PDA

View Full Version : What books should've been read before you die?

SuXrys
01-19-2012, 06:19 PM
Before 'you' grow old and cold - which books should a person have read before *he die?
And why do you think that?

CCpotter
02-01-2012, 08:13 PM
I don't know, can't think of any when i see your question.

Many books could be good and helpful but i always forgot them after a while

So let's see if other people have any idea about this

Saeriel
02-01-2012, 08:22 PM
Many of the books that I tote as wonderful are very... situational? Ah... Rather, if you're not me, I wouldn't necessarily consider them must reads.

But I will mention The Hobbit, by Tolkien is wonderful, all the brilliance of Tolkien, without the length of LOTR. It is the only novel I can currently think of as a universal must-read. Well, perhaps also the core novels of Dragonlance, but I may be biased regarding those.

Explorer Oak
03-28-2012, 05:36 PM
The Outsiders. The most charming story of friendship i have ever read. But for somthing less mainstream, i should mention Willow. Great story about a girl who is addikted to cutting herself to stop the pain of her parents deaths; that she blames on herself. All her hope in life is gone.. untill.. Haha! You have to read the book to find out what happens next! :P

Immoral
03-28-2012, 08:16 PM
None. Flashy colors on the big screen are far more interesting.

DeathBlade/13.666
03-28-2012, 08:33 PM
I believe one should read at least one Isaac Asimov book and one Jules Vernes book if they enjoy Science Fiction. For fantasy, I recommend Anne McCaffery and J.R.R. Tolkien (Most preferally The Hobbit).

Eleke
03-28-2012, 09:40 PM
The Lord of the Rings (the grandfather to modern fantasy)
The Princess of Mars (the grandfather to modern sci-fi)
The Hobbit
Mahabharata
Foundation Trilogy
The Illiad
Frank Herbert's Dune
Stephen King's Carrie
The Handmaid's Tale
Terry Pratchett's Small Gods
Young Goodman Brown

And that's all I can think of right now, I'm sure I'll think of more later.

Sadrith
06-30-2012, 01:26 PM
I want to read the rest of Lovecrafts work,
The illiad and the the oddessy
Finish the Brotherhood of War series
Read the rest of the bob lee swagger novels

Jozette
06-30-2012, 03:28 PM
READ ALL THE BOOKS xd

gunym
07-13-2012, 05:53 PM
why do you not plan to read the Bible? Lots of literature has it’s roots in biblical lore. You have a closed minded approach to literature if you shut out this book.

marvel_phoenix
07-13-2012, 08:15 PM
I believe one should read at least one Isaac Asimov book and one Jules Vernes book if they enjoy Science Fiction. For fantasy, I recommend Anne McCaffery and J.R.R. Tolkien (Most preferally The Hobbit).

The Hobbit is awesome (If you haven't read it yet, read before the movies come out!!!!) I want to read McCaffrey's Pern series, and re-read To Ride Pegasus. Finish the Lord of the Ring... Read Wagner's Kane series, Lovecraft, Frankenstein, finish Dracula... Lots of other classics. I have a pretty long reading list for my Bucket List :happy:

Sadrith
07-13-2012, 10:15 PM
The Hobbit is awesome (If you haven't read it yet, read before the movies come out!!!!) I want to read McCaffrey's Pern series, and re-read To Ride Pegasus. Finish the Lord of the Ring... Read Wagner's Kane series, Lovecraft, Frankenstein, finish Dracula... Lots of other classics. I have a pretty long reading list for my Bucket List :happy:

Dracula is good and picks up after the nina parts in the beginning.

marvel_phoenix
07-13-2012, 10:41 PM
Dracula is good and picks up after the nina parts in the beginning.

The only problem I'm having with it is with the tiny page size of my smart phone :p

AnimeBboy
07-14-2012, 12:08 AM
Some good books that I've read that I would recommend
The Hobbit
The Lord of the Rings
The Book of Five Rings
Hagakure: The Book of the Samurai
Frankenstein

DeathBlade/13.666
07-14-2012, 11:10 AM
The Hobbit is awesome (If you haven't read it yet, read before the movies come out!!!!) I want to read McCaffrey's Pern series, and re-read To Ride Pegasus. Finish the Lord of the Ring... Read Wagner's Kane series, Lovecraft, Frankenstein, finish Dracula... Lots of other classics. I have a pretty long reading list for my Bucket List :happy:Totally agree on The Hobbit sentiment, read before watching the movie. The Kane series I kinda want to dig into some. Lovecraft, I'm not to fond of. Shelley and Stoker are classics with Frankenstein and Dracula, but it's also good to check out their other novels too. For McCaffrey's Pern series, it's a long series. I'd suggest getting started soon, and also keep in mind that the last several Dragonriders of Pern novels were written either by Anne McCaffrey herself with her son Todd, or by Todd himself only. Which is kinda cool when you think about it and the Pern world, and how the stories get passed along from generation to generation within that world. You can check out her non-Pern stories too.

BlackLotus
07-14-2012, 11:54 AM
One of my favorite books was actually a school required reading. Tuesdays with morrie is an all-time fav for me. I suggest you read it when you get a chance. A dying teacher gives his student one final lesson.... A lesson that he would never forget. The subject for this final class is death. This book shows you what's really important in life. Also the greatest lesson I learned is that if society doesn't work for you. Don't follow it. Stand up and make your own. So I really recommend this book for you guys.

Mugiwara-no-Basuke
07-15-2012, 06:19 AM
Lord of the Rings for sure, Harry Potter if you like that kind of stuff

Also Nicholas Sparks, great stories, and many more! :p

elisaelisa
07-17-2012, 09:04 AM
Honestly, i think that all classics are for some reason or another worth reading.
You know, all these books that u hate that u have to read when u are in school and are required to.
From Tolkien to Hemingway and from Bronte to Dostoyevsky.
theres a reason these books have survived so many years with so many people loving them.

A lot of nowadays best writers are being added to school mandatory reading list these days too.

Steven21088
07-17-2012, 06:42 PM
Dante Aligheri - Divine Comedy absolutely fantastic read.
Lewis Carol - Alice In wonderland And Through The Looking Glass.
J.D Salinger - Catcher In The Rye It mde me look back on my life and change who I was a little.
Finally absolutely anything by William Shakespeare he was a genius beyond anything that has come after him.

Kaleohano
07-17-2012, 06:52 PM
the one about how i die. so i can try to prevent it lol

MariannaB
07-17-2012, 06:57 PM
All the books I write in the future should be read because they will be awesome :)

pleasant_disorder
07-24-2012, 10:01 AM
^Lol.

Man...this is a long list of books.

"Infinite Jest" by David Foster Wallace, "The Recognitions" and "JR" by William Gaddis, "White Noise" by Don Delillo, "On Beauty" "The Autograph Man" and "White Teeth" all by Zadie Smith, "A Heartbreaking Work of Staggering Genius" by Dave Eggars, and Adam Levin's "The Instructions". Oh! And everything by Murakami.

Fantasy fans must read Phillip Pullman's "His Dark Materials" and "Brave Story" by Miyuki Miyabi