PDA

View Full Version : Will mankind destroy itself?

Konkulf
03-23-2012, 05:34 PM
The last hundred years, makind has experienced all kinds of cruelty and war, and i can't help but ask myself; Will mankind destroy itself one day?

Seeing the path we're going, with bigger and bigger wars, with bigger and bigger weapons, i just can't see how this is going to end well. Are we going to kill eachother off some day, or will we find a way to go around the problem of hate and war?

Another big problem we're facing, is pollution, which WILL leave our planet uninhabitable if we don't do something about it, and that'll have to be VERY soon.

I've just been pondering about it a lot lately, and i wan't to find out what you guys/girls might think about the problems humanity is facing at the moment, and is there a way to resolve them?

Eris
03-23-2012, 05:37 PM
I doubt we will destroy ourselves through war. We've already built weapons so big they can't actually be used. That's why the cold war didn't actually turn into WWIII: The attacking side would be absolutely destroyed by the other side's counter attack.

Even though we can (and have) built stuff like

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LxD44HO8dNQ

doesn't mean we will actually ever use them, or even build them again. They are simply not a very effective weapon of war, because of how ridiculously undirected their damage is.

Man-made ecological disaster is far more likely than war, if you ask me.

Hakoshi
03-23-2012, 05:50 PM
I've been thinking about that too sometimes, I mean the more and more the years go by, the more "angrier" and "violent" everyone seems to get, well some do
but I guess that's very normal for people, since in every place there's always our little bunch of angry people who wont fail to come by and ruin everyones moment xD
we might destroy each other, but will we be around to see the chaos and whatnot?
Maybe not.

all in all mankinds destruction will creep on us slowly, all happens slow lol
(plus, we are pretty much killing each other, hence the murderes, suicides, and whatnot other things... )

Eris
03-23-2012, 05:55 PM
People aren't getting angrier, you are just getting more aware of how angry people are. You're pretty sheltered from that stuff when you're a kid.

Konkulf
03-23-2012, 06:01 PM
I agree with Eris with the fact that the likeliest thing to happen is that we will create an Ecological Disaster (which is quite good in the making already if you ask me), which will in the long run result in the Earth remaining uninhabitable.

Extinction through direct warfare is highly unlikely, though the effects of them might be what that kills us. I read about a concept called Nuclear Winter (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nuclear_winter) the other day, though not very likely to happen in a while (or ever for that matter) it is possible for it to happen, but that will require massive amounts of Nuclear Missiles/bombs to be dropped at around the same time to create that sort of effect, which just seems way too unlikely to ever happen.

marvelangga
03-23-2012, 10:37 PM
Man-made ecological disaster is far more likely than war, if you ask me.
This. I think humanity is more concerned with preserving their own species rather than destroying themselves.

BluGru Mitsuo (Tori)
03-23-2012, 10:53 PM
it will probably will it depends on which country or contienient starts first!!!! D: I would say it will be a WW3 pretty soon here cause of everyone's economy!!! D:

Cantelope
03-24-2012, 03:24 PM
I'd discuss this, but I think Michio Kaku says it much more eloquently than I could.

http://youtu.be/7NPC47qMJVg

Wio
03-24-2012, 07:02 PM
I think both war and ecological disaster are highly unlikely to kill off mankind. People in power generally aren't willing to engage in mutually assured destruction, and our species is really good at adapting to ecological situations when environmentalists aren't preventing them from doing so.

CrimsonMoon
03-24-2012, 08:32 PM
No, I don't think it's likely that mankind will destroy itself through wars. There's always a side that will win, so we're not completely wiped out.

I agree with Eris, we're more likely to be destroyed due to ecological disasters sooner or later. True, we can adapt, but there's always a limit to adaptation. In the end, nature always wins. All of the natural disasters are happening more frequently now and people are dying. It's more likely that people will die unexpectedly in natural disasters than from wars, where you still have the chance to flee to other countries and such. In case of sudden natural disasters, you have little to no chance of fleeing.

