PDA

View Full Version : Sex offender advocacy organization tries to cover-up its connections to NAMBLA

OperationAvalanche
03-16-2012, 02:28 AM
Recently it was uncovered that an organization advocating for the abolition of sex offender laws, known as ReformSexOffenderLaws.Org was being operated by the same man that had founded NAMBLA: Tom Reeves. Realizing how damaging this information was to the future of the ReformSexOffenderLaws.Org campaign, they sent us the attached PDF document which attempts to use legals threats to bully us into silence. Please pass this information onto others!

Anoleis
03-16-2012, 02:41 AM
I'm trying to muster the will to care about a joke of an organization.
Give it a secondOh, wait, I think it's here.Nope, just gas.

marvel_phoenix
03-16-2012, 04:51 PM
First off, I'm not sure whether to take this serious or not, considering the PDF copy of the letter kept wanting to open some rambling web address. :(

If this is for real, then limited use of their work may fall under the U.S. Fair Use (http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/17/107) clause. Particularly:

...the fair use of a copyrighted work, including such use by reproduction in copies or phonorecords or by any other means specified by that section, for purposes such as criticism, comment, news reporting, teaching (including multiple copies for classroom use), scholarship, or research, is not an infringement of copyright.

I am by no means a Copyright Attorney or an expert in such matters, but as long as you stay away from defamatory and libelous remarks and keep from posting their website in all of it's entirety, they shouldn't have enough clout to get you for much, if anything.

OperationAvalanche
03-18-2012, 02:15 AM
If this is for real, then limited use of their work may fall under the U.S. Fair Use (http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/17/107) clause. Particularly:

I tend to agree, in fact I'm fairly confidently that legally they don't have a leg to stand on. It still doesn't negate the fact that they're attempting to bully us in keeping their dirty secret quiet.

The ReformSexOffenderLaws.Org campaign is Reeves' more moderate attempt at achieving what NAMBLA failed to do. They recruited the women and family members of sex offenders to push their unpopular agenda.