PDA

View Full Version : AkanoYoru's Artness

AkanoYoru
03-10-2012, 03:28 PM
Hello.
I stumbled across this forum on one of my random web adventures, and decided to join for the heck of it.
It will also allow me a place to show off my art and talk about my favorite anime. (which reminds me, I need to try to draw Haruhi at some point)

First attempt using my tablet:
http://fc08.deviantart.net/fs70/i/2012/040/9/0/first_digitally_inked_picture_by_akanoyoru-d4p6sau.jpg

A drawing of Holo:

http://th00.deviantart.net/fs70/PRE/i/2012/040/e/3/attempt_at_holo_by_akanoyoru-d4p6xbk.jpg

Digital Version:

http://fc03.deviantart.net/fs71/i/2012/042/6/7/holo_by_akanoyoru-d4pbqea.jpg

Note: Spice and Wolf has a special place among the anime I watched, as it is pretty much the first anime I watched. As such, I try to make my art do the show justice, which is why it took me about 3 years to have the ability to draw Holo at a quality that is to my liking.

A Halo-style AI

http://fc03.deviantart.net/fs71/i/2012/042/1/f/data_girl_by_akanoyoru-d4pfqr7.jpg

A random character for no reason:

http://fc07.deviantart.net/fs70/i/2012/044/6/b/emily_of_the_pudding_by_akanoyoru-d4pk34d.jpg

Character:
http://i758.photobucket.com/albums/xx229/GMer56/Image001.jpg

Webcomic Cover:
http://i758.photobucket.com/albums/xx229/GMer56/coverbsmall.jpg

3d model for upcoming Cosplay at Anime Boston (Guyver unit 01)
http://i758.photobucket.com/albums/xx229/GMer56/Guyverwhole1.jpg

You may all yell at me now for this silly post :D

T-Stew
03-12-2012, 12:57 PM
Cool stuff! And a wide range from hand drawing to 3d modeling. Keep up the good work. I dont have enough expertise to offer advise however.

AkanoYoru
03-19-2012, 08:08 PM
Made a shiny background for my webcomic (linky in sig if you're interested).

Yes, I finally figured out how to use the picture settings on the forum :cool:

Miss Manipulation
03-19-2012, 08:16 PM
Careful with anatomy! You don't want to make any features on a person way too point when it comes to anime and manga (mainly referring to that background for your webcomic you just posted). You also want to make sure that your character's hair does not defy gravity (6th link). Other than that, these are pretty good. Keep up the good work!

AkanoYoru
03-20-2012, 09:47 AM
Careful with anatomy! You don't want to make any features on a person way too point when it comes to anime and manga (mainly referring to that background for your webcomic you just posted). You also want to make sure that your character's hair does not defy gravity (6th link). Other than that, these are pretty good. Keep up the good work!
I know what you mean, I just realized how wonky Winter's anatomy looks in my wallpaper.
The hair gravity defying thing was because I was too lazy to figure out how it would actually fall... plus I drew it during my microeconomics class :)

It's also nice to see some feedback.

AkanoYoru
04-30-2012, 02:16 PM
After an epic journey to train my art skills (in my own proverbial backyard) I have something to post, yay.

I think I managed to capture the "aura" of my pencil drawings by using GIMP's "Calligraphic Brush".

I'm thinking she'll be another character in my webcomic, with this outfit being when the group of main characters (her included) go to an anime convention.. I have yet to go to one myself, as I caught a fever the day before Anime Boston :(

AkanoYoru
05-29-2012, 02:26 PM
Well, been about a month since I posted... I like to hope that I've improved:
More towards the bishonen end of the spectrum than what I usually do :3

For some reason the top of his head seems empty... all well, maybe I can try some more detail on the hair later.

shadow62
05-30-2012, 10:00 AM
dude, those pics are freaky, a little kid can get thier ghost out of them.

AkanoYoru
05-31-2012, 08:18 PM
dude, those pics are freaky, a little kid can get thier ghost out of them.

I'm afraid I don't quite understand what you mean, although from the grammar you chose to use it must not be important, I'll ask for your advice if I ever want to draw anthropomorphic cartoon hedgehogs based on animation to make one remember the spontaneity and innocence of childhood (and bad 3d games). :)

Anyway, new piece using a few new techniques:

Oh, and here's a fun fact: I draw in secret as a result of ridicule from my family when I was in grade school (think piranha attack), so I have a small mental block where I cannot practice as much as I would like... but still I'm not completely hopeless, right?

Jacob's Ladder
06-01-2012, 12:40 AM
I like your style...it's not bad at all. And I know what you mean about the family ridicule. But I live on my own...so don't worry much. Keep it up. And if you don't mind check out my thread...let me know what you think too.

And like Miss Moonlight said just practice your anatomy more...ok.

AkanoYoru
06-01-2012, 07:48 AM
The coloring is quite impressive, but the unbalanced proportions and stiffness is pretty much detectable. Good work overall. =9
Yeah, its especially noticeable when I mirror it horizontally :rolleyes:

I like your style...it's not bad at all. And I know what you mean about the family ridicule. But I live on my own...so don't worry much. Keep it up. And if you don't mind check out my thread...let me know what you think too.

