PDA

View Full Version : Help looking for non asian anime

sal1964
08-29-2011, 11:05 PM
Could someone recommend some western themed anime, by western I mean western non oriental. My favorite so far is The Big O because its so similar to batman the animated series. Anything else like that, I'm not too big on all that ninja set in japan kind of stuff, I do like some of it, but I'm looking for stuff with a more western theme. Stuff like cowboy bebop, the big O preferably and sadly thats pretty much the only two I can think of :p
p.s I know all anime is asian I'm just talking about the theme

RyuTama
08-30-2011, 01:16 AM
Well, I suggest Kuroshitsuji (lit, Black Butler). It's set in Victorian Era Europe. Although just specifying Cowboy Bebop and The Big O didn't give me much room to guess the kind of plots/storylines you prefer, so I'm not sure if it would be something you'd be interested in or not. |||Orz

sal1964
08-30-2011, 01:30 AM
Well, I suggest Kuroshitsuji (lit, Black Butler). It's set in Victorian Era Europe. Although just specifying Cowboy Bebop and The Big O didn't give me much room to guess the kind of plots/storylines you prefer, so I'm not sure if it would be something you'd be interested in or not. |||Orz

thanks I'll check it out. Well I dont know too much about anime, but the stories I like are detective style, noir, crime stuff. also stuff having to do with guns and religion I dont know if that falls under any category. I'm more into american comics stuff like that of frank miller, so anything like that? Like I said I really enjoy batman the animated series, if only it were more explicit but that same style. again thanks for replying

PunkiePie
08-30-2011, 01:34 AM
RomeoxJuliet, Le Chevalier D'Eon(Set in France) and Trigun.

Those are a couple I could think off the top of my head.

RyuTama
08-30-2011, 01:38 AM
A bit yes. The main character, Ciel Phantomhive, is the sole survivor of a noble family, and is referred to as "The Queen's Watchdog", because he solves crimes and takes care of all the dirty stuff that happens on the streets of London (with the help of his "butler", of course). The main characters are also quite demented themselves, so it adds a bit more of a twist to it.

RomeoxJuliet, Le Chevalier D'Eon(Set in France) and Trigun.

D'oh, I forgot Trigun completely. QQ

PunkiePie
08-30-2011, 01:41 AM
A bit yes. The main character, Ciel Phantomhive, is the sole survivor of a noble family, and is referred to as "The Queen's Watchdog", because he solves crimes and takes care of all the dirty stuff that happens on the streets of London (with the help of his "butler", of course). The main characters are also quite demented themselves, so it adds a bit more of a twist to it.

D'oh, I forgot Trigun completely. QQ

Haha, I forgot to add Outlaw Star too. :X

But yeah, I haven't had a chance to watch Le Chevalier D'Eon yet, just going by what I read. Added it to my Netflix que recently. :P

sal1964
08-30-2011, 01:50 AM
Cool Ill check that black butler one for sure. But it seems alittle too steam punkish anything more towards the noir end of things? I already seen trigun it was pretty cool, anything else maybe produced between the late 80s to early 2000s. I'm not that big a fan of the new animation they use now a days in japan, I did like the animation style of trigun. I like the post 80's american animation but the thing is that in the U.S they still think of cartoons as kids stuff so there isnt that much mature stuff calamity jane and batman are the only semi adult cartoons from the U.S

GameGeeks
08-30-2011, 02:24 AM
I'm actually gonna recommend you look up Captain Harlock. There's many of them but look for one from 1978. It's space but seems closer to what you want. As for US animation I recommend Avatar but I'm going to go with you've already scene it.

sal1964
08-30-2011, 02:50 AM
I'm actually gonna recommend you look up Captain Harlock. There's many of them but look for one from 1978. It's space but seems closer to what you want. As for US animation I recommend Avatar but I'm going to go with you've already scene it.

that captain harlock looks pretty good, I'm a put it on my list. Yeah I seen avatar once, not my cup of tea. any suggestions on horror stuff? I liked the tomb of Dracula, I'm pretty sure it was Japanese from the dubbing, the dialogue was horrible but the plot and animation were great. Thanks for the help I love cartoons and probably seen almost all the good american stuff, but I never really got into the japanese stuff until now since I ran out of the other stuff. but with such a big selection I dont know where to begin and I dont wanna waste my time with the stupid stuff which there seems to be alot of. Thanks again for the help

GameGeeks
08-30-2011, 03:11 AM
Depends what you look for in such a category. Ghosts and goblins or mysterious deaths, etc.

sal1964
08-30-2011, 03:23 AM
Depends what you look for in such a category. Ghosts and goblins or mysterious deaths, etc.
Well some vampire stuff would be cool, stuff like hellsing none of that school girl vampire stuff :p and if possible again more westernized not based in japan, I watched a couple of witch hunter robin episodes but they were horrible much to boring. is there anything similar to the story line of resident evil? also anything having to do with satan and christianity is also good

Masakisu
08-30-2011, 03:24 AM
Nobody's said Baccano!. ): This is saddening.