Should we be worried about zombie outbreak? Lol. Some serious website about zombies. http://zombieresearchsociety.com/ It's funny that we prepare more for zombie outbreak than caring about the earth. ._.

Explorer Oak
03-24-2012, 09:15 PM
Such a sad topic, unavoidable though. To me, mankind has been on a path to self destruction from the begining. I prefer to live in ignorance just because theres not much i can do about these problems.. But how i wish i could! ;^; only death can set us free!

Datenshi
03-24-2012, 10:58 PM
Personally, I'm somewhat skeptical of thinking of "man (art)" and "nature" as distinctly separate things in the first place. It's a particular and distinctively modern form of thought that traces back to Descartes and Hobbes (Aristotle made no such distinction).

Man and everything that man does takes place within, and is part of, nature. If mankind destroys itself, it will only be nature readjusting itself.

Volta
03-24-2012, 11:30 PM
Either way, destruction is inevitable.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=didzxUkrtS0

T-Stew
03-26-2012, 03:23 AM
I think we are far more likely to ruin the planet. Most people do not live sustainably (is that a word?), our rivers and lakes are being polluted to where you can't eat the fish, emissions from coal and other industry is creating acid rain, landfills are popping up everywhere, forests are being cut down... I think ever since industry and technology came about the planet has been doomed. Were just using up all the natural resources, and creating waste. And the population is exploding.

Wars... I dont know. There have always been wars, and they were just as violent. Think of how much more violent having to hack at someone with a sword is, with them staring back at you while your blade cuts their flesh and organs, their blood splattering on your face. Now-a-days thats done far away by pressing a button without even seeing the face of the enemy. But our weapons are becoming much more powerful. With the threat of mutual annihilation I dont think wars will ever escalate to that level but who knows.

I think we are much more likely to simply ruin the planet. But even if we clean up our act and become peaceful, the Earth will still be destroyed eventually one way or another. Whether by natural disaster within the planet, or cosmic event, it will eventually perish. If nothing else, the sun is expanding and long before it becomes a red giant it will have increased in size where the earth will be within the sun eventually, and everything on it will have long since been cooked. That wont be for many thousands of years though, if we actually make it that long I hope we have the means to find another planet by then.

Samuru
03-26-2012, 03:41 AM
Humanity has been nothing but ignorant in the thousands of years that our species exists. We neglect wildlife, nature, even our fellow man. We do not deserve any better than extinction, as every living creature in the universe will be better off without us, except ourselves, of course. We're destroying everything we came in contact with. We're even so sick as to enslave our own species. All that man has ever been about, is supremacy. Over everything. It disgusts me. So much slaughter, killing and homicide could be avoided if we stopped being selfish, and cared for others. We're split apart, by countries and languages, by distance and belief. It's still completely unknown to me why we can't just be normal...

People yell the Earth's pollution is destroying our very home, but there is no one who is willing to take action. I prefer living in the Dark Ages any day over the disgusting way we live now.

There is no problem facing us, we are the problem.

Rylingo
03-26-2012, 11:35 AM
Nope. I don't think so.

As we continue with scientific discoveries we will inevitably shape the world so that it is sustainable for us. My main worry is about huge earth ending game changers like supervolcanoes and meteors etc. I don't think a smaller disaster could finish us. We are too awesome for that.

In0kz
03-26-2012, 01:42 PM
A war to end all of man is not that likely but to say that we build weapons to strong to use is wrong. there might not be time or place now but then again if a big country like america or Russia would face an invasion that where to be successful I don't think they would hesitate for more then a moment to start this war. This said I don't think we would go extinct though.

About destroying nature and making the planet uninhabitable is also rather unlikely in my eyes. Mankind might not survive if something of enough scale were to happen but to say it will make our planet uninhabitable is an overstatement. The planet has adapted to things many times worse then we humans can possible create before and survive.