And like Miss Moonlight said just practice your anatomy more...ok.

I didn't know I had a style. Guess I learn something new every day :)

My main anatomical reference (when I actually use one) is DAZ studio. The free version is awesome, I would use it more were I not worried about my (older) brothers giggling.

I've visited your thread a few times, your work is great. I'm going to college for studio art this fall, so I hope by the time I get my degree I will be completely satisfied with my work (which I rarely am).

But these two drawings I did the other day I am nearly satisfied with:

63016 63017

I'm much more comfortable with a paper and pencil than a tablet.

Finally here's a DAZ Studio Render I'm proud of (which has been sitting around a while). Took 15 minutes with 100% processor power, heating my laptop up to 83 Celsius with a cooling pad hot wired to be on max power. Thus I want to get a nice tower (and give my laptop some well-deserved rest).

^ My mother (of all people) made some slightly lewd comments about this one. But despite the disjointed appearance of the armor, hands and weapon I kinda like it. I might try reworking it.

Chi The Sweet
06-01-2012, 08:13 AM
really great..i like them i draw better with basic pencil and paper ...and i wish i had a tablet so i could show you how i can draw on the computer that way it probally would look good.....its weird i better at drawing girls than guys im working on my guys though......i like to make my own characters though........they look sexy......i will draw ecchii for any guys if they want me to..i will im good at it!! ;D

AkanoYoru
06-01-2012, 09:10 AM
its weird i better at drawing girls than guys

Girls are more visually interesting (curves! Curves everywhere!), and female characters can get away with more stuff than male characters *cough* Haruhi Suzumiya *cough*

Jacob's Ladder
06-01-2012, 11:37 AM
Girls are more visually interesting (curves! Curves everywhere!), and female characters can get away with more stuff than male characters *cough* Haruhi Suzumiya *cough*
I totally agree with you there. And you certainly have the sexiness of a woman's body down right. lol Guys are more difficult for me, as the body is bulkier, heavier in mass and postures that a male may take is so different from a female. But I really like your female drawings...and that 3D render is awesome! Love girls in glasses! Plus don't let anyone ever discourage you...especially your family. You have a talent that not just anyone can do, so I can't understand why your mother would do it?

And how come I never get offered any ecchi drawings...*grrr*

AkanoYoru
06-01-2012, 11:15 PM
I totally agree with you there. And you certainly have the sexiness of a woman's body down right. lol Guys are more difficult for me, as the body is bulkier, heavier in mass and postures that a male may take is so different from a female. But I really like your female drawings...and that 3D render is awesome! Love girls in glasses! Plus don't let anyone ever discourage you...especially your family. You have a talent that not just anyone can do, so I can't understand why your mother would do it?

And how come I never get offered any ecchi drawings...*grrr*

My mother is kinda silly, and not very open minded (I could give a list but I won't), but on the other hand my father is very open minded. Most of the encouragement I get is from him... it doesn't help that a little over a year ago was the last "heart-to-heart" chat I had with my parents. My mother thought I was crazy (my dad helped me sort things out)... but the way she spoke and looked at me... I wouldn't want that to happen to anyone. And that is why I have a tendency to keep my true feelings to myself. This is sorta relevant to my art I guess, as my primary motivation is to become good enough at drawing to sustain myself and not have to deal with my childish older siblings (and my somewhat detached relationship with my mother).

For some reason now I'm thinking of a freight train...

Anyway, and the 3d render is actually a test for a character design. Below is the final face reference sheet for my webcomic (the website of which is under construction, meaning I have to code in all the pages I did so far by hand).

I feel so fulfilled when I'm working on my drawings :D
After viewing some pieces by Tony Taka (who I discovered thanks to the magic of 4chan) I'm going to try a new technique with my tablet tomorrow... well, not so much new, as it's similar to the method I use for pencil drawings.

And to say goodnight, here's a pic I did today. The sword is based on one I saw while watching Fairy Tail, when Erza summoned the hundreds of swords I saw just one that I loved, and the little lady below is leaning on it 83

I love how the outfit turned out.

AkanoYoru
06-03-2012, 04:50 PM
In celebration of the lack of summer in Vermont:

AkanoYoru
06-06-2012, 11:09 PM
Well, I got bored. So I started to study some anatomy using DAZ studio. After fiddling around I used it to help me construct this:

Guess who discovered the airbrush tool? Me!

First time I've successfully created a moe-faced character like this ^_^

AkanoYoru
06-10-2012, 05:17 PM
Quadruple POST!!! MWA HA HA!

Anyway, yesterday I got some art pencils, and had some time today to do some drawing... I've always had a slight fondness for those little bun things that look like ears... I don't know why.

I used no references oddly enough... just thought long and hard :tongue:

Digimon_Sommelier::
06-12-2012, 04:45 PM
AkanoYoru: Nice sketches and colored drawings, COOL! Keep up the awesome, stellar work! :D

My Wi-Fi, it's gone out . . .