Sui
08-30-2011, 03:33 AM
Baccano! - Action - North America and Europe
Dantalian no Shoka - Supernatural/mystery - England, I think
Full Metal Alchemist - Shonen/Action - Europe
Gosick - Mystery/romance - Fictional European country that I forgot the name of
Ikoku Meiro no Croisee - Slice of life - France
Sacred Blacksmith - Adventure - Europe by the looks of it...
Slayers - Adventure/comedy - A fictional world, but it's similar to Europe

Humm... I'm amazed, but that's honestly all I can think of... I never noticed how few anime series took place outside of Asia... Of course, there's still the Marvel anime that's recently been airing, but I've only seen Blade and didn't like it much... Also, there's a Batman anime called Batman: Gotham Knight, if you haven't seen it yet.

sal1964
08-30-2011, 03:46 AM
Nobody's said Baccano!. ): This is saddening.
Cool thanks! I glanced a little about it in wikipedia and it seems to be based in 1930's NY, thats pretty rad, and looks like it only has 16 episodes too. Defiantly my leisure time for the next couple of days, I'm working out of town right now and have alottt of free time for the next two weeks so I been trying to catch up on my cartoon watching and comic book reading. thanks

---------- Post added at 01:46 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:36 AM ----------

Baccano! - Action - North America and Europe
Dantalian no Shoka - Supernatural/mystery - England, I think
Full Metal Alchemist - Shonen/Action - Europe
Gosick - Mystery/romance - Fictional European country that I forgot the name of
Ikoku Meiro no Croisee - Slice of life - France
Sacred Blacksmith - Adventure - Europe by the looks of it...
Slayers - Adventure/comedy - A fictional world, but it's similar to Europe

Humm... I'm amazed, but that's honestly all I can think of... I never noticed how few anime series took place outside of Asia... Of course, there's still the Marvel anime that's recently been airing, but I've only seen Blade and didn't like it much... Also, there's a Batman anime called Batman: Gotham Knight, if you haven't seen it yet.

Thanks Ill check some of those out. I already saw full metal alchemist when it aired on adult swim, I came across a remake recently but it was the same thing so I didnt watch it. yeah I tried checking out the marvel anime stuff and its horrible, a blade cartoon would be wonderful but it has to be american, hopefully with the success of avengers and young justice american animation will make a comeback like when the WB was running the show in the 90s. Yeah I've seen gotham knight it was alright. thanks again for all the suggestions

GameGeeks
08-30-2011, 12:18 PM
I think the closest you'll find, at least that I know about, to zombies is Blood+. For vampire there's Vampire Hunter D. I've only seen the 1985 movie and not the 2000 one. There is some nudity but it's not the focus. There are others but they tend to be mostly post 2000.

OtakuInu!!!
08-31-2011, 10:50 AM
I'd suggest Hetalia since it's about different countries, but... I'm not sure if you'll like it.

I guess you could check out the Mobile Suit Gundam series. (:

sal1964
08-31-2011, 11:51 AM
I tried checkin out that baccano stuff and I was sorely disappointed.. the plot is good but nothing happens! I got to episode 5 and nothing happened I dont know what is going on, I dont know when they're in the train and when they're outside the train and what their powers actually are or mean how they got em. I dont know for a 16 episode show I should know what's is going on by now, I'm already 1/3 thorugh the show and I feel like i'm watching the first episode. But they get an A for effort not literally ofcourse. So I'll try something else

nrL
08-31-2011, 03:16 PM
Hellsing?

sal1964
08-31-2011, 10:00 PM
Hellsing?

yeah Ill give hellsing another go, I saw like 3 or 4 episodes way back in the day when it aired on starz and I think I saw a movie dont know if it was a movie. Anyways looks like theres a new hellsing ultimate or something, is it any good? should I check the old one or the new one?

nrL
08-31-2011, 10:31 PM
yeah Ill give hellsing another go, I saw like 3 or 4 episodes way back in the day when it aired on starz and I think I saw a movie dont know if it was a movie. Anyways looks like theres a new hellsing ultimate or something, is it any good? should I check the old one or the new one?

ultimate is better and more faithful to manga

sal1964
09-01-2011, 12:47 AM
ultimate is better and more faithful to manga

Kewl thanks. I'm actually watching it right now. its really good, I'm bearly into 40 mins of the first episode and I know whats going on already, the main characters already got identified, lots of action but with a plot and the voices are pretty good if it didnt look all animeie I would think it was an american or british cartoon. Thanks looks like its just a remake of the first one too but better. Well thanks again, so far somewhat what I was looking for, well in the horror dept atleast.