PDA

View Full Version : DISCUSSION - Subbed or Dubbed anime?

Tolle
06-11-2011, 01:21 PM
I just finished watching "Code Geass: Lelouch of the Rebellion" and found myself reading a thread about crying after the ending (http://www.animeforum.com/showthread.php?86447-Code-Geass-R2-25-%28Final%29-Who-cried-%28Probably-gonna-have-Spoilers%29), when I noticed that many people were commenting on the series finally coming out in English Dubbed.

And then I started thinking: Which does the average English-speaking anime-watcher prefer? English subs or English dubbed?

I made a poll to give the general picture, but feel free to contribute to the thread, writing your reasons for choosing either one.

Personally, I prefer subs as they are true to the anime and generally, in my opinion, have better overall sound. Also, it just feels fake with the English dubs. And the last reason for using subs is that it's mostly always available, contrary to dubs, which means the user doesn't have to switch between the two.

DeathBlade/13.666
06-11-2011, 02:02 PM
Honestly, so long as there's some sort of English so I can tell what the characters are saying, I don't care.

TomoyoSakagami
06-11-2011, 02:06 PM
Subbed.

Originality all the way. I wouldn't go to see an American movie that was dubbed in Japanese nor would I go to see a Japanese movie dubbed in English.

Gjallarhorn
06-11-2011, 02:07 PM
Depends on the series. Some series sound better in Japanese (Gurren Lagann, Darker Than Black, One Piece, Naruto, etc.), some sound better in English (FLCL, Cowboy Bebop, Ghost in the Shell:SAC, Full Metal Alchemist, Casshern SINS, etc.), while some are pretty much equal (Bleach, Kekkaishi, Yu Yu Hakusho, etc.)

Archaic Devices
06-11-2011, 04:17 PM
Like Xero said, depends on the series. I usually prefer subbed over dubbed, but there are some Japanese voices I just can't stand (ie Zatch Bell, FMA). Of course, some are equal, like Bleach.

Todd
06-11-2011, 05:50 PM
It really just depends. I can usualy watch either one. Doesnt really matter to me. But there's some series like Naruto, Bleach, Sekirei, and Gurren Lagann, that I like watching the dubs. But it's probably because of the strong English voice cast. If the dubs are bad, I'd go to sub. But for some series like Sora no Otoshimono, My Little Sister Can't Be This Cute, and Highschool of the Dead, I'd perfer subs.

But in the end, I think it's just the person's opinion. I go 50/50 most of the time. But if the series is offered in English Dub, I usually go for the dub. Because I don't really like reading the subs, I'm more focused on the words than the acual show itself. But that's just me. To each his own I guess!

D-V-L
06-11-2011, 08:00 PM
What Gjallarhorn said

Rowland
06-11-2011, 08:23 PM
I go with subbed because duh, it's the original source and such.
BUT!!
I can vouch for dubbed because first off, I am a bit lazy and sometimes I like to Watch anime, not Read anime.
But also sometimes the dubbed works out better. My best example of that is Black Lagoon. I just like it better and if you think about it, it would more likely be in English than Japanese.
But also some other little things, like sometimes toning down the Japanese puns, word plays, and etc. are not for everyone. Also some of the "kawaii" Japanese voices can get to people.

GhostInTheMachine
06-11-2011, 10:47 PM
Dubbed. I feel as though I get more out of it when I'm listening and watching rather than watching, reading and listening, even if the dubs are garbage (Lucky Star), it really doesn't bother me to much. But if there is no dub option I'll watch it anyway.

Capitán
06-12-2011, 12:17 AM
Both. I'm not like other people that prefer something over the other when it comes to voices.
However, there are very few animes that I prefer in dubs though. Cowboy Bebop was one of them.

Gauntlgrym
06-12-2011, 01:20 AM
i would rather watch anime dubbed, but if sub is my only choice, then i watch it subbed.

Elukien
06-12-2011, 04:17 AM
I prefer listening to the original audio which means reading English Subtitles. Depending on the series and if they got the right voice actors, then English dub series are not bad but not great ether.

Tolle
06-12-2011, 04:38 AM
[...]Because I don't really like reading the subs, I'm more focused on the words than the acual show itself. [...]

That just made me realize that one DOES focus a lot on the subs when it's in Japanese. I actually didn't really notice before now, but I guess it all has its cons :3
Also, Rowland mentioned something that means a lot to me when it comes to anime: the words that we slowly start catching up. I mean, words like (I don't know how to spell them, but you will recognize 'em): "kawaii", "Nani", "Naruhoto" and so on. Learning the meaning of all these words makes it easier for me to watch the anime, as well as reading it, since there's less text to focus on.

Also, and this is not a criticism of any sort, I imagine that some people might have a harder time watching subbed anime if they are not super fast readers. I think I'm a bit over average when it comes to reading speed and I imagine that being able to finish of the subs a littler faster gives extra time for actually watching the anime :3 Also, I feel like I'm missing out on something when watching it with dubs - I've been forced to watch dubs a couple of times, and it just doesn't feel right xD

But I guess now, that I've seen people's comments, that I should've added a "50/50" poll vote :3

Also - SUCCUMB TO THE NYAA CAT! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QH2-TGUlwu4)

Meteorkeeper
06-13-2011, 04:25 PM
As long as the voice acting isn’t terrible then than I prefer dubbed.

Also-
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=x-xSXXM79TE

animeyay
06-13-2011, 04:51 PM
I prefer subbed, or if no subbed version is available, raw, (I can usually understand around 80%-90% of the Japanese dialogue as long as it's not filled with crazy scientific or technical terms).

I was probably just too traumatized by some horrible dubs I watched in the past...=x The only "dubbed" anime I have watched for a considerable length is Pokemon.

36gamer
06-14-2011, 12:09 AM
Subbed always. There is no grey area for me here AT ALL. I've never found a single anime I've like in dub and I never will. It simply sounds better in japanese, I don't care how good the dub is they will never achieve the awesome greatness of sub. It's like asking if you like sugar or splenda better, if you like diet or non-diet soda better, or if you like fast food or restaurants better; there's no comparison

GameGeeks
06-14-2011, 12:30 AM
Subbed always. There is no grey area for me here AT ALL. I've never found a single anime I've like in dub and I never will. It simply sounds better in japanese, I don't care how good the dub is they will never achieve the awesome greatness of sub. It's like asking if you like sugar or splenda better, if you like diet or non-diet soda better, or if you like fast food or restaurants better; there's no comparison
Lol, listen to Kenshin or Goku in subbed. They sound like chicks. So yeah, the Japanese are capable of making bad casting calls. Shouldn't really use female voice actors for male characters.

