PDA

View Full Version : Beginner's Signature of the Week?

Bulf
08-25-2011, 11:24 AM
A few people have been asking for this for a while, so I want to know if YOU'd want one. Since most of the beginners who enter normal sig of the week end up losing to more experienced users, I thought this would give them a fair shot. The themes will be easier and the competition won't be as experienced, so it should be fair. Users who normally enter sotw right now (you know who you are ;)) might be too experienced, and therefore won't be able to compete. I'll reject entries from higher members if they try to enter.

The term "beginner" can apply to anyone who doesn't think they're good enough for the normal sotw. The usual sotw competitors won't be allowed to enter this one, and vice versa. Once a some members think you're ready for the real sotw, we can move you up. Or you can request to be moved up whenever you think you're ready.

And if this goes through, how would you like votes to be passed? Here's a few suggestions:
---Polls
---The normal sotw way (pick someone and give feedback)
---Top three entries (pick your top three entries. Feedback is optional.
The ways to vote aren't limited to those, so if you have a suggestion, post it here! Also, would you like this to be anonymous or public? If public, you could request feedback on your entry, which i'll be happy to supply :D

The rest of the usual sotw entries will apply though. One entry per person, no cheating, yadda yadda etc.

So, what do you think? Should we try and get this going?

Also, normal sotw and experienced gfxers can help with this thread. feed back is appreciated!

EDIT: if you haven't joined AF's graphics group yet, feel free to: http://www.animeforum.com/group.php?groupid=90
It's a good way to improve and test your skills!

Daken.
08-25-2011, 11:42 AM
Beginner SOTW seems like a good thing. I think we should have one of those. If this does come through, I think we should vote like The normal sotw way. Because people can learn from others feedback.

tiv
08-25-2011, 11:56 AM
I think it's a good idea, it'll give the less experienced a chance to try. I think stating that people who have won x amount of times in sotw might be good to. So if someone has won say..two or more times, they can't enter. Not sure if it's a good idea, but just something to think about. :3

.Tatty.
08-25-2011, 02:59 PM
I'm all for this idea!

But I think seeing as it's beginners SoTW, just a couple sentences like in the old sotw voting just wont suffice.

maybe a whole paragraph on your said choice?

blueangel06661
08-25-2011, 03:10 PM
I actually wanted to bring this up as well. I do think there should be a beginners SOTW. :]

I've seen some rather.. Bad.. entries in SOTW.. But it's just because they are new to sig making however they had no chance of winning so I was like D: Awhhhhhhh~

Honestly I just like openly critiquing each entry. As they are new they could really use all the feedback they can. [But any form of work bashing/constant negativity from us advanced SOTW'ers should cost us a few rounds of SOTW.] Mainly because while critiquing the less advanced you shouldn't be so hard on them like we are with each other some of the time.

Archaic Devices
08-25-2011, 04:19 PM
I'm for it. Spread the word guys, couple people who responded are already advanced sig makers, and it'd be nice to get some responses from some newer people or people who aren't as good. Also, would you guys like it to have the same theme as sotw, or have it have a different theme?

Nanobyte
08-25-2011, 04:31 PM
When I'm done with my exams I'm seriously gonna give this a try.

Or at least when I have time, like the winter holidays.

Bibi of the Blue Sea
08-26-2011, 07:41 PM
This is a great idea. I've noticed when I submit something in a contest that mine are always lacking in comparison to the other entries. A beginner's SotW contest would be a great way to get experienced artists to leave feedback for the ones who aren't so great at it but still want to learn.

.Tatty.
08-26-2011, 08:53 PM
You know what would be great, the more experienced Illuminated Spirits members, volunteers of course, on rotation giving the winners a thorough CnC to help them improve just that little bit more.

Archaic Devices
08-26-2011, 09:02 PM
You know what would be great, the more experienced Illuminated Spirits members, volunteers of course, on rotation giving the winners a thorough CnC to help them improve just that little bit more.

If the winners request that, then that is fine.

Acnologia
08-27-2011, 02:58 AM
Yeah, my sigs are pretty bad, I can't even go into the SOTW so this would be a good experience.

Funny thing is I've been doing gfx since 07 yet I'm still at beginner level ;;

Yukari
08-27-2011, 09:32 AM
I think this is a great idea! I know I have entered Sotw a few times and have never won. In my opinion, I think the beginner's Sotw should have the same theme as the normal Sotw. Also I like the normal Sotw voting way.

Hanamaru Kunikida
08-27-2011, 10:41 AM
I think this is a great idea! I know I have entered Sotw a few times and have never won. In my opinion, I think the beginner's Sotw should have the same theme as the normal Sotw. Also I like the normal Sotw voting way.

Your stuff looks good though. O_o

But on topic, I think this would be good as well.

