PDA

View Full Version : Ever had trouble adjusting to non-animated tv/movies?

Jasanime
04-20-2012, 05:44 PM
Not sure if this even deserves a thread, or if it's posted in the right place, but anyway...
I recently went to the movies with friends. They chose the movie, it was some ancient Greek or Roman or Spartan? type action movie. There was quite a lot of blood and gore.

I used to love horror flicks but have not watched any for about 5 years, and since I have really only seen ANIMATED violence in that time, I found the movie violence quite horrifying! It was really quite a shock. I was like "Eeeeww.... that actually looks like blood..." *peeking through fingers over my eyes*

So has anyone else experienced anything like this? After watching nothing but anime for sometime, have you been surprised by any live action movies or TV?

Gyzra
04-20-2012, 08:56 PM
Not really like that as I tend to watch a lot of live action TV. However, I have found that I can barely read western comics anymore after reading so much manga. I open the book the wrong way, read back to front (often reading plot endings or punchlines first by accident -.-). Have you ever done that? Oddly though, i'm fine with novels, it's just comics that I struggle with.

Ayu 「あゆ」
04-21-2012, 01:00 AM
Yeah, Live Action is much more scary and grusome bcuz it is real and not a cartoon. Like I can't watch even half of the deaths in a Final Destination movie, and yet I watch Gasai Yuno murder like 50 people with an axe. But sometimes I feel an anime can be just as grusome sometimes like with Hellsing Ultimate; some of the stuff in that anime was still just too much for me...

Road
04-21-2012, 01:07 AM
Its not the scariness really thats feels different to me, im just not used to watching actual people, ya know? I watch so much anime that watching anything else seems too"fake" or too acted out. In animes the characters are actually pretty much playing themselves because that is how they are meant to be portrayed ALL OF THE TIME. Like say you see a movie with Johnny Depp in it. You know he is acting since you might recognize that not only do you see him on screen you see in on magazines on interviews etc.

Idk i might just be rambling xD

Explorer Oak
04-21-2012, 04:21 PM
Not sure if this even deserves a thread, or if it's posted in the right place, but anyway...
I recently went to the movies with friends. They chose the movie, it was some ancient Greek or Roman or Spartan? type action movie. There was quite a lot of blood and gore.

I used to love horror flicks but have not watched any for about 5 years, and since I have really only seen ANIMATED violence in that time, I found the movie violence quite horrifying! It was really quite a shock. I was like "Eeeeww.... that actually looks like blood..." *peeking through fingers over my eyes*

So has anyone else experienced anything like this? After watching nothing but anime for sometime, have you been surprised by any live action movies or TV?

Yes i have, but in that sence. I was on a strictly anime television streek a while back. When i started to watch all my favorite shows/movies again it was hard adjusting to some of the bad acting and just uninteresting plots. Lol, nothing compares now. But the gore has never been an issue. Oh and i'm not completely saying i favor anime over real actors or anything. There are
Alot of good movies with great plots actors etc. (V for Venddeta FTW! Lol) i'm mostly regarding tv shows and a few movies.

blueangel06661
04-21-2012, 08:03 PM

....Really? Thats like being surprised by real life? I mean watching real TV and movies is hardly any different than real life, only more exaggerated. I've watched tons of anime, but never have I gotten to the point that watching my own kind on TV is awkward.... What is this nonsense? Some people need lives

Jasanime
04-22-2012, 03:06 AM
blueangel06661 I think you missed my point. It was really just the blood and gore that made me uncomfortable, not the fact that it was 'real life' because I have only seen animated horror for the last 5 years, so when I saw it in live action it really took me by surprise.

blueangel06661
04-22-2012, 07:38 AM
blueangel06661 I think you missed my point. It was really just the blood and gore that made me uncomfortable, not the fact that it was 'real life' because I have only seen animated horror for the last 5 years, so when I saw it in live action it really took me by surprise.

Gunna freak out if you bleed since it's real? I don't know. I don't handle blood and gore as well anymore because hollywood makes it look 10x's more real than how they made my favorite classic horror movies look. Like IT. Not really because of how much anime I watch and that I'm shocked to see real looking blood as opposed to drawn blood.. o.o

But in the end since I'm in the film making business, it all be fake yo. Animated and live action so it doesn't really bother me too much.

Jasanime
04-22-2012, 04:25 PM
Gunna freak out if you bleed since it's real? I don't know. I don't handle blood and gore as well anymore because hollywood makes it look 10x's more real than how they made my favorite classic horror movies look. Like IT. Not really because of how much anime I watch and that I'm shocked to see real looking blood as opposed to drawn blood.. o.o

But in the end since I'm in the film making business, it all be fake yo. Animated and live action so it doesn't really bother me too much.

I actually don't have a problem with blood in real life. But I find it difficult to watch in movies which is strange since I used to LOVE horror and was like, the bloodier the better! But now that I'm older I really can't watch it....

plumpuff
04-23-2012, 06:17 AM
As a general rule, I dislike live-action. Obviously there are exceptions, but I tend to prefer anime, cartoons, Disney, etc. -- live-action stuff is overall weird for me to watch.

Munchman
04-25-2012, 01:21 PM
Yeah , i completely understand what you are saying. When i watch normal TV after a while of watching too much anime i am surprised by the lack of "Moe-ness" in western TV.

That and if i spend too much time in front of the computer playing videogames , when i finally get out of the house (this can take around 10 days if I'm in vacation) , I just start thinking "Man , reality looks way too real".

Chi The Sweet
04-25-2012, 01:29 PM
..it can be really weird sometimes after i watch anime for like thre hours and then glee it can be like omg ....why can there be an anime version of glee!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!