PDA

View Full Version : The end of TokyoPop

Gjallarhorn
04-16-2011, 12:22 AM
TokyoPop, one of the largest english-language manga licensing and publishing companies announced to day that they are shutting down all US operations as of May 31st; this comes only a few months after they reduced their total US employee count to 6 after several years of dramatic sales decreases.

Source (http://www.comicsbeat.com/2011/04/15/end-of-an-era-tokyopop-shutting-down/)

battousai_ryuu
04-16-2011, 12:38 AM
Nyuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu!

Capitán
04-16-2011, 12:47 AM
Farewell Tokyopop.
Thanks for the citation (I didn't have to go searching around for this).

Aleyna
04-16-2011, 12:57 AM
Oh my god this makes me as sad as when Disney said there would be no more Disney princesses in movies for a very long time. T_T At least Shojo Beat is still around, which is great, because I read mainly shojo manga.

Kaitou Ace
04-16-2011, 01:15 AM
http://media.animeglobe.com/images/attachments/tokyopop-bye_1302933173_400.jpg

Shame to see them go, but I can't say that was too unexpected. Our article on it is here (http://www.animeglobe.com/articles/2011/04/16/news-articles/519-tokyopop-ending-us-operations/index.html).

YuriEcchiGirl
04-16-2011, 03:28 AM
I'm not all that surprised to hear that they're going under, but I'm still quite upset about it all the same >.<

I've bought so many volumes of so many of their series over the years >.<

blueangel06661
04-16-2011, 06:16 AM
And this my friends is why you shouldn't read manga online........

Raise your hand if you're still going to continue doing it?

-raises-

OtakuWillis94
04-16-2011, 06:19 AM
This is truly sad. Of course, it was a little expected. But the loss will still be hard.

Misterex
04-16-2011, 09:01 AM
its sad to see that US fans drive anime\manga conpany's into the ground by not buying them just because you can read\watch them online for free :(

if everybody continues to read and watch this stuff online we are going to lose it all.

:bounce:

Shinn Kamiyra
04-16-2011, 10:17 AM
To Tokyopop and all of its hardworking peoples, I salute you and bid you a fond farewell.

Much like in wartime however, the fight continues on and the Manga revolution must be carried on regardless. While their company is gone, I hope that their love for manga won't hinder them from working elsewhere.

OtakuInu!!!
04-16-2011, 11:34 AM
*raises hand* xD :|

Even though I read manga online I buy some of TokyoPop's manga volumes. Provided that I could find some and in a cheaper price.

Farewell TokyoPop! You have lead the manga revolution well!

I'm sad about this. I have some of their volumes (actually only three of them, but still) and they're pretty good.

Gintara
04-16-2011, 12:54 PM
I just heard about this; quite sad, indeed. Hopefully the manga industry here will continue to live on. It's quite hard with all the economic hardships going on and stuff.

The only TP volumes I bought were the Kingdom Hearts manga; everything else I just read online.

YuriEcchiGirl
04-17-2011, 03:52 PM
I've never read my manga online, and never will either for I'm totally against it >.<

I only ever buy & read my manga whenever they get released officially & legally ^^

Light Buster
04-18-2011, 11:24 AM
With this broken economy, I wasn't surprised that they'll be next. Sad to see them go though but I am glad that they did their best.

Videogamer555
04-18-2011, 12:04 PM
Piracy hurts companies. Nuff said.

Meteorkeeper
04-18-2011, 02:04 PM
Rest in peace my friend.

YuriEcchiGirl
04-20-2011, 07:06 AM
I've never read my manga online, and never will either for I'm totally against it >.<

I only ever buy & read my manga whenever they get released officially & legally ^^

Whoever it was who gave me the rather insulting disapproving rep over this reply I made needs to know that I have no reaseon to lie about or over any of what I've written & that it is all true, and that I've never downloaded anything in my life online either, so stop accusing me of being a liar, because I'm not & am being nothing but 100% genuine & honest :(

animeyay
04-20-2011, 08:08 AM
And this my friends is why you shouldn't read manga online........