36gamer
06-14-2011, 04:26 PM
Lol, listen to Kenshin or Goku in subbed. They sound like chicks. So yeah, the Japanese are capable of making bad casting calls. Shouldn't really use female voice actors for male characters.
Thats because the voice actor hiring people were guys. This is how that went down:

girls: so k we wanna like be the voice actors
hirer: but these are guys and you are girls
girls: yeah but we will do you favors.
hirer: HIRED

Nesh
06-14-2011, 04:29 PM
Depends.
Some are better dubbed and some subbed.

Kaitou+
06-14-2011, 04:33 PM
Original Japanese will always be the best way to enjoy Anime. Sure, they are good dubs out there, but Original Japanese will always be the best and there's no chance of there being dub errors.

FluffyDango
06-14-2011, 07:09 PM
Lol, listen to Kenshin or Goku in subbed. They sound like chicks.

Thats becaus Goku is played by a woman :P

GameGeeks
06-14-2011, 07:18 PM
Thats becaus Goku is played by a woman :P
I said that.

FluffyDango
06-14-2011, 08:22 PM
I said that.

Oh, didn`t read the last part :P

Tearsh
06-14-2011, 09:21 PM
I prefer dubbed but that's me, the only time I watched english dub, is when I watched Clannad After Story, I was going to wait until it was dubbed but then I kept seeing that it was an awesome series and I couldn't wait for english dub.

TheCrazyFreak
06-15-2011, 05:34 AM
Hmm, this is kind of a tough one for me. =/ The thing is, I kinda prefer the sub, because I'm all for originality on television, but with anime, they talk really fast sometimes and I only have time to read the subs before the next line/scene appears. What I love about anime is their facial expressions and things like that and with subs, I often don't get to really take that in, because I'm focused on the sub (if I look at the expressions, the sub sometimes disappears before I read it entirely, and I have to rewind). -__-; But some of the dubs are done kinda crappy, that's why I usually just watch the subbed series.

But there are some exceptions, when I prefer the dub (FMA - I think the dub was done brilliantly and I prefer their English voices). It all depends on how good the dub is.

Masakisu
06-15-2011, 05:45 PM
Generally, it depends on whichever puts the series/film across the best, and whichever voices I prefer. I tend to prefer Ghost in the Shell english-dubbed, for instance, whereas I like Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood more subbed, as I prefer the acting in them. However, given no choice, I wouldn't be particularly bothered (unless either dub is horrendous).

Akuma no Hana
06-15-2011, 06:22 PM
Personally I prefer subbed since some dubs are really poorly done and it drives me insane x.x'.

OtakuInu!!!
06-16-2011, 10:52 AM
Ah... The endless debate (?) about dubbed or subbed.

I totally prefer subs. I don't really like dubs since they change the translations sometimes to fit the mouths of the characters. And there are some terms, or even the scene itself, inexplainable/untranslateable in just one word or a simple conversation in the anime. And the voices are annoying sometimes. Sometimes they cut, or even replace, the opening and ending themes. Lastly, the dubbers mispronounce the names. Subs can sometimes help you learn some Japanese (mostly just words). And they do have explanations on those terms/scenes. I also love to hear their Japanese voices.

Masakisu
06-16-2011, 01:38 PM
I find it humorous how many of the criticisms applied to English dubs could also be applied to the original dubbing.

Gjallarhorn
06-17-2011, 01:37 AM
I find it humorous how many of the criticisms applied to English dubs could also be applied to the original dubbing.

This. I love this.

I think the people who are saying that Japanese dubs are always superior to English dubs just aren't used to hearing Japanese, or at least enough so to tell the difference between good and bad voice-acting.

And there are some terms, or even the scene itself, inexplainable/untranslateable in just one word or a simple conversation in the anime. And the voices are annoying sometimes. Sometimes they cut, or even replace, the opening and ending themes. Lastly, the dubbers mispronounce the names.

I believe you mean "I hate 4kids", not "I hate dubs".

OtakuInu!!!
06-17-2011, 09:26 AM
I believe you mean "I hate 4kids", not "I hate dubs".

Not at all times. You haven't seen the dubs in my country/language.

Vanilla Tsundere
06-25-2011, 12:18 PM
I'm a dub-fectionist. Basically, if the dub is really good, I could prefer it over the subbed. If it's not, I keep it subbed. ADV films does a great job on their dubs, so it just depends on what anime it is.

Kaien
06-27-2011, 10:01 AM
its okay wether subbed or dubbed because in both aspect you'll know what the characters' line of speech

but for me, it's nicer if subbed..it has the original voice actors & sound effects and you will know what they're really said (especially for the person who wants to learn nihongo or they really know nihongo :p), unlike the dubbed..its really really FAKE!!

Hypatia
06-27-2011, 11:25 AM
Its an age old debate. I still like my subbs. I find them better and the character's voice suites them.
Dubs irritate me for some reason or the other.

Aizen-sama
06-29-2011, 05:53 PM
I personally prefer mines subbed.
I used to want to watch the dubs. But i found out the dubs are usually "edited" and they may deleted some scenes(I.e Digimon,Dance in the Vampire Bund). So I stick with subs, not only do they sound better but they stay true with the anime

brolyx74
07-05-2011, 09:51 AM
I prefer dub just because it's easier to follow, or to watch while multitasking, however I have no qualms with subs. I actually prefer the sub in The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya.

nrL
07-08-2011, 06:24 AM
Most of dub sucks.

With a few exceptions, that is. Code Geass is the first and foremost of them and, so far, the only anime where I prefer dub over the sub (!!!).

ZeroBlaze
07-11-2011, 12:39 AM
It has to be subbed. cause I think dubbed acting just sucks. it's like they are not even trying. I can't stand watching dubbed anime.

Masakisu
07-11-2011, 02:15 AM
it's like they are not even trying.Watch Baccano! dub and then tell me that again.

Darkhallows
07-12-2011, 02:38 PM
Dubbed. Always.
First off, I love voice acting. I don't care if it's bad, I just love to listen to it and see how it's done. It's kind of an obsession of mine...
Second, I don't like having to put effort into watching something. I like being able to look away from the screen for a second without pausing. Or trying to focus on the art and subtitles and listening at the same time. I feel like I'm missing something when I do that.
Having said that, I will watch a sub if it's my only option, or if *cough*4kids*cough* they change too much.

Fate Testarossa
07-12-2011, 02:47 PM
Honestly I prefer subbed, Magical Girl Lyrical was ruined when it was dubbed.

brolyx74
07-12-2011, 04:59 PM
It really is just more convenient to watch it dubbed instead of subbed, just saying.

