PDA

View Full Version : Man Seeks Jail For Treatment

GameGeeks
06-21-2011, 02:36 PM
http://news.yahoo.com/s/yblog_thelookout/20110621/ts_yblog_thelookout/man-robs-bank-to-get-medical-care-in-jail

Just goes to show how effed up things are getting here.

Gero50
06-21-2011, 02:49 PM
I feel bad for him. I know things are getting to be very bad and if anything there is no sign of improvement either. At least not for a while yet.

I A
06-21-2011, 02:55 PM
F'd up indeed. >.>

Meteorkeeper
06-21-2011, 02:57 PM
Sigh...thats all I have to say about that.

Lunafreya Fleuret
06-21-2011, 04:07 PM
Wow, just wow. ;o_o

Eris
06-21-2011, 04:13 PM
Meanwhile in Sweden, I just came back from a doctor's appointment. Cost approximately $20.

GameGeeks
06-21-2011, 06:22 PM
Meanwhile in Sweden, I just came back from a doctor's appointment. Cost approximately $20.
Chances are, here, that's just the co-pay. And considering my personal insurance, I'd still owe $2/300 on top of that.

~*Red*~
06-21-2011, 07:06 PM
Damn, that is f'd up well and truly o_o

animeyay
06-21-2011, 07:10 PM
Yep, as though I need more depressing news...>.>
I'm just glad my body doesn't get sick/injured often, seeing that I don't even have any insurance. =x

Xeyuzio
06-21-2011, 07:10 PM
I read the story, I would have just asked his siblings, I'm sure they would have said yes if they knew he was planning to do that. Also jail is too risky, a lot of things can happen in jail...

Aleyna
06-21-2011, 07:12 PM
You know something's up when you have to rob a bank for a dollar to get health insurance. I hope things get better for him, and even way better in 2014.

The Rebel
06-21-2011, 07:13 PM
Seriously though, that IS one hell of a way to deal with a problem at hand, lol. But it's true that it's pretty sad a man has to sink to such a thing just to get some medical care. Most other countries have had universal healthcare systems in place for a long time now, and seem to work quite well. But then that's the probolem isn't it? It works well for the people! The US is not about the people anymore, it's ALL about corporations and money.

You know something's up when you have to rob a bank for a dollar to get health insurance. I hope things get better for him, and even way better in 2014.

Sadly, they will only get worse. Obama's "Health Care Solution" is a joke. It's designed to make sure they can get their money out of EVERYONE. And if you can't get insurance, can't aford it, or such they fine you for it. I fear the "Great" USA has just become another corrupted blood sucking leech that is capable of finding new ways of feeding off it's own people.

blueangel06661
06-21-2011, 07:28 PM
I owe thousands in medical bills.

I went to the doctors not too long ago because my hair is falling out drastically. They did nothing but refer me to have another dexa scan for vitamin deficiency or something. $70.. And the scans cost about $200...

My medical insurance took about 20-40 percent of my moms income .___. so I'm not medically insured anymore. Even though I have to go to the doctors a few time every 6 months.

Aleyna
06-21-2011, 07:28 PM
Sadly, they will only get worse. Obama's "Health Care Solution" is a joke. It's designed to make sure they can get their money out of EVERYONE. And if you can't get insurance, can't aford it, or such they fine you for it. I fear the "Great" USA has just become another corrupted blood sucking leech that is capable of finding new ways of feeding off it's own people.

Hah, that's why I wanted Hilary Clinton to be president, I agree with her universal health care plan.

GameGeeks
06-21-2011, 07:59 PM
Guys, universal health care isn't the end all be all for things like this. It has its own issues. Just look at Canada, you could end up waiting months for treatment there. Sure it's free but there's also a chance what ever you have could get worse before they see you.

Nesh
06-22-2011, 03:26 AM
Looks like my country wasn't the only one messed up.
I truly pity the guy, but just like Zoi Yex said it's not so safe in jail either. - For example, the hygiene is on low level, propely speaking there isn't any at all. There was this one time I read in the newpaper where a 3-months pregnat woman lost the baby because of the jails conditions.