Raise your hand if you're still going to continue doing it?

-raises-
*raises hand
I'm a horrible person...

Harmonics
04-20-2011, 08:08 AM
Whoever it was who gave me the rather insulting disapproving rep over this reply I made needs to know that I have no reaseon to lie about or over any of what I've written & that it is all true, and that I've never downloaded anything in my life online either, so stop accusing me of being a liar, because I'm not & am being nothing but 100% genuine & honest :(

Who ever it was, was jut a hater. Ignore it. =D

Ontopic, it's sad to see a manga company go bye bye. It makes me wonder will the anime industry would be next...

Infinita
04-20-2011, 08:40 AM
This really breaks my heart to see that the company is falling apart. Most of the mangas that I read are from Tokyopop. I haven't been able to buy any since I can't afford it, that's why I read online. However, I do occasionally buy one every now and then when I can afford it. :3

blueangel06661
04-20-2011, 01:37 PM
I buy manga's I like and wish to support. Though buying all the volumes of the hundred or so manga I've read is out of the question...

Kaitou+
04-20-2011, 01:42 PM
I download 212341241241512341234GB of Anime and Manga and when I get the money and things get published/localized in America, I support.

How the hell was I supposed to read awesome Bakuman back in August 2008(for example) when it wasn't even here? People are idiots.

Token Black Guy
04-20-2011, 11:25 PM
It sucks to see the business go down, but it isn't a big shock.

Assiduous✡Aristocrat
04-21-2011, 03:58 AM
Not sad.
Never liked Tokyopop.
Why would I spend 5 dollars extra on a translated version when I can get a Raw version for 4 bucks or less.

blueangel06661
04-21-2011, 05:21 AM
Not sad.
Never liked Tokyopop.
Why would I spend 5 dollars extra on a translated version when I can get a Raw version for 4 bucks or less.

Actually they are $10.99 a piece. If you're lucky they are about $8.99. And luckily for me I only have 1 volume from Tokyo Pop which is the first Volume of My-Hime. A majority are from Shojo Beat. But I hate to see employees laid off but they'll likely go somewhere else and the manga creators will likely move their publishing to Shojo Beat or another company.

I've written & that it is all true, and that I've never downloaded anything in my life online either, so stop accusing me of being a liar, because I'm not & am being nothing but 100% genuine & honest :(

okay. One last question. You made a Shugo Chara thread. HOW did you watch Shugo Chara as there isn't a released DVD version in the US. The only way you could watch it is by watching it online. Contradicting yourself and thus why I don't believe you. You'll stream things online but not read things online???? :| pokerface

Assiduous✡Aristocrat
04-21-2011, 05:36 AM
Only thing I have from Tokyopop is the first volume of Eerie Queerie. Which was purchased used.

I also do feel a bit down about employes.

~Fallen~Angel~
06-24-2011, 05:36 PM
i love tokyopop! i grew up on the manga they made! i will miss you farewell tokyopop!

Fate Testarossa
06-24-2011, 06:14 PM
Poor Tokyopop, I have so many books from them.

Kittyinpink
06-24-2011, 09:12 PM
whaaat oh man that sucks , i loved tokyopop. almost every manga i have is by them. thats a shame.

Gauntlgrym
06-24-2011, 10:19 PM
its sad to see that US fans drive anime\manga conpany's into the ground by not buying them just because you can read\watch them online for free :(

if everybody continues to read and watch this stuff online we are going to lose it all.

:bounce:

i agree 100%

i for one am against fansubs/boots/piracy in general. if you wanna read or watch something, then pay for it!

nobody likes a thief.....well, other than Robin Hood. however at least robin hood stole from the rich. american anime distributors aren't rich like sony/microsoft/music and movie industry/etc.
when you steal from them, you are stealing from the poor to give to the poor.
if you MUST steal, then at least steal from the rich.

obviously american anime distributors can't handel the loss, that's why tokyopop is like the 4th or 5th company to go down in like the past 5 years.

if people keep stealing anime.......im sure that down the line NOONE will be released in america. or at least VERY few.