.
However, there were some negatives to the seiyuu. While some may disagree with me on this point, I found the English dub of the series to be quite moderate in comparison. The voices did not give off as much emotion as in the Japanese voices. Some of the characters even came across as annoying and whiny (example: Yui). Most were tolerable, but nothing extraordinary.

Characters/Themes:
Many of the characters had respectable personalities, and surprisingly, there really were no cliches! Otonashi was the skeptical main lead, Yuri the headstrong and determined battle girl, Angel the multilayered girl with secrets etc. None of them managed to grate on your nerves, and each had different character traits to accompany them. Its as if the creators wanted to make each individual unique, which including Girls Dead Monster and the other members of the Afterlife Battlefront, they certainly did.
This show is also quite emotional at certain points, so keep a box of tissues handy. It tackles the themes of belonging, self-worth, acceptance and more. Especially Yui’s “moment”, man that cut me deep. This added layer of emotion is also what makes Angel Beats so good, as it complements the themes of the show perfectly.

Conclusion:
In conclusion, Angel Beats is probably my favourite P.A Works title so far. With its terrific blend of cinematography, acting and emotion, it is an anime that I would reccommend to anyone willing to shed a few tears. It truly is a show worth your time, and I guarantee you this, it will teach you some life lessons. Hell, I certainly learnt a few.

Rating: 8/10

Reviewer03
04-28-2012, 03:20 PM
Its a good anime but I really dont understand the hype about it. I would give it a 7/10 because there are quite some flaws.

Purple Angel
04-30-2012, 03:21 PM
I absolutely loved Angel Beats so much!:) I agree the artwork is beautiful plus the story does teach lessons :)
there's just one little thing that was a shame, and could have been improved on:
Near the end when they had to have all the characters "disappear" I really disliked how they could all just quickly go, it would have been nice to have a couple of episodes to see there story and such. Though I understand PA works had a restricted budget and could only produce a certain amount of episodes and at high quality. It was just a shame it couldn't have been longer :frown:

RavenQueen
05-07-2012, 03:32 PM
it was good i cry few times wish it did not end :(

rawzah
05-20-2012, 07:06 AM
This anime gave me a good laugh, although the ending is a little sad.

neogalaxy
05-26-2012, 03:18 AM
Guys iv'e watched e

---------- Post added at 03:18 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:17 AM ----------

I've recently been reccommened this anime and i need to know if It is worth watching? Please reply.

Reviewer03
06-05-2012, 12:53 PM
Guys iv'e watched e

---------- Post added at 03:18 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:17 AM ----------

I've recently been reccommened this anime and i need to know if It is worth watching? Please reply.

The first two episodes are about intense life and death situation with some deep drama and good comedy - then it changes to playing pranks at school - there is still a lot of action but somehow I felt that after episode 2 or 3 it went downhill.

So I would suggest - watch the first two episodes - they are the best of the series - decide if you watche the whole thing based on that.

neogalaxy
06-05-2012, 02:22 PM
The first two episodes are about intense life and death situation with some deep drama and good comedy - then it changes to playing pranks at school - there is still a lot of action but somehow I felt that after episode 2 or 3 it went downhill.

So I would suggest - watch the first two episodes - they are the best of the series - decide if you watche the whole thing based on that. ok Thanks man! ill watch the first two episodes and see if i like it.

threewolves
06-06-2012, 07:37 PM
I enjoyed it, not my favorite since coming back to watching anime, but I definitely laughed a lot while watching it. My main complaint from it, was them not filling out one of the main characters reason for being there and having to wonder and guess why she was there.

~Fallen~Angel~
06-28-2012, 01:55 AM
My 1 complaint about Angel Beats is that they didn't show all of the main Battlefrontiers reasons for passing on. I loved TK but I was sad not to have his story explained.

Mini-Hawk
06-28-2012, 08:50 PM
I think my main problem with "Angel Beats!, was how short the story was. It should have had a few more episodes to explain a bit more. However i think what competed the show was the shows fantastic ending. It was very complete, and because of this, i wouldn't mind not having a second season.

/X Metal Sorenges x
07-22-2012, 01:42 PM
I thought the storyline in regards to Angel Beats was very interesting to say the least. Young teenagers/adults are brought to this afterlife and can only move on to the next life by accepting there fate from the real world. I do agree with everyone as the show ended much quicker then expected, they could have taken a bit more time to explain the stories of each individual person that got there but I do for certain understand the company only had the budget for a certain amount of episodes. The ending was very sad but this was defenitely quite the enjoyable anime, very humorous content aswell.

Aki_Mori
07-22-2012, 02:53 PM
I think it was okay. One of my favorite anime. But, I must agree how I didnt like the series length. I wish it was longer.

Sankyo Sentina
07-23-2012, 09:22 PM
Angel Beats has always been very special. Too bad there is only 14 episodes, come on.