Kagome
07-13-2011, 03:29 PM
OH yes, the age old debate...but my 2 cents anyway:

Subbed for sure...oxo There are some Okay dubs...but they are few and far between. Most of the English VAs can't act. They either have not enough emotion or too much of it. And a lot of the time they sound like they're reading from cue-cards-not actually acting. Also, I've noticed a lot of English dubs cannot say the names of the characters correctly to save thier lives...Awful pet peeve of mine. 'x'

It's almost like the dubbing companies literally walked out into a street in the midwest and just pulled some random dipweeds off them-with no voice training whatsoever handed them the script and said: "Hey! We need voice actors! Read this and we'll pay you for it! Who cares if you can't act!" So yea...Subbed all the way.

Machipa
07-13-2011, 07:23 PM
I prefer subs. I like to read and try understanding some of the words they are saying. XD

FluffyDango
08-11-2011, 10:51 AM
This video fits here:
Warning though, male magical "girl" :P

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x0Cx2HMwjy4

ZombieWolf2508
08-11-2011, 10:56 AM
iI personally don't care. The subbed sounds cooler and all being in Japanese, yet it's annoying having to pause/rewind if it goes by too fast. When dubbed, it's a lot easier and I can pay more attention to what's going on rathe than being disrtacted by the words.

raqyee
08-11-2011, 11:19 AM
Subbed.

I love the language. Rarely I have problems with subtitles so it doesn't really bother me.

ZeroLT1
08-11-2011, 06:51 PM
I will say subbed seems to get it right more often, but I do agree with the general consensus, it really depends on the anime.

SwiftKill GunToting
08-11-2011, 08:24 PM
My personal opinion is this:

A lot of times I like subbed better. Has pretty close translations, original voicings, etc. The one downfall is after a while I just get tired of reading while watching. So, depending on how good the job is I'm willing to enjoy the dubbed version. Preferably so, cuz I just don't like to read all that much on my down-time. Sometimes dubbed is even better because of epic voice choices - - example? Vic as Edward Elric.

So, I'm on the fence. Depending, I'd really watch whichever.

Frederica Sawyer
08-11-2011, 09:54 PM
This topic paints with an incredibly wide brush. It's essentially just like asking someone "Ketchup all the time or none of the time?"; before you know it you're putting ketchup on an orange and life is horrible.

Kagome
08-12-2011, 12:29 AM
This topic paints with an incredibly wide brush. It's essentially just like asking someone "Ketchup all the time or none of the time?"; before you know it you're putting ketchup on an orange and life is horrible.

That's making it seem like it's a strictly black and white topic...which-it's pretty apparent by the majority of responses here that it's not black and white. There's a shiz load of gray inbetween area...o_<

Frederica Sawyer
08-12-2011, 12:31 AM
That's making it seem like it's a strictly black and white topic...which-it's pretty apparent by the majority of responses here that it's not black and white. There's a shiz load of gray inbetween area...o_<
I'm pretty sure I explicitly stated that it was the topic that asked a far too specific question and didn't say anything about what anyone else said, but sure.

-Ro-
08-15-2011, 12:47 PM
Dubs, because I just don't care :/

I'm willing to watch whatever version is more readily available.

Arumachinogunjou
08-15-2011, 12:52 PM
Subbed, because it sounds so much more pure that way, despite it's still dubbed, in japanese.

so yeah, dubbed in japanese, subbed in english.

HamsterGod
08-16-2011, 11:30 AM
Subbed. Though I like it best when it's RAW.

Disconnected Outsider
08-16-2011, 12:49 PM
I have to agree with Marida in that it's too specific of a question. Even though I read that post and thought about it after I already voted, so a little premature of me. ><

But I can't really chalk it up to one, easy reason as to why I like dubs. There are several of them, and it would take a while to write them down.

Immoral
08-16-2011, 11:45 PM
I don't mind either one. My only problem is that I usually watch subbed versions first. Then when the dubbed version is released I can't stand the difference in the characters voices.

Ezza Obsuna
08-22-2011, 05:16 AM
As long as I can understand it, i pretty much don't care.

Tolle
08-22-2011, 12:52 PM
Subbed. Though I like it best when it's RAW.

But that would require that one knew fluent Japanese, which only a minor, privileged group of AF would be categorized under :3

I have to agree with Marida in that it's too specific of a question.

Luckily, the discussion went in the desired direction and your point of view adds up in the pool of opinions. Pool of opinions looking good btw - thread gave much more insight than first anticipated.

rikumi
08-22-2011, 01:34 PM
Dubbed anime lacks the what-do-you-call-thing most.

FluffyDango
08-25-2011, 09:27 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Rn8aZ4mBAw
English Sanji sounds like shit :P

Disconnected Outsider
08-27-2011, 04:51 PM
But that would require that one knew fluent Japanese, which only a minor, privileged group of AF would be categorized under :3

That's probably another reason why I don't like subs, I get tunnel vision when I have to read them. I'm not sure why though, it's not like the TV is that big or anything. 0.o''

Luckily, the discussion went in the desired direction and your point of view adds up in the pool of opinions. Pool of opinions looking good btw - thread gave much more insight than first anticipated.
Yeah, I thought it did. ^^

FluffyDango
08-30-2011, 07:01 AM
For Fairy Tail I`ll NEVER watch the dubbed version, that dub is horrible

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3EZ4CuikviY

sal1964
08-31-2011, 04:29 PM
unless you actually speak 100% fluid whatever the other language is, dubbed is the way to go. Plus english dubbing always gets it right, since its always for americans they dub the way people actually talk. dubbing for other languages like Spanish and Italian is horrible becasue people dont actually talk like that, but they do get it right in english so english is the way to go. plus its a cartoon its not like your watching a bruce lee movie, they can actually stop the mouth from moving when the character is not talking anymore

Sui
08-31-2011, 05:29 PM
I prefer sub, and the biggest reason is because I want to hear the Japanese language, as I've studied it for over 7 years on my own. =w=; I don't study it as much as I should anymore, but I at least want to keep practicing, and watching Japanese things in English feels like a waste to me.

Other reasons are... Subs are easier to find, and usually (but not always) sound better.

I can't say for originality, because I have watched a number of American cartoons in Japanese. It interests me to see how things I like have been translated and altered for the Japanese audience. =w=;

SuXrys
08-31-2011, 06:57 PM
Subbed hands down

Why is this even a matter of question and discussion?

unless you actually speak 100% fluid whatever the other language is, dubbed is the way to go. Plus english dubbing always gets it right, since its always for americans they dub the way people actually talk. dubbing for other languages like Spanish and Italian is horrible becasue people dont actually talk like that, but they do get it right in english so english is the way to go. plus its a cartoon its not like your watching a bruce lee movie, they can actually stop the mouth from moving when the character is not talking anymore

You are not very objective, are you?

as for me
1) I Don't speak japanese fluently but I prefer subbed anyway because I think almost all dubbed animes sounds horrible.
All voice actors are better in the subbed versions as one example... Even the ones in my own language. Horrible, horrible, horrible!!! One of the few shows that I have seen that are slightly alright as dubbed is Yu-Gi-Oh! But it was also, one of very few and thus extremly rare.

