PDA

View Full Version : Gurren Lagann? Opinions Please?

YuriEcchiGirl
03-14-2011, 11:12 AM
I'm trying to decide on whether or not to buy the complete collection boxset on DVD of this later on this year when it's released at the end of June over here in the UK ^^

Was just wondering what other people think to it themsleves as I've heard it's a pretty good series? ^^

FluffyDango
03-14-2011, 01:15 PM
It`s the greatest mecha anime ever!
Deffinitly worth your money.
I`ve rewatched it many times.

YuriEcchiGirl
03-14-2011, 01:24 PM
Thanks for your opinion there, I shall look forward to recieving it eventually ^^

Anyone else got anything they wanna add or say themselves about this? ^^

Jmosies
03-14-2011, 01:53 PM
I really enjoy Gurren Lagann. I'll try not to give anything away so you can experience it for yourself, but it seems to have a sort of boundless optimism at its heart. The mecha and character designs can be a bit wacky, but also very imaginative. There's some corniness thrown in, like some of the Beastmen mecha sticking their tongues out as they flee from a battle, but it's also larger than life.

If that sounds like the sort of thing you enjoy, it may be up your alley.
Anyway, happy hunting! :)

YuriEcchiGirl
03-14-2011, 02:05 PM
So if you're a huge fan of Code Geass (which I am anyway, lol!), this series won't fail to dissappoint? ^^

Lord
03-14-2011, 02:26 PM
It won't fail your expectations..

Next time you need help or advice concerning animes, you don't need to create 3 threads just ask about them all in one thread :)

Gjallarhorn
03-14-2011, 03:20 PM
Probably the best mecha anime this decade (though the mecha genre has fallen from its prime) that isn't Gundam Unicorn. I think it was a great idea for GAINAX to put to rest all of the anime trying to mimic Evangelion, and get back to true Super-Robo style. Oh, and it brought testosterone back to anime; something that was severely lacking since the 90s.

I wouldn't compare this to Code Geass, by any stretch. The closest similarity is their air dates. While Code Geass provides a pseudo-intelligent as-you-go chess game, Gurren Lagann is a straight-to-the-point coming of age story built upon over-the-top action, mecha, adventure, and testosterone.

YuriEcchiGirl
03-14-2011, 03:57 PM
Thanks for that, it's really helped my understanding of the storyline much better ^^

Am now looking forward to the 27th June when it comes out as I've gone & pre-ordered it already ^^

Jmosies
03-14-2011, 06:13 PM
I wouldn't compare this to Code Geass, by any stretch. The closest similarity is their air dates. While Code Geass provides a pseudo-intelligent as-you-go chess game, Gurren Lagann is a straight-to-the-point coming of age story built upon over-the-top action, mecha, adventure, and testosterone.

Yeah they really don't have much in common...if you're looking for something more along the lines of Code Geass, I'd check out Death Note.

YuriEcchiGirl
03-15-2011, 05:19 AM
I've already watched (many times over) & own Death Note as it is ^^

I just thought that GL would be the same as CG purely for the fact that it's mecha themed alone also that's all ^^

Shinn Kamiyra
03-15-2011, 12:10 PM
Gurren Lagann is an anime that embodies all that is epic and manly in this world. If there were such a thing as an anime crafted by the Gods, you couldn't even compare it to Gurren Lagann as it takes all that is godly and 'freakin blasts it off to the far ends of the universe and beyond.

To not buy Gurren Lagann would be to deny the essence of epicness itself, for which you would make me shed a tear. Do not make me shed a tear and buy it; for you shall not be disappointed.

That is all. -Bow-

Meteorkeeper
03-15-2011, 12:42 PM
^what he said lol.
But ya I loved this anime right up until the end...it had a really bad ending in my opinion.

validuser
03-17-2011, 12:36 PM
I watched Gurren Lagann couple weeks ago, and I felt it was over-rated. If your looking for an anime like Code Geass, look elsewhere.

In my opinion, CG was an awesome action anime, with a serious undertone. Politics, classic mecha action, superb characters, and no silly jokes involved. Gurren Lagann, on the other hand, is kiddish. The action scenes are sooooo over the top and exaggerated like crazy. The fanservice is sooo 'in your face' that its awkward. The story would have been considered 'original' in the 1970s. It even has the stereotypical three main characters - wimpy guy, tough guy, neutral female....oh, and spoiler alert: the last battle has old enemies team up to fight a mysterious other-worldly power that endangers them all. How on earth did they come up with a concept as original as that lol? If you still wanna see it, download it. Buying it is ridiculous. Trust me.

I'm saying this cause a friend of mine told me "If you liked Code Geass, you'll love Gurren Lagann". And oh boy, he couldnt have been further from the truth. I liked Code Geass cause it was awesome and serious at the same time. Gurren Lagann is silly. If you can take that, you'll love it (maybe).
FYI the mecha designs pretty much suck, until the second half, where they suck even harder.

Cancel your pre-order, and stream a couple episodes first. Don't buy it without seeing it.

YuriEcchiGirl
03-17-2011, 05:32 PM
Thanks for the advice there, and I may just do that ^^