PDA

View Full Version : Sakamichi no Apollon (Kids on the Slope)

Gjallarhorn
04-12-2012, 10:05 PM
Set in 1966, Sakamichi no Apollon follows Kaoru Nishimi as he moves from his home. At his new school be befriends the local delinquint, and is introduced to jazz.

Now while that sounds pretty great, especially as someone who loves jazz, here's the kicker: it brings together one of the greatest anime directors, and the greatest anime composer, for the first time since Cowboy Bebop.

The director is Shinichiro Watanabe, who directed Cowboy Bebop, Samurai Champloo, and parts of The Animatrix.

The composer is Yoko Kanno, who...is basically the patron saint of music. She composed for Cowboy Bebop, Ghost in the Shell, Darker Than Black, several Macross series, etc., etc.

Explorer Oak
04-12-2012, 10:25 PM
Sounds good, where can i find this yo?

Gjallarhorn
04-12-2012, 10:40 PM
You can watch the legal simulcast with a free/trial account on Crunchyroll (http://www.crunchyroll.com/kids-on-the-slope/episode-1-moanin-595623).

LivioRazlo
04-13-2012, 03:43 AM
The first episode was really nice. The sailor guy in there is awesome. I have high hopes for this to be a really nice slice of life anime. Potential to be best this year.

Gjallarhorn
04-13-2012, 01:39 PM
The first episode was really nice. The sailor guy in there is awesome. I have high hopes for this to be a really nice slice of life anime. Potential to be best this year.

This.

I noticed that every note or beat played in the music was in-time with the animation, and the characters were actually playing the proper notes/chords/beats. I also liked that they threw in some Claude Debussy (Nishimi was playing "Clair de Lune" for his cousin on the piano) and Art Blakey.

LivioRazlo
04-13-2012, 02:08 PM
This.

I noticed that every note or beat played in the music was in-time with the animation, and the characters were actually playing the proper notes/chords/beats. I also liked that they threw in some Claude Debussy (Nishimi was playing "Clair de Lune" for his cousin on the piano) and Art Blakey.

yeah, really high class taste in music. Animation that is really supurb and fits the genre to the letter; definitely what i expect from the people that brought us cowboy bebop and literally manga itself. I got goosebumps when he played those drums. I am pretty certain this is going to find a prized place in my anime collection.

Darkhallows
04-14-2012, 03:18 PM
I couldn't be less interested in jazz music, but... with all the hype about it, maybe I'll give it a go. Would I still enjoy it?

Gjallarhorn
04-14-2012, 04:09 PM
I couldn't be less interested in jazz music, but... with all the hype about it, maybe I'll give it a go. Would I still enjoy it?

Maybe. At it's core it's still a regular school-life series; there will ultimately be personal drama, the making-and-breaking of friendships, and that sort of thing. But it is nevertheless a Noitamina (a timeblock featuring more art-y anime) series, and it's really being pitched toward musicians and music enthusiasts. That is where a lot of its depth is going to be, or where the depth of its characters and story are going to come from. In that sense, it's the first real music anime since Nodame Cantabile and BECK, but I don't think it holds the same mass-appeal value of either series. By comparison, Nodame Cantabile was driven by its character drama, and BECK was more focused on how bands and popular music function than on the music itself.

At first glance, I'd say its similar to the early volumes/episodes of BECK, but with more focus on music. It's pretty easy to draw a line between the roles of Sentaro to Nishimi and Ryuu to Koyuki.

FluffyDango
04-20-2012, 12:33 PM
I'm liking this one quite abit :)

What's another word for "cool" that they used back in the 60s or did they use "cool"? :P
Anyway, it's a cool anime xD

Gjallarhorn
04-20-2012, 01:53 PM
I'm liking this one quite abit :)

What's another word for "cool" that they used back in the 60s or did they use "cool"? :P
Anyway, it's a cool anime xD

They used "cool" at the time - not sure if they did in Japan, but certainly in the US. Incidentally, "cool" owes its modern usage to post-war jazz culture.

FluffyDango
04-20-2012, 02:11 PM
They used "cool" at the time - not sure if they did in Japan, but certainly in the US. Incidentally, "cool" owes its modern usage to post-war jazz culture.

Ah.
Then cool describes this anime perfectly xD