Why people prefer dubbed is a mystery to me.

2) You don't think the way you view american dubbed anime is the same way as a spanish view the spanish dubbed anime?
"The english dubbed is horrible! People don't speak like that... *sigh* But the spanish one is the only good one!!".
You think a language sounds weird because you don't speak it.... It's natural.

3) "always gets it right"? You havn't watched Des clip in post #63 have you? http://www.familjeliv.se/Chatt/ikoner/smile5.gif

That's probably another reason why I don't like subs, I get tunnel vision when I have to read them.

I think you are just not used to read text while watching someting.
I am raised to do that, since dubbed tv-shows are extremly rare here in my country, but foreign tv-shows are not! American shows are extremly usual here in fact. Always american tv-shows http://ungdomar.se/gfx/smilies/rolleyes.gif that are in english. ---> So I have been growing up watching shows that are in a language that I didn't comprehend (at least before I learned english) so I have always had to read the translated text at the bottom of the screen. In the beginning it has hard read and watch at the same time, but now days it's as natural to me as breathing.

No problems!
Hurray for subbed things!

RyuTama
08-31-2011, 07:50 PM
I think some people prefer dubbed because they like the familiarity. I have a few friends who watch anime, but can't stand the Japanese dub because "the way they talk is annoying" (cue back-hand slap plz~). And it makes sense that watching the subtitles would make it more difficult to focus and what's actually happening on the screen. I've also heard from others that they don't really like the fact that a lot of boys are voiced by females (Naruto, Pokemon, etc), and that a lot of females in the Japanese dub are too cutesy/baby sounding, when some of the characters are teenagers or older. So, it does make some sense.

As for me, I enjoy watching the subbed (or RAW) versions for multiple reasons:

-Some English translations, especially jokes, can be beyond ridiculous.
-A lot of the English dub voices sound fake.
-As long as the subs are accurate (not "Americanized", if you will), it can be a very effective way to learn Japanese while being entertained at the same time (same with music, imo).
-Some series' (mainly from 4kids...) are just sad... not just because of the dialogue, but how they edit everything else as well.
-I've always seen Japanese as a much more interesting and appealing language than English. So why the hell not just watch my favorite anime in the language it was meant to be in?

FluffyDango
08-31-2011, 08:22 PM

I just have to reply to this stupid post :P
Most of the time english dubber get it so very wrong, most of the time it sound extremely shitty.
It sounds like the voice actors/actresses just don`t give a damn. On japanese it sounds like the voice actors/actresses actually wants it to be great.
And your reply sounds so arrogant, like your OPINION is the only correct one.

I have to ask, is your post a troll? :P
I`m really thinking you`re just trying to piss people off.

sal1964
08-31-2011, 09:52 PM
Subbed hands down

Why is this even a matter of question and discussion?

You are not very objective, are you?

as for me
1) I Don't speak japanese fluently but I prefer subbed anyway because I think almost all dubbed animes sounds horrible.
All voice actors are better in the subbed versions as one example... Even the ones in my own language. Horrible, horrible, horrible!!! One of the few shows that I have seen that are slightly alright as dubbed is Yu-Gi-Oh! But it was also, one of very few and thus extremly rare.

Why people prefer dubbed is a mystery to me.

2) You don't think the way you view american dubbed anime is the same way as a spanish view the spanish dubbed anime?
"The english dubbed is horrible! People don't speak like that... *sigh* But the spanish one is the only good one!!".
You think a language sounds weird because you don't speak it.... It's natural.

3) "always gets it right"? You havn't watched Des clip in post #63 have you? http://www.familjeliv.se/Chatt/ikoner/smile5.gif

I am raised to do that, since dubbed tv-shows are extremly rare here in my country, but foreign tv-shows are not! American shows are extremly usual here in fact. Always american tv-shows http://ungdomar.se/gfx/smilies/rolleyes.gif that are in english. ---> So I have been growing up watching shows that are in a language that I didn't comprehend (at least before I learned english) so I have always had to read the translated text at the bottom of the screen. In the beginning it has hard read and watch at the same time, but now days it's as natural to me as breathing.

No problems!

Why wouldn't I be objective? if I get the same idea from the dubbed stuff or with subtitles, then its a matter of preference I rather be looking at what is actually going on instead of having my eyes go up and down reading and watching.
To each its own right? hence the definition of forum. well obviously there's good ones and bad ones, I'm referring to the good ones like full metal alchemist or big o, theyre great would never watch those subbed. thats for your #1 bullet then for #2 I speak spanish english and italian fluently my first language was spanish and after learning english I can compare them all and English translations are always the better ones. And there is a huge!!! difference between how people talk and speak, I said how we talk, not speak. Speaking has to do with accents, and pitch and all that stuff and talking has to do with the way you talk, using some slang, and the way you say things not all by the book proper stuff like they do in spanish or other language translations, in spanish real people dont talk the way its translated so watching dubbed movies is horrible but if you watch a movie from a spanish speaking country its completely different. Well in my opinion english translations get it and if I can completely understand what they're as if I was watching an american cartoon then thats where the money is

---------- Post added at 07:52 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:41 PM ----------

I just have to reply to this stupid post :P
Most of the time english dubber get it so very wrong, most of the time it sound extremely shitty.
It sounds like the voice actors/actresses just don`t give a damn. On japanese it sounds like the voice actors/actresses actually wants it to be great.
And your reply sounds so arrogant, like your OPINION is the only correct one.

I have to ask, is your post a troll? :P

I`m really thinking you`re just trying to piss people off.

First of you sound like the typical over protective anime person stereo type.... I wasnt saying subtitled stuff sucked or anything, just my opinion once again hence the word forum a place where everyone can showcase their opinion. Ok so they sound like crap I dont know the difference I dont speak japanese nor anything remotely similar when I hear something from a language which I have no knowledge of it sounds like gibberish to me. I mean unless its a song, what? youre going to say asian languages have a better rhythm than english, thats why you prefer them? Well I'm not trying to piss anyone just my opinion, I'm pretty sure you think anime is better than american animation and its fine, I like both obviously american more than the other but theyre both ok in my book I wouldnt get pissed off at your opinion. oh and here I might be proving my point that you may be one of those anime stereo types, the other reason I like dubbed more is because honestly I cant stand japanese in my opinion they speak way too fast compared to other languages and it kind of hurts my head, plus I dont understand anything either I think its funny when they say english words but thats about it.

SuXrys
09-01-2011, 06:07 AM
text

Alright. I think I missunderstood you a little before.

