PDA

View Full Version : old wives tales

Lady_Baneheart_Of_Blades
01-06-2012, 09:25 AM
I'm looking for type of old wives tale, especially when it comes to (something new, something old, something borrowed and something blue.) My sister would keep asking me about what I'd like to be blue, I only want three things blue and if no black tiebow, I'd rather go for dark serulian black. :) I just love hearing wives tales, which when one day during college I dropped a porridge spoon, one friend said that someone is going to visit me. I also walked around a ladder instead of under it. also the funny thing is the day I broke a mirror my friend said I won't get more bad luck I only made more mirrors.

SuXrys
01-06-2012, 06:04 PM
Can you just explain what you mean by "wives tales" @Lady_Baneheart_Of_Blades (http://www.animeforum.com/member.php?80042-Lady_Baneheart_Of_Blades)? I don't think I understand what you are asking for. *Very tired* Is that like "if you do this then this will happen?" Like throwing salt over your shoulder when a black cat crosses the street?

aerophobia
01-06-2012, 06:23 PM
Can you just explain what you mean by "wives tales" @Lady_Baneheart_Of_Blades (http://www.animeforum.com/member.php?80042-Lady_Baneheart_Of_Blades)? I don't think I understand what you are asking for. *Very tired* Is that like "if you do this then this will happen?" Like throwing salt over your shoulder when a black cat crosses the street?
like some of the stuff listed here http://www.writers-free-reference.com/13wivestales.htm

---------- Post added at 07:23 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:14 PM ----------

An old wives tale is just like an urban legend. Passed down by old wives to younger generations. Usually superstitious, folklore and unverified or exaggerated claims and untrue details.

CaptainFloyd
01-07-2012, 12:29 AM
Lol I know these.....they are like "If you masturbate all the time you will soon go blind" lines right?

Anoleis
01-07-2012, 02:11 AM
Salt does not make water boil faster; however, it does make the pasta taste slightly better.

battousai_ryuu
01-07-2012, 02:44 AM
but...but...physics ;-;
specific heat capacity!
water = 4.184 Joules/gram per degree celcius
Salt water = 3.9827 Joules/gram perdegree celcius
(the closer to 0 the easier to heat)
It's not noticable but it does heat faster.

Anoleis
01-07-2012, 02:55 AM
It's not noticeable, also, pasta boiled in pure salt water is gross.

battousai_ryuu
01-07-2012, 02:58 AM
It's not noticeable, also, pasta boiled in pure salt water is gross.
Agreed!

Lady_Baneheart_Of_Blades
01-08-2012, 08:26 AM
salt makes pasta taste better, it helps it boil faster. takes about 20 minutes. :) I love to hear about wives tales, the wives tales can range from superstition to weddings(old,new,borrowed, blue) don't know about the (six pence in shoe??) That one makes me want to tear my shoes apart. lol!!!

Meenah
01-08-2012, 08:50 AM
My mom tells me weird ones, she said if you're pregnant, don't garden while squatting down in the ground. O_o

I dont believe in those things but I mean I'm the person that wants to be safe than sorry.

Screwby
01-09-2012, 10:28 PM
There are a lot of old wives tales in Brazil. Mum would tell me heaps.
She's a nutritionist and there's a superstition that you die if you drink milk after eating a mango. She couldn't believe how many people believed that.
Another one is when you have visitors you want to leave, just put a broom upside down behind the door. Grandma would do that a lot to make mum's friends leave when they were early teens.

Haoie
01-11-2012, 11:28 PM
Wacky urban legends are a lot of fun, too.