PDA

View Full Version : How do you feel when people insult your favorite anime?

Vanilla Tsundere
07-19-2011, 09:29 AM
Or just anime in general? I personally don't care, because I make fun of stuff I like all the time, and I don't get mad if people don't feel the same way I do.

blueangel06661
07-19-2011, 09:49 AM
I insult a lot of people for watching nothing but what is shown on Adult Swim. So I have no right to be offended back if someone says they don't like a show I watch. I just shrug and go about my business. People have their opinions and I have mine. Though for some reason people are scared of my opinions. I need to work on that.

nrL
07-19-2011, 10:26 AM
If they dislike my favourite one(code geass), and they actually watched it I'm all like "why would you, lol O_O"
And if they don't like anime in general- I'm trying to discuss it with them and make them like it. Most of the time they're just ignorant, or self-deceiving or suffering from Animation Age Ghetto and I do feel obliged to help them.

Aku no Hikari
07-19-2011, 10:37 AM
There's a fine line between fandom and fanaticism, and I never understood the latter. I watch/read anime/manga and I criticize and maybe make fun of my favorites all the time. You rarely ever see something perfect (if at all). Some people don't seem to comprehend that any series (hell, anything ever made) in the world can have good and bad sides, and that none of these sides can make the other ones any less "existent".

That means that when I write (objectively and politely) in my critique that [A] is bad, it doesn't automatically mean that [B], [C], [D] and [E] are all bad and that your precious, precious series sucks balls and should have never been made. Jeez, some people just can't read.

One of my flaws in the past is that I used to fail to draw the lines between the objective and the subjective (content vs. relating to it/enjoying it), and underrate (and insult) work on subjective basis. For example, the Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya contained a fair share of thoughtful content (at least for its breed), but I was all like "harr harr, this is useless garbage" when in reality, my problem was mostly that I did not happen to relate to it.

Learning from that flaw made me start to see how people do it all the time. A lot of people underrate brilliant series just because they didn't happen to relate to them (or worse: just because they weren't infatuated with the characters). Sometimes, it kinda makes feel me a little sad to see that, although I'm mostly apathetic to it (... just as apathetic as I am towards anything else that is upside-down).

Finally, I don't really take offense from anything. It's really hard to offend me with your opinion about what I like or dislike.

Vanilla Tsundere
07-19-2011, 10:47 AM
I'm trying to discuss it with them and make them like it. Most of the time they're just ignorant, or self-deceiving or suffering from Animation Age Ghetto and I do feel obliged to help them.
I very respectfully disagree with that. I don't think it's right to "make someone like something" honestly. I know a lot of people who don't like anime, just because they're not interested, and I just leave it at that. I think it's sad if they just turn it away because of the art style or not giving the stories a chance, but I wouldn't say they're self-deceiving or suffering from Animation Age Ghetto, if you will.

There's a fine line between fandom and fanaticism, and I never understood the latter. I watch/read anime/manga and I criticize and maybe make fun of my favorites all the time. You rarely ever see something perfect (if at all). Some people don't seem to comprehend that any series (hell, anything ever made) in the world can have good and bad sides, and that none of these sides can make the other ones any less "existent".

That means that when I write (objectively and politely) in my critique that [A] is bad, it doesn't automatically mean that [B], [C], [D] and [E] are all bad and that your precious, precious series sucks balls and should have never been made. Jeez, some people just can't read.

One of my flaws in the past is that I used to fail to draw the lines between the objective and the subjective (content vs. relating to it/enjoying it), and underrate (and insult) work on subjective basis. For example, the Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya contained a fair share of thoughtful content (at least for its breed), but I was all like "harr harr, this is useless garbage" when in reality, my problem was most that I did not happen to relate to it.

Learning from that flaw made me start to see how people do it all the time. A lot of people underrate brilliant series just because they didn't happen to relate to them (or worse: just because they weren't infatuated with the characters). Sometimes, it kinda makes feel me a little sad to see that, although I'm mostly apathetic to it (... just as apathetic as I am towards anything else that is upside down).

Finally, I don't really take offense from anything. It's really hard to offend me with your opinion about what I like or dislike.
I feel the same way.

nrL
07-19-2011, 11:10 AM
I very respectfully disagree with that. I don't think it's right to "make someone like something" honestly. I know a lot of people who don't like anime, just because they're not interested, and I just leave it at that. I think it's sad if they just turn it away because of the art style or not giving the stories a chance, but I wouldn't say they're self-deceiving or suffering from Animation Age Ghetto, if you will.

Now, now, now, now. You have misunderstood what I meant and quickly jumped to false conclusions.
Like I said, I discuss it with them. And, based on my experience I can indeed conclude that most of the time it's due to the things I have mentioned.
You can't say person is just not interested in anime. That's true only in very, very rare cases. Every one of us enjoys fiction; 2D animation is just a medium, same as "RL" movies or 3D animation. Most of the time they only claim to not be interested, and most of the time it is because they are ignorant.
Example- I know a guy who didn't watch anime and was totally ignorant of the genre. He was not interested in anime....but he did enjoyed thrillers/mystery movies. I directed him to Higurashi. He loved it.