About the "looking up and down" it's just a matter of getting used to it, I don't have that problem any longer as I mentioned before. The thing I don't like with english dubbed version is the voices and the voiceactors. Sometimes they actually find a voice that fits to the character, but the actor him/herself is not even near the quality of the japanese one. The japanese one is always better. Have more feelings in their voices, can act exc exc. That's why I prefer to watch subbed, because in my opinion it souns so much better. (watch edit)

Like Des showed in some examples before. Haha ;)

edit.
----
(just mentioning; I don't speak a word of any asian language... or I know how to say "kawaii" and what that means - but that's it. ;) )

Disconnected Outsider
09-01-2011, 11:10 AM

No problems!
Probably, I haven't really gotten into the habit of watching and reading into the same time because of that tunnel vision + my short attention span. ^^'' I'd watch subs otherwise, I don't have any problems with it other than the tunnel vision thing. Maybe I just need to try to get used to it or something? :\
I mean, I watch the cast commentary on the DVDs I have that are anime with the Japanese voice actors, which are subbed ofcourse. But they're on DVD and sometimes I also feel like seeing if I can improve a little bit. Not to mention what I read from what they're saying is pretty interesting. ^^ Although I still get that tunnel vision sometimes. >< It's just straining to try to pay attention to anime and read at the same time though. For some reason cast commentary is easier for me, if that makes any sense? ^^''

FluffyDango
09-01-2011, 11:17 AM
I have 1 eye on the subs and the other on the characthers, jk :P
I just read some of the text and then I understand whats going on, if they explain something and the text is long I may read it all fast or pause the vid for a sec.
Most anime is pretty easy to follow, only anime I`ve had trouble with is Ergo Proxy.

SuXrys
09-02-2011, 08:24 AM
For some reason cast commentary is easier for me, if that makes any sense? ^^''

A little. :)
Just keep on practising!
I have 1 eye on the subs and the other on the characthers, jk :P

I see both with both eyes at the same time.
hurray for me! ;)

Disconnected Outsider
09-02-2011, 11:42 AM
A little. :)
Just keep on practising!
Thanks. ^^ Practice, practice, practice! ^^ Glad it made sense to someone though, after I just read it I was kind of confused. lol But I did just wake up. :P

Sultana Yeasmin
10-09-2011, 10:07 PM
Dubbed!!!!

ACBlackJ0ck
10-10-2011, 02:35 AM
I've always prefered subs. Heck whenever I watch a foreign TV Show or film I always watch it subbed. Not just anime.

Seifuku-kun
10-10-2011, 03:00 AM
Never ever dubbed! The art of voice acting is so much further ahead in Japan than elsewhere, besides the language is awesome!

Screwby
10-10-2011, 07:39 AM
I prefer to watch it in the language it was made for, this includes movies as well.
Though I wouldn't mind dubs in parts where the characters are required to speak another language. The engrish parts in Chrome Shelled Regios killed me. As much as Japanese voice actors are better (in my opinion) to the English voice actors, that only applies when they speak Japanese.

Loxaerion
10-23-2011, 09:03 AM
subbed! i just love japanese voice no matter how silly they sound and also the japanese voice actors. and to think that some of the male characters have female voice actors makes me love them even more

Kazetori
11-01-2011, 02:00 AM
I prefer subbed only because I'm a language nerd and feel like I'm studying Japanese for my class while watching subs. Also it doesn't feel as wierd if you're in a room with non-anime fans and a character says something embarrassing in Japanese and no one knows wtf they just said. I also prefer the Japanese seiyuu's, unless I'm watching Inuyasha, or FMA... or FLCL... or Cowboy Bebop.... okay so I can deal with dubs I'm just a language nerd. *caught*

edit: I also appreciate the Japanese culture and language jokes. If I don't get it right away I'll research it then watch the scene again. I had to re-watch a lot of Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei.....

johnbryantwong
11-01-2011, 02:59 AM
Japanese CVs are very professional and I believe that only they can represent the characters to the most extend.

S o l o
11-10-2011, 10:01 AM
I prefer my anime subbed.

CaptainFloyd
11-14-2011, 05:57 PM
There are certain examples of dubs that really do seem to be even, or much better than the subbed versions (examples include FLCL, Trigun, Cowboy Bebop, and Slayers). But at times i do feel that english actors aren't able to do certain themes of anime. One being Moe. I'm not saying that I am a huge fan of Moe, but that I believe that when english actors try to read the same lines, they don't seem to really achieve the whole "cute" factor that the Japanese actors were able to portray. I remember watching Clannad and thinking "Wow, the actors totally understood the roles they were given and did everything right". Then I watched the english dub, And although the male actors did a good job, the females I thought just didn't know how connect with their characters as well as the Japanese actors did. Also, with comedy animes I understand the humor is a lot of the time supposed to be over the top, but the english actors a fair amount of the time come off either really dry or to much over the top to the point that they ruin the joke. I think both dubbed and subbed are fine either way, it just comes down to what your opinion is. Would you rather watch the sub so that you get the feel of the originality of the series, or would you rather watch the dub so that you can watch everything that is going on in the show and not miss any of it because you had to read the subtitles the whole way through.

.:neuko:.
11-14-2011, 07:05 PM
Short answer: I prefer my anime subbed.

Long answer: in an ideal world, all anime outside Japan would be dubbed perfectly; soundtracks would never be "westernised"; and because they'd be no need for subs (well, other than for the hard of hearing), one would never miss a crucial piece of action (as can be one potential drawback with subbed anime). If such a world existed, I'd be only too happy to watch all my anime dubbed. Sadly however, this is the real world in which many anime exports (and usually the most commercial) are dubbed poorly, resulting in badly interpreted and/or (sometimes) unconvincingly portrayed characters, especially in terms of timing and emotional conviction. Consequently and therefore, one cannot always rely on dubbed anime to be faithful to their original versions, and for such reasons I tend to go for subbed anime.

Ultimately, the best solution would be for me to learn Japanese - then I can have my cake and eat it! >=3

CaptainFloyd
11-15-2011, 12:55 AM
Ultimately, the best solution would be for me to learn Japanese - then I can have my cake and eat it! >=3

True,true lol. I do feel as well that in a perfect world dubs would be the way for me to go. But I have come to the understanding that no we do not live in such a world. Though I do need to give credit to one series that i forgot to mention, Spice and Wolf. The sub for this show is great, but the dub made the show in my opinion even better. John Michael Tatum (voices Lawerence) and Brina Michelle Palencia (voices Holo) are now a couple of my favorite english voice actors now because of how much their voices fit the roles they were in

Joker34z
11-15-2011, 02:13 PM
Subbed is perfectly fine I prefer subbed but some animes like Cowboy Bebop and Trigun the Dub is exceptionally well done and it gives the viewer much more intensity and feeling to the series in general

katlover
11-16-2011, 08:47 AM
subbed because those are the real voices and sotimes the english voices are really stupid and irritat me :(

~*Red*~
11-29-2011, 07:36 PM
I love listening to subbed anime, since I can get a grasp on the language and slowly learn it.

