PDA

View Full Version : Windows 8

Hanamaru Kunikida
06-02-2011, 07:34 PM
Microsoft is showing off demos for Windows 8. The interface of this OS is mostly touch-based for tablets but it also works equally for desktop computers and laptops with keyboard and mouse. They said the system requirements are less demanding than Windows 7. The only thing they said about a release date was that it would not be out this fall. So I'm guessing in early 2012.

http://allthingsd.com/20110601/exclusive-making-sense-of-what-we-just-learned-about-windows-8/

http://allthingsd.com/20110601/microsofts-windows-8-demo-from-d9-video/

http://www.microsoft.com/presspass/features/2011/jun11/06-01corporatenews.aspx

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p92QfWOw88I&hd=1

No thanks though.

Ranshiin
06-02-2011, 08:07 PM
For once... I must agree with Xey.

My first thought was "Already?" And my second thought was then. "Wait ... why??"

I mean seriously ... what is the point? It just looks like some over-baked Apple iPhone OS ... I can't imagine myself using something anything close to what that could suggest W8 to become as a desktop computer unit.

That could just be age talking; age of someone who grew up with reliance on keyboard and mouse. But still ... it doesn't look very efficient. >.>

niKopol
06-03-2011, 01:23 AM
My first thoughts were "How could they smooth more edges, hide more buttons and make stuff even more transparent?"

But that is just ugly, its a step back from Windows 7, granted it is meant for mobile phones. The whole motion/movement based operation of an OS is just not appealing with the constant scrolling through windows. Windows Wii edition complete with gestures so don't accidentally middle finger the touchscreen or it'll BSOD.

Ashminigun
06-03-2011, 04:52 AM
I think they so eager to jump into tablet or other mobile platform market as Apple is currently successful with the iPad hype. Therefore, they develop an OS to eat some share of the Apple/Android market. I don't see any future if they want to run it on desktop that support touchscreen except for premium brands like Sony doing it when Windows 7 first came out.

blueangel06661
06-03-2011, 07:34 AM
What if your computer screen doesn't have touchscreen capabilities. :|

I'll stick with xp. It's simple and user friendly.

Ranshiin
06-03-2011, 08:54 AM
I think they so eager to jump into tablet or other mobile platform market as Apple is currently successful with the iPad hype.
They already have an OS for that; it's called Windows Phone 7, and imo it looks a LOT better than what this might turn out.

Also who in their right mind will use Windows 8 for gaming? You'd need a touchscreen display that's capable of high resolution ... gamers will be spending their money on their hardware, not on a damn TV that knows when they punch it. Also imagine trying to play call of duty having to use your fingers to push the screen to shoot things. I daresay there will be more broken TVs than there will be fragging. >.>

exaggerating a little, but you get my point. Pointless OS is completely pointless.

Ashminigun
06-03-2011, 10:50 AM
They already have an OS for that; it's called Windows Phone 7, and imo it looks a LOT better than what this might turn out.

Windows Phone 7 were developed to ensure Microsoft doesn't left in trail of dust (which they are quite left behind compare to Apple and Android) in the smartphone market. Windows 8 is sort a step up to capitalize on tablet market hype; borrowing some ideas from its competitors, ensuring theirs almost look and feel the same.

However, I'm also against with idea that who wants to do heavy gaming on Windows 8 without the traditional mouse/keyboard input. I cannot wrap my head on playing FPS/MMO on a touchscreen. It's too awkward.

FlashD
06-04-2011, 08:40 AM

Windows 8 won't be like that on an average user's PC. That's a pre-beta build and aimed for a totally different market than what you are thinking. -_-;;
The idea behind Windows 8 is that it will run on both ARM and the conventional CPU and not to change the user interface. What you are seeing is just a panel which will be used for devices with touch screen support, that means phones, tablets and embedded systems ...

zekes
06-28-2011, 03:13 AM
What if your computer screen doesn't have touchscreen capabilities. :|

I'll stick with xp. It's simple and user friendly.

I have the same point of view too. I don't think I can grasp on that kind of interface in an instant because I find mouse and keyboard keypads working effectively. What about those people who have bigger and thick fingers? Maybe they will find it hard to use that operating system on touchscreen supported computer.

