PDA

View Full Version : Yurica Nagasawa - Shinkirou (Just a check to see if I correctly understood the song)

AceNoctali
06-17-2011, 11:47 AM
Hi everyone,

I just finished translated the opening of the PS1 video game Lightning Legend: Daigo no Daibouken, "Shinkirou" (Mirage) by Yurica Nagasawa.

The song's energic BGM is pretty fitting for this Fighting game, but as I translated the song, seems like the lyrics absolutely aren't. So I'd like to ask your opinion:

To me, I understood the song's story as a extremely passionate, dare I say borderline destructive, lesbian love (mostly due to the use of female-based particle "wa", and a few lines like the use of "onna" in the lyrics for the sung "hito", or the "dark-purple polished nails" bit). Am I correct in my interpretation?

Here are the Japanese lyrics, followed by my translation:

忘れないで もう一度出逢う
運命はこの愛の味方
忘れないで 時さえも越える
あなたの隣に生まれるわ

暗闇も孤独も怖くない 夜は慰めだもの
うなされてすぐ消える
夢だって貴方に逢えるから

砂漠の空 つないだ指の隙間を狙って
あなたをわしづかみする
葡萄色したマニキュアの爪

命を焦がしてく太陽に
涙が乾きつくされても
あなたの微笑みは蜃気楼
女(ひと)は求めずにいられない

ひからびて風に散る花でも 最後まで花がいい
憎んでよ 憎むほど
ねえ私忘れられないでしょう

砂漠の果て 哀しみさえも生きてる証
あきらめる痛みより
愛してく苦しみを選ぶわ

命を焦がしてく太陽に
涙が乾きつくされても
あなたの微笑みは蜃気楼
女(ひと)は求めずにいられない

忘れないで もう一度出逢う
どこまでも追い駆けて行くわ
忘れないで 何度でも出逢う
あなたの隣に生まれるわ

命を焦がしてく太陽に
涙が乾きつくされても
あなたの微笑みは蜃気楼
女(ひと)は求めずにいられない

Don't forget me, we'll meet once again
As fate is the ally of this love
Don't forget me, I'll cross even time
So I'll be born by your side.

I'm not afraid of either darkness or solitude, the night is something that comforts me
When a nightmare torments me, it soon disappears,
Because I can meet you in my dreams.

Under the desert's sky, I aim for the aperture of your connecting fingers
And grab
Those dark-purple polished nails of yours.

Even if my tears were to be dried up
Under the life-scorching sun,
Your smile is a mirage
That women can't help but to seek.

Even if the flowers shrivel and are scattered by the wind, they'll be fine till the end
Hate me, but more than hating me,
Say, you can't forget about me, can't you?

At the ends of the desert, even sadness is a proof of living
Rather than the pain of giving up,
I choose the hardship of loving

Your smile is a mirage

Don't forget me, we'll meet once again
I'll go and chase after you no matter where you are
Don't forget me, we'll meet again and again
As I'll be born by your side.

Your smile is a mirage

Could you also please check out if the translation is okay? If my interpretation of the song is correct, I can then say I'm confident in my translation, but just in case.

Also, another thing I'd like to ask, regarding the "onna - hito" bit: if the lesbian love interpretation is correct, isn't it better to then translate the line as: "That even women can't help but to seek.", in order to make more apparent she's saying that the girl has a smile that attract all people (hito), and even women (onna)?

Thanks a ton in advance for your help! :)

animeyay
06-17-2011, 12:47 PM
I agree with the "passion" and "love" part, but I don't think it's lesbian love lol.

The way I see it, the singer, the protagonist, the "I" in the lyrics, is a female, no question. The use of "wa" also further reinforces this fact. However, the protagonist is most likely speaking to a male ("anata"). I mean, sure, the "anata" in question could be another female, but I think a male would be more fitting here. I don't see anything that suggests "anata" is another female...

あなたをわしづかみする
葡萄色したマニキュアの爪
Here the dark-purple polished nails refer to the protagonist's nails.
"I seize you with my dark-purple polished nails."

女(ひと)は求めずにいられない
女(ひと) refers to the protagonist, as well as women in general.
"I, as well as other women, cannot stop seeking (after their loved one)."

Also:

憎んでよ 憎むほど
ねえ私忘れられないでしょう
Please hate me. The more you hate me,
the more you'll be unable to forget me, right?

AceNoctali
06-17-2011, 01:07 PM
AH!!! The dark-purple nails was the protagonist's, not her loved one's!! How haven't I seen it before, I misinterpreted the line's construction! Indeed, that makes much more sense that way, and completely clears out the lesbian thing. Thank you a ton for the clarification!

And, excellent suggestion about the "hate" line! Now that you say it, it's a much better translation of the line, thanks! :D

Just a last thing: for the "can't help but seek", I would have interpreted as "after his smile" rather than "after their loved one", due to how it flows with the "your smile is a mirage" line. Unless I'm mistaken?

animeyay
06-17-2011, 02:10 PM
Just a last thing: for the "can't help but seek", I would have interpreted as "after his smile" rather than "after their loved one", due to how it flows with the "your smile is a mirage" line. Unless I'm mistaken?
oh yea, that line is free to interpretation. it probably has a more generic meaning, and I just said love as an example, so "smile" works, too, if you wish to relate it back to the previous line. =)

AceNoctali
06-17-2011, 02:26 PM
Okay, I see.

Thank you very much all your help, I'm glad I was right to ask for checks. I'll make sure to give you credits for your help in the song's notes when I'll submit it! :D

animeyay
06-17-2011, 02:40 PM
AceNoctali
Nah, that's not necessary, lol. But I appreciate your appreciation. XD

AceNoctali
06-17-2011, 04:02 PM
Ha ha :) I really appreciate it, but please allow me to insist. I've credited AzureDark in the past with some of my Tokimeki Memorial song translations, why shouldn't I do the same with you? ;)