Red&Stiletto
11-29-2011, 08:00 PM
Unlike what I hear from most people, I just like dubbed more because of the fact that I can't read fast enough to both understand what's going on and enjoy the show. I actually really like japanese voices, I just can't keep up with it. :/

Light Buster
12-01-2011, 01:35 PM
Depends on the series. Some series sound better in Japanese (Gurren Lagann, Darker Than Black, One Piece, Naruto, etc.), some sound better in English (FLCL, Cowboy Bebop, Ghost in the Shell:SAC, Full Metal Alchemist, Casshern SINS, etc.), while some are pretty much equal (Bleach, Kekkaishi, Yu Yu Hakusho, etc.)

As Gjallarhorn said. It's just a matter of personal preference.

Volta
12-01-2011, 06:00 PM
My preference is dubbed, but its a slight preference. I really appreciate both.

TheWired
01-02-2012, 07:56 AM
I don't care how well lips match or what the caliber of the actors are that are chosen for dub, it is an insult to the original creation and inaccurate to the original intent & feeling of the dialog. In Japan voice actors are held on a higher plane than on screen performers and so the emotional intent & delivery is calculated and professional. When doing an English dub they change the dialog to simplify content for Americans who won't "understand," strip it of any cultural nuances or meaning and finally alter words just to fit lip movement. What you are left with is like 60% accuracy from the original content.

Also it seems that for some reason American or other English-speaking audiences need to have every silent moment FILLED, as if minimal pauses are an ERROR. One of the most disappointing examples for me was when they added a voice to the cat in Miyazaki's Kiki's Delivery Service to add a whole new element of comic relief.

Ughhh... *gets off pedestal*.... sorry but I'm obviously a fan of subs, if that wasn't clear :P

Yurika
01-02-2012, 01:35 PM
It really depends on the anime. Most of the time I watch with subtitles, sometimes I like the dubs. There a couple shows I'm used to watching (and liking) one way.

TheWired
01-02-2012, 05:16 PM
What I DON'T understand, however, is why poorly translated subs exist... even if it's a bootleg from Taiwan or maybe some 3rd party translating that doesn't normally speak English, how hard is it to have just ONE English-speaking person REVIEW their translation?

I'm currently watching Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex series that I got from Ebay a long time ago (4-DVD set for the complete series) and there's a scene where WRITTEN on a wall in plain English it reads:

I thought what I'd do was I'd pretend I was one of those deaf-mutes or should I?

The translation subtitles (which surprisingly didn't bother just copying what was on the screen) reads:

I thought I'd just become a deaf, blind and mute person.

Talk about a completely different meaning! o.o

Kagome
01-02-2012, 09:29 PM
What I DON'T understand, however, is why poorly translated subs exist... even if it's a bootleg from Taiwan or maybe some 3rd party translating that doesn't normally speak English, how hard is it to have just ONE English-speaking person REVIEW their translation?

I'm currently watching Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex series that I got from Ebay a long time ago (4-DVD set for the complete series) and there's a scene where WRITTEN on a wall in plain English it reads:

I thought what I'd do was I'd pretend I was one of those deaf-mutes or should I?

The translation subtitles (which surprisingly didn't bother just copying what was on the screen) reads:

I thought I'd just become a deaf, blind and mute person.

Talk about a completely different meaning! o.o

::Grins:: Contrary to that...I *LOVE* the bootleg translations. Not only are they often humorous, wierd and sometimes incorrect, but they also can show you how the Japanese sentance would be hooked together if you did a straight word-for-word translation.

Bootlegs is part of what got me interested in learning Japanese. It wasn't just to understand the language while watching anime-but to get a closer look into how they put thier words together-what they use-their grammar system. It's interesting! =)

TheWired
01-02-2012, 10:24 PM
That's a fascinating angle Higurashi Kagome - I certainly never looked at it that way, even though I have found myself laughing at it occasionally... there was actually a chase scene I saw recently in the GITS series and the guy is supposed to yell out something like "what on Earth is happening here?" and the text ends up reading "what happened to the Earth?" lol.

Either way I guess I can't complain considering I sometimes pay 1/3rd or 1/4th the price for an entire series. I think the worst I've EVER dealt with was a copy of Cowboy Bebop I had once. The text was so messed up & confusing I just ordered the Bandai set instead lol.

Amorok
01-02-2012, 10:47 PM
Ehhh. I can go for either one -- it depends on the production company. The higher profile, the better quality the dubs tend to be, so I don't mind. Inuyasha, for example, has some pretty good dubbing, so I'll watch the one in English. But Slayers, I HAVE to watch in Japanese, just because I can't STAND the voice actor they chose to play Xelloss x.x

SakuraKiss13
01-03-2012, 06:17 AM
I go for DUB :D cause I'm not very fond of reading each subtitle. I always wanted to hear things ALTHOUGH some dubbed anime sucks (Maid Sama! particularly, Lucky Star)
The only anime I really adored the dub is Ouran High School Host Club :3

If I know how to understand Japanese. I could settle with subbed. But for now, dubbed.

renfort
01-26-2012, 03:35 PM
It varies from show to show. Sometimes I'll watch dubs and never watch subs, sometimes one version then another on a rewatch. I tend to go more towards dubs because I don't like reading the bottom.

kyoshiro20
01-26-2012, 09:11 PM
Subbed ftw!!!!

Why? Well, I kind of want to learn Japanese, plus the voices in Japanese, with very few exceptions, sound better than their english counterparts, at least thats what I think.

SpeaR
01-26-2012, 10:31 PM
First I would like to say that I prefer subs and I will add subs whenever I can to everything I watch even if it is in English
I have have always preferred subs even before I started watching anime so I never have issues reading the subs and watching the anime at the same time

But I really hate it when people hate on dubs not all dubs are bad I have enjoyed a lot of them and there are some anime I do prefer dubbed
I can name a few Great Teacher Onizuka, Beck, Cowboy Bebop, Baccano!, Trigun, ect
Does it mean they suck in Japanese? No it does not but it does mean I prefer those in English.

Just depends on my preference between each show

would like to add this video here

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8IyItqjCAag

ladymulti
01-26-2012, 11:56 PM
I said subbed but really it just depends w/ me. I prefer the sub in most instances since many of the dubs of some of my favorite shows and movies are really bad, imo. There are some dubs that are really well done, though, and I watch them cause I can look away and do other things as well. For example: I like Fullmetal Alchemists' dubs; I like Black Butler's dub; and I like the Slayers series dubs.
..there are some though that you can tell that the voice actor just really didn't grasp the character or just didn't care; and I hate when names are butchered and misspoken (it drives me crazy and I find myself correcting(talking to) the tv or switching to sub).

