PDA

View Full Version : [News] Following the 2011 possible "Hack War"

blueangel06661
07-01-2011, 05:34 PM
Seems like a lot has been going on this year in terms of hacking between Anonymous and Lulzsec the two most popular.

The first major hack was directed at Sony/PSN which took down the network for nearly a month. Then they attacked other Sony things.

Nintendo got hacked as well at some point and a few government officials.

As of now the current hacking story with "Anon" is based right here in Orlando. Over homeless people and food.

Hacker activists with the protest group "Anonymous" have in recent weeks taken down over a half-dozen major Orlando, Florida-based websites and spammed tens of thousands of unsolicited faxes all over the city as a response to an ordinance that prohibits feeding homeless people in public parks.

In a release Friday on the progress of what they called "Operation Orlando," the group insisted that its efforts were in no way connected to the activists with Food Not Bombs (FNB), who've been arrested for feeding the homeless in a city park.

Story: http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2011/07/01/anonymous-activists-to-test-orlando-police-by-feeding-homeless-on-monday/

So basically some people did this and got arrested months ago. Then "Anon" hacked them. And other stuffs. Now the activist are taking to the streets. Sort of interesting to see something web based come out from the computers and into the real world. I predict much more is to come in this hacking epidemic.

Hacking and releasing confidential information is bad but what about this new story? Is it still bad if they are shedding light on a serious problem but in their own way? As time progresses more hacking stories will probably come out so you're opinions/updates are welcome.

Hanamaru Kunikida
07-01-2011, 05:35 PM
Well, Lulz got scared so they disbanded.

And yeah, I recently found out about that Orlando hacking story. o.o Like wth?

Token Black Guy
07-01-2011, 07:31 PM
Man, reading this got me wanting to watch the movie "Hackers" again. But seriously wth is up with all the hacking lately? This is starting to get crazy.

CryBabyWearingDiaper
07-01-2011, 07:52 PM
I'd go and set up a table there.., If i didnt live on the other side of the country...

niKopol
07-01-2011, 08:36 PM
Hacker wars? No. A lot of hacking has gone on in the past. I don't know why all of a sudden there is a sudden surge of public knowledge hacking other than to get attention or show off how they can DDoS.

It interests people is why the news publishes it/sensationalizes on it and most of the hackers themselves are after attention.

alizun
07-11-2011, 05:17 AM
Hacking has always been going on since computers existed. It's nothing new, it's just that they chose to go for companies which are in the public eye and reveal the information that it became pubic knowledge. But incidents of hacking has always been made aware of the computing community. DDOsing itself is common as muck and has been happening for years.

I also find it funny how Lulzsec claimed to hack a hacking forum. When in fact the hacking forum was hacked by someone else (I believe it was last feb), who didn't reveal the list of user information. All they did was publish the information but they claimed they hacked it, which is amusing as they never.

blueangel06661
07-11-2011, 07:53 AM
Well no duh hacking has been going on since computers have been around basically. You're not the brightest crayon in the box by saying that. Everyone already knows. We're just talking about the 2011 hacks which have made it big. No problem with doing that..

Sejskaler
07-14-2011, 11:13 AM
I do not think that theese guys will get to a real fight, i mean, lulzsec and anonymous...
Anonymous is fighting for freedom on the internet, so they probably dont want any interference.
I dont know alot of Lulzsec, but i dont think they will go towards eachother ;)

invalidation
07-14-2011, 11:18 AM
I'm not sure WHY these companies are getting hacked, but it seems as though the best ones are the ones being attacked. O_O

Sony and Nintendo?

Come on, guys, there might be a conspiracy. O:

Emphasis
07-25-2011, 01:23 PM
Not even 1 attack on Microsoft...

Alphabet
07-25-2011, 02:14 PM
I'm pretty sure that Anonymous is hacking for a direct purpose or to prove a point. I know nothing of Lulzsec though.
ooshy ooshy ooshy

Omni Movement
08-19-2011, 06:40 AM
Lulzsec's reason for hacking is in their name and they're pretty active on twitter. One hacks you didn't include was HB Gary. I think that the dudes were part of Anonymous before they formed the group, and they have worked hand-in-hand with them a few times.

Hacking has existed for as long as computers have and it happens everyday. The reason why we're really freaking out about this is because there are people coming out and saying that they hacjed x big name company. It's not really the DDoS that hurts the companies, it's the loss of trust that the end users have for hacked compaines

Velvet_Nightmare
08-19-2011, 11:04 PM
Only now that social networking and being on the internet seems necessary to daily life for people, that's why they fear a "hacker war."

Even when Myspace was the thing, nobody gave a flip because they either weren't on enough to get hacked, or they were too stupid to notice. But now with phishing and all that jazz becoming more known, people are finally realizing, "OH SNAP, I'm not 100% safe on the net!"

TheAsterisk!
08-20-2011, 09:33 AM
Anonymous (or AnonOps- never quite sure if they're the same or merely related) has cracked and DDoS'd sites of groups they think are unethical or objectionable before. Remember their attacks on a few Scientology websites, coupled with black faxes and the like? They also targeted VISA and MasterCard when they stopped allowing the use of their credit cards for donation to Wikileaks, etc., and of course they targeted a few lawyers who had been mass-emailing settlement demands for alleged copyright infringement (often with no cause- just sent out the demands to a mailing list).

LulzSec is like the more mischievous side of Anonymous, though: just in it for the lulz. Though not apparently responsible for the big PSN crack, a couple of times LulzSec waited until Sony's corporate flacks had assured everyone their security was excellent and robust before publicly targeting and defacing other Sony sites- music, motion pictures, etc., just to make Sony look foolish.

Spydermonkey
09-15-2011, 10:14 AM
I for one pray for the hack war. For it will make people who ant use computers well fear them and make them actually learn how to do things instead of whining about it to the companies and stop people from complaining about warranties and and fix it themselves

---------- Post added at 11:14 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:13 AM ----------

cant not ant sorry didn't realize the grammar error