PDA

View Full Version : ALI PROJECT - KOPPERIA no Hitsugi

Hinamawari
11-12-2011, 02:27 PM
This is my first time posting, and I apologize beforehand if I'm doing this the wrong way.

The lyric that I would like to correct is the translation for ALI PROJECT's KOPPERIA no Hitsugi (http://www.animelyrics.com/jpop/aliproject/coppelia.htm).

1. Lyric in romaji: warera tsukuri tamaishi kami
Current translation: The god that created us from pebbles
Suggested revision: The god that created us

In this case, tamaishi is a combination of tamai and shi. Tamai is the ren'youkei of the yodan verb tamau, which is a respectful way of saying kureru, kudasaru. Shi is the rentaikei of the auxiliary verb ki, which is used to indicate a past, completed action. This is a form normally used in classical Japanese, and all together, tsukuri tamaishi would be equivalent to tsukutte kudasatta in modern Japanese.

2. Lyric in romaji: warera sukui tamaeru kami
Current translation: The god that can grant us salvation
Suggested revision: The got that salvaged us

Again, tamaeru is a combination of tamae and ru and is a classical usage. Tamae is the meireikei of tamau and ru is the rentaikei of ri, which indicates a completed action continuing into the present. All together, sukui tamaeru is equivalent to sukutte kudasatta in modern Japanese. (The nuance of continuing into the present is quite hard to incorporate into a modern translation.)

Thanks for reading.

AzureDark
11-13-2011, 12:47 AM
We must contact Lady Elwen for her approval first.

Hinamawari
11-13-2011, 01:34 AM
She hasn't been around since 2008; I'm not sure if I would get a reply...
I apologize if I should have contacted the original translator before posting--it was not mentioned in the guideline in the case the correction is not minor.

Austin Masaki
11-13-2011, 11:54 AM
Uhhh, my head hurts :0 too much confusing information.... Lol

animeyay
11-13-2011, 01:07 PM
If we don't get a reply from Lady Elwin within a week, then I guess we can assume she's no longer "active".

Lady Elwen
11-19-2011, 08:14 PM
I approve these changes. Thank you for the detailed explanation!

I guess I'm not the one who romanized it (actually, as a I recall, my translation was originally submitted as a correction as well), but I kind of think the spacing in the romanization should be changed, too. But maybe that is more a matter of preference/convention that something that is strictly incorrect.

Also, I am totally inactive, and wouldn't have seen this if AzureDark (?) hadn't emailed me about it, so don't feel bad for not having contact me first.

AzureDark
11-20-2011, 08:28 AM
Yes it was I who emailed you...

I am giving special dispensation to Hinamawari to replace the romaji as credit for bringing up the correction. Hinamawari please post your romaji of Coppelia no Hitsuji here if you may.

Hinamawari
11-20-2011, 09:26 AM
Thanks for replying, Lady Elwen :)

As for the romaji, I don't have any particular problem with it (plus I'm not really fond of romanizing), so I guess it's fine for now unless someone else wants to change it.