PDA

View Full Version : Anime that had potential, but never made it?

Todd
10-08-2011, 09:49 PM
Have you ever watched an anime that you thought was great, but it never made it past season 1? I know I have.

The most recent series for me would be Akikan! This series had great potential but, a second season never came. Which really disappointed me. It could've been a lot like Sekirei since the plots are quite similar. I just wish they had done something more with the plot, it felt like it wasn't going anywhere.

Has this ever happened to you? If so, what would you have done differently with the series for it to have a second season?

animeyay
10-08-2011, 10:31 PM
Can I talk about anime that had potential, but disappointed me because the characters were not fully utilized/developed?

The most recent one for me would be Kamisama no Memochou.
Like, what the heck!? There were so many cool things a band of NEET detectives could accomplish, but the director just had to focus on the main protagonist, who turned out to be a boring, ordinary, and basically useless character. The only time when he came close to manning up was when he was beating the cr@p out of a guy who could hardly move...mmmhmm, "manly" indeed.

marvel_phoenix
10-08-2011, 11:18 PM
I kinda liked Voogie's Angel. Unfortunately it never made it past episode 3. :'(

Screwby
10-09-2011, 02:12 AM
Chrome Shelled Regios felt like it was set up for at least 2 seasons especially with that kind of open ending in the last episode. If I remember correctly the director died so the second season hasn't been confirmed.

Konkulf
10-09-2011, 07:43 AM
Can I talk about anime that had potential, but disappointed me because the characters were not fully utilized/developed?

The most recent one for me would be Kamisama no Memochou.
Like, what the heck!? There were so many cool things a band of NEET detectives could accomplish, but the director just had to focus on the main protagonist, who turned out to be a boring, ordinary, and basically useless character. The only time when he came close to manning up was when he was beating the cr@p out of a guy who could hardly move...mmmhmm, "manly" indeed.

Pretty much this, it had alot of potential, but the director ruined it by focusing way too much on a boring and at times utterly useless character.
They should have dragged the show a bit longer and delayed the ending, that way they could have focused more on the "NEET detectives" part.

Todd
10-10-2011, 09:44 PM
Yes, I felt Akikan! could've had a better plot, or better plot development to have a second season. But it didn't. Which is really disappointing since the characters where so diverse and funny. Although, it comes from light novels and I really have no idea how those are going, but they could've done so much more.

Kazetori
11-01-2011, 02:15 AM
Deadman Wonderland

The manga is not finished and it's still pretty new but man am I itching for a second season.

solidarmor
11-01-2011, 09:54 AM
Chrome Shelled Regios felt like it was set up for at least 2 seasons especially with that kind of open ending in the last episode. If I remember correctly the director died so the second season hasn't been confirmed.

Yes...yes...yes. I loved this series for few short episodes it had and was very disappointed that it ended so quickly.

GameGeeks
11-01-2011, 10:15 AM
Gonna have to go with Pandora Hearts. Sucks they left it off at a massive cliffhanger.

BestFly
11-01-2011, 06:05 PM
SPOILERS MIGHT BE IN THIS POST FOR THE FOLLOWING SHOWS: Deadman Wonderland, Fractale, Hanasaku Iroha, C, and Ao No Exorcist.

1. Deadman Wonderland
Interesting concept, really strong first couple of episodes, but the show just tossed a million characters at you in 12 episodes. Also, the ending. WHY would you go back? Ganta was such a wimp and continued to be one throughout the entire show until his training with Crow. Which doesn't even make sense either because while he's doing this he is shooting blood around like crazy without a lot of bad effects, and then he does it in combat and faints.

2. Fractale
Okay, so the anime that was supposed to save anime from the evil moe empire. Again, a good premise, but terrible execution. This falls into the "only 11 episodes" problem where it would have been better if they could flesh out the story more. The problem I found is that almost nothing about Fractale really gets resolved.

3. Hanasaku Iroha
I really enjoyed this one at first, like first half of the run. Ohana was like "Festing it up". However, once she got settled in her job and such and the weird romances took place the show nose dived. Especially because of Ko. Never have I seen a character who is rarely in the show have such a negative effect on it.

4. C
Again, cool concept, but poor execution. The main faults here is that the ending was only like a temp fix for things. But, I think the tipping point was when that one episode clearly bashed America. I was like "really?"

5. Ao No Exorcist
Originally a very promising Shounen, similar in style (and premise) to Soul Eater. The big difference is that Soul Eater did an amazing job at fleshing out their cast to make everyone seem important (yeah they had twice the episodes but still). Ao No Exorcist gave good development to Rin and Yukio, but everyone else aside from Shura's boobs or Izumo's eyebrows are just so forgettable.

SpeaR
11-03-2011, 01:24 AM
C - sooo much potential big disappointments
Deadman Wonderland

symphofear
11-03-2011, 04:49 AM
Tsubasa Reservoir Chronicle! And XXXHolic!
Though they got season 2, but they got no ending!