PDA

View Full Version : Real life Robotic Gundam-type Mecha

TadashiED
02-18-2011, 02:23 PM
I've always wanted something like this...but to believe it could actually happen is amazing.

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/interest/2011-02-17/robotic-mecha-proposed-for-japanese-party-manifesto

Discuss.

Meteorkeeper
02-18-2011, 02:34 PM
I really hope this takes off and that they can find a viable market for them.
It will be very interesting to watch this develop.

Eris
02-18-2011, 02:49 PM
Humanoid robots much taller than 3 or 4 meters is a complete pipe dream. It's up there with perpetual motion machines and cold fusion.

Copypasta from another thread on the feasibility of mechas:

Hey. Physicist with some engineering background here.

What makes them impossible is what's called scaling laws. Scaling laws determine how physical properties change with size. If everything changed the same way, huge human-shaped robots would be no problem. But things don't change in the same way. Most importantly, an object's weight scales as it's radius cubed, whereas tensile strength scales as it's radius squared. This means that an object needs to be made out of a ten times stronger material if it's made ten times bigger, or be re-shaped to be sturdier. If insects were made human size, their legs would snap and their exoskeletons would buckle under their own weight. The same way, if the human shape is made bigger, it won't carry it's own weight, so mechas are utterly unfeasible.

Shinn Kamiyra
02-18-2011, 03:00 PM
It's certainly an entertaining thought to behold; though we'll have to sit back, wait and see what the next couple of decades produces. Getting around the so-called "impossibilities" that some weigh the idea down with will certainly be a monumental task. -Grins some- But it'll be most awesome to see what comes of the efforts poured into making it happen if they can manage it.

Meteorkeeper
02-18-2011, 03:12 PM
It's certainly an entertaining thought to behold; though we'll have to sit back, wait and see what the next couple of decades produces. Getting around the so-called "impossibilities" that some weigh the idea down with will certainly be a monumental task. -Grins some- But it'll be most awesome to see what comes of the efforts poured into making it happen if they can manage it.

Quite right labeling something as impossible I believe is to be short sited and will only hinder our progress. Remember people used to wholeheartedly believe that flying and going to the moon was imposable. Have a little pride in what we are, we are humanity if anyone can find a way around a problem it’s us.

Elukien
02-18-2011, 03:33 PM
Thats pretty cool. However, the only problem I can see with this is that other countries may feel weaken in technology or military and which could lead to war. Unless they were given a Mecha for their country or if the Mecha was just used for other reason like something to do with space. Though if they were made, the company who made them would make a heavy profit and it would be mean that Humans are advancing in technology.

TadashiED
02-18-2011, 06:42 PM
Yeah I know what you mean Ensifer.
And also, everything was impossible at one point..yet look where we are now.
I am really looking forward to these things if they happen to become a reality.