Sejskaler
07-14-2011, 11:10 AM
Windows 8...
If it does not amuse, i do not know how long microsoft has left :(

It seems to be good graphical, but i think they should think more about performance ^^

Also, windows 8 builds have already been leaked, they just fail at securing it -.-

Esmeralda Brendel
07-17-2011, 09:24 AM
Even after the releases of XP (vista and windows 7) i find my self more attached and user friendly with XP. Consumes less resources and works good to me. Only thing i find hard on XP is that it does not support DirectX 11 for better graphics.

Conclusion - Windows 8 is a No No to me even after people stressing it is a touch bases system. Hands Down

erika08
10-05-2011, 03:54 AM
Even after the releases of XP (vista and windows 7) i find my self more attached and user friendly with XP. Consumes less resources and works good to me. Only thing i find hard on XP is that it does not support DirectX 11 for better graphics.

Conclusion - Windows 8 is a No No to me even after people stressing it is a touch bases system. Hands Down

XP is really user friendly, as technology change, accept the fact that there's no permanent in this world, like OS, it change and also improve, all we need to do is adjust to the adcancement of technology.

DeathBlade/13.666
10-05-2011, 06:36 PM
Well, After playing with Win8 for a while. (I obtained a production preveiw "pre-beta" of it from my dad that he got from MS themselves to test it.) It runs and works just like Win7, but with the touch-screen interface. The Metro interface can be turned off with a downloaded software (Thanks FlashD), if you do not have a touch-screen to use. The thing with it is that it's a bit different. It takes time to get used to, and some may not want to. Otherwise, if your happy with Win7 and have the urge to upgrade, you can get Win8 and enjoy it, or make it like Win7 and enjoy it more. As for the whole Windows Phone 7, that OS is nice for a smartphone, but for Tablets and Computers with Touch-Screen monitors, it falls vastly short. Win8 is what those with tablets and computers with Touch-Screens need, though I think it'll work fine for smartphones as well.

Arrisu
10-05-2011, 06:55 PM
I feel like an old lady who can't keep up with technology and doesn't want to. I'm currentely happy with my cute little netbook for school, online shopping, anime streaming and foruming. I couldn't see myself paying more for a new OS that already works perfectly fine on my computer. ;l I'll be sticking with Windows 7 until Windows 10 or something. Lol.

TheAsterisk!
10-06-2011, 07:24 PM
Also, windows 8 builds have already been leaked, they just fail at securing it -.-
No, they made an early build available for testing/sampling under a slew of license restrictions. You can (or could- I haven't checked in a while) download it from Microsoft's site.

bluediamond
11-12-2011, 06:20 PM
They made it into something like an app phone! PCs are PCs for a reason =.="... I'll make sure to stick with Windows 7 :P

Aizmov
11-14-2011, 11:53 AM
I ran the DP and I think it is really good better than Windows 7 but still not enough for me to switch back to Windows.

vrarsenal
12-13-2011, 12:49 PM
This new Windows gives 100 on the Acid 3 test.
Windows 7 used to give 23.
Obviously all other browsers gave 100.

Kaitou Ace
12-13-2011, 01:47 PM
It doesn't look too bad, and really XP was better then Vista, but 7 is already a lot better than XP ever was. I will probably switch up to 8, but not until it goes gold, I tend to dislike running RC's or earlier on any of my main boxes.

Matt~
12-13-2011, 02:57 PM
Havent looked into it that mutch ill just give it a try when it releases the full version, i aint downloading some half finished crap...

KageNoNeko
01-17-2012, 03:14 PM
My first impression when I heard about this and saw it was this looks like something that Playschool would design. Also, I decided before I got the current laptop that I have that I wasn't going to pay Windows 8 any such mind.

However, I have been feeling like I should go back to Vista because Firefox hasn't worked as well as what it did on Vista since I started using Windows 7.

Ryuu No Kage
01-25-2012, 08:34 AM
Judging from all the posts on here I would rather just stick with my windows 7

ACBlackJ0ck
02-18-2012, 07:52 AM
I don't like the looks of it. It doesn't look good. But then again, 7 works perfectly. Even more so than other OS's I've had. So there is no need for change