AkanoYoru
06-12-2012, 08:32 PM
Got bored, made a background:

AkanoYoru
06-13-2012, 10:33 AM
Woah, I just noticed how derpy the background looks: I'll work on it.
Anyway.
Halftones? Halftones :)

Edit: Background now looks less derpy, see?

AkanoYoru
06-17-2012, 08:16 PM
So I started having fun with halftones and the ink tool in gimp. And awesome faces :rolleyes:
Please excuse the size.

Jacob's Ladder
06-17-2012, 08:21 PM
Whoa...the tones are not the only nice thing about this pick. Why do I feel jealous of a smiley face?

AkanoYoru
06-17-2012, 08:36 PM
Whoa...the tones are not the only nice thing about this pick. Why do I feel jealous of a smiley face?

Awesome face is awesome. It's not like...uh... I put anything under there *changes subject*

Working on my webcomic. Here's a character with some halftones.

A random bubbly person and an upset schoolgirl -first time trying to draw a Japanese-ish schoolgirl :laugh:

63396 63397

I've been working on anatomy a bit. Can't wait to get back to basics this upcoming fall.

threewolves
06-17-2012, 09:04 PM
Really nice work, plus your first set of drawings has one of my favorite characters so far, Holo. :) Thanks for sharing and looking forward to more artwork to view.

Jacob's Ladder
06-17-2012, 09:13 PM
The tone looks a little too much in some areas. Plus, you want to shade where the clothes fold or wrinkle at the elbows, underarms, waist, and shoulders. Plus, the girls expressions are cute. really like the shocked or unnerved looked.

You should really think about using Sketchbook pro...especially with a tablet.

AkanoYoru
06-17-2012, 10:45 PM
The tone looks a little too much in some areas. Plus, you want to shade where the clothes fold or wrinkle at the elbows, underarms, waist, and shoulders. Plus, the girls expressions are cute. really like the shocked or unnerved looked.

You should really think about using Sketchbook pro...especially with a tablet.

At least I'm doing something right. Clothes have always been my bane :tongue:

Sketchbook pro? For once an autodesk software that does not cost zillions of dollars? (I'm looking at you, 3ds max!) Currently downloading the trial. If I like it I might pay the $59 or head over to amazon... and to do that I need money, and to get money I need a job, and with 7/10 young people in my area jobless this summer...

I've tried paint tool sai and adobe illustrator, but didn't particularly like them. Sai didn't have the features I needed (although I love how one can rotate the canvas) and illustrator didn't have an intuitive interface.

AkanoYoru
06-18-2012, 04:37 PM
Tried combining halftones with shading. And pink hair. Excuse the ginormous size XD

AkanoYoru
06-20-2012, 02:36 PM
Worked yesterday and today on this:

63465 63466
(Before and after post work)

I had some fun with the newsprint filter. During this I discovered one of my RAM chips must be loose, as I only had 2GB RAM available (out of 4) and was using it all XD

Nyaa?

Jacob's Ladder
06-20-2012, 04:18 PM
Oh...wow!

AkanoYoru
06-21-2012, 01:23 PM
I've been scrutinizing some of Tony Taka's work (the spelling of the artist's name is killing me) and have done some experimenting with the catgirl pic. Oh, and I added a nice pink background.

Mugiwara-no-Basuke
06-21-2012, 06:18 PM
Your drawings are pretty good, I just LOVE the digital ones, good work!

AkanoYoru
06-21-2012, 07:35 PM
Your drawings are pretty good, I just LOVE the digital ones, good work!

I love the digital ones too. They're so much fun, especially when coloring.

Edit:
So I finally read the forum rules (I've been winging it so far) and decided to start trying to conserve post count (there's something like a 250 post limit before deletion to save space on the server, and I wanna be a good user).
I also started fooling around with Paint Tool Sai after my curiosity got the best of me (and growing bored with GIMP 2.6). This below took me about 10 minutes (at most) fooling around with some tools.

On a non-art related note, I went to the transfer orientation for my college and I'm even more exited to go, the campus is awesome, facilities are great and good (stupidly liberal) student body. Oh yeah, I'm also cannot wait to go as my mother called me a "lazy good-for-nothing" because I forgot a piece of paperwork. And my family thinks I'm the weird one :rolleyes:
Forgive me if I seem like I'm a venting whiny emo :laugh:

AkanoYoru
07-06-2012, 12:13 PM
Tramatizing parental insults aside, I embarked on a character study over the last few days, scrutinizing Fujiyoshi Harumi from Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei in order to attempt the capture of a more delicate form of character than I have been doing. Here's the results of my work after a good half-dozen attempts.

I hate to toot my own horn, but I think she looks adorable :3

She's a modification of a character (Winter Farthing) for my webcomic which is currently on haitus because my home has a life-sucking atmosphere.

