PDA

View Full Version : OOC: Some questions about RP and related things (I think...)

BugPrime
09-14-2011, 04:25 PM
Hi everyone!
So first of all, I never tried a forum RP before, yet I really like the idea. Any rules I should know? How, where should I start?
Also I don't know if its count as RP or not, but there's a sort of switching storytelling (there were an episode in the Angry Beavers show once where they playing that, if you know what I'm talking about, than you can't be younger than me :D). Its kind of like writing without all the stat calculation and such, just purely for the story. I'd prefer that.
Also there are some preferred "universes" where I would play in, maybe someone can point me to the right direction for something like these or similar atmosphere, like the Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya or PPGD. (Don't know the last one? http://ppg.snafu-comics.com/)

sunnyside
09-14-2011, 04:39 PM
Well, there are the rules for the forum, and some rules for the board, see the sticky threads. You'll want to read those. Also note that there's a decent chance this thread will get locked because of them.

Anyway there aren't any really tabletop like RPGs here. You'll see some where you can only make certain attacks once every so many posts, and other with very rudimenatary mechanics. Most have a GM, so you can't just describe anything happening like you're playing mad libs, or write down what all the characters do and say, rather you describe what your character does and says.

There are a number of active games. Mine is Nightmarchers, and you're more than welcome to join! :)

RyuTama
09-14-2011, 05:28 PM
Hummm, a fellow newbie? Welcome welcome. I just started forum RPing as well (more used to D&D and the like). The main things you have to watch out for is godmodding (making your character invincible or all-powerful), and controlling other people's characters. Other than that, the GM will usually explain the specific rules to his or her game. I'm in the Wonderland RPG (http://www.animeforum.com/showthread.php?104750-RPG-Wonderland) at the moment (it just started about a week and a half ago, so you wouldn't be missing out on too much), so you can read through a bit of that if you're interested. If you wanna join, there's the Sign Up (http://www.animeforum.com/showthread.php?104714-Sign-up-Wonderland) thread, or you can PM HateSpawn98 .

Hope you find what you're looking for. ^^

Yukari
09-14-2011, 05:45 PM
To add of the RyuTama's post, there is also a Bleach RPG that will start Monday. It is looking for new RPGer's the make a character. The making of the character is simple. Most GM's will give an outline in which the player(yourself) with put in the appropriate information. The RPG is Bleach:Awakening of the Elder One. Also when you do post, it's a good idea to have close to perfect grammar. I understand some people, like myself, aren't the best of spellers. To get around that block myself, I usually type my post in a Word document where there is spell checker. Another good tip is, if you have an active RPG like Wonderland or Nightmarchers, It's good to refresh the page before posting, because in other RPG's I've been in, I didn't refresh the page and posted to find the person before me has posted as well and interfered with my post and I would have to rewrite everything. It was a pain. Also add as much sensory detail as possible. It helps the scene come alive and also helps your fellow players reply to you post with detail as well making is an extremely good RPG. If you want to see example posts, look at either my or RyuTama's post in Wonderland. Great sensory detail along with inner thoughts which help characters to express them selves more.

LadyPSerenity
10-12-2011, 05:27 PM
I won't close this thread, but in the future please read stickied topics first.

The thread should be labelled as OOC and you should read the sticky topics. Please also note that questions in regards to rules can be PMd to the moderators. We tend to answer though sometimes PMs I get get lost in other PMs if you don't hear back from me in a couple days feel free to PM again.

Anyway, your questions have been answered, and your thread retitled