The Rebel
06-22-2011, 11:19 AM
Around here, they just kill the losers in prison and jail. One thing you don't want to be going into jail/prison is a child molester, child killer, ex-cop, and some poor soft shmuck pulling off a stupid crime for stupid reasons. Course, his reasons weren't all that stupid in this case.

Manhattan_Project_2000
06-22-2011, 01:00 PM
System is working. Move along, nothing to see here.

Guys, universal health care isn't the end all be all for things like this. It has its own issues. Just look at Canada, you could end up waiting months for treatment there. Sure it's free but there's also a chance what ever you have could get worse before they see you.
Or look at any Scandinavian country/Germany. Things always look bad when you compare it to the worst possible example.

GameGeeks
06-22-2011, 01:48 PM

Or look at any Scandinavian country/Germany. Things always look bad when you compare it to the worst possible example.Wasn't my intention to make it look bad. Just to show that it could be screwed up to. And considering our current government, that's a strong possibility.

The Rebel
06-22-2011, 02:35 PM
And considering our current government, that's a strong possibility.

Possibility? More like fact. The US government is completely and utterly corrupt. It's all about the money. After all, when was the last time you heard of the government truely giving a rat's you know what about it's people? We have homelessness on the rise, but they haven't done anything to encourage low cost housing? Instead we're paying HUGE salaries to have politicians in office. They want to turn the debt around, cut the salaries of politicians, cut back on weapons developement, and do away with 200+ agencies assigned to spy on US and others when they only need maybe two.
Our government is literally the BIGGEST waste of money IN the United States. Even a quarter cut would mean tons of money freed up to do good for the US. But will it happen? Answer is no.

Chigumi
06-22-2011, 04:00 PM
I bet his butt felt itchy.

Manhattan_Project_2000
06-22-2011, 07:14 PM
Possibility? More like fact. The US government is completely and utterly corrupt. It's all about the money. After all, when was the last time you heard of the government truely giving a rat's you know what about it's people? We have homelessness on the rise, but they haven't done anything to encourage low cost housing? Instead we're paying HUGE salaries to have politicians in office. They want to turn the debt around, cut the salaries of politicians, cut back on weapons developement, and do away with 200+ agencies assigned to spy on US and others when they only need maybe two.
Our government is literally the BIGGEST waste of money IN the United States. Even a quarter cut would mean tons of money freed up to do good for the US. But will it happen? Answer is no.

Far be it from me to appear to defend politicians, but almost all of them on the national level were independently millionaires before seeking office and spent their own money to get elected. A fair number took pay cuts to be in congress, mostly because compared to the private sector the government plays badly all around.

Eris
06-22-2011, 07:16 PM
I bet his butt felt itchy.

The funny part is that America is one of few countries in the world that has this weird gay prison rape thing going on.

Wio
06-22-2011, 09:40 PM

Or look at any Scandinavian country/Germany. Things always look bad when you compare it to the worst possible example.
What is preventing certain states from establishing their own subsidized health care system? Many of them have populations at or above that of a Scandinavian country. They could discriminate in the same way Universities do when determining tuition to deter free riders. The key difference here is that a state, unlike a Scandinavian country, can't print out currency to sustain such a system. You have to take whiteout and ink to the constitution to establish nationwide subsidized health care.

Eris
06-22-2011, 10:16 PM
What is preventing certain states from establishing their own subsidized health care system? Many of them have populations at or above that of a Scandinavian country. They could discriminate in the same way Universities do when determining tuition to deter free riders. The key difference here is that a state, unlike a Scandinavian country, can print out currency to sustain such a system. You have to take whiteout and ink to the constitution to establish nationwide subsidized health care.

Printing money would lead to a rampant inflation that is not present in Scandinavia. But state-level health care is a good idea, very much how it works in the EU, which doesn't meddle in the health care of it's member nations, but lets them work it out on their own. Also, smaller governments are less wasteful.

Wio
06-22-2011, 10:30 PM
I don't disagree. I'm just establishing one note worthy difference between a state in the U.S. and a Scandinavian country. States have to be more strict about financing things as they can only borrow as much as others are willing to lend.