Mugiwara-no-Basuke
07-06-2012, 12:51 PM
Really like that last drawing :D Should colour it :)

AkanoYoru
07-08-2012, 07:40 PM
I think this is the first time I ever did a drawing with more than one person in it. The hands look a little funny, but I'll fix that when I digitize it. It took 4 drawings (including the concept pic) to get this :)

This is the main(ish) cast of Metal Solstice (mah webcomic). The characters from left to right are Lily Thompson, Jim Nages, Bob Wallace and Winter Farthing (who is reading q manga if you couldn't tell from the backwards-ness of the book).

Mugiwara-no-Basuke
07-09-2012, 10:10 AM
Very well done for the first group drawing, AkanoYoru :)
Just the tallest guy's expression and face is kinda wierd :P

Once again I think you should really colour them :D

AkanoYoru
07-16-2012, 06:45 PM
Just quickly scanned a picture from my sketchbook. Behold!

Mugiwara-no-Basuke
07-16-2012, 06:52 PM
Nice drawing again AkanoYoru, the same girl as in posts #37 and 35# right?
I really like those two objects (dunno what to call them) behind her, also her clothes are really really great, that's the best I see in your drawing.
However, I think her hair is the most negative thing as it seems almost like melting on the top right and in right bottom that hank seems pretty misfit.
Also, I think both her glasses and eyes are kinda big but I guess that's proposited :)

Keep posting your drawings, thanks for sharing these one more :D

Jacob's Ladder
07-17-2012, 08:30 PM
I really like the uniform...but what is that hanging on the chains?

Mugiwara-no-Basuke
07-17-2012, 08:39 PM
I really like the uniform...but what is that hanging on the chains?

I'm pretty curious to know what's that as well :p

AkanoYoru
07-18-2012, 04:42 PM
I'm pretty curious to know what's that as well :p

I'll scan a pic later. I just had to take apart my computer and bypass the power supply for the internal fan. Now my laptop sounds like an airplane, has a USB cord sticking out of it and stays at a balmy 62C at most :)

Mugiwara-no-Basuke
07-18-2012, 05:06 PM
I'll scan a pic later. I just had to take apart my computer and bypass the power supply for the internal fan. Now my laptop sounds like an airplane, has a USB cord sticking out of it and stays at a balmy 62C at most :)

Ah ah :p Looking foward to see that pic :)

AkanoYoru
07-18-2012, 06:33 PM
Ah ah :p Looking foward to see that pic :)
Drew it during my breaks at work today... so it still isn't done XD

Mugiwara-no-Basuke
07-18-2012, 06:35 PM
Drew it during my breaks at work today... so it still isn't done XD

Ok, guess it shouldn't be easy to finish it that way :p

AkanoYoru
07-18-2012, 08:48 PM
Ok, guess it shouldn't be easy to finish it that way :p
Indeed. While the environment at the ice cream factory is nice, the work is the definition of my personal hell: tasks monotonous enough to be boring but complicated enough not to be able to think of anything else. Good thing I developed a sort of second consciousness to help in those sorts of situations... at least the job is only until the end of the summer, if I can survive the anxiety I get the night before I have work :/

On a different note, pictures:

Drew these at work during break over the past 2 days (just finished the furthest left one a minute ago, not during work)

The complete feminine mech is below, guess which character pilots it :)

Oh yeah. Since I had to reboot my computer (due to it derping) I lost some files, including my Digital Art folder, Lol folder, over half of my anime art morgue and a small bit of my sanity. On the plus side my computer is actually running wicked cool: 38 C!

Did a render to test the temperature, only 2 degree increase, yay! Here is the render:

DAZ Studio FTW

Mugiwara-no-Basuke
07-18-2012, 08:50 PM
Leaving now, I'll be sure to reply and comment your last works :)

Jacob's Ladder
07-18-2012, 09:15 PM
Wow! It's funny the first armor in the background looked like a Gears of War armor. Like the relaxed laid back drawing. The rendering is awesome. Did you do that one at work too??

AkanoYoru
07-18-2012, 10:35 PM
The rendering is awesome. Did you do that one at work too??

My work consists of hauling around unboxing ingredients for Ben & Jerry's Ice cream for 8 hours. Whee.

The first armor I was more inspired by various mechs, including the chestpiece of Madox unit 0 in the OVA "Metal Skin Panic Madox 01"

Jacob's Ladder
07-18-2012, 11:15 PM
The rendering is awesome. Did you do that one at work too??

My work consists of hauling around unboxing ingredients for Ben & Jerry's Ice cream for 8 hours. Whee.

The first armor I was more inspired by various mechs, including the chestpiece of Madox unit 0 in the OVA "Metal Skin Panic Madox 01"

It's a job that pays money...did warehouse work when I was in Highschool/college. Hard as hell packing pallets, and loading trailers with produce, machine parts, and basically everything else for 14 hours a day.

And I loved Madox 01...I still liked the scene where the main character tried eating ramen and shrimp while stuck in the armor.

AkanoYoru
07-19-2012, 12:09 AM
It's a job that pays money...did warehouse work when I was in Highschool/college. Hard as hell packing pallets, and loading trailers with produce, machine parts, and basically everything else for 14 hours a day.

And I loved Madox 01...I still liked the scene where the main character tried eating ramen and shrimp while stuck in the armor.

