PDA

View Full Version : Non comedy western animation series for adults?

sunnyside
12-15-2011, 09:10 PM
So western animation has a lot of shows that are comedies, and really good ones at that.

I'm wondering about shows that are made for adults, but are not comedies. Now, I guess some adults like watching the kiddy shows, and occasionally a show that was meant for the kiddies turns into something special that goes over their heads (Gargoyles). But if the show airs on Saturday morning or when school lets out, it's probably not what I'm talking about.

I can only think of a few examples:

Aeon Flux
Spawn the Animated series

And...huh. Well that's it off the top of my head. Usually those sorts of shows are done with live action over here. Anybody else know of any?

blueangel06661
12-15-2011, 09:25 PM
Not really there are not many westren "cartoons" that are not aimed at kids or not comedy [family guy, etc.] Even the old cartoons, Tom & Jerry, Roadrunner, etc. etc. were geared towards adults during the depression.

animeyay
12-15-2011, 10:10 PM
Even more "kiddy" shows like Justice League or Teen Titans are not really considered "comedy" because their primary goal is not to make you laugh.

GameGeeks
12-15-2011, 10:32 PM
There's Phantom 2040 which is also done by the same guy as Aeon Flux.

marvel_phoenix
12-15-2011, 10:37 PM
The X-Men animated series from the 90s kinda falls into the Gargoyles thing... The animated Ghostbusters series, Incredible Hulk, Bureau of Alien Detectors (B.A.D.) and Exo Squad are some that I can think of. (Starting to show my age there... :rolleyes:) Starship Troopers is CGI, but I guess it could count.

Heavy Metal 2000 (Julie Strain :huh:) is most definitely geared for adults.

GameGeeks
12-15-2011, 10:38 PM
The X-Men animated series from the 90s kinda falls into the Gargoyles thing... The animated Ghostbusters series, Incredible Hulk, Bureau of Alien Detectors (B.A.D.) and Exo Squad are some that I can think of. (Starting to show my age there... :rolleyes:) Heavy Metal 2000 (Julie Strain :huh:) is most definitely geared for adults.
If you're gonna go that route, might as well throw in Batman the Animated Series. One of the best incarnations of batman and probably one of the best animated series directed at teens.

marvel_phoenix
12-15-2011, 10:52 PM
If you're gonna go that route, might as well throw in Batman the Animated Series. One of the best incarnations of batman and probably one of the best animated series directed at teens.

Is that the one where Mark Hamil voiced the Joker? I loved that series. <3

GameGeeks
12-15-2011, 11:00 PM
marvel_phoenix Aye

Uncanny X-Man
12-16-2011, 02:22 PM
To be fair pretty much any animated version of The Joker is voiced by Hamil which makes Hamil the true Joker.

randius
12-16-2011, 06:15 PM
there's some new marvel shows running, like wolverine and the xmen and the new spiderman animated series. wanting to watch them for some time now

Darkhallows
12-16-2011, 10:56 PM
Plague Dogs.

Videogamer555
12-18-2011, 02:02 AM
So western animation has a lot of shows that are comedies, and really good ones at that.

I'm wondering about shows that are made for adults, but are not comedies. Now, I guess some adults like watching the kiddy shows, and occasionally a show that was meant for the kiddies turns into something special that goes over their heads (Gargoyles). But if the show airs on Saturday morning or when school lets out, it's probably not what I'm talking about.

I can only think of a few examples:

Aeon Flux
Spawn the Animated series

And...huh. Well that's it off the top of my head. Usually those sorts of shows are done with live action over here. Anybody else know of any?

Heavy Metal (definitely not comedy, and definitely not for kids)

Private SNAFU. While it was funny, it was to be taken seriously because it was an army training film from the WWII era, and it definitely is not good for kids (some episodes obviously more so than others)

Volta
12-18-2011, 02:39 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HID2VK4bsEg

sunnyside
12-20-2011, 10:38 PM
Thanks for the some of the names, I'll look into them.

Even the old cartoons, Tom & Jerry, Roadrunner, etc. etc. were geared towards adults during the depression.

Really? Well, wait, do you mean stuff like
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-4UPQ9-jw6M

Which is something else entirely from "regular" looney toons.

there's some new marvel shows running, like wolverine and the xmen and the new spiderman animated series. wanting to watch them for some time now

Well, wait. What demographic do you think those are aiming for?

Ichilicious
12-25-2011, 11:43 AM
You might like The Street Sharks.

Kaitou Ace
12-25-2011, 08:49 PM
Hm... Titan AE maybe? There really aren't a lot of adult-targeted animations that are not comedy series.
Although how about A Scanner Darkly? Not a traditional animation technique per se, but still considered animated.
And yes, these are movies, not series, but its hard enough to think of examples as-is O_o;

lynksys
12-28-2011, 07:32 AM
I'm sure you'd enjoy the boondocks. It is an enjoyable adult cartoon show based around rich black people and their struggles in the world.