Yukari
08-27-2011, 11:07 AM
Your stuff looks good though. O_o

Haha Well thanks :) I suppose I just don't feel like I'm in the same league with Caret or Tatty and that's why I categorize myself with the newbies and why I strongly think we should have a Beginner Sotw

Ezza Obsuna
08-27-2011, 09:22 PM
Yes! Finally. I've only been making sets for myself for a couple of months at most. This would be just great! Voting should be just like the normal SOTW.

Archaic Devices
08-27-2011, 09:51 PM
Ok folks, if you want to participate in bsotw, it can be found here! http://www.animeforum.com/showthread.php?104611-Beginner-Signature-of-the-Week-1-Theme

Doctorshocks
08-28-2011, 01:25 AM
This sounds great to me. I just joined yesterday and have had a blast trolling these forums :)
I think I will make my second sig just for this.

Xanfiore
08-28-2011, 09:20 AM
I'm no good. So, can I? xD

Daken.
08-28-2011, 02:38 PM
I'm no good. So, can I? xD

You don't need permission, if you wish to join, then join. Lol.

Ezza Obsuna
09-22-2011, 10:02 PM
@ Loki : Shouldn't BSOTW winners get prizes too? I think that it will encourage more people to join if there's something that one can get from joining it.

Archaic Devices
09-22-2011, 10:06 PM
@ Loki : Shouldn't BSOTW winners get prizes too? I think that it will encourage more people to join if there's something that one can get from joining it.

I like that idea. I'll talk to Ace to get the approval.

Ezza Obsuna
09-22-2011, 10:08 PM
That would be superb. Thanks!

Kentaro Kurosaki
09-23-2011, 10:49 AM
I would love to have a beginner contest ^^ even a subforum

Can't think at the moment but will post what i think on how to vote and whether it to be private or public when i can think

SakuraKiss13
01-05-2012, 06:26 AM
I don't think I have the guts to do this. XD
I usually ask my classmate to do my edits and when I edit It always turn out as a disaster.
I don't have any knowledge. So, I guess I should just watch here and vote for my fave! :D

blueangel06661
01-05-2012, 09:07 AM
I don't think I have the guts to do this. XD
I usually ask my classmate to do my edits and when I edit It always turn out as a disaster.
I don't have any knowledge. So, I guess I should just watch here and vote for my fave! :D

I demand you to join!!!! >:[ Come on we'll lasso you onto the gfx side, while promising not to dump our paint bucket on you while we offer you some nice crops from our garden. :3

Archaic Devices
01-05-2012, 11:40 AM
If more people don't participate, we'll probably cancel BSOTW all together.

SakuraKiss13
01-06-2012, 06:59 AM
I demand you to join!!!! >:[ Come on we'll lasso you onto the gfx side, while promising not to dump our paint bucket on you while we offer you some nice crops from our garden. :3

Haha. That's nice to you to say. But I only make my animated signatures and avatars usually.

Archaic Devices
01-06-2012, 11:11 AM
Haha. That's nice to you to say. But I only make my animated signatures and avatars usually.

Animated sigs are fine.

SakuraKiss13
01-06-2012, 10:24 PM
So, I can join with animated sigs? ^^

Light Buster
01-06-2012, 11:57 PM
I would join BSOTW but the themes are not really based on my signatures I usually create (as you can see in my signature thread...).

Though I will try more variety if I have the time to look at the theme.

Archaic Devices
01-07-2012, 08:04 AM
So, I can join with animated sigs? ^^

Yup. It'd be a nice change of pace, actually.

blueangel06661
01-07-2012, 08:53 AM
I would join BSOTW but the themes are not really based on my signatures I usually create (as you can see in my signature thread...).

Though I will try more variety if I have the time to look at the theme.

Yeah, you're going to unfortunately going to have to expand your variety a bit if you wish to improve. Trying a few new things whilst sticking to what you like is the best way to go. Though you don't have to go overboard.. But you know about once a month or so is better than none :)

SakuraKiss13
01-07-2012, 09:33 AM
Yup. It'd be a nice change of pace, actually.

YAY! I'll probably join this! XD

philiprambo
02-22-2012, 03:45 AM
Good stuff posted.

Ayu 「あゆ」
05-27-2012, 04:01 AM
@Ellipsis (http://www.animeforum.com/member.php?127657-Ellipsis)

I would definitely like it if we had a Signature of the Week for Beginners. I'll participate whenever I can. I can get some Photoshop practice from it. So I give it two thumbs up!

beeduq
05-27-2012, 04:22 AM
Yep, Me too. SOTW are too good, need some in my level to compete, or getting some inspirations. ^^

Bulf
05-27-2012, 01:12 PM
Alright, I'll start one next saturday and hope it stays around this time :p

swordie
11-05-2012, 12:11 PM
I'm in! :D