PDA

View Full Version : Drawing Tournament: Battle 4 Voting

Archaic Devices
02-26-2012, 10:33 PM
Almost done with first round voting! -akichan- will be replacing Fangirl1230 in this round. Also, you are voting for two winners, one from each division.

Division 1:
Sh0u vs. iamdragon

Theme: Fanart

Sh0u

iamdragon

Division 2:
Marudashi vs. -akichan-

Theme: animals

MaruDashi

-akichan-

Remember, you are voting for a winner from each division, and you must explain your vote. Voting ends Sunday, March 11th.

DeathBlade/13.666
02-26-2012, 10:42 PM
Sh0u and MaruDashi for me.

iamdragon's is good, especially drawing of the voice actor, but it faulters a bit on the characters. Sh0u's is consistent throughout and much better then iamdragon's characters, just not the voice actor.

-akichan-'s is nice, but I really like MaruDashi's peacock more. There's a decent amount of detail to it and pretty well done.

Jacob's Ladder
02-26-2012, 11:38 PM
Iamdragon and Maru

Though ShOu was well done as a layout, the thought of realism of a voice actress and the characters she voices is true "fan art"...and completely original.

Maru's peacock was just over the top. Not to take away from the other entry at all. Just the amount of detail in her work is amazing.

Everyone did a great job, and this has been by far the best.

battousai_ryuu
02-27-2012, 09:39 AM
Division One: Iamdragon
I was impressed with the level of realism displayed with the voice actress and the lighting giving to each anime character. Also the high level of detail and proportion.

Division Two: MaruDashi
The meticulous attention to detail win the feathers and shading on the body (the different blues) caught my eye instantly.

Well done contestants. Good luck to you all!

Bou
02-27-2012, 01:00 PM
Division One: Iamdragon
Although the other entry was also very good, I loved the fact that iamdragon's enty showed more diversity in their drawing(with the realistic VA, and the anime characters). It was also a great idea.

Division Two: MaruDashi
They were both very good, and eye-catching, but I had to go with Maru because I personally am more into realistic art, and the work put into it, but I do love both.

SuXrys
02-27-2012, 01:19 PM
Division One: Sh0u;
I like that there where action going on in that picture, I also liked that it was build like a manga page. It's also well done, good drawn and such. I also really like that there are different angles in the picture, it just brings more "life" to it and gives it another depth.

Division Two: MaruDashi;
Who doesn't like a peacock? Warm inviting colors, and it was also very well done. You can really see that time has been spent on this picture, I really like that.

Archaic Devices
02-27-2012, 03:35 PM
I've noticed this in a lot of votes and I want to clarify this. Sh0u's entry is NOT drawn from a manga panel as some of you think. He took characters from Tales of the Abyss and turned it into a manga panel like some of you believe.

Sh0u
02-27-2012, 08:06 PM
I think I'll vote for Akichan

Maru's Peacock has a lot of detail and is very well done, however I feel the lack of a background or even a shadow makes the piece feel like it's missing something. Akichan's is based on Animal Crossing so the art style of course is going to be less realistic. Even though there are some things that could be done better the use of bright colors helps create a nice atmosphere and the background makes the piece feel more compelte. Overall though I think both did an excellent job in their own way.

Kanjoudakai_Ira
03-05-2012, 12:32 PM
Wow... great drawings in the first division! It was hard for me to pick. Sh0u's manga adaption was very, very good, nice little story, good dynamics, great layout and good subject. And although iamdragon has great skills and his drawing is perfectly close to manga, I'll vote for Sh0u, for the action and originality.

As for the second division... I liked Akichan's imagination but I'll still go for Maru. I like peacocks.

Dello
03-05-2012, 10:17 PM
Sh0u - Because of the originality. I really like how he turned a part of the opening of Tales of Abyss into a comic page. The action flows well and the expressions are amazing. I love how clean and professional it looks just being penciled.

Maru - I just like peacocks. They are pretty.

Mr. Panda
03-06-2012, 08:01 AM
This is just my two cents I'll be slamming on the table here, but the two posters before me are partially wrong in their statement on why they think Shou should win.
I did some research and I found out that it indeed is simply the opening to the anime to The Tales of the Abyss (spelling?). This by all means is not original. All Shou did was copy certain scenes onto one page. Is it good? Certainly. It looks very good, but it's far from original. That's like saying you videotape a bird in flight and draw 3 consecutive pictures of it in a different motion.

Then we have iamdragon's. This is original. For one, she (or he), combined anime and realism. That's not an easy feat on its own. The one will always affect the other in a certain way, be it anatomically or composition-wise. Just a big slap on the cheek for being nonchalant with the manga characters. Shame shame shame.

But then again we're here to discuss fan-art. Both are in their equal rights, so it's just a matter of opinion on which one should win. I'm going for the more original one, iamdragon.

The last one, I don't really need to think about it. It's Marudashi.

Miind
03-11-2012, 08:28 PM
I vote Sh0u for the first, not really sure for the second.

I chose sh0u because I think the detail and shading looks magnificent and the theme was Fanart which I assume means fan art of anime considering the title of the forum. So the portrait in iamdragon's entry doesn't really fit the theme and the rest seems sloppy and not proportionate. Overall I just think Sh0u's looks more smooth and proportionate.

Archaic Devices
03-11-2012, 08:43 PM
Little late on this, but I can't accept the votes for Division 2 from Dello and Helvetica. No reason is stated.

Syaoran
03-11-2012, 08:44 PM
Kay so for the first half, I'd choose Sh0u. As much as I like the realistic person on iamdragon's picture, the anime characters they drew seemed slightly hurried in my eyes and could have used just a bit more effort. The structure and overall neatness of Sh0u's made their picture more appealing to me, even though both entries are quite nice.

For the second half, I choose -akichan-'s image with the Animal Crossing characters. The reason being is that while Maru's image fits the theme better, I just don't feel the colours represent what a peacock should be. The colours in -akichan-'s image are what won over me here ;U.

John Watson
03-11-2012, 09:51 PM
iamdragon.

Come on, its practically perfect.

Its beautifully detailed~ The random asian girl at the top was drawn so accurately. xD

Very nice.

Jacob's Ladder
03-11-2012, 11:09 PM
iamdragon. Come on, its practically perfect.
Its beautifully detailed~ The random asian girl at the top was drawn so accurately. xD
Very nice.

iamdragon actually drew the voice actress to the 4 characters she portrays in their respected animes. Observer Helvetica did include a pretty valid reason.

Archaic Devices
03-11-2012, 11:39 PM
iamdragon actually drew the voice actress to the 4 characters she portrays in their respected animes. Observer Helvetica did include a pretty valid reason.

I don't think that "The last one, I don't really need to think about it. It's Marudashi." counts as a valid reason.

Jacob's Ladder
03-12-2012, 01:37 AM
I don't think that "The last one, I don't really need to think about it. It's Marudashi." counts as a valid reason. I apologize, I didn't see that part...*bonks own head*.