PDA

View Full Version : God how much more can Fafner in the Azure copy NGE

squareenixx
01-31-2012, 01:28 PM
I mean I have watched NGE and just started watching this anime called Fafner in the Azure and its just ridiculous its like the creator got all his ideas right from watching NGE.

Basically like in NGE you have a place where the humans live like a city or town that these monsters keep attacking and trying to kill people. In Fafner they even materialize just like in NGE where there is a space distortion or something.

Then just like in NGE some kid is forced to pilot this Fafner when the town is being attacked by this monster that materialized and is floating in the air doing weird attacks.

Also just like in NGE one of the pilots dad is the boss of this protection facility and he is serious just like Gendo ikari.

The town even has huge moving blocks in it to protect it which is similar to the NGE Tokyo buildings moving underground for protection.

Not to Mention when they pilot these things they put their hand in a gel substance and become one with it. So instead of copying NGE completely here they made sure it was just the hand that went it.

Who else thinks this is ridiculous. I Mean NGE had a decent amount of original ideas in it but this Fafner in the Azure doesn't seem to have one idea in it that is original.

Datenshi
01-31-2012, 10:43 PM
Hey, wait, you're the angry customer from the NGE thread a while back. I'm glad that you appear to have moved on from your disappointment with that particular show (although it is unfortunate that you don't seem to be having better luck elsewhere).

As for the topic, I agree that the influence from NGE is pretty unarguable. But then, it's to be expected that a show as massively popular as NGE would spawn shows incorporating similar elements.

Also, you have to keep in mind that NGE itself is a kind of self-conscious pastiche of classic robot animes, monster movies, and superhero shows of the past. In that sense, it's really kind of like a Tarantino movie, in that a part of its popularity stems from the fact that it remixes standard tropes from subculture past (robots, monsters, underground shelters, schoolchildren going to battle) with an innovative twist. So its kind of inevitable that other anime are going to share similar formulas.

blueangel06661
02-01-2012, 09:19 AM
Just like every magical girl anime copies sailor moon..... oh noes......

Every show is inspired by SOMETHING before it... I wouldn't worry too much...

marvel_phoenix
02-01-2012, 04:58 PM
I've also noticed some similarities between anime/manga where some of the higher-ups are in common between two similar series. That could also be a small part. ;)