Ayu 「あゆ」
07-23-2012, 09:46 PM
The first three episodes are my favorite. The third episode is the best of them all in my opinion, but I wish the story arcs were longer. Also, I liked Yuri's speech when she trapped as an AI in the class room. ANd the music was really good. It had potential to be a cartoon comedy sitcom.

darkrider21
08-20-2012, 10:58 PM
the story line was good the voices were nice and the plot was touching 8.5 out of 10

Karirie
08-29-2012, 02:11 PM
I would give this anime a 9/10. I love almost everything about this anime, the plot, characters, and the artwork. The only thing that bothered me was the voice acting. It was awkward to here Kanade's voice because it sounded to much like Kotomi's voice from Clannad. Same with Hinata and Tomoya. I know they have the same voice actors, but it just felt awkward and weird to here them sound so alike. Even though the voice acting bothered me, I think this anime is amazing and wonderful. :)

Wecc
09-07-2012, 04:33 PM
I really loved this anime. I enjoyed every episode. I felt like it good that it was short beause if they just did 20 episodes of people getting over their own problems feel like that would get boring fast. For some reason the entire time i was watching this i was hoping that they would get to the end and they would wake up to find that they werent dead and that is was the place people go when they have near death experiances.

cowtipper
09-07-2012, 05:13 PM
can someone please post a link to the episodes i can't find them

Ayu 「あゆ」
09-07-2012, 05:54 PM
can someone please post a link to the episodes i can't find them

http://www.hulu.com/angel-beats

http://social.zune.net/tv/series/Angel-Beats/62cd9c8c-74fc-433c-bfee-7f2ef7049299

Enjoy! :) It's an awesome anime and one of the few that is in HD

FatalEnd21
09-09-2012, 03:31 PM
Great review! This anime was an absolute 10/10 for me. There wasn't anything I didn't like. I thought the length was reasonable. I enjoyed both the English dub and Japanese dub.

MrRichie
11-19-2012, 02:07 PM
In my opinion this was a fantastic anime with a brilliant story, some of the funniest scenes i've seen in anime in a long time and characters that i could actually stand (which is rare for me). out of 10 i would give it a 9 because although it was good there were somethings that it was unfortunately lacking.

TheDeathGod
12-11-2012, 09:00 PM
I think the show was Great!But I wish if it was longer<..>

Darth幻
02-23-2013, 03:36 PM
Wait for the game presented by key, it will answer many questions in the TV series.

Kāito
02-24-2013, 07:42 AM
It was rushed + anime have a plot wholes but stil i like the anime so i give it : 7.5/10

Light Buster
02-26-2013, 11:15 AM
Loved this anime and the English voice acting IMO is also good as well. Probably one of the best and favorite animes I've watch so far.

meganpu
02-28-2013, 09:17 PM
that is owesome

xiroy
05-03-2013, 05:44 AM
I used this anime to lure my little brother to the anime world. hehe :D

Riamu.Midori
05-05-2013, 03:09 AM
I really like angel beats but it feels like it was rushed and not much thought was put into it but that being said I really love them moments that really do make me get the tissues out a prepare my self, but never mind about that I have watch every episode including episode 13.2 (but that's not really important) and it seems that it would of been much better if the anime was re-done with more episodes and it went more in depth with all the characters because you only learn about 4-5 peoples deaths and most of the characters seem to vanish close to the end with no real reason why.

So my final score on the anime would have to be 6/10.
The music was great and the characters are remediable but my only problem with the anime is the story it needs to be re-done in a better fashion. :3

Fuyu Suzuki
05-05-2013, 04:19 PM
i love angel beats its the best anime i've seen yet. i have seen it four times. i wish it didn't they could have made more they left so fast but it made me cry so much.
its my favorite anime :D.

B.Rabbit
07-03-2013, 03:16 AM
I love Angel beats. but as always i must say the english voice acting is terrible.
When you compare the scales of emotional vocal follow through the japanese voice actors surely win the day.
I love how when the anime starts you immediately know that Kanade isnt a bad girl even though they make her out to be. You just know from first glance.
Brilliant

Temitopesmith
07-05-2013, 04:48 AM
Yeah the translation is pretty bad i guess...the tv show is however quite great..i too love this show...

KillKaylaDead
07-05-2013, 06:35 AM
It's a show that definitely tugs on the heartstrings. The end of the show left me a mess. I was happy, depressed, smiling, crying... I just didn't know how to feel. Any show that has the power to do that is pretty amazing. :love:

qjackson
08-13-2013, 12:39 PM
Seeing how this is on Netflix I'll give it a shot, but before I do I have some questions. 1. Can I get away with watching the dub, and 2. is there a lot of fanservice.

RavenQueen
08-14-2013, 06:54 PM
one the best anime i have seen

Fringie
08-15-2013, 02:39 PM
Tbh, I really didn't like the first 3/4 (as in 75%) of the anime.. The end was simply brilliant though, it made the Anime worth watching and I really wanted to see more. It's a good Anime but their was a lot of parts I didn't like.

Fear me
08-22-2013, 08:08 PM
Great anime too short for the story. give it 9 out 10

Moira
08-23-2013, 10:40 PM
I cried at the end

Catokun
08-27-2013, 08:19 AM
It was an excellent anime overall. But I wanted to see the story of the lives of maybe some of the other characters and how they died.

Thefringedninja
09-01-2013, 11:43 AM
I would give this anime 7/10.
It has good characters, however at times they verged on wishy-washy and I wasn't really drawn to them, although everybody loves TK! XD
The music and animation was superb and I liked the general concept, but I felt it was a bit rushed and it would have been nice if we were able to see more back story behind the minor characters, e.g. why they were there and how they had become "fulfilled".
It was good, but nothing to write home about. XD

thelegend117
01-08-2014, 04:06 PM
I loved this anime and yes the ending was a happy sad one....i also like the original soundtrack for this anime.