Money is good :)

I also love the Armor in Madox 01. I actually have some plans to build a similar (functional) suit, however I would be cheating with the mechanics.

Update:
Tried drawing in a bit of a different style (more realistic I think). I also broke out my markers and derped it up XD

Herpaderp

AkanoYoru
07-23-2012, 07:47 PM
After studying a few of Tony Taka's pictures (my favorite ecchi artist, apparently 4chan's favorite too) I have made thus. There's a few things I'd like to fix, but you know how permanent ink is - no pun intended:)

Studying = ranting, banging head against table, loosing control of extremities, throwing paper and pencils, and listening to Ironmaiden.

I'm currently experimenting with digital coloring using paint tool sai.

AkanoYoru
07-27-2012, 10:19 PM
Well, my parents expect me to play the part of the stupid child. This I dislike, however the alternative is going crazy. There would be a lot of yelling and screaming and I don't want that. It was bad enough I had chest pains a few months ago during the school semester to the point where I could barely get up in the morning. I don't need that again, so I'm just going to read my lines for the next 28 days until I leave for college... sigh.

Despite these personal issues, I have some new art:
Since my character study of Tony Taka's work, I think my faces have been starting to look better - at least the one's I finish anyway:3

Jacob's Ladder
07-28-2012, 10:38 AM
Nice improvement!! The smaller eye set really works for your character design. I like it a lot. It's refreshing seeing you use different design techniques with your art. And you gotta love those form fitting flight suites for the ladies! XD

Keep up the great work, and what is going on with your family?? Seriously...you need to get out.

AkanoYoru
07-28-2012, 10:19 PM
Nice improvement!! The smaller eye set really works for your character design. I like it a lot. It's refreshing seeing you use different design techniques with your art. And you gotta love those form fitting flight suites for the ladies! XD

Keep up the great work, and what is going on with your family?? Seriously...you need to get out.

Spandex is godly in anime, its everywhere O.o
The only way to describe my family is that they are childish. They whine about every little aspect of their lives to each other, and have their moments of racism and being hypocritically prudish, with my mother being childishly critical of me (facial blemishes, shirts, etc), and both my parents being very condescending. E.G. I mentioned that I would like to try to study abroad in college, and they tell me what I already know and jest (however this is also present in my brothers). Not to mention in their speech pattern there is the stressing of syllables as that of a child.
Regrettably I have about 27 more days until I leave for college (August 26th, YES!) but then my parents want to meet me in the city my college resides in every week. Last year I webcammed with them every week (and kept in touch via text message on an almost daily basis).
I don't want to have a "heart to heart" chat because the last time I really said what was on my mind my mother thought I was crazy, a feeling which still haunts me to this day.
On the plus side I have a cat (who I raised since he was about 2 weeks old or so the summer before I started high school) who's antics and presence helps me - mainly by rubbing his soft, furry belly.

Well, enough about that. I have a mech concept below. Proportions aren't exactly to my liking, but I can work on that.

AkanoYoru
08-01-2012, 05:43 PM
Well, my old friend "chest pain" and a new friend "random stabbing sensation in my head" have popped up, making my life a little more interesting and once again testing my stress coping techniques.

But you didn't come to this thread to hear me whine (that's what blogs are for!), so here's a render I whipped up. I adjusted the color balance for the face texture so it almost perfectly matches Winter's (the character) body color.

Environment is a little dark, but it is pretty good for being whipped up in a few minutes :3

I stopped drawing during my breaks at my summer job, as F Scott Fitzgerald's This Side of Paradise drew me in (no pun intended). I love older books. There is a more sophisticated tone (even when Fitzgerald went on a little tangent that I laughed aloud at) that modern authors lack, mainly because the modern education system doesn't teach students to be articulate. Why should we when we can speak lol over the internet? I wonder how many kids even learn cursive any more...

Oops, I ranted all over the place XD

AkanoYoru
08-03-2012, 08:43 PM
Wow,It is so exciting.

What is? My ranting or my art? :)

AkanoYoru
08-08-2012, 01:46 PM
Did some drawing. As you can see the young lady isn't too happy about the proximity of the demon horse :)

66008 66007

Aaaaand... sexy beach render time:

Also I'm considering getting a touchscreen monitor so it feels more natural when I draw using my computer... here's hoping :rolleyes:

AkanoYoru
08-09-2012, 05:21 PM
TRIPLE POST! Got my Super Aestevalis model kit in the mail today, so I thought I'd have some fun with it:

We went around town, and I had it destroy some stuff. Oh how surprised everyone was :rolleyes:

AkanoYoru
08-18-2012, 01:06 PM
After a wonderful little trip to the emergency room a few days ago (the expense of which my parents put on my shoulders, even though it was their idea) with more concern coming from the people at work than my parents - I'm back to drawing. With my last day of work completed, I still have a little less than a week until I go to college, where I will have plenty of motivation to draw. Here is a drawing to tide this thread over until then.

My touchscreen monitor is slowly making it's way across the country... I am impatient for it to arrive.