Volta
01-27-2012, 12:26 AM
When it comes to the Big 3 Shonen, heres what it is for me:

One Piece: FUNimation dub. I think the VA's do the characters enough justice, but I will watch the sub, just because theres more substance (no pun intended). I wish they would focus on One Piece more and get more episodes out.
Bleach: I'm totally split. I try to watch whatever is available. Ichigo's voice actor is pretty good, Chad's is almost identical. I like Rukia and Orihime's Japanese voice actors better, the scary thing is Yachiru's voice actors on both sides are like dead similar.
Naruto: Subbed. The dub just totally kills the show and makes it seem more childish than it is supposed to be. Naruto and Sakura's English voice actors are irritating. The sub keeps the integrity of the show, and the emotional factor is a lot more impacting.

mangeassshajigan
01-27-2012, 07:40 PM
depends on which anime

mangeassshajigan
01-28-2012, 08:52 AM
code geass yuyu hakusho dragonball series gurren lagaan fma brother hood all of them i prefer dub
cowboy bebop one piece fma sub and dub are equal
all other anime sub

vrarsenal
01-28-2012, 10:00 AM
Dubbed I prefer just because I understand it.
Although subbed anime is more emotional and generally better than dubbed....
If I could understand Japanese, then subbed 1000x over.

mangeassshajigan
01-28-2012, 03:19 PM
code geass best dub evr
yu yu hakusho close second
db series 3rd
4th cowboy bebop

Rylingo
02-01-2012, 10:55 AM
It really depends on the anime in question. If I can get a dub that is good, I'll watch that but if the voice acting is bad I have no qualms about going over to subs.

In some cases I much prefer the dubs. In Haruhi Suzamiya I much prefer the dub purely on Crispin Freeman's great performance.

MarshB
03-05-2012, 11:22 AM
Prefer subbed..

AnKat
03-05-2012, 12:07 PM
I prefer subbed, but it depends on the anime and the voiceactors.. There are animes where I think the English dub is more suited than the Japanese.

Matt~
03-05-2012, 03:25 PM
prefer subbed since I look abit on their mouths and i easily get disturbed when the movement and sound isn't in sync

greywords
03-05-2012, 04:47 PM
Subbed all the way. Japanese voice actors are awesome and that awesomeness gets lost in most of the dubs, specially those in Latin Spanish. Also some parts of the script are changed. I must say there are great dubs too, Evangelion in Spanish was very good.

blueangel06661
03-16-2012, 08:42 AM
I prefer subs since most anime's I watch have not been released in the U.S. and probably never will be either.

Another thing is that I'm slightly deaf and sometimes it's hard to hear high pitched squeally american voice actors, so I need to add subtitles anyways. But the problem with that is that the subtitles for the dubbed versions do not match the dubs out of laziness to change it.

Plus with subs you get the full experience of watching the show. Dubs are constantly known to change words and sometimes go as far as changing some things in the actual show to make it more American friendly.

plumpuff
03-19-2012, 07:08 AM
I generally prefer raw. I find subs distracting and sometimes pretty inaccurate (though, granted, some things are very hard to translate). I am not a snob, though; if a dub is good, then I like it -- I don't dislike something just because it is a dub. I will watch a good dub... in fact I want to see Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica dubbed because I hear it's very good!

I just usually prefer to see things in their original state, how they were intended by the creators to be seen.

Thefringedninja
03-21-2012, 11:46 AM
If the English dub has quality voice actors and keeps to the jokes in the original sub (e.g. Ouran High School Host Club, Hetalia), I'll watch the dub.
If not...sub all the way!

GameGeeks
03-21-2012, 12:22 PM
Plus with dubs you get the full experience of watching the show. Subs are constantly known to change words and sometimes go as far as changing some things in the actual show to make it more American friendly.
I think you got sub and dub mixed up.

blueangel06661
03-21-2012, 12:26 PM
I think you got sub and dub mixed up.

HAAAH You're totally right... Duuuuh my B lemme go fix that... I only got it mixed up in the last sentence.. Da fu?

CrimsonMoon
03-22-2012, 11:25 AM
Subbed for me, because I personally like Japanese language, lol. Originality counts for me too. Though some voice overs are annoying, I pretty much will prefer them over dubbed version.

Nitzer
03-26-2012, 09:13 PM
Both but dub more because I Have AHD and it's hard to keep up sub when I move round. But plz no 4Kids ( that was scary )

Yayoushiko
03-26-2012, 11:15 PM
I like dubbed,The Japanese voice acting is so annoying and they all sound like female's,
Plus the fansub's make more mistake's than the dub.Like the one piece sub's they make no sense.

Eleke
03-27-2012, 08:00 PM
I have to say that I prefer subbed, but my reasoning is probably a little silly.

See, when I'm watching an anime in a language I don't know, I can read, "With the power of Love and Friendship we can overcome all obstacles!" and be like, "Yeah! You go, Love and Friendship! Right on!" But if I actually have to hear it? My reaction is more, "Oh, god, this is so cheesy and ridiculous. I can't believe the VA could say that with a straight face..."

pleasant_disorder
03-27-2012, 08:05 PM
I have to say that I prefer subbed, but my reasoning is probably a little silly.

See, when I'm watching an anime in a language I don't know, I can read, "With the power of Love and Friendship we can overcome all obstacles!" and be like, "Yeah! You go, Love and Friendship! Right on!" But if I actually have to hear it? My reaction is more, "Oh, god, this is so cheesy and ridiculous. I can't believe the VA could say that with a straight face..."

XD My reasoning exactly. Things just sound way dumber in English than they do in Japanese. The inflections for Japanese are also waaaay more intense, so the emotion carries a lot better.

However, if I'm really tired...or...perhaps not in my right mind...*cough* I tend to watch subbed anime only because it's easier. Also, it can depend on the VA cast. There are some anime that I've become really fond of in English because they had a bang-up VA cast. Like Princess Mononoke. I love hearing Gillian Anderson play Moro. She makes an awesome wolf God.

Nitzer
03-29-2012, 08:45 PM
Honestly, so long as there's some sort of English so I can tell what the characters are saying, I don't care.

thank you man * claps *
Even if this is old

DeathBlade/13.666
03-29-2012, 08:54 PM
thank you man * claps *
Even if this is oldYou're welcome. ^.^

Nitzer
03-30-2012, 11:11 AM
^ Thax .....

FluffyDango
04-20-2012, 02:09 PM
Just watched Baccano ep 1 in japanese.
Then checked the eng dub of same ep.
I don't get why the heck some of you say the eng dub is better than the jap one. The eng dub was just another crap eng dub.