Chigumi
03-26-2012, 02:18 PM
50% chance.
Its either US or FORCE OF NATURE that will kill us ;)

Aleyna
04-06-2012, 03:33 AM
The Martians and Goblins are going to end up killing us all. Oh noes!*gasp* =-O

Super Destroyer #5
05-29-2013, 07:48 AM
Not if I do it first.

nslay
05-29-2013, 08:14 AM
The Yellowstone Supervolcano will beat us to it ... maybe.

WBL Studios
05-29-2013, 12:17 PM

Sorry, but if falling off of the Hell in a Cell, then falling THROUGH the ceiling of Hell in a Cell, then getting all those thumbtacks didn't destroy Mankind, NOTHING WILL.

.:neuko:.
06-05-2013, 11:22 AM
Ultimately? No, but the way things are going, we're well on the verge of tipping the natural scale that may well render entire countries uninhabitable. Some have even gone so far as to suggest that an ecological disaster should have happened, which is to imply that we're running on borrowed time.

aether
06-05-2013, 01:34 PM
Standing here
I realize you were just like me
trying to make history.
But who's to judge
the right from wrong?
When our guard is down
I think we'll both agree
that violence breeds violence.
But in the end
it has to be this way.

I've cut my own path,
you've followed your wrath,
but maybe we're both the same.
The world has turned
so many have burned,
but nobody is to blame.

Staring across this barren wasteland
I feel new life will be born
beneath the bloodstained sand.

I think these lyrics best describe mankind in a way when it comes to war

Hood Rat Music
06-05-2013, 11:45 PM
Nah, Mankind will be saved by friendly Aliens.

Reputable politicians (lol, reputable politicians) are already admitting aliens are real, we've established contact, and they're still lurking around on the planet and other such things.

But there's several tinfoil hat worthy conspiracies that go along with that of course :c

Anoleis
06-06-2013, 02:33 AM
If anything wipes us out, it'll be the unforeseen consequences of good intentions. Abuse of anti-biotics has already given rise to MDR and XDR disease. Something to that nature will end us. Or the sun exploding. Maybe we'll make the sun explode. Quite frankly, I'd rather focus on expanding beyond Earth. Limiting ourselves to a single place of existence is also a good way to be wiped out.

SolanaNight
06-06-2013, 12:21 PM
Yes, yes it will. It won't happen immediately, but it will.

Kumagawa
06-06-2013, 01:17 PM
thousand years ago there were only a few million people and now thereŽs like 7 billion so weŽre doing pretty good IŽd say.

aether
06-06-2013, 02:56 PM
What's the point anyway? The universe is gonna end one day in some big crush thingybob so whatever we do now to preserve ourselves is a futile gesture against an inevitable end

Anoleis
06-06-2013, 03:12 PM
What's the point anyway? The universe is gonna end one day in some big crush thingybob so whatever we do now to preserve ourselves is a futile gesture against an inevitable end
I'd rather exist for a couple more years. That we won't have a choice tomorrow doesn't mean we should squander the choices given to us today.

aether
06-06-2013, 03:43 PM
I'd rather exist for a couple more years. That we won't have a choice tomorrow doesn't mean we should squander the choices given to us today.

I was joking about doing nothing, that's my type of humour

Hadokant
06-06-2013, 10:20 PM
"It matters not who you are, death awaits you" -Nyx Avatar

dragoninja
07-05-2013, 05:00 AM
mankind will change. it can never be destroyed. thats the beauty about it. humans die but the race is indestructable. war is just stupid. if you want to die for a corrupt corperate world government that conroles the masses then you need help friend because life is about happyness and freedom. not killing and living in fear

Tenrou Nogitsune
07-05-2013, 10:14 AM
Mankind is inevitably doomed.

Wio
07-05-2013, 11:52 AM
Man kinda doesn't need to actually change its habits. Science will solve most of the environmental problems progressives constantly moan about.

RainyDayMan
07-06-2013, 11:17 PM
We will be destroyed by fat Men from the Planet called Spiegel as they devour all Potato Pancakes and Doughnuts.