Jacob's Ladder
08-20-2012, 10:19 PM
The rendering are beyond words! If my tablet had the power, would love to attempt that with my characters. The sketchings are really getting better too, but that much is awesome!!

AkanoYoru
08-21-2012, 10:26 AM
The rendering are beyond words! If my tablet had the power, would love to attempt that with my characters. The sketchings are really getting better too, but that much is awesome!!

Well, I did so much rendering last fall that I screwed up the drivers for the cooling fan on my motherboard (16 minutes at 100% processor usage tends to do that), however I recently hotwired a new fan to run off a USB port (with a wire coming out from underneath my laptop's keybaord), and now instead of going up to 102C, it stays at a nice 44C at most. DAZ studio (the program I use to render) is a wonderful program, yet I cannot bring myself to upgrade from version 3 to version 4 due to my familiarity with the old program. The only problem I have with DAZ studio 3 is that it goes ballistic when I try to use my tablet with it and it uses a software renderer instead of a hardware renderer.

I should be getting my touchscreen monitor sometime today, so I hope I'll be doing more digital drawing (Paint Tool Sai here I come!). The only problem is that I don't have enough USB plugs.

Oh yeah, new digital piece. Took several hours at my Digipro tablet to do this.

With the anticipated arrival of my touchscreen, this means I can finally get the ball back rolling on my webcomic! YES!!!

AkanoYoru
08-27-2012, 09:40 PM
I don't have anything to show for my touchscreen monitor as of yet (still fiddling around with it). In the meantime I've been having a good time so far at college (apparently having a record player & matching speakers turn heads), making the memories of my infernal summer as that of recalling a movie I watched years ago.
With my improving mood, I did a few drawings. For some reason I'm actually somewhat satisfied with them. Both are for my webcomic.

The four main characters. Left to right they are: Winter, Lily, Jim and Bob (who dresses in a similar style to myself when its summertime).

A scene between Winter and Lily, where Winter points out Lily's dyed hair.

When they're digitally inked I'll fix all the derps (hopefully).

AkanoYoru
08-28-2012, 10:05 PM
Drew some mechs. Huzzah!

Winter's mech Cockpit Closed

Cockpit Open

Bob's Mech Cockpit Closed

Jacob's Ladder
08-28-2012, 10:19 PM
Not bad! I really like the mechs...especially Winter's. They have BubbleGum Crisis look to them. The only thing I can nitpick about would be blocky look, it makes them seem slow and cumbersome. Not I know much about mech design.

You can take a look at one of my designs on the last page of my thread. Would like your input.

And your comic pages are interesting, love the girls...they look more natural in their posturing than the guys. Plus, I at least would add some shading to the hair if it's supposed to be purple. Also the anatomy on the guys arms look a little off...nothing bad at that can't be fixed.

AkanoYoru
08-29-2012, 07:22 AM
Not bad! I really like the mechs...especially Winter's. They have BubbleGum Crisis look to them. The only thing I can nitpick about would be blocky look, it makes them seem slow and cumbersome. Not I know much about mech design.

You can take a look at one of my designs on the last page of my thread. Would like your input.

And your comic pages are interesting, love the girls...they look more natural in their posturing than the guys. Plus, I at least would add some shading to the hair if it's supposed to be purple. Also the anatomy on the guys arms look a little off...nothing bad at that can't be fixed.

Yeah, I was looking at my motoslave actionfigure when drawing Winter's mech. Added a few things to make it look original (after all, Winter is actually an anime fan). The mechs are prototypes, so they aren't exactly perfect as they are (Winter's is powered by electricity and motors, while Bob's is powered by organically grafted muscles).

With the digital inking I've done so far the anatomy has improved, however the awkwardness of their poses emphasizes that they are indeed awkward people. Bob is a slightly depressed introvert while Jim is an excitable Zaphod Beeblebrox-like character. Winter is an ice queen (TV tropes reference) with a warm core, and has quite a few issues. Lily is sorta like a female version of Jim.

I just finished Star Driver last night, and can't believe how much stuff they ripped off from RahXephon... I should cut back on the anime :laugh:

AkanoYoru
09-11-2012, 07:11 PM
Aha! Double post with a two week interval! This thread is on fire!
Got bored today, drew something. I should scan more of my stuff...

Ah, just finished scaling my Gurren Lagann 3d model to exacly my size for anime boston this year. WOO!

*edit* I have finished modeling this sexy beast.

Now all I have to do is stitch all of the vertices together- when I converted it to .obj format, all of the faces became disconnected, making it not very friendly to pepakura.

Jacob's Ladder
09-12-2012, 11:40 PM
I really like the mecha-girl. Cute, and her pose is nice. Like how she has actual volume to her body. *2 thumbs up*

AkanoYoru
09-17-2012, 01:05 PM
Curses, Winter was bitten by a "Moe" bug. I don't think she'll recover from it.

Who is that handsome fellow on her shirt I wonder... /人◕ ‿‿ ◕人\

AkanoYoru
09-22-2012, 11:53 PM
So... it was raining after supper, so I pulled out my paints and painted for the first time in 8 (feels more like 3) years. I wish I could have made the tones work better (and put more detail in the rocks' reflection).