Miss Moonlight
06-22-2011, 10:48 PM
Wow. That is sad and pretty desperate. :[

... I never would have thought jail to be an option. O_o

Manhattan_Project_2000
06-23-2011, 12:45 AM
What is preventing certain states from establishing their own subsidized health care system? Many of them have populations at or above that of a Scandinavian country. They could discriminate in the same way Universities do when determining tuition to deter free riders.
Nothing, but I'm of the opinion that 50 different healthcare systems is a worse solution then one good one.

The key difference here is that a state, unlike a Scandinavian country, can print out currency to sustain such a system.
I'm absolutely positive the right to establish currency is reserved to congress. Not that printing currency would be a good idea.

You have to take whiteout and ink to the constitution to establish nationwide subsidized health care.

I've never heard an argument for why that would be the case, just people reading certain articles and interjecting their views in between the lines. But at any rate, it's a moot point because the constitution is a living document.

Wio
06-23-2011, 03:03 AM
Nothing, but I'm of the opinion that 50 different healthcare systems is a worse solution then one good one.
It allows states who don't want to have public health care not to have it. It allows states that do want it to optimize their system. It allows American citizens to vote with their feet without emigration. I'm not sure how mainstreaming it will help anything.

I'm absolutely positive the right to establish currency is reserved to congress. Not that printing currency would be a good idea.
If only I didn't give so much context to that sentence, maybe the typo would not have been too obvious to notice.

I've never heard an argument for why that would be the case, just people reading certain articles and interjecting their views in between the lines. But at any rate, it's a moot point because the constitution is a living document.
The national government only has a few enumerated powers, and every thing else is strictly prohibit and left to the states. Basically if you think something is constitutional, name the power that makes it so, otherwise it's unconstitutional. It's only a moot point because SCOTUS consistently uses their invisible, pink constitution to undermine everything written in the actual one that was endowed to us ignorant hillbillies. I concede that much. Supposing that unconstitutional legislation would require an amendment to be enforced was wishful thinking on my part.

Chigumi
06-23-2011, 12:14 PM
The funny part is that America is one of few countries in the world that has this weird gay prison rape thing going on.
Yeah it is soooo frikkin creepy. I would be scared as a man, to go there o.o

Manhattan_Project_2000
06-24-2011, 02:05 PM
It allows states who don't want to have public health care not to have it. It allows states that do want it to optimize their system. It allows American citizens to vote with their feet without emigration. I'm not sure how mainstreaming it will help anything.Leaving it to the states is the same thing as not having it at all because of how states do their budgets. States aren't supposed to go into debt, so in order to make any sort of big new system they have to front the money or convince the US Government to. The first is unlikely because of how short-sighted any elected official is expected by their electorate to be and the latter would go over like a lead balloon. The US government, however, is able to go into debt at will and pay for stuff later, which actually allows officeholders to make big plans that outlast them.

If only I didn't give so much context to that sentence, maybe the typo would not have been too obvious to notice.I'm not sure I understand, especially since you verified that you were talking about printing currency when you replied to Eris when she was saying it was a bad idea to.

The national government only has a few enumerated powers, and every thing else is strictly prohibit and left to the states. Basically if you think something is constitutional, name the power that makes it so, otherwise it's unconstitutional. It's only a moot point because SCOTUS consistently uses their invisible, pink constitution to undermine everything written in the actual one that was endowed to us ignorant hillbillies. I concede that much. Supposing that unconstitutional legislation would require an amendment to be enforced was wishful thinking on my part.
There are two ways to read the constitution, either in the way a D&D rule lawyer reads the 3.5 Character Guide or in an intelligent way that takes into account what the founding fathers actually meant. I'd love to hear what evidence anyone has to think that they thought states specifically should pay doctors to do anything for anyone. In context, the Constitution is completely blank on the subject, and it's up for grabs until the Supreme Court or an amendment say otherwise.

Unlikely, men have a marked propensity to ignore the owner of a particular orifice in an all-male environment, it's mostly good 'ole American homophobia that's made it such a meme.

niKopol
06-24-2011, 03:15 PM

That isn't a sign of universal healthcare. When I set up doctors appointments I have to wait months at a time before being seen. Dentist, family doctor, psychologist... Don't say that when its just a sign of everyone using a service.