PDA

View Full Version : What is the artwork at the end of Urasawa's Monster episodes from?

jimmyzen
05-27-2011, 12:34 PM
I really liked the watercolors (I think that's what they are) that appear along with the closing credits on Naoki Urasawa's Monster. They are the ones of the chubby witch or monster in the purple robe with the pointy hat and sharp teeth. They appear to the right of the closing credits at the end of each episode. As the series progresses, the story seems to be that the creature is alone. It spots a villiage and runs to it for what I assume is contact with other beings. The creature is met by a large man who promptly grabs and eats him or her or it. The irony of the monster not being the true monster fits perfectly with the theme of the series.

I've been trying to find out if the pictures are from another book, a fairy tale, or were specially made for the Monster anime series. I'd really like to see them full screen and see the whole series of them if such a thing exists.

If anybody knows where/what they are from and where I could see them or buy a book or whatever that contains them I would appreciate it.

Gjallarhorn
05-27-2011, 01:46 PM
It's not from anything. It's from the storybook that is mentioned in the story, that Johan (was that his name) tries to turn his life into. I never watched the anime, but in the manga one of the chapters was the telling of the story in typical childrens-fantasy-book style. It's likely just watercolor images based on those pages.

If you're wondering if they're from an actual story, no, they're not.

jimmyzen
05-27-2011, 11:48 PM
It's not from anything. It's from the storybook that is mentioned in the story, that Johan (was that his name) tries to turn his life into. I never watched the anime, but in the manga one of the chapters was the telling of the story in typical childrens-fantasy-book style. It's likely just watercolor images based on those pages.

If you're wondering if they're from an actual story, no, they're not.

Thanks. I thought they may have been particular to the story since there was no specific credit given to them. I don't recall there being anything specific mentioned in the anime about Johan's childhood in regards to these being from a book from his childhood. Maybe it will come up later on.

It's too bad because they are some really neat pictures.

jimmyzen
05-31-2011, 01:41 AM
In chapter 33 of the series Johan sees a picturebook in a library by a Czech author/illustrator that produces a reaction in him that starts him screaming and causes him to collapse. In the scene Johan is looking for a picturebook for one of the children who survived his "game" of jumping from the roof of a tall building. The child is grounded by his mother and is not allowed to leave the house, watch television, or anything. Johan is visiting him and thell the kid that nothing is worse than boredom and that he will bring the kid something next time he visits him. At the library, while there on other business, Johan asks a girl working there (another character in the story, actually) to recommend a picturebook for his friend. As he looks at the one she gives him and decides it's too "grown up" she knocks a bunch of books off the shelf. As Johan had her pick them up, he discovers the book that set him off. As he starts into looking at it the girl does mention the publisher's name, reading it from the cover, and tells Johan there are a lot of picturebook authors from the Czech Republic. A few pages in Johan goes into the previously mentioned fit.

I'm about 4 or 5 chapters past that one and reference has been made to that book several times since then.

In the story the monster didn't have a name and went in search of one. As yet, there haven't been any images of the books contents and when they show the cover there is no title.

Doctor One
06-11-2011, 01:36 AM
When you finish monster you'll be pissed with the poor quality of the ending. I'm a pretty calm person but I had to replace my remote after a fit of disappointed rage.

miyuki_k
10-27-2013, 07:10 AM
It's from the book "The nameless monster" by Franz Bonaparta.
Read about it here:
http://www.fanpop.com/clubs/anime/articles/142586/title/nameless-monster