1 canvas filled, 4 more to go :)

Edit: Thought I'd share the first page of my webcomic/graphic novel I'm working on. Page 2 is currently in the works. Enjoy ;)

AkanoYoru
10-03-2012, 07:22 AM
A drawing and the second page for my webcomic sum graphic novel.

I picked up a Chris Hart's Book Figure It Out! The Beginners Guide to Drawing People a few days ago (after these drawings were done, and I think it's helping out quite a bit, despite the fact that I don't particularly like how his work looks disjointed at times.

69414 69412 69413

OMG, drawings not in the stereotypical Japanese style! On noes!! :laugh:
BTW, these are the first few times that I've fit an entire person on a 8 1/2" x 11" piece of paper and they look like they are drawn somewhat decently.

AkanoYoru
10-21-2012, 07:04 PM
Spent the day coding for my webcomic sum graphic novel's website. Here's a screenie:
I'm gonna make some of the little hexagons (which float around semi-randomly) have pictures of characters or scenes on them.

Here's said character portraits thus far:

Tsumiru
10-22-2012, 07:52 AM
Wow you showed awesome progress! Congrats! :D

AkanoYoru
10-22-2012, 10:30 AM
Wow you showed awesome progress! Congrats! :D

Oddly enough, I am also satisfied with my progress. As an idicator, during my last art class the model complimented my charcoal drawing (which was probably the most realistic in the entire class, even though I wasn't having a particularly good day empathically)... I'll need to get a scan of it or something and post it... if people don't mind seeing a bit of a bottom. :rolleyes:

I discovered my characters' faces turn out better when I start out with ovals rather than circles... and references help oodles.

Tsumiru
10-23-2012, 10:01 AM
Oddly enough, I am also satisfied with my progress. As an idicator, during my last art class the model complimented my charcoal drawing (which was probably the most realistic in the entire class, even though I wasn't having a particularly good day empathically)... I'll need to get a scan of it or something and post it... if people don't mind seeing a bit of a bottom. :rolleyes:

I discovered my characters' faces turn out better when I start out with ovals rather than circles... and references help oodles.

Yes indeed, the faces are definetly better! If you don't mind me asking, fr how long have you been drawing manga\anime?[COLOR="Silver"]

AkanoYoru
10-23-2012, 05:38 PM
Yes indeed, the faces are definetly better! If you don't mind me asking, fr how long have you been drawing manga\anime?[COLOR="Silver"]
My first attempts were waaaaay back in 5th grade -or about 10 years ago. I stopped once I started to be teased about how bad I was (by my brothers), so I stopped up until a year or so ago, when I threw caution to the wind and went full steam ahead (Choo choo!).
Probably the Manga artist I've studied the most is Tony Taka, who I discovered thanks to the magic of 4chan, however most of his works are nsfw ;)

Tsumiru
10-24-2012, 07:37 AM
You really shouldn't bother about what others say. Glad you started to draw again :D

AkanoYoru
10-25-2012, 09:15 PM
Have a small piece to share. It's the first page of my webcomic sum graphic novel sans dialogue. I plan on giving it some nice colors.

The look on Lily's face in the last panel is priceless, and how dynamic Jim's hat is :laugh:

Vintniv
10-26-2012, 08:42 AM
Might I suggest you try doing a study of hands? The anime art in the faces are good, but the hands dont look very good. Especially when you consider that there is a heavy emphasis on hands in that particular comic.

http://moni158.deviantart.com/art/Hands-267956158

That might help you out a bit, they're difficult to draw, but drawing them well will help the quality of your work sky rocket!

AkanoYoru
10-26-2012, 10:42 AM
Might I suggest you try doing a study of hands? The anime art in the faces are good, but the hands dont look very good. Especially when you consider that there is a heavy emphasis on hands in that particular comic.

http://moni158.deviantart.com/art/Hands-267956158

That might help you out a bit, they're difficult to draw, but drawing them well will help the quality of your work sky rocket!

Yeah, hands are my bane. I should use references instead of just going from memory/looking at my own hands, so I guess I was just being lazy here :laugh:

On a related note, I have the evolution of one of my characters in a timeline format, which also shows how my drawing skills have improved over the last 2 years (with a majority of the improvement over the past year).

AkanoYoru
10-30-2012, 11:24 PM
Working on a Heroman 3d model for a cosplay @ Anime Boston this upcoming year:

Reference:

Bulf
10-31-2012, 03:33 PM
Loving the WIP model. Not much I can really say at this point, but maybe try cutting some segments in the knee, and smoothing the whole thing a little. And there seems to be a little geometry problem near the bottom of the leg (back). Can't wait to see the finished version though =D

AkanoYoru
11-04-2012, 09:17 PM
I got bored today, so I made myself a new desktop background. My eyes don't bleed when I look at it, so it's a start.

Argh... hands XD

AkanoYoru
11-05-2012, 06:26 PM
Got bored today, so I tried something a little different: convenient censoring!