Road
04-21-2012, 10:51 AM
I don't get why the heck some of you say the eng dub is better than the jap one. The eng dub was just another crap eng dub.

Well Most dubs if not done by a major company like Funimation, are all Fan dubs. Fan Dubs can be anything to a group of friends or some websites and lack the more professional sound quality or carefulness.

FluffyDango
04-21-2012, 10:55 AM
Well Most dubs if not done by a major company like Funimation, are all Fan dubs. Fan Dubs can be anything to a group of friends or some websites and lack the more professional sound quality or carefulness.

Baccano is dubbed by FUNI ;P
Baccano is licensed by FUNI and Aniplex USA. So there might be 2 dubs of it.
Most FUNI dubs sucks, becaus they use the same people over and over and over again.

GrimStride
04-21-2012, 01:06 PM
I absolutely despise dubs .
Over the years i've stumbled upon series which happened to be licenced and had dual tracks - the original audio and a dubbed one . The difference is quite obvious . The voice acting in the dubbed versions is horrible 99.999% of the time and it totally ruins it for me .
So i stick to the original japanese audio

highwire
04-21-2012, 08:20 PM
I don't get why the heck some of you say the eng dub is better than the jap one. The eng dub was just another crap eng dub.Are you trolling or are you unable to put two and two together? Given that the setting is New York and the dub is filled with accents appropriate for said setting, I thought the reason many people preferred the English version was extremely obvious.
Baccano is dubbed by FUNI ;P
Baccano is licensed by FUNI and Aniplex USA. So there might be 2 dubs of it.
Most FUNI dubs sucks, becaus they use the same people over and over and over again.
It’s a double edged sword, yes a number of voice actors keep getting used which may take some of the magic out of the experience. However, because some of these voice actors keep getting used - they keep improving, getting better with every performance making them great actors in their own right.

The share fact of the matter is, the vast majority of people here can’t point out bad Japanese voice acting if their lives depended on it. Mispronunciation and emphasizing the right syllables are both things most of you can’t evaluate when it comes to Japanese voice acting. In fact since a lot of people are arguing: “The original VAs always put in more effort therefore subs are better” I’ll add overacting to the list of things most of you are unable to critique.

FluffyDango
04-22-2012, 06:20 AM
Are you trolling or are you unable to put two and two together? Given that the setting is New York and the dub is filled with accents appropriate for said setting, I thought the reason many people preferred the English version was extremely obvious.
It’s a double edged sword, yes a number of voice actors keep getting used which may take some of the magic out of the experience. However, because some of these voice actors keep getting used - they keep improving, getting better with every performance making them great actors in their own right.

The share fact of the matter is, the vast majority of people here can’t point out bad Japanese voice acting if their lives depended on it. Mispronunciation and emphasizing the right syllables are both things most of you can’t evaluate when it comes to Japanese voice acting. In fact since a lot of people are arguing: “The original VAs always put in more effort therefore subs are better” I’ll add overacting to the list of things most of you are unable to critique.

I'm saying my opinion on it, that's not trolling ;)
I didn't like it.

Just becaus it's set in NY and has accents from there, doesn't mean they sound good.
Plus, american accents mostly sound like sh*t.

SpeaR
04-23-2012, 12:38 PM
Des
WARNING This is all my personal opinion

Yes you didn't like the eng dub so what? You judge the whole dub based on 1 episode? The thing is you watched the dub right after watching it subbed. If you watch them in a row ofc you won't be able to keep an open mind about it and you probably won't like it as much because you were probably getting used to the original. Now if you wait weeks/months and then decide to give it another try who knows you might enjoy it but at least you gave it a try. What does bother me a lot is people who immediately hate on dubs or subs because of their elitist view and won't give it a chance/keep an open mind.
But in the end what it comes to is preferences and everyone is different. For me the Baccano dub is one of my favorites does that mean it is better than the original? Well not really it just means I really like the dub.

e: the thing about Voice actors being used often can get annoying sometimes especially if you don't think they fit the role or you dislike their voice.
I personally have nothing against it. A lot of my favorite voice actors are because I really enjoy them in a lot of the series they are in but I guess if you dislike how they act or their voice it could bother you.
2 of my favorite voice actors http://myanimelist.net/people/8/Rie_Kugimiya and http://myanimelist.net/people/67/Kappei_Yamaguchi

Ayu 「あゆ」
05-06-2012, 04:09 PM
I like English dubs bcuz I can understand it without having to constantly read. It's nice to just be able to listen to what is said and understand it of off that alone. Mangas are for reading! Anime is for watching and listening! :)

Tho, I have to say that Tears to Tiara dubbed has a terrible voice actor for the elf prince warrior guy, lol.

Mugiwara-no-Basuke
06-17-2012, 05:51 PM
I'd 1000% chose SUB, because japanese is just a fantastic language and I've never seen a anime besides SUB, I believe the original version is way better than any DUB, but I respect who thinks the other way. Besides, if by any chance my fav animes (Shonnen like OP, Naruto, Bleach, Fairy T, KHR...) only were avaliable in the dub version I obviously would still see them! (and wonder if I'd like it the same or not, maybe yes)

AshureeChan
06-17-2012, 09:34 PM
I really can't vote in this because I like both and don't really care which version I watch lol

Tenshimaka
06-18-2012, 01:26 AM
I always watch subbed, I can never seem to stand the english voice acting it really ruins the whole thing for me. Beside's you can never beat the original.

Mugiwara-no-Basuke
06-19-2012, 06:23 PM
I always watch subbed, I can never seem to stand the english voice acting it really ruins the whole thing for me. Beside's you can never beat the original.

I have the exact opinion, but I'm guilty 'cause I never tired to watch a dubbed anime (I sometime's downloaded an episode that I thought subbed and opening it and hearing a brazilian voice just kicked me off and I quitted)
, I do like English very much but the japanese language, being also very very beautiful, is a symbol of the anime's culture, I'd say the two stuff are as difficult to separate as cereals and milk :P

Creasy
06-19-2012, 06:31 PM
Subbed! Definately ...##

~loyal~

Clayton_n
06-19-2012, 07:21 PM
I gotta say dubbed. I don't speak Japanese, but I know when they mess up witht he subs. Especially the malaysian subtitles.

Now I'll admit a lo9t of dubs suck, but that's because our esteemed translators try to clean them up for American Audiences. Card Captors. DBZ, etc.

At the same time when you imagine Hercule/Mr. Satan's voice... well you know who you think of and it ain't whoever did the Japanese version.

And these days they are getting better. Ghost Stories and Desert Punk were very well done.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kkJ9dXVeZfo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XpSvRc7pNbI&feature=relmfu

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SEkcBsj2x9E&oref=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fresults%3Fsear ch_query%3DPunkisms