And I don't see a reason why shouldn't I try to persuade these people. If they are some people whom I met over the internet-it's always good to help a person overcome their own delusions. If they are my RL friends-it's always good to have friends who share similar interests as myself. And it's not like I'm forcing them-most of the time it's just persuasion.

Vanilla Tsundere
07-19-2011, 11:18 AM
Now, now, now, now. You have misunderstood what I meant and quickly jumped to false conclusions.
Like I said, I discuss it with them. And, based on my experience I can indeed conclude that most of the time it's due to the things I have mentioned.
You can't say person is just not interested in anime. That's true only in very, very rare cases. Every one of us enjoys fiction; 2D animation is just a medium, same as "RL" movies or 3D animation. Most of the time they only claim to not be interested, and most of the time it is because they are ignorant.
Example- I know a guy who didn't watch anime and was totally ignorant of the genre. He was not interested in anime....but he did enjoyed thrillers/mystery movies. I directed him to Higurashi. He loved it.

And I don't see a reason why shouldn't I try to persuade these people. If they are some people whom I met over the internet-it's always good to help a person overcome their own delusions. If they are my RL friends-it's always good to have friends who share similar interests as myself. And it's not like I'm forcing them-most of the time it's just persuasion.
People have the ability to not be interested in anime from an artistic standpoint. I've met people who aren't interested because they think the style in general is just ugly, or something they're not into. Yes, anime has very diverse styles, but that's just how people think. And eh, I just don't think it matters enough to try and persuade them.

battousai_ryuu
07-19-2011, 11:20 AM
I couldn't care less if someone insults my choice in anime or anime in general. The way I see it is that there is one key difference between them an I? I'll respect what they choose to watch while they dis my choices ^-^

Masakisu
07-19-2011, 11:26 AM
As long as it's not prejudiced insulting, then I don't care, people have opinions.

If it's just making light of something, then I'll join in myself. Fullmetal Alchemist is my de facto favourite anime, and I make light of it all the time (Ed and Al are obviously gay).

Vanilla Tsundere
07-19-2011, 11:31 AM
If it's just making light of something, then I'll join in myself. Fullmetal Alchemist is my de facto favourite anime, and I make light of it all the time (Ed and Al are obviously gay).
LOL, I make light fun of FMA all the time. I love it so much. <3

nrL
07-19-2011, 12:27 PM
^Well, there is nothing wrong in making fun of something if you mean it as a joke.

But, I feel deep, almost sexual urge to revive the prevoius issue for a moment.....

And eh, I just don't think it matters enough to try and persuade them.

While I can support such an approach if you deal with people over the internet, I don't see why wouldn't you want to change your closest environment for a one that is suiting you more.
But, I guess it's just the matter of personality ^_^

Yes, anime has very diverse styles, but that's just how people think.

But why, why, why. I always try to find the source and help them deal with it. Is it the big eyes they don't like? The animation? The colors? Etc, etc. If people don't like the "general art style" it's always due to some trivial reasons that shatter if confronted by the so-called "logic".
But that's me again; Now that I think abut it it may be due to my superiority complex as I treat every "turned" person as a personal victory of mine.

Elukien
07-19-2011, 12:36 PM
I don't care if people like or dislike what I enjoy. Their opinion on a favorite show or anime in general isn't going to change my opinion likewise for them.

Nanobyte
07-19-2011, 12:52 PM
http://legacyentries.weheartit.netdna-cdn.com/20090314204434.jpg

invalidation
07-19-2011, 01:06 PM
Well, I feel like they are ignorant and stupid and unworthy of my judgment.

^ sounds shallow, I know.

OtakuInu!!!
07-19-2011, 01:11 PM
Well, I feel like I'm the one being insulted but I just let it slide since THEY WILL NEVER UNDERSTAND. :P IMO.

DoubleKatana
07-19-2011, 01:16 PM
If their insults have valid logic, then it doesn't piss me off. Insults born from ignorance really get to me.

Vanilla Tsundere
07-19-2011, 01:34 PM
But why, why, why. I always try to find the source and help them deal with it. Is it the big eyes they don't like? The animation? The colors? Etc, etc. If people don't like the "general art style" it's always due to some trivial reasons that shatter if confronted by the so-called "logic".
But that's me again; Now that I think abut it it may be due to my superiority complex as I treat every "turned" person as a personal victory of mine.
Ugh, I know right? It does bother me when people say all anime looks the same. All people have to do is look at Death Note and compare it Tokyo Mew Mew.

Capitán
07-19-2011, 02:03 PM
I don't feel insulted at all. Just as long as they keep it verbal.

MNX3
07-19-2011, 02:21 PM
if he or she insult my favorite anime,I will kick his a.. then I will make him hate his life :mad:

Vanilla Tsundere
07-19-2011, 02:24 PM
if he or she insult my favorite anime,I will kick his a.. then I will make him hate his life :mad:
That was...a joke, right?

Gero50
07-19-2011, 02:29 PM
Honestly I try not to let it get to me. Though I guess it all depends on the degree to which it or myself are being insulated.

Capitán
07-19-2011, 02:30 PM
MNX3: Yeah those peeps need to be thought a lesson. Amirite hater?