For the sake of those who don't want to or cannot not view such content, just ignore the spoiler tag and enjoy the progress I made on my heroman 3d model.

Alas Heroman, your head looks funky :/

AkanoYoru
11-12-2012, 11:03 AM
Did a face proportion study using MikuMiku Dance. The result was the addition of a new character to my arsenal.
And of course my favorite spectacled girl: Winter Farthing, who is leaning against... something.

Gothic lolita style ftw :3

AkanoYoru
12-07-2012, 04:29 PM
Been in a bit of a slump for a while. Then my computer caught a nasty virus and I had to reformat my hard drive to get rid of it. Thankfully I managed to back everything up though :3
So today I worked on something:

Names (from left to right): Jim, Lily, Winter, Bob, Marie and Gerald.

I'm not happy with how the bottom part of Marie's dress turned out. Needs to be more frilly.

AkanoYoru
12-26-2012, 05:11 PM
Well, I'm back and taking no prisoners! With my Upcoming New Year's resolution to get off my bum and start drawing more (specifically my mecha story... thing), thought I'd drop buy and leave a tidbit or two.

1) Teaser Silhouette for the final version of mecha #1 (B.O.R.I.S. Unit-00)

2) An adorable rendition of Winter Farthing. The result of some experimentation with nose styles, new pens and white-out I bought for myself.

Now if only I could stop my hand from its subtle, uncontrollable shaking...

AkanoYoru
01-22-2013, 02:44 PM
Hello? Anyone there?
Unfolded and printed some gilgamesh armor. Waiting to get some $$ so I can turn the pepakura template into foam. Lovely 3d model I found on deviantart ripped by"xo-Bahamut-ox" from FSN UC.
I had to make a new model for the face (as it was too complex), which I printed it out and colored with markers. Interesting note: Anime eyes fall generally where human noses do. Hoping to maybe make it out of silicone or something if I decide not to do Gilgamesh as an animegao cosplay.

And finally, to my surprise I ended up making a behelit! Will I turn into an apostle? Only time will tell.

Now if only I could get my camera working :/

AkanoYoru
03-23-2013, 03:53 PM
Been derping around for the past 2 months. Finally remembered that I have some where to post some drawings.

Digimon_Sommelier::
03-26-2013, 04:45 PM
AkanoYoru: Very nice material here. Great job. Keep at it. You have a gift. :)

Have a great week! :D

.::My Wi-Fi, it's gone out::.

AkanoYoru
04-06-2013, 09:14 PM
I admit I had fun with this 3d render. The mech was originally a Gunded model (for non-commercial use), which I rearranged to make a more humanoid mech.

Dat redhead is adorable, isn't she? :3

AkanoYoru
04-21-2013, 10:29 PM
Were my webcomic (currently in development hell, I don't know how that happened) were to become an animated movie series, the poster would look something like this:

Getting a print done by Walmart, hoping to pick it up tomorrow ^^

AkanoYoru
07-11-2013, 08:37 AM
I have not been active on here for nearly three months, which is a shame. Although, since it is my birthday (my 21st one, at that), it gives me good reason to start posting stuff again.
So I've put my scifi-urban fiction on the back burner because I wasn't really relating to the characters. Instead, I've started work on a story I've been working on for almost just as long (2 years). Attending a symposium called "Planning your Manga" at Anime Boston got me really excited about this. But I've also learned that I should bring more spending money to conventions like that XD
I got an uber awesome scanner/copier/fax for free, that takes $15 (recycled) for all the ink cartridges, as well as a new computer that can support dual monitors and has a fairly up-to-date graphics card. All my dreams have come true... well, a fair portion of them.
Anyway, the story is going to be kinda like Utawarerumono x Spice and Wolf, where our heros set about making their own kingdom, finding out about each other along the way while dodging/fighting the church.
Below Two of several main characters. Main characters are: A dwarf (not pictured), elf, mage (retired as a blacksmith), catgirl, dragon (can transform into a a person), goblin, and will-o-whisp.

78087 78091 78088 78089 78093780907809278094

Random Armors

78086http://www.animeforum.com/images/misc/pencil.png78095 78096

AkanoYoru
07-15-2013, 08:53 PM
Just whipped up a quick concept for a character. And this is the hero of the story.

blueangel06661
07-15-2013, 09:45 PM
AkanoYoru

Your thread has many varying mediums. AKA Traditional, digital, artisan crafts.

I'm going to have to work with someone to divide your thread into their designated subforms since not all of this is Traditional or drawings/paintings. It may take a while for it to be complete and I'll use generic titles until you direct Ellipsis, Serated, or myself otherwise.

AkanoYoru
07-15-2013, 09:56 PM
AkanoYoru

Your thread has many varying mediums. AKA Traditional, digital, artisan crafts.

I'm going to have to work with someone to divide your thread into their designated subforms since not all of this is Traditional or drawings/paintings. It may take a while for it to be complete and I'll use generic titles until you direct Ellipsis, Serated, or myself otherwise.

Maybe just move the whole thing to the "General Art" subforum? Seems a bit of a bother to split it into various pieces.