PDA

View Full Version : Desperate help for understanding a sentence needed!

AceNoctali
08-29-2011, 10:53 AM
Hi everyone,

Currently I'm translating a manga I like, and despite all my efforts, there's a line at one chapter I can't understand to save my life.

Scan 1 (http://img692.imageshack.us/img692/166/photo0088e.jpg) / Scan 2 (http://img571.imageshack.us/img571/7852/photo0089h.jpg)

The line that's giving me headaches is in Scan 2 (providing Scan 1 just to give you full context): けっこームリゆいますね あんたも。

On first translation, sounds something like "You're pretty unreasonable", but that sounds so out of place compared to the context...

Help, please? Of course, I'll make sure to give you credits when the translation will be published! Thanks in advance!

animeyay
08-29-2011, 01:44 PM
So, it depends on how liberal you're at translating.
I can think of many ways to say this, something like "Don't be silly."
"Don't be unreasonable." just sounds too stiff for the atmosphere.

Maybe someone else can offer a better suggestion.

Datenshi
08-29-2011, 02:53 PM
I suppose the first problem is how to translate ムリをいう. Judging from the context, some alternatives to "unreasonable" may be "self-centered", "stubborn", "spoiled", "childish" (something along the lines which suggests that the speaker had no regard for what other people think), or (as animeyay-san said) more simply "silly", "foolish".

The next problem is how to translate the けっこう~あんたも part. The underlying nuance is of one character "getting to know" the personality of another character, and you need to work that in somehow in order for the line to work in the given context.

Maybe you could play with something like; "I didn't know you were this unreasonable (self-centered/stubborn... silly, etc.)"; "You're (really) [a] pretty unreasonable [fellow], aren't you?"; "You're pretty unreasonable (youself), you know that?"; "You do realize you're being unreasonable".

If you want to opt to be more liberal, I think animeyay-san's "don't be silly/foolish" is to the point. My own liberal suggestion is "Listen to yourself!".

AceNoctali
09-04-2011, 08:13 AM
Thanks to the both of you for your help! :D

After careful reviewing, I think the liberal option is the way to go, and Animeyay's "Don't be silly" is the translation I like the most.

I'll make sure to credit the both of